ADVERTISEMENT

World Team Trials Schedule

174 is loaded this year—but Carter is a hollow point.
He sure is. I've always thought that the cliche' "wants it more" is a dumb one. Everyone wants it.
I prefer to say "he's willing to do what others are not..."

That said, I'd pay good money to see a best of three between Carter and AB. That could raise as much money as the golf outing.

People who know better can correct me, but when I was in my 20’s (a very long time ago), I had always heard/understood that wrestlers peaked in their late 20’s. With guys like Steveson, Cox, and Snyder, maybe that has changed?

2 reasons.

1. RTCs. Having guys be able to stay professional athletes has made the greatest difference. Now guys can train full time and feed their families. That didn't exist prior to RTCs.

2. Letting go of the "Gable" training. The athletes are smarter and, thankfully, coaches are a lot more aware of training methods that don't require you to break down every joint in your body by age 23.

I think she was concussed this weekend. And she may have been further dinged up. Hopefully it is resolved in short order. She is a joy to watch wrestle.
This is just an intuitive *question* and not a conclusion. I wonder whether kids are wrestling significantly older people at too young an age such that their risk/reward is not worth it. I know younger kids are more susceptible to concussions, and their ligaments and bones have not yet strengthened, and I believe that “grown man strength” is a real thing. I think about precocious wrestlers such as Cade Olivas and now Kennedy Blades, who wrestle up in age as kids, and who get concussed.

Last edited:
Reactions: creamery freak
This is just an intuitive *question* and not a conclusion. I wonder whether kids are wrestling older people at too young an age such that their risk/reward is not worth it. I know younger kids are more susceptible to concussions, and their ligaments and bones have not yet strengthened, and I believe that “grown man strength” is a real thing. I think about precocious wrestlers such as Cade Olivas and now Kennedy Blades, who wrestle up in age as kids, and who get injured.
A good question. Biology comes into this. Kennedy is tall and lean. I wrestled and played soccer: every ding to the head by the mat or ball creates minor "concussions". The body handles, but how each individuals body responds is somewhat unique. I remember getting slammed to the map several times and seeing colored stars. I think I am OK, turned 70 - you just do not know until something happens.

May everyone come though their sports dreams in good health!

Reactions: Dogwelder
I remember getting slammed to the map several times and seeing colored stars.
I saw stars more tImes during my wrestling years than I can remember.
giphy.gif

This is just an intuitive *question* and not a conclusion. I wonder whether kids are wrestling significantly older people at too young an age such that their risk/reward is not worth it. I know younger kids are more susceptible to concussions, and their ligaments and bones have not yet strengthened, and I believe that “grown man strength” is a real thing. I think about precocious wrestlers such as Cade Olivas and now Kennedy Blades, who wrestle up in age as kids, and who get concussed.

An interesting topic, and worth thinking about.

Where I see the biggest variance in physical development is not with the elite HS kids wrestling in Sr level events.
It's the pre(or just starting)pubescent high school freshman wrestling against the 18-19 year old senior.

Watch what Carter did at the end of his first TD vs Jason. Transitioned to taking Jason to his back. In a position where they’d still be wrestling in folk.

Didn’t earn him any points in FS, but he’s going to get some early termination matches this year if he can do that to Jason Nolf.

There are only a handful of wrestlers in America who could do that to 79kg Nolf, and before today I didn’t think any of them still had NCAA eligibility.
We're predicting pins because he turned over a limp Jason Nolf 2 seconds after the whistle out of bounds? You and I both could have done that because Nolf wasn't resisting lol. There are better reasons to think his bonus will increase.

We're predicting pins because he turned over a limp Jason Nolf 2 seconds after the whistle out of bounds? You and I both could have done that because Nolf wasn't resisting lol. There are better reasons to think his bonus will increase.
I was going to comment this actually. Parris looked like he could have pinned Gable end of the 1st in the 2020 B1G finals also.

That being said and it's been said here a few times. Carter was not at his best last year, I thought it was pretty obvious. He really blue collar grinded his way to a lot of his wins, a lot of SV and rideout wins. His match to Washington was actually not remotely concerning, I thought his matches against Krattiger and Fisher showed something was off with him more. They were not NQ even and he was barely hanging on.

I was going to comment this actually. Parris looked like he could have pinned Gable end of the 1st in the 2020 B1G finals also.

That being said and it's been said here a few times. Carter was not at his best last year, I thought it was pretty obvious. He really blue collar grinded his way to a lot of his wins, a lot of SV and rideout wins. His match to Washington was actually not remotely concerning, I thought his matches against Krattiger and Fisher showed something was off with him more. They were not NQ even and he was barely hanging on.
Idk if I agree something was off. I just think his quality of competition was way higher than his redshirt year. He looked a little rusty that first weekend for sure (the whole team did), but after those first 2 weeks, he was just wrestling a top 5 guy every week because 174 was so deep in the big ten.

The best guy he bonused his redshirt year was #21 Spencer Carey (13-5 major) and there were several worse guys he didn't bonus that year. Sometimes redshirt years can inflate bonus expectations because guys run through easy competition. We all thought Warner was going to be a bonus machine too (not to compare the two before I get yelled at).

I expect a bunch of majors this year. If he can consistently get to his tilt series from the Washington match, maybe some techs. I was surprised to not see that more. He seemed content to sit on the ankle and ride.

This is eerily similar to Brady's concussion at Jr Worlds.
There was actually a really similar situation with Christian Carroll at that duals event in PA this spring. I've never seen someone go out standing like that. He went to tie up and then just fell over. You can imagine the Berge thing easily with the knee to the head, but this was very bizarre and frightening.

She looked off all weekend. She went out in the semis too while in on a low single. They almost look like epileptic events.

Idk if I agree something was off. I just think his quality of competition was way higher than his redshirt year. He looked a little rusty that first weekend for sure (the whole team did), but after those first 2 weeks, he was just wrestling a top 5 guy every week because 174 was so deep in the big ten.

The best guy he bonused his redshirt year was #21 Spencer Carey (13-5 major) and there were several worse guys he didn't bonus that year. Sometimes redshirt years can inflate bonus expectations because guys run through easy competition. We all thought Warner was going to be a bonus machine too (not to compare the two before I get yelled at).

I expect a bunch of majors this year. If he can consistently get to his tilt series from the Washington match, maybe some techs. I was surprised to not see that more. He seemed content to sit on the ankle and ride.
*puts on ignore because you compared Jacob Warner and Carter Starocci*

All kidding aside, fair analysis. I still think something was off because Carter was taking down Skatzka at will in the Fall.

Also, Washington is brutally bad on bottom, like maybe the worst I've ever seen from a guy you would consider an AA threat. People criticize Micah Jordan but he really only got ridden/turned by elite riders (Zain, Nolf, Ashnault) ... Washington I think gets turned by anyone basically.

*puts on ignore because you compared Jacob Warner and Carter Starocci*

All kidding aside, fair analysis. I still think something was off because Carter was taking down Skatzka at will in the Fall.

Also, Washington is brutally bad on bottom, like maybe the worst I've ever seen from a guy you would consider an AA threat. People criticize Micah Jordan but he really only got ridden/turned by elite riders (Zain, Nolf, Ashnault) ... Washington I think gets turned by anyone basically.
This is true lol. I watched him take a several point lead into the third in the state finals, choose down, and get turned like a top to lose.

We'll see. He did wrestle at the trials right after NCAA's and did so up 15 lbs with Bo, Brooks, and DT in the bracket. I have a hard time believing he would do that if he was banged up. Idk if a preseason freestyle match is a good indicator compared to a full redshirt year. I think he's more of a RBY/Brooks bonus guy than a Nolf. Should pick up lots of majors this year.

Now that Warnerov somehow got dragged into the WTT thread, let’s get it back on track -

October 2nd will be here before we know it.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Now that Warnerov somehow got dragged into the WTT thread, let’s get it back on track -

October 2nd will be here before we know it.

How far is Norway from Iceland?

Reactions: diggerpup

Yeah Carter sure struggled last year. He barely won NCAAs as a freshman and only has four years of eligibility left. For sure underperformed.

Yeah Carter sure struggled last year. He barely won NCAAs as a freshman and only has four years of eligibility left. For sure underperformed.
I think you're missing my point, I said I don't think Carter was his best self. @js8793 has a fair analysis but I think Carter is going to be shooting a lot more going forward and looking for turns. As much as I hate to admit it, yes, Penn State wrestlers have mastered the ankle hook ride and use it as they need.

I think you're missing my point, I said I don't think Carter was his best self. @js8793 has a fair analysis but I think Carter is going to be shooting a lot more going forward and looking for turns. As much as I hate to admit it, yes, Penn State wrestlers have mastered the ankle hook ride and use it as they need.
hey if the rules reward riding time, then you do what you have to do. not pretty to watch, but it was big for several guys in key moments. RBY riding fix was eye opening.

I think the issue with it from an offensive standpoint is that you have to come off of it to initiate any sort of turn. And once you have that ankle secured, it's a little scary to leave that comfort zone. This is where I could see a shift for Starocci. A little more confident and less risk averse.

Reactions: PSU Mike
Wow. Carter-Young, a freshman at Northwestern, takes out Gross 15-12 to take 3rd at a senior level WTT tournament. Impressive.

He finished 2nd at Junior WTT, dropping two straight matches to Jesse Mendez. That was the first time I had heard of him. Definitely an impressive run

Reactions: diggerpup
hey if the rules reward riding time, then you do what you have to do. not pretty to watch, but it was big for several guys in key moments. RBY riding fix was eye opening.[...]
Riding the opponent can be fun to watch, a la RBY-Fix match, as long as the bottom guy is fighting to get out. A lot might disagree, but I would rather watch RBY-Fix all day long over FS and its weird and questionable calls/rules.

Riding the opponent can be fun to watch, a la RBY-Fix match, as long as the bottom guy is fighting to get out. A lot might disagree, but I would rather watch RBY-Fix all day long over FS and its weird and questionable calls/rules.
My favorite rides in memory are that one, Zain vs Steiber, and Hall vs BoJo. The thing that stands out the most those is that I had a deeply vested interest. When it’s two parties that I don’t have a dog in the fight with, I can find it frustrating—but it is inherent to folkstyle, and as JS said, you work with the rules you got.

My favorite rides in memory are that one, Zain vs Steiber, and Hall vs BoJo. The thing that stands out the most those is that I had a deeply vested interest. When it’s two parties that I don’t have a dog in the fight with, I can find it frustrating—but it is inherent to folkstyle, and as JS said, you work with the rules you got.
Add in Nelson vs. Gwiz, once the ref made Nelson wrestle.

Totally agree freestyle is stupid no match should ever be won when its a tie!!overtime get a damn winner!!

Strangely enough in the RBY-Fix NCAA match, we saw more action from Fix in bottom than in neutral. But that's just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT