ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Maryland Dual Discussion/PBP

I almost felt sorry for Martin as he sat there in complete disbelief.

His shot would have put any other guy in a six point hole.
The best thing about this (and Bo said this himself) was that he whiffed on the original elevator attempt and Martin must have let up for just a SPLIT second and thats when Bo hit the second (successful) one.

The dude who breaks down matches/moves shows it in super slo-mo. Great piece if you haven't seen it.

Please explain, I see it alot, I think I know what it is about but, I probably do not hence me not getting it.
The original joke was a Spyker-ism.

Suriano was a true freshman during Nico's shirt year. (Nico was already a 2x national finalist.) In that pre-season, Spyker claimed Suriano was beating Nico in the room.

Since then, the joke has been distorted beyond absurdity.

Rewatched brooks match at with just over 1 minute left in 3rd you can hear him talking after he was slapped a few times.
says ”what’s the score” several times then also says “shoot, shoot”
If I was Brooks, and was getting slapped the way that kid was slapping him, I’d do a Hell of a lot more than talk a bit. He showed tremendous restraint IMO.

In all honesty, I don't think Cael, Casey or Clemson give a rats ass what we think. That's all.

It may have been immature, but I got the tone of the tweet as one of joking around. I think people are overreacting.
That's how you want to believe it. How do you tell the tone of a tweet/text? Seems like gray area

Just a long running joke about any of our lightweights being at the level to beat Nico behind closed doors.
Not a joke. Spyker was the one who reported it, and we all know that Spyker had the best inside information of anyone who ever posted here!

There should be a rule that if you're trying to lose -- you get DQ'd. Almost the same effect. Maybe C*Star was working on pinning combinations?

Most elite wrestlers will test the waters on getting a turn and pin early (maybe after a TD or two) - but if not able to get a solid turn because opponent has completely trumped-up (i.e., bottom stalling), they will usually go "catch-&-release" to build the score so when they try for the pin later.... potentially don't get it and are burning quite a bit of clock, they can still get the TF with a TD or two. Not sure what Clemsen's problem was, but you see top wrestler's do what Carter did all the time (i.e., attempting to pin rather than settle for TF).

Reactions: NoVaLion2
Didn’t this really start earlier in the match around 141 or so?

psumacw

Well-Known Member​

Anybody catch the start of the back and forth between clemsen and Casey after the bow and arrow? All I heard was clemsen go "it doesn't matter" and Casey reply "it does"

i believe that was during levi's match. i imagine clemsen probably was yelling at the ref about potentially dangerous and casey yelling back that it's not illegal if done in a certain way (i'm not sure the exact rules on the b+a but it could be like an arm bar where it's fine as long as you don't move the wrist too far from the back).

there was another back and forth during AB's match too. i think casey yelled something first, either about the punch or jaxon stalling, and clemsen yelled over "just let [him or them, i'm not sure] wrestle" and casey sort of sighed and shook his head.

all i know is sitting between the coaches corners is awesome. does anybody know if it's possible to upload directly here, or if i need to upload to imgur and then link to that?

Reactions: mcpat
I was at the dual at Maryland on Sunday. I have no connection to the Maryland program and I am a big fan of Penn State sports. Here is what happened between Casey and Alex. The two of them started barking at each other after Casey complained about the lack of stalling calls. Alex told Casey to "stop coaching the refs". Casey replied with, "How about coaching your kids". It got a little personal but it was not a big deal and I suspect both of them calmed down within an hour or so.
On the topic of the 194 bout, I personally thought Smith was totally out of line. They were hand fighting right in front of us and I saw him push Aaron in the face multiple times and slap him several times too. One was particularly blatant. Aaron handled it well and went for the late takedown to get the MD likely specifically in response to the antics by Smith.

It may have been immature, but I got the tone of the tweet as one of joking around. I think people are overreacting.

Agreed. More fake outrage from pot stirrers.

Who Cares GIF by Judge Judy

i believe that was during levi's match. i imagine clemsen probably was yelling at the ref about potentially dangerous and casey yelling back that it's not illegal if done in a certain way (i'm not sure the exact rules on the b+a but it could be like an arm bar where it's fine as long as you don't move the wrist too far from the back).

there was another back and forth during AB's match too. i think casey yelled something first, either about the punch or jaxon stalling, and clemsen yelled over "just let [him or them, i'm not sure] wrestle" and casey sort of sighed and shook his head.

all i know is sitting between the coaches corners is awesome. does anybody know if it's possible to upload directly here, or if i need to upload to imgur and then link to that?

On B&A foot must stay in-line with leg - if foot is pulled out of line with leg, Potentially Dangerous can be called. In addition, you are supposed to pull on top of foot/ankle - if you pull on toe of foot, Potentially Dangerous can be called.

Reactions: psumacw
Not a joke. Spyker was the one who reported it, and we all know that Spyker had the best inside information of anyone who ever posted here!
IIRC, he used to stand by the door of the room. Am I imagining that bit of folklore or does anyone else remember him posting that as well?

IIRC, he used to stand by the door of the room. Am I imagining that bit of folklore or does anyone else remember him posting that as well?
He stood outside the Rec Hall weight room and reported what he overheard.

That is, until he said he was using a guest pass and someone pointed out that those had to be purchased elsewhere on campus.

Spyker claimed a lot of things. Probably the best was claiming on the same day to be at both the PSU-OKST dual in Stilly and a PSU hockey home game.

That is, until he said he was using a guest pass and someone pointed out that those had to be purchased elsewhere on campus.

Spyker claimed a lot of things. Probably the best was claiming on the same day to be at both the PSU-OKST dual in Stilly and a PSU hockey home game.
He was one bizarre character.

He was supposed to be in all white for the OKST dual. He even called out what row he would be in I think.

I remember the 800 number for 2 free shirts or something goofy like that.

FULL COURT PRESS!!!!!!

Didn't he also say he was missing a few fingers so he had a hard time typing? I always pictured him typing with his nose like a chicken.

ummm... BB's scramble should not have been stopped due to minor progress and no one 'giving up'. I also think the danger count should have been started - at least a 'one'
Star was right behind Casey so if the coach was talking about him, probably only natural a kid would say something..even if it is on social media. Brooks match - wrestling on the edge needs to be called. If that wrestler was winning it would have been called multiple times.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso

He was supposed to be in all white for the OKST dual. He even called out what row he would be in I think.

FULL COURT PRESS!!!!!!

Didn't he also say he was missing a few fingers so he had a hard time typing? I always pictured him typing with his nose like a chicken.
He was a police office who was missing a few fingers and had his secretary type his posts to this message board.

FULL COURT PRESS!!!!!!

He said for people to neet him at OKST, then listed 2 different rows he would be in. While he was also in Pegula.

The 800 number was hilarious. There was an online fundraiser with one signed singlet available according to the donor. Spyker said you could get two if you called the toll-free number.

Those were the nice Spykerisms. He also demanded that Quentin Wright dump his girlfriend (now Mrs. Wright).

He said for people to neet him at OKST, then listed 2 different rows he would be in. While he was also in Pegula.

The 800 number was hilarious. There was an online fundraiser with one signed singlet available according to the donor. Spyker said you could get two if you called the toll-free number.

Those were the nice Spykerisms. He also demanded that Quentin Wright dump his girlfriend (now Mrs. Wright).
I don't know about you guys, but I wish Spyker had not stopped posting here. I always found him to be entertaining.

That has to be one of the longest-running storylines on this Forum : )

El-Jefe
Good thing Spyker ordered 15 national champs. I still say he should have ordered 30. :) Just to be safe.
Only 1 was available on Craigslist but he called the 800 number.

Reactions: Sullivan
The original joke was a Spyker-ism.

Suriano was a true freshman during Nico's shirt year. (Nico was already a 2x national finalist.) In that pre-season, Spyker claimed Suriano was beating Nico in the room.

Since then, the joke has been distorted beyond absurdity.
Now I’m even more confused. Nico took a shirt in the punt year (14-15). His natl championship came in March of 2016 at which point his eligibility ran out. Suriano joined the squad in the fall of 2016.

I was at the dual at Maryland on Sunday. I have no connection to the Maryland program and I am a big fan of Penn State sports. Here is what happened between Casey and Alex. The two of them started barking at each other after Casey complained about the lack of stalling calls. Alex told Casey to "stop coaching the refs". Casey replied with, "How about coaching your kids". It got a little personal but it was not a big deal and I suspect both of them calmed down within an hour or so.
On the topic of the 194 bout, I personally thought Smith was totally out of line. They were hand fighting right in front of us and I saw him push Aaron in the face multiple times and slap him several times too. One was particularly blatant. Aaron handled it well and went for the late takedown to get the MD likely specifically in response to the antics by Smith.
Thanks for this. I’m sure I’m far from the only one that was wondering what the story was.

Now I’m even more confused. Nico took a shirt in the punt year (14-15). His natl championship came in March of 2016 at which point his eligibility ran out. Suriano joined the squad in the fall of 2016.
Nico was still working out with the squad in the room as part of the NLWC.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
I joined this site in 2016. It's basically the only social media I do . No Twitter, or Facebook. Once in a great while I'll post on the Athletic and a couple of times on H.R.
I forgot about Spyker until this thread.
The unique thing about this site is you try to imagine the person behind the names. I always had Roar as an upper management type. Spyker, a one time door to door vacuum salesman. Italianlion,a numbers guy and El-Jefe, a research analyst.😏

Last edited:

550a86b0-f24f-4f60-b5f4-b315b019cee9_text.gif

You're right, I posted offhand without looking up the timing. Extra strength idiot pills kicked it.

But other than the exact timing of Nico's career (and that he was a national champ), that's how it went down.

Reactions: mcpat
Starocci was making the kid look bad. Yes, you could say the Maryland kid was making himself look bad. But if you are the Maryland coach, you can’t say “my guy should be embarrassed.” So the coach chose to do something for his team and say something to the opposing coach.

I view it like a baseball manager getting tossed for his pitcher, even if he knows the pitch wasn’t a strike. Sometimes you just raise a little hell for your players.
To extend the analogy, now imagine the pitcher gave up and was lobbing the ball underhand because he knew he couldn’t get anyone out. The manager should direct his anger where it belongs. Toward the quitter.

Reactions: Jayhouse
You're right, I posted offhand without looking up the timing. Extra strength idiot pills kicked it.

But other than the exact timing of Nico's career (and that he was a national champ), that's how it went down.
By the time that Suriano arrived the summer of 2016, Nico was still a regular in our room and hadn’t moved back to Pittsburgh yet. Hence all the “room battles”

I see there is a Spyker Jr on HR. He doesn't post much but I see the relation.

To extend the analogy, now imagine the pitcher gave up and was lobbing the ball underhand because he knew he couldn’t get anyone out. The manager should direct his anger where it belongs. Toward the quitter.
I think coaches in college should understand that what happened is always on the table. Coach Clemesn probably gives everybody on the team a participation trophy.🏆

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I think coaches in college should understand that what happened is always on the table. Coach Clemesn probably gives everybody on the team a participation trophy.🏆
I have quite a few friends/biz assoc who went to MD. I rooted for some of their teams until their FB players scuffed up our field before a game. Now their ever sensitive wrestling coach has provided another reason to exercise my Philly born hate for opponents. I always remember a Citizens Bank blue game button from 08’ or so. It read: “MD. You’ll need one!” I love that damn button.

I have zero problem with what Carter did on the mat. I think it was weak of Clemsen to whine about it. I think it was immature of Carter to tweet about it.
Seems to me that the advice he is getting from his marketing coaches is to say stuff that makes people talk about him without crossing over the line into full Dbag. Flo talked about this post as did we. He is being as successful in getting attention as he is in everything else he cares about. I simply did not believe he could beat Kemdog as a freshman with only a covid dual season under his belt. Would have bet the house he couldn't. Kemerer is probably the second wrestler Iowa has had since Clark. It was an outstanding achievement. Since then he has grown and won. These posts are calculated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT