ADVERTISEMENT

Last Chance OTT Qualifier - April 7

65 kg Kolodzik tf Bassett 10-0
Kolodzik earned it. I just went to the Princeton website to review his career, and they are giving him credit for AA status in 2020 when no tournament took place. Their first 4 time AA even though he competed in only three.

Reactions: goldenanimal
So, hold up, you are saying that he will never get bigger? Didn't Kerkvliet arrive at Penn State around 225 pounds or so? What is Cole weighing walking around at? 220? I would make a guess and say that he probably can eventually get up to 240 or so. That's not debate, because it's in the future, but we do have an example of a heavyweight at Penn State going from 225 to 255, don't we?
And don’t forget about Kerry McCoy

Reactions: creamery freak
Kolodzik earned it. I just went to the Princeton website to review his career, and they are giving him credit for AA status in 2020 when no tournament took place. Their first 4 time AA even though he competed in only three.

Kolodzik was named a first team AA by the NWCA that year, since he was the #6 seed going into the NCAA tournament. He is by all accounts a genuine 4xAA

He's a guy I feel so bad for about that tournament getting cancelled, considering he was in an Olympic redshirt that year and burned it super late, just prior to the conference tourney. So he gave up his last year of eligibility just to wrestle a few matches before the cancelled tourney, and didn't get the year back

Kolodzik was named a first team AA by the NWCA that year, since he was the #6 seed going into the NCAA tournament. He is by all accounts a genuine 4xAA

He's a guy I feel so bad for about that tournament getting cancelled, considering he was in an Olympic redshirt that year and burned it super late, just prior to the conference tourney. So he gave up his last year of eligibility just to wrestle a few matches before the cancelled tourney, and didn't get the year back
He is not "by all accounts" a genuine 4 time AA. I feel bad for him but he is NOT a 4 time AA. He didn't have a chance to earn it, and therefore is not one. I bet he doesn't think he earned it either.

Can those who were not allowed to participate in the 1980 Summer Olympics claim a Gold medal because they were #1 in their sport?

I feel bad for all the guys in 2020. They got screwed royally, but we cannot rewrite history to what we wish.

Last edited:

wow I walked in the kitchen for a drink of water when I got back the match was over!!

Absolutely. I just thought it was a bit preposterous of the poster to assume that every kid who comes in, stays at the same weight.
Hmmm. Didn’t PSU just recently produce an Olympic champion who moved up a few weights from where he first started.

Reactions: Delcolion915
He is not "by all accounts" a genuine 4 time AA. I feel bad for him but he is NOT a 4 time AA. He didn't have a chance to earn it, and therefore is not one. I bet he doesn't think he earned it either.

Can those who were not allowed to participate in the 1980 Summer Olympics claim a Gold medal because they were #1 in their sport?

I feel bad for all the guys in 2020. They got screwed royally, but we cannot rewrite history to what we wish.
The NWCA is who declares AAs in any year. They declared them in 2020 too. The IOC didn't declare any boycotted athlete an Olympic gold medal in 1980 and so it's not the same scenario at all.

Iowa included each of their 2020 AA's names on their wall of All Americans because they earned the honor. As such, Iowa has three 5-time AAs in Michael Kemerer, Spencer Lee, and Jacob Warner.

Disagree with you on this one. How one achieved all-American was different in 2020, but they were officially awarded all-American status. Our guys too.

Now claiming national championships, like Ohio State has for two of their guys, is entirely different.

I agree....very impressive! I've never seen him wrestle until I got to watch the posted clip above. I knew he is a high schooler and heard great things about him, but I was struck that he doesn't appear physically developed, kind of gangly. Then I Googled him and found out he's a only Sophomore. What? Makes this run even more impressive! (I know where have I been not to know this? :p)

Hope we have a chance with this kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnstownsteel
I like to think Casey Cunningham watched Koaladick tech fall Bassett and walked over to him, patted him on the back...and handed him an Iowa brochure 😂

Obviously joking, both him and Jax were phenomenal all tournament. Would love to see them both at PSU

I agree....very impressive! I've never seen him wrestle until I got to watch the posted clip above. I knew he is a high schooler and heard great things about him, but I was struck that he doesn't appear physically developed, kind of gangly. Then I Googled him and found out he's a only Sophomore. What? Makes this run even more impressive! (I know here have I been not to know this? :p)

Hope we have a chance with this kid.
Oh.. we have a chance. :)

Disagree with you on this one. How one achieved all-American was different in 2020, but they were officially awarded all-American status. Our guys too.

Now claiming national championships, like Ohio State has for two of their guys, is entirely different.
He didn't achieve anything and that's the point of my post. AA status was given, and that is wrong. I don't care who gave it. If you didn't earn it on the mat, you aren't an AA. Plenty of guys top 8 don't medal each and every year, so it's a hollow status to me. I know no one cares what I think, but he and everyone else given AA that year didn't earn it.

He didn't achieve anything and that's the point of my post. AA status was given, and that is wrong. I don't care who gave it. If you didn't earn it on the mat, you aren't an AA. Plenty of guys top 8 don't medal each and every year, so it's a hollow status to me. I know no one cares what I think, but he and everyone else given AA that year didn't earn it.
But they did earn it based on their body of work that year going into the tournament - that's why it was awarded that year, by the same group that awards the status every year. Respectfully, but quite frankly, it really doesn't matter if you agree with it or not since you're not the one who officially awards AA status to anyone. Those 2020 AAs are valid AAs

But they did earn it based on their body of work that year going into the tournament - that's why it was awarded that year, by the same group that awards the status every year. Respectfully, but quite frankly, it really doesn't matter if you agree with it or not since you're not the one who officially awards AA status to anyone. Those 2020 AAs are valid AAs
You're right. My opinion is worthless, but no one given AA status in 2020 earned it. Body of work is BS. It's akin to participation trophies.

I guess I was extremely busy in 2020 (I was) and missed this whole issue.

Reactions: gdcaracci
I like to think Casey Cunningham watched Koaladick tech fall Bassett and walked over to him, patted him on the back...and handed him an Iowa brochure 😂

Obviously joking, both him and Jax were phenomenal all tournament. Would love to see them both at PSU
And now go get ready for your Jr. prom.

You're right. My opinion is worthless, but no one given AA status in 2020 earned it. Body of work is BS. It's akin to participation trophies.
If they declared everyone an AA that year or just granted it to random wrestlers instead of having a set criteria (top 8 seeds were first team AAs), then I'd think you had a stronger point. I also think most wrestlers given the honor probably don't value it as much as a "normal" AA. But the reality is that these wrestlers were named AAs that year and it's as valid as any other year, and it's fair for Princeton to consider Kolodzik a 4xAA, because he was

Reactions: mcpat
Jax is the one guy I would love to see at PSU. His creativity in that room would be so much fun. I don’t think he comes though. I wonder what weight he ends up at as well. He is so long and hasn’t filled out at all. Think he’s a 149 once he gets on a college weight program?

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and mcpat
If they declared everyone an AA that year or just granted it to random wrestlers instead of having a set criteria (top 8 seeds were first team AAs), then I'd think you had a stronger point. I also think most wrestlers given the honor probably don't value it as much as a "normal" AA. But the reality is that these wrestlers were named AAs that year and it's as valid as any other year, and it's fair for Princeton to consider Kolodzik a 4xAA, because he was
I hear you, and understand you are just the messenger. I just don't agree with "career achievement" awards of any type in wrestling.

I hear you, and understand you are just the messenger. I just don't agree with "career achievement" awards of any type in wrestling.
Your reasoning is totally fair, and I agree completely with it in regards to the "2nd Team" AAs that year. Abe Assad has his name on Iowa's Wall of All Americans for being a second teamer that year and that rubs me the wrong way.

Reactions: ikS
Needless to say FULL COURT PRESS!!
I’d like to propose a change in expression. “Full Court Press” aligns with that other winter sport.

I am proposing that we replace FULL COURT PRESS with SUFFOCATING RIDE.

Any interest or any other possible suggestions?

Reactions: goldenanimal
I’m not trying to be a jerk, but by that rationale if this year’s tournament got shut down, Braeden Davis is a national champion/AA. I think if there is ever a reason for an asterisk, that year deserves one. Marinelli and Iowans do not support this post 😂

I’m not trying to be a jerk, but by that rationale if this year’s tournament got shut down, Braeden Davis is a national champion/AA. I think if there is ever a reason for an asterisk, that year deserves one. Marinelli and Iowans do not support this post 😂
EXACTLY

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT