ADVERTISEMENT

Kerkvliet?

After some thought, I think things might play out this way for Kerk.

Greg gets the #7 seed
He goes through the #10 seed no problem to advance against #2 Paris
He then takes a MFF (Steps on the mat and forfeits) to Paris

It would have been much better to get the #6 and take out Cassi with his second match.

Now what is the opinion of the collective before we discuss whats next....?

Does this satisfy his 4 for Nationals (2 Maryland, 1 Bigs, and 1 MFF Bigs), and give him enough to get in via an at-large slot?

If yes, then I say he is then done for the tourney without wasting his time against Cassi, Paris or Gable. If not could he then go one more bout on the loser bracket side before he would need to face Cassi after Paris takes him out.

If however he really does need to finish in the top 7 to secure one of the Big 10 allocation slots then I think Paris will probably beat him in this early short prep match, and Greg takes out whomever then Cassi on the back side then another to secure the slot.

No matter the outcome at Bigs for any matches against the top 3, I don't know that we see his best in this tourney ether intentionally or prep-wise.

Noone seems to know definitively what was his injury. I suspect meniscus given the rumors of knee surgery, but he didn't have any limp or brace which is encouraging. I have even wondered Covid and maybe his lung capacity took a while to recover?

In any case I don't think Cael cares too much about a Big 10 trophy. He wants all 10 to make it to the big dance healthy.

2 scenarios going off your seeding prediction:
A: Kerk is fully healthy AND in wrestling shape
B: Kerk isn’t 100% AND/OR is NOT in shape

A: In this scenario I think he should wrestle Parris. A ff will be looked at the same as a loss. Even if he loses, it gives him a feel of Parris and can make adjustments if they go again.

B: This is the scenario when I would inj default, not mff. An inj default allows Kerk to wrestle back, hopefully taking third ( which I think he does ).

IMO you want Kerk to get as many matches as possible getting into a tournament rhythm.

Reactions: Maddog and jp99FFPA

A: In this scenario I think he should wrestle Parris. A ff will be looked at the same as a loss. Even if he loses, it gives him a feel of Parris and can make adjustments if they go again.

B: This is the scenario when I would inj default, not mff. An inj default allows Kerk to wrestle back, hopefully taking third ( which I think he does ).

IMO you want Kerk to get as many matches as possible getting into a tournament rhythm.
IMO, he should wrestle in either situation. He needs matches. This isn't a situation like Nolf where he had two full years of college experience and was the prohibitive favorite at the NCAA's and just needed to make sure he didn't reinjure himself at the B1Gs. Kerk has 2 total college matches against the worst starter in the conference and his backup. The one thing he desperately needs is experience against high level competition, which is exactly what Parris would be. If he's not healthy enough to wrestle in that match without a significant risk of injury, then Nevills should be in the tournament.

You said it better than I. Scenario B was my main concern. He went from we don't expect him back this year, to starting and pinning two guys, 2 weeks later That can't just be Cael playing games. Without injury details were are flying a little blind.

Likewise why would Cael have him wrestle the extra match unless in the back of his head he sees a scenario where Kerk doesn't wrestle 3 matches at Bigs. That second match didn't have much value from a training perspective. I think Cael may have him injury default Paris and do just enough to get 7th. Can you injury default and keep wrestling on the back side? The challenge is if he defaults from Paris on, he doesn't get 7th.

IMO, he should wrestle in either situation. He needs matches. This isn't a situation like Nolf where he had two full years of college experience and was the prohibitive favorite at the NCAA's and just needed to make sure he didn't reinjure himself at the B1Gs. Kerk has 2 total college matches against the worst starter in the conference and his backup. The one thing he desperately needs is experience against high level competition, which is exactly what Parris would be. If he's not healthy enough to wrestle in that match without a significant risk of injury, then Nevills should be in the tournament.

If they go the default route, I don’t think it’s the risk of injury concern, more the he needs more mat time to get his stamina up to go 7 minutes with Parris.

You said it better than I. Scenario B was my main concern. He went from we don't expect him back this year, to starting and pinning two guys, 2 weeks later That can't just be Cael playing games. Without injury details were are flying a little blind.

Likewise why would Cael have him wrestle the extra match unless in the back of his head he sees a scenario where Kerk doesn't wrestle 3 matches at Bigs. That second match didn't have much value from a training perspective. I think Cael may have him injury default Paris and do just enough to get 7th. Can you injury default and keep wrestling on the back side? The challenge is if he defaults from Paris on, he doesn't get 7th.

You can inj default and still wrestle on the backside. You can not medically ff, if you mff one time, you’re done for the tournament.

i think yes. didn't ed ruth default in a match with the guy with an alphabet name, the come back to take third in the nationals in philly?

Reactions: jtothemfp
NoVa actually wrote out his name. Easier to call him "mooch".
Don’t feel too bad for the Stanford guy. He went on to be a successful lawyer and banker.

170801_vod_note_16x9_992.jpg

Reactions: nitlion6
Sorry if it’s been discussed before and I missed it, but is it possible or likely that Kerk would be our guy at 285 in the big ten championship?

Sorry if it’s been discussed before and I missed it, but is it possible or likely that Kerk would be our guy at 285 in the big ten championship?
Absolutely possible and likely...he wrestled in the final dual and got in a second match as well. He will have had almost two additional weeks leading into B10's. I don't think he goes out to wrestle in that final dual and picks up a second match if he wasn't going to be "the guy." Now, how they navigate the B10 tournament remains to be seen. This all assumes there weren't any setbacks from whatever was keeping him out the first part of the year.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Absolutely possible and likely...he wrestled in the final dual and got in a second match as well. He will have had almost two additional weeks leading into B10's. I don't think he goes out to wrestle in that final dual and picks up a second match if he wasn't going to be "the guy." Now, how they navigate the B10 tournament remains to be seen. This all assumes there weren't any setbacks from whatever was keeping him out the first part of the year.
So if Kerk wrestles at the B1G championship instead of Snacks, how does that impact us for the NCAAs? Assuming that Kerk gets the minimum matches could either Kerk or Snacks wrestle for Penn State in the NCAAs?

So if Kerk wrestles at the B1G championship instead of Snacks, how does that impact us for the NCAAs? Assuming that Kerk gets the minimum matches could either Kerk or Snacks wrestle for Penn State in the NCAAs?

No, anyone that wrestles at BIGs can qualify for NCAAs, but no one else on the same team at the same weight can qualify for NCAAs.

No, anyone that wrestles at BIGs can qualify for NCAAs, but no one else on the same team at the same weight can qualify for NCAAs.
Yes, that’s why I said “either”. Let’s say Kerk wrestles and doesn’t get an automatic bid. Could the at large bid go to Snacks instead of Kerk, if Snacks is ranked higher?

Yes, that’s why I said “either”. Let’s say Kerk wrestles and doesn’t get an automatic bid. Could the at large bid go to Snacks instead of Kerk, if Snacks is ranked higher?
No. Once Kerk steps on the mat at B10s, Snacks' 2021 season is over.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I totally understand the rationale and wonder behind these questions, but I swear to any higher being you worship that if one of these "what if" scenarios that ya'll are proposing comes true, you will be blue-balled from this board.

I totally understand the rationale and wonder behind these questions, but I swear to any higher being you worship that if one of these "what if" scenarios that ya'll are proposing comes true, you will be blue-balled from this board.
Blue balled or black balled? 😆

Reactions: danoftw
Leave the pessimism to our opponents.
Here’s some optimism @El-Jefe

Our expected postseason roster has a combined 8 seasons of experience prior to this season: Nick Lee 3, RBY 2, AB 1, Berge 2.

If my count is right, Iowa has a combined 24 years of experience.

Lee 3
Desanto 3
Eirman 3
Murin 2
Young 3
Bull 3
Kemdog 3
Brands 1
Warnerov 2
Cass 1

Or put another way, PSU with 6 Freshmen starters, have a combined 32 years of eligibility remaining after this year. Iowa will have a combined 16 years of eligibility remaining.

The Hawks are undoubtedly the favorites this year. But they have to be looking over their shoulder and saying fellas we really need to get this one this year. There’s got be a thought in the back of their mind that if they don’t win this year, the PSU juggernaut will likely roll off 4 or more consecutive titles. And as overwhelming favorites this year, all the pressure is on them.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn

Our expected postseason roster has a combined 8 seasons of experience prior to this season: Nick Lee 3, RBY 2, AB 1, Berge 2.

Lee 3
Desanto 3
Eirman 3
Murin 2
Young 3
Bull 3
Kemdog 3
Brands 1
Warnerov 2
Cass 1

Or put another way, PSU with 6 Freshmen starters, have a combined 32 years of eligibility remaining after this year. Iowa will have a combined 16 years of eligibility remaining.

The Hawks are undoubtedly the favorites this year. But they have to be looking over their shoulder and saying fellas we really need to get this one this year. There’s got be a thought in the back of their mind that if they don’t win this year, the PSU juggernaut will likely roll off 4 or more consecutive titles. And as overwhelming favorites this year, all the pressure is on them.
well next year Iowa will have the exact same team if they want (as will PSU and every other team)

As Dunkej01 most eloquently stated elsewhere "I have no answers but lots of questions"
Sounds like the greatest line ever uttered in pro wrestling.
Rodney Piper said it to Jimmy Snuka in "Piper's Pit" probably around 1980.
The line was;
"Just when you think you know the answer, I change the Question."
I still laugh at the line 40 years later.

Lee 3
Desanto 3
Eirman 3
Murin 2
Young 3
Bull 3
Kemdog 3
Brands 1
Warnerov 2
Cass 1

Here I was thinking Eierman had at least 24 years of experience by himself!🤣

well next year Iowa will have the exact same team if they want (as will PSU and every other team)

I’d bet you a few shekels that our 149 guy next year won’t be the current 149. Unless BB grows a few inches AND puts on 10lbs+ of man meat in the next calendar year, he’s going to have a hard time staying healthy and competitive against true 149lb guys in a full 20+ match season. He’s a great wrestler, but he’s a natural 141. SVN has a better frame for 149. That’s not knocking BB; I think he’ll be a national champion at a more natural weight (141).

And, I’d expect just about every weight to improve relative to their Iowa counterpart. Iowa better win this year because their odds look pretty bad for a long time with the roster PSU has going forwards.

I’d bet you a few shekels that our 149 guy next year won’t be the current 149. Unless BB grows a few inches AND puts on 10lbs+ of man meat in the next calendar year, he’s going to have a hard time staying healthy and competitive against true 149lb guys in a full 20+ match season.
That's a lot of man meat. Not sure even Ford Focus can handle that.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT