ADVERTISEMENT

Last Chance OTT Qualifier - April 7

I just watched the Bassett vs Ashnault match. He wrestles differently than Mesenbrink but is his pace similar? I think it’s probably the closest I’ve seen. Difference is Bo techs most guys at the high school level so I don’t know if he can do it for a full 7 minutes like MM but I bet he can. Pace is such a huge weapon for these 2 kids

Reactions: mcpat
rather than act like a child, why don't you explain your position? I'm getting the impression that you don't have a good position so posting derogatory memes is all you have. I'd love to hear your defense of the indefensible. Have at it. I'll wait.

Would Braeden Davis have gotten AA status in 2020 if he had been wrestling that year?

Would Quentin Wright have been left out in 2011 if he had been wrestling in 2020?

Last edited:
He is not "by all accounts" a genuine 4 time AA. I feel bad for him but he is NOT a 4 time AA. He didn't have a chance to earn it, and therefore is not one. I bet he doesn't think he earned it either.

Can those who were not allowed to participate in the 1980 Summer Olympics claim a Gold medal because they were #1 in their sport?

I feel bad for all the guys in 2020. They got screwed royally, but we cannot rewrite history to what we wish.
I don't think the 1980 Olympic comparison to 2020 NCAAs is even the same. The Olympics were competed, the NCAAs were not.

The 1980 Olympics would be closer to the Ivies and the 2021 NCAAs. In which case the USA Olympians and Ivy wrestlers both can claim nothing. (Well they can claim whatever, but it is not recognized. Like I can claim to be the King of Siam.)

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I don't think the 1980 Olympic comparison to 2020 NCAAs is even the same. The Olympics were competed, the NCAAs were not.

The 1980 Olympics would be closer to the Ivies and the 2021 NCAAs. In which case the USA Olympians and Ivy wrestlers both can claim nothing. (Well they can claim whatever, but it is not recognized. Like I can claim to be the King of Siam.)
You're the King of Siam? Congratulations!

Shouldn't the NCAA make them stop?
Not really. THey are not claiming NCAA champ or NCAA all American. There are multiple organizations that award athletes all American. There are high school all Americans who end up D2.

It is bogus but whatever. It is like a 1900s Pitt football national championship with wins over clarion, Robert Morris and a local high school.

If they declared everyone an AA that year or just granted it to random wrestlers instead of having a set criteria (top 8 seeds were first team AAs), then I'd think you had a stronger point. I also think most wrestlers given the honor probably don't value it as much as a "normal" AA. But the reality is that these wrestlers were named AAs that year and it's as valid as any other year, and it's fair for Princeton to consider Kolodzik a 4xAA, because he was
Named all American in 2020 by who?

This dog of yours just won't hunt. Put it down.
You don't think he's the King of Siam? Sounds believable to me.

I know you're thinking, "there hasn't been a Siam since 1939", but if he was a boy king, he'd only be around 100. Plausible. Just as plausible as giving out free AAs in 2020 to those who didn't wrestle.

Anyone know what happened to Barraclough? Injury default in consi semifinals?

Might have to send in the big dawgs to get Forest and Bassett but we want the duo. I don’t like the guy in orange in his corner. That’s not a good sign. Cael might have to make a visit.

You're right. My opinion is worthless, but no one given AA status in 2020 earned it. Body of work is BS. It's akin to participation trophies.

I guess I was extremely busy in 2020 (I was) and missed this whole issue.
Well how many people posting on this board would agree that Iowa was the unofficial national champion that year? 😈

Might have to send in the big dawgs to get Forest and Bassett but we want the duo. I don’t like the guy in orange in his corner. That’s not a good sign. Cael might have to make a visit.
Bassett and Forrest are far from a package ... in fact the only overlapping school for the two of them seems to be Penn State.

With Cenzo, I believe 20 future/present/past wrestlers associated with PSU/NLWC wrestling will be at OTT—close to 30% of the field.

Between NCAA Saturday nights and international success, PSU wrestling recruits itself.

I doubt the NWCA has trademarked the term "All American" and its not rocket science "naming" them, is it, after all that IS where they finished.....
And the NCAA division 1 football champion this year is technically SDSU as the NCAA doesn't name the national champion for division 1 FBS. But all fans agree that winning the CFP championship and being named National Champions by the CFP means that you're the national champions and therefore Michigan is universally accepted as national champions this year.

Likewise the NCAA doesn't name All Americans in wrestling, but the NWCA does, and we all accept their criteria. So when the NWCA announced their All Americans in 2020, why now all of a sudden do we not agree with the honor?

Anyone know what happened to Barraclough? Injury default in consi semifinals?
I was there. He hurt his knee toward the end of the match. He was up by a couple of points still, but he didn’t even try to finish the last minute-ish. He walked off the mat with a good bit of pain by himself, but was helped by Casey and Varner once off the mat. Didn’t look good based on how much he was wincing. 😬

I was there. He hurt his knee toward the end of the match. He was up by a couple of points still, but he didn’t even try to finish the last minute-ish. He walked off the mat with a good bit of pain by himself, but was helped by Casey and Varner once off the mat. Didn’t look good based on how much he was wincing. 😬
I just watched the replay. Hard to tell what happened. Couldn't see how the knee was injured. Could it have been a quadriceps pull?

FULL COURT PRESS !!!! is a Spyker-ism.
Forgive me. As much as I follow along, I still have much to learn. 🤔

Now, having admitted my shortcomings, I do have a follow-up. I read the name Lisa Morales when discussing GIA. Can someone educate me on the significance, please?

I just watched the replay. Hard to tell what happened. Couldn't see how the knee was injured. Could it have been a quadriceps pull?
Yeah, I couldn’t tell what happened in the moment either. Definitely possible it wasn’t the knee. Whatever it is, I’m hoping that it isn’t as big of a deal as it seemed as he attempted to walk after the match. 🤞

Reactions: railbirrd
Forgive me. As much as I follow along, I still have much to learn. 🤔

Now, having admitted my shortcomings, I do have a follow-up. I read the name Lisa Morales when discussing GIA. Can someone educate me on the significance, please?
"She's" a sweetheart that posted on GIA. The folks over there didn't care for "her". "I" on the otherhand loved "her"...

The NWCA, who is who names the All Americans in every "normal" year as well

You sure? Does the NWCA name all Americans every year or SCHOLAR all Americans every year? Are they the same? I can't even find their all American list with the exception of 2020. The other years they listed scholar all Americans.

Who were their all Americans this year or last year? Their team champ last year was Drexel.

Do you think Cael, brooks, starocci and so on even list NWCA all American on their resume? NCAA all American is the real all American.

Brooks and starocci did not even make the NWCA all American team this year.

This years the NWCA had 340+ all Americans including PSU's own Brian Borden. Who?

Congratulations to the NWCA all Americans but let's not confuse NCAA all American with NWCA all American.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT