ADVERTISEMENT

Kerkvliet?

While I am excited at seeing Kerk in the Bigs, you gotta feel for snacks. He was one of the top recruits out of High School. Consider the facts: a 169-1 overall record, four state titles in four years and pinning every opponent the last two years in his wins. Who can boast a more impressive resume? (Some language stolen from local Ca newpaper). Casar starts eating and knocks older brother Nick from his spot after coming off two AA seasons. Seth was set to be our Hwt but then Snyder goes to NLWC and brings Kerk with him. The Nevils family are loyal and classy. But you have to feel a little bad for the kid. Think he would AA this year and Kerk was set to redshirt but with free year Cael recognizes that Kerk is just better. Don’t want to see Snacks leave...but hard not to consider the transfer portal if you are him.

While I am excited at seeing Kerk in the Bigs, you gotta feel for snacks. He was one of the top recruits out of High School. Consider the facts: a 169-1 overall record, four state titles in four years and pinning every opponent the last two years in his wins. Who can boast a more impressive resume? (Some language stolen from local Ca newpaper). Casar starts eating and knocks older brother Nick from his spot after coming off two AA seasons. Seth was set to be our Hwt but then Snyder goes to NLWC and brings Kerk with him. The Nevils family are loyal and classy. But you have to feel a little bad for the kid. Think he would AA this year and Kerk was set to redshirt but with free year Cael recognizes that Kerk is just better. Don’t want to see Snacks leave...but hard not to consider the transfer portal if you are him.

Seth is way too good to ride the pine here. He would be in high high demand if he hit the transfer portal. He would effectively be an AA caliber wrestler with 3 more years to wrestle (he can also redshirt next year)

That's a lot of man meat. Not sure even Ford Focus can handle that.

Frank Molinaro was 141 before putting on the man meat....and if there ever was a short 149 pounder it was him. BB at 149 will be fine. This year is a dry run.

Frank Molinaro was 141 before putting on the man meat....and if there ever was a short 149 pounder it was him. BB at 149 will be fine. This year is a dry run.
Did the joke go past you, or are you taking the high road?

Here’s some optimism @El-Jefe

Our expected postseason roster has a combined 8 seasons of experience prior to this season: Nick Lee 3, RBY 2, AB 1, Berge 2.

If my count is right, Iowa has a combined 24 years of experience.

Lee 3
Desanto 3
Eirman 3
Murin 2
Young 3
Bull 3
Kemdog 3
Brands 1
Warnerov 2
Cass 1

Or put another way, PSU with 6 Freshmen starters, have a combined 32 years of eligibility remaining after this year. Iowa will have a combined 16 years of eligibility remaining.

The Hawks are undoubtedly the favorites this year. But they have to be looking over their shoulder and saying fellas we really need to get this one this year. There’s got be a thought in the back of their mind that if they don’t win this year, the PSU juggernaut will likely roll off 4 or more consecutive titles. And as overwhelming favorites this year, all the pressure is on them.
well next year Iowa will have the exact same team if they want (as will PSU and every other team)

Technically, our post-season starters coming into this season had a combined 42 years of eligibility remaining, or 4.2 years per starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339
Roberts Western World on Lower Broadway had a band that played an awesome rendition of Ghost Riders in the Sky, plus they have a special, $6 for a fried bologna sandwich, chips, and a can of PBR, how can you go wrong?

Brings tears to my eyes. My first beer was PBR -- when my dad let me sip his while watching Monday Night Football (circa 1973), and he is also who introduced me to fried bologna sandwiches. Almost worth a trip back to Nashville just for that meal!

Who knows what happens. We’ll see how it plays out. Caesar may have had similar complaints when Shak took his 197 spot in 2018, but then Caesar wins the title in 2019.

I certainly would not begrudge him if he left. I would love to see Kerk vs Seth in the finals once Steveson and Parris are gone.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
I hope that Seth stays. God forbid but this sport is brutal on the body especially at that weight. You never know when you will have an opportunity. It is a shame and no one wants a spot that way, but it is a reality. Selfishly I hope we have both men for 2021-2022.

I think we have two All Americans on the roster at Heavyweight. I think that Cael has had that situation before and looking at the current roster and future roster it will happen again, but more often.

Hey. Anyone have anything more tangible re: Kerk's injury, even reliable whispers?

For Cael to state that he was only cleared to wrestle the day of the Maryland match was pretty suprizing, at least in terms of coincidence.

Likewise he lost at least 10 lb during the off period. So at least we can assume he was out of commission even from a training POV for much of the break in action.

Is it totally out of the question that he's one of the guys that caught covid, and maybe his cardio or lung capacity took a while to come back?

I only question, as with all the discussion of surgery, he didn't wear a brace or have much taped up upon his return, he looked fresh, granted a little lean for that big frame.

Reactions: Shpsu
Hey. Anyone have anything more tangible re: Kerk's injury, even reliable whispers?

For Cael to state that he was only cleared to wrestle the day of the Maryland match was pretty suprizing, at least in terms of coincidence.

Likewise he lost at least 10 lb during the off period. So at least we can assume he was out of commission even from a training POV for much of the break in action.

Is it totally out of the question that he's one of the guys that caught covid, and maybe his cardio or lung capacity took a while to come back?

I only question, as with all the discussion of surgery, he didn't wear a brace or have much taped up upon his return, he looked fresh, granted a little lean for that big frame.
I'm saying appendix or gall bladder being removed. I have no intel whatsoever. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
giphy.gif

Not wearing a brace is not a tell with Kerkules, he has been wrestling with no ACL for 2 years, all without a brace.

Out of commission and LOST weight?? I’d like some intel on THAT? By the time this ragdolling season is over, Im gonna need a new shoulder, and the last time I was out of commission, I did not get SMALLER.

They were pretty clear it was a "procedure" that had a timetable for return around Big Tens originally. The fact he was suddenly cleared against Maryland (2 weeks earlier) and he's readded the 10 pounds makes me think Kerkvliet is just a superhuman.

I think actually think bordeaux's explanation makes a ton of sense. It's pointless to speculate. He's here and he's clearly recovering fast. No brace or wrap is a great sign. The only take I had against Maryland is he did exactly what he was supposed to do and pinned 2 lesser opponents with ease.

Reactions: WeARE
They were pretty clear it was a "procedure" that had a timetable for return around Big Tens originally. The fact he was suddenly cleared against Maryland (2 weeks earlier) and he's readded the 10 pounds makes me think Kerkvliet is just a superhuman.

I think actually think bordeaux's explanation makes a ton of sense. It's pointless to speculate. He's here and he's clearly recovering fast. No brace or wrap is a great sign. The only take I had against Maryland is he did exactly what he was supposed to do and pinned 2 lesser opponents with ease.
knee was mentioned in the weekly Coach interview..

2 scenarios going off your seeding prediction:
A: Kerk is fully healthy AND in wrestling shape
B: Kerk isn’t 100% AND/OR is NOT in shape

A: In this scenario I think he should wrestle Parris. A ff will be looked at the same as a loss. Even if he loses, it gives him a feel of Parris and can make adjustments if they go again.

B: This is the scenario when I would inj default, not mff. An inj default allows Kerk to wrestle back, hopefully taking third ( which I think he does ).

IMO you want Kerk to get as many matches as possible getting into a tournament rhythm.
IF 100% healthy---wrestle---best way to get into match shape is to wrestle matches..

Cael not putting him out there is he is not 100%

Why isn't Kerk's surgery sufficient explanation?

Speculating about guys getting the virus -- just one more reason to celebrate when the virus is over.
Right on! Let’s don’t over-speculate. Jefe, I wonder why you like celebrating so much. Could it be that you’re excessively fond of alcoholic beverages? :)

Last edited:
IF 100% healthy---wrestle---best way to get into match shape is to wrestle matches..

Cael not putting him out there is he is not 100%

Agree and disagree at the same time if that’s possible. IMO you don’t put your wrestlers onto the mat if they don’t have the best chance at winning. Kerk doesn’t have the best chance at beating Parris without being able to wrestle 7 hard minutes. Getting in wrestling shape is done in the practice room, or against guys that don’t necessarily take your absolute best to beat. Parris is a guy that won’t be beat by someone who makes mistakes because they’re tired. Maybe I didn’t explain that the best way, but I think you get my drift. The good news, we will have the answer in 3 days.

What if you wrestle various olympic and world gold medalists in the practice room? Does that help you get in shape? ;)
Of course it does, but to be honest, we have Seth and sometimes Nick that can push Kerk, everyone else you “mention” is much smaller. Although it looks like Jake may have added a few#. Anyway, I’d give the room competition (at least size wise) edge to Parris now and Steveson still has Nelson.

What if you wrestle various olympic and world gold medalists in the practice room? Does that help you get in shape? ;)

It probably doesn’t hurt... however, have they been able to go hard with each other with his injury. If he steps on the line across from Parris, the answer is yes. If it’s a default, he’s not ready for that level of competition. You may be wondering my prediction on the matter. I’m guessing a rematch with Steveson reversing the last outcome... We Are!

Of course it does, but to be honest, we have Seth and sometimes Nick that can push Kerk, everyone else you “mention” is much smaller. Although it looks like Jake may have added a few#. Anyway, I’d give the room competition (at least size wise) edge to Parris now and Steveson still has Nelson.
Coon did best Snyder. Once.

Reactions: Chris Watts

I would take Cael, Varner, Nickal, Taylor, and the Nevills over Nelson and Coon any day. Maybe they all don’t have the size, but overall I would say better competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT