ADVERTISEMENT

Kerkvliet?

Reflecting back, it is kind of amusing how short term our memories are. A month ago we all pretty much heard he was done for the season. Then he shows up unannounced against Maryland and we instantly assume he is a world beater. I’ll admit I got caught up in the hype - and I do think Kerk is much more than hype - but just the fact that he was able to take the mat this weekend is pretty incredible, let alone qualify for NCAAs. I am just GRATEFUL he can get out there and have F** in two weeks.

Would love to know what Gable was telling Parris. I didn’t know Parris was talking shit on the twitter lol so I enjoyed that whippin more than a should have. That like Schroeder tweeting Spencer for ducking him after Spencer didn’t wrestle against Purdue during there tri meet with Ohio state lol. Too funny.

Paid.
Got a email from Pres Novak shortly afterwards thanking me. I told him not to get the wrong idea. 🤑🤬
LOL!

Thank you my friend! You guys killed it in the finals and when all is said and done it was a damn close race! Let's do it again next year, where I'm thinking you'll have the advantage. :)

Hell, Im kickin myself in the ass for not keeping the Star/Kem bet! Congrats!
giphy.gif

Since this thread got bumped (Congratulations @Nashville_Hawkeye !!!), I'd like to say Kerkvliet just came off the couch basically within a month as a clear Top 6 heavy in the nation. Trent Hillger ended up on the right side of the bracket but we saw the result of that one already. I guess I'll be humble here and won't just pencil him in ahead of Gannon Gremmel. He bonused all 4 of his wins (including a very good wrestler in Jordan Wood) and surely enough (not that this is meant to be a moral victory), he's the only guy to take down Gable this year. Sky is the absolute limit for him.

Since this thread got bumped (Congratulations @Nashville_Hawkeye !!!), I'd like to say Kerkvliet just came off the couch basically within a month as a clear Top 6 heavy in the nation. Trent Hillger ended up on the right side of the bracket but we saw the result of that one already. I guess I'll be humble here and won't just pencil him in ahead of Gannon Gremmel. He bonused all 4 of his wins (including a very good wrestler in Jordan Wood) and surely enough (not that this is meant to be a moral victory), he's the only guy to take down Gable this year. Sky is the absolute limit for him.
Thank you, my friend! And I concur with your comments WRT Kerk. Barring injuries, etc., I think he will give Gable all he wants and then some. Back in the day, based on a video I saw, he was on the same level as Gable, and I think he'll be right back there after a year of battling the fellas in the room. Definitely think it will come down to him and GS in the finals, again barring some sort of setback. I'm hoping Cass adjusts his game a bit in an effort to get a little more speed. He can destroy most of the big men, but clearly can't compete with the speed GS and MP bring to the game. Already looking forward to next year. :)

Thank you, my friend! And I concur with your comments WRT Kerk. Barring injuries, etc., I think he will give Gable all he wants and then some. Back in the day, based on a video I saw, he was on the same level as Gable, and I think he'll be right back there after a year of battling the fellas in the room. Definitely think it will come down to him and GS in the finals, again barring some sort of setback. I'm hoping Cass adjusts his game a bit in an effort to get a little more speed. He can destroy most of the big men, but clearly can't compete with the speed GS and MP bring to the game. Already looking forward to next year. :)

Far too often, this board doesn't show Cass enough respect. He is truly an elite heavy. He's the kind of kid who can get you champion level points without making the finals even!

Maybe not a kid who won the "genetic lottery" but one who clearly has worked his ass off to maximize his skillset. I very much look forward to seeing him wrestle Kerk again, hope for different results though!

Once again - congratulations to the Hawkeyes!

Far too often, this board doesn't show Cass enough respect. He is truly an elite heavy. He's the kind of kid who can get you champion level points without making the finals even!

Maybe not a kid who won the "genetic lottery" but one who clearly has worked his ass off to maximize his skillset. I very much look forward to seeing him wrestle Kerk again, hope for different results though!

Cass certainly isn't built like Anthony Cassar, but he is very athletic for a big guy. Much more so than the "eye test" would lead people to believe. I for one enjoy watching him wrestle.

Cass certainly isn't built like Anthony Cassar, but he is very athletic for a big guy. Much more so than the "eye test" would lead people to believe. I for one enjoy watching him wrestle.
It also appears that Cass is in the process of reshaping is body. He has looked much different the last few times I have seen him.

Reactions: ClarencButthorn

I think he is one of those guys who 10 or 15 years ago would have been a mutliple time champion. He just has the misfortune of being in school when a new breed of wrestlers are on the scene who possess a level of quickness and strength which is hard to match for someone without the same level of athleticism.

I think he is one of those guys who 10 or 15 years ago would have been a mutliple time champion. He just has the misfortune of being in school when a new breed of wrestlers are on the scene who possess a level of quickness and strength which is hard to match for someone without the same level of athleticism.
True, though in fairness that "new breed" of HWT for him is limited to three freestyle world champs. (And he did beat Kerk.)

Cass is athletically there with anyone else in the weight, plus highly skilled.

Since he has 1 more year than Steveson and Parris, he likely will be a national finalist in his career.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
True, though in fairness that "new breed" of HWT for him is limited to three freestyle world champs. (And he did beat Kerk.)

Cass is athletically there with anyone else in the weight, plus highly skilled.

Since he has 1 more year than Steveson and Parris, he likely will be a national finalist in his career.

285 was obviously loaded this year. So, where do you all think Kyle Snyder as a senior would have would have finished this year? Could the current crop of heavies have negated his agility and explosiveness?

285 was obviously loaded this year. So, where do you all think Kyle Snyder as a senior would have would have finished this year? Could the current crop of heavies have negated his agility and explosiveness?
First. He was already an Olympic champ, and he said he weighed around 235 for nationals. Have to remember Gwiz was at about 255 when they met -- about the same size as Parris and not much smaller than Steveson.

Steveson would've made it difficult for him though.

First. He was already an Olympic champ, and he said he weighed around 235 for nationals. Have to remember Gwiz was at about 255 when they met -- about the same size as Parris and not much smaller than Steveson.

Steveson would've made it difficult for him though.
If I was betting 100 bucks on the outcome I think I would put it on Gable. I would bet 200 bucks that 99 percent of the match would be wrestled on their feet. :)

Snyder was a liability on the mat in my mind. I dont think he could have ridden or would have been ridden by gable.

Might have been covered already but do you think that Kerk goes the Cassar route and bulks up for next year? If so where do we see him placing?

If he gets up to a solid, fit 250-255 he’ll beat Cass and give Parris a match.

He looked discernibly smaller after his layoff compared to the NLWC matches.
He looked better just between B1Gs and NCAAs. He’s gonna be a tough out if he stays healthy.

I was trying to get a feel for how he’s integrated into the room personality. Anybody hear much about that?

Might have been covered already but do you think that Kerk goes the Cassar route and bulks up for next year? If so where do we see him placing?
This is the biggest thing that he needs to do this offseason. He wrestled Gable closer than anyone this year (on par with Parris, I guess), but the difference in the match was that Gable was bigger, stronger, heavier, and more muscular and Kerk couldn't overcome that. In terms of quickness, skill, and athleticism, he's already on that level, as evidenced by the fact that he was the only person to get a takedown on Gable all season.

With that said, Gable is a generational talent at the weight class. Even bulked up, I wouldn't put money on Kerk over Gable, but he could easily end up right there with Parris battling for second best.

Even bulked up, I wouldn't put money on Kerk over Gable, but he could easily end up right there with Parris battling for second best.
Until the evidence is in, the jury is out. But based on the brief glimpse we got to see of Kerk so far, I’m unwilling to commit to any limits on his potential to challenge for the throne. Can’t wait to see how it unfolds.

Well said WRT the "genetic lottery." LOL! But he sure gives it his all. Looking forward to next year! :)

Very impressed with Dr. Kerkvleit. Behind all of our great wrestlers I suspect we would find supportive mentors, coaches and family members. These kids get to where they are through hard work and dedication...but kudos to those who support them along the way. Dr. K, you have had an impressive career...but raising great children may be your greatest accomplishment. I enjoyed this interview:

cass beating Tony Nelson? Nelson was one takedown away from being a 3 time champ. You may be right but I don't think so. The fact that Cass never wrestles any senior events we may never know. I'll take the four time all american 3 time finalist and 2 time champ. I've seen some good matches with Gable and Tony, Gable seems to take Cass down at will. I'll end with I could be very wrong :)

cass beating Tony Nelson? Nelson was one takedown away from being a 3 time champ. You may be right but I don't think so. The fact that Cass never wrestles any senior events we may never know. I'll take the four time all american 3 time finalist and 2 time champ. I've seen some good matches with Gable and Tony, Gable seems to take Cass down at will. I'll end with I could be very wrong :)
That's one of the great unknowns -- how would Nelson's career have turned out if the refs hadn't allowed the Stall Ride of Doom throughout his career. He has said that knew he could win most matches 2-0 on E1 + RT, so his match strategy was to avoid risk on feet.

Maybe he would've been like when Heil could no longer spend a half hour scrambling on his back. Or maybe he would've adapted. We'll never know.

What we do know is that Cass is more active than Nelson's opponents before he met Gwiz.

I looked up Tony Nelson Career # wow he has a 131-16 record at MN. that's a lot of matches for a heavy or actually anyone! His bonus rate was over 60% but against the best a lot of 1 or 2 point victories. Still, 131 wins good lord! So my Guess is, Cass will lose fewer matches but may not win as many and will never be a 3 time finalist or could he?

CStar and Kerk were out at lunch in Fort Worth. Posted a couple of pictures to their IG stories.

CStar’s caption quoted Kerk, “I eat until I’m about to throw up every time.”

Seems he’s all aboard the Cassar Gain Train.

CStar and Kerk were out at lunch in Fort Worth. Posted a couple of pictures to their IG stories.

I freaking love this team. I cannot wait till next year when these guys come rolling in twice as good as last year having FUN and shit

I thought his progress from B1Gs to NCAAS was noticeable. Now with another couple weeks of regaining strength/weight/cardio and the switch from folk to freestyle... who knows. I am pumped to see this match with Parris. I would not at all be shocked...

We will be very scary next year, and Kerk is at the top of a long list as to why.

All four Champs will be more relaxed and confident and just let it fly. You watch, the bonus % will go up for all four.

Getting all 4 to repeat is extremely hard but I expect the beauty will be several more might make the finals.

The thought of Greg with 20 more lbs of muscle is tantelizing. In the short amount of time we got to see him, he showed unbelievable athleticism from someone so big and what a bonus machine to boot. Give him a full healthy season to train I can absolutely see him taking out Parus and Cassi. He is one heavyweight that will keep everyone in their seats at the end of every dual, a must watch.

SVN is one of those who can take on all comers as a freshman if he goes. Bartlett if he goes well be scarry good. Howard will be loads better with a full healthy season. Berge was giving us just a glimpse of his trajectory and he will be back. Beard is an intermittant gas tank from rolling against just about anyone. There's 30+ points in them thar words above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT