ADVERTISEMENT

Last Chance Qualifier - Men's Freestyle Results

157 is the bigger issue

Yeah - depending on Brady's health, it's not looking like a weight we'll get a lot of points. Barraclough and Boone would be servicable kids at this point in their career and possibly even NQs but hard to imagine either scoring much at NCAAs.

That Hinkley guy is up. The dad whose daughter sent a cool tweet after he lost to Kollin Moore and people were trying to dunk on him

Lee would have won 149 this year at NCAA’s too. Weak class. I think Lee would pound Sasso and NC’s Post Malone.

While I agree he would have beaten Sasso and Post lol, next year we should see Yianni back in the mix. I believe I seen the plan for this year was going to be Yianni at 49. I think Lee is the favorite at whatever weight Yianni is not at. I'm sure Lee would love a shot at Yianni, but I would rather see him at whatever weight Yianni is not. Just being honest, but I don't think Lee (alone with everyone) beats Yianni. Yianni is such a good scrambler and can score from anywhere off of anything, he's a special talent, much like Spencer.

Last edited:
While I agree he would have beaten Sasso and Post lol, next year we should see Yanni back in the mix. I believe I seen the plan for this year was going to be Yanni at 49. I think Lee is the favorite at whatever weight Yanni is not at. I'm sure Lee would love a shot at Yanni, but I would rather see him at whatever weight Yanni is not. Just being honest, but I don't think Lee (alone with everyone) beats Yanni. Yanni is such a good scrambler and can score from anywhere off of anything, he's a special talent, much like Spencer.
Forgot about Yanni. He’s a hyper talent. Personally, I like wrestlers like Zain rather than ‘ankle divers’ or ‘gumby D’s’ like Yanni, but no denying his skill

While I agree he would have beaten Sasso and Post lol, next year we should see Yanni back in the mix. I believe I seen the plan for this year was going to be Yanni at 49. I think Lee is the favorite at whatever weight Yanni is not at. I'm sure Lee would love a shot at Yanni, but I would rather see him at whatever weight Yanni is not. Just being honest, but I don't think Lee (alone with everyone) beats Yanni. Yanni is such a good scrambler and can score from anywhere off of anything, he's a special talent, much like Spencer.
A special talent that deserves his name to be spelled right even. Y-i-a-n-n-i

Reactions: dbldoofus
6-0 Henderson over Van Ness, 10 seconds into the first. Henderson wins by tech in less than 30 seconds. Great experience for SVN, now on to wrestlebacks.

Reactions: hlstone
Cenzo on deck, mat 1 vs #4 seed Tyler Berger.

Now wrestling...

Cenzo up 4-0 after 1. Easily the more aggressive wrestler.

Cenzo wins 6-0, Berger far more aggressive with his attacks in period 2, couldn't get past Cenzo's hips.

Last edited:
A grown man with all kinds of international experience should have do that to SVN.

This is great and humbling for his growth.

Now when flo ranks him 32 next year well understand what spey saw

Henderson was 4th in the Nation at 141 7 years ago (at a weight where freshman Zain was 5th) .... needless to say he should be levels ahead of SVN in free.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
I think the SVN vs Henderson match clearly showed how savvy Henderson is through many years of freestyle experience. I don’t think SVN was big brothered (almost big fathered in this case 😉) in that I don’t think Henderson won because of his strength. He won because of his experience in those positions and SVN made the small mistakes that a young wrestler will make. Those small adjustments are easy to correct. This match was a big learning experience for him.

The major thing I think SVN can improve may be his bottom defense in this tournament. He gave up two easy gut wrenches in this match and allowed some leg laces in his first match. Gotta tighten that up so that his neutral mistakes only turn into 1 or two points for his opponent instead of 6-10.

Wow. Van Ness just not at the same level as Henderson yet.

Think about it, SVN is still Highschool age, in a discipline that I assert takes 2-3 years full time after college for the very best just to become competitive at the world level.

Shane is amazing, as we have already seen today. If he goes 149 next year, and he gets a full season of duals and opens, I think he gives everyone not named Yanni a run for their money. Top 4 is not out of the question with this kid next season at 149.

With no disrespect to our current stable of young hammers; Beau - Shane is the next Jason - Bo, you can just smell it. The biggest unknown is who Cael chooses to redshirt.

Last edited:
Cenzo will face Branson Ashworth. Ashworth just beat Ryan Deakin. For the record, Ashworth is a guy that never got on the podium in college and just beat Ryan Deakin, further showing how important free experience truly is.

Reactions: kevin310
Cenzo will face Branson Ashworth. Ashworth just beat Ryan Deakin. For the record, Ashworth is a guy that never got on the podium in college and just beat Ryan Deakin, further showing how important free experience truly is.
A week removed from making weight as low as 157 on 3 consecutive days is gonna have a say in it too.

Deakin clearly isn't right, they alluded to something on Willie's podcast but didn't say what. Of course he still went out and wrestled, so there's that...

What did he do and what was the final?
I didn’t see him do anything. Score was 6-0–both scores (a 4 and a 2) were on Cenzo double legs.

Hall beats Skatzka 7-1, but gosh he seems small. Would love to be wrong, but I don’t see him beating Jackson or Gabe for 2nd.

Going to be hard to keep him off the mat for Penn State, but where does he slot in? Can he grow into 157 next year? A lot depends on where Nick Lee goes and what happens with Berge.
He will be PSU's 149 pounder next season.

The head push at the end. Just shake Cenzo’s hand and walk away.

Also, watch the B1G final between Nolf and Berger.

Yeah - depending on Brady's health, it's not looking like a weight we'll get a lot of points. Barraclough and Boone would be servicable kids at this point in their career and possibly even NQs but hard to imagine either scoring much at NCAAs.

Barraclough is a known quantity. For all we know about Boone and his PSU room development he may be the next Cenzo or the next hard nosed Gardner.

Barraclough is a known quantity. For all we know about Boone and his PSU room development he may be the next Cenzo or the next hard nosed Gardner.

I am not so sure Barraclough's story has been written yet. Granted with the elite talent we have in the room he 'probably' will be a room guy, albeit a very strong one for his career at Penn State.

Then again he is still very young and skilled and I for one will not underestimate his potential to continue to develop with Cael.

If Berge is facing more medical difficult issues than we think The Claw might just find a home up at 157. He could easily be a .500 wrestler next year and at some point, qualify, and then.... It's up to him. Could someone like him AA 2-3 years from now? I wouldn't count him out. I could see someone like him jumping into the portal as well and landing close to a full ride at a smaller school.

He is a 4x highschool guy and I do not think he is quite yet a known quantity. He would make an interesting interview to better understand his drive and asperations

Reactions: Cowbell Man and Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT