ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Maryland Dual Discussion/PBP

I joined this site in 2016. It's basically the only social media I do . No Twitter, or Facebook. Once in a great while I'll post on the Athletic and a couple of times on H.R.
I forgot about Spyker until this thread.
The unique thing about this site is you try to imagine the person behind the names. I always had Roar as an upper management type. Spyker, a one time door to door vacuum salesman. Italianlion,a numbers guy and El-Jefe, a research analyst.😏
Wow Call:eek:! I feel like a discovered “Masked Singer”… and here I thought that my anonymous & mysterious on-line persona effectively kept me in cognito, Jack Ryan-like…. But here you are, in one post, stripping me bare to my 30-year career as an international banker in accounting & finance! That’s about as ”numbers guy” as one can get! :D You’ve got a good read, remind me not to play poker with you.

To extend the analogy, now imagine the pitcher gave up and was lobbing the ball underhand because he knew he couldn’t get anyone out. The manager should direct his anger where it belongs. Toward the quitter
I’m not saying the Maryland coach was right, but we are criticizing wrestlers for quitting. The coach could have hung his head like a little baby when he shook hands, but he chose to fire back for his team. What a coach does and says in public can be vastly different than what he does behind closed doors. I bet his kids were thrilled when they saw their coach stand up to the biggest, baddest team around. Heck, he will get more exposure for that 10 second video than he’s gotten from years of coaching.

I personally would have hung my head and whispered “coach, could I get your autograph?”

Reactions: Callthestall
I’m not saying the Maryland coach was right, but we are criticizing wrestlers for quitting. The coach could have hung his head like a little baby when he shook hands, but he chose to fire back for his team. What a coach does and says in public can be vastly different than what he does behind closed doors. I bet his kids were thrilled when they saw their coach stand up to the biggest, baddest team around. Heck, he will get more exposure for that 10 second video than he’s gotten from years of coaching.

I personally would have hung my head and whispered “coach, could I get your autograph?”
I just sensed there was some animosity between him and Cunningham throughout the match. I disagree with what he was complaining about on hand shake line but I do believe that his team would support his actions.

I don't know. You would fully expect PSU fans to criticize Clemsen and suggest that he's a baby. You would fully expect Maryland fans and wrestlers to defend their coach (although I'm not sure I've really seen that). But, if you look at any wrestling page on any social media (I obviously only look at a few), it certainly appears that wrestling fans with no allegiance to PSU or to Maryland are universally calling out Clemsen's unrealistic expectations and his behavior. I think it's a very bad look in the long run, but probably doesn't matter anyway. I guess the question you'd have to answer is, "why would any good high school wrestler be encouraged to wrestle for Maryland if he wasn't a legacy recruit or didn't live 5 miles away?".

"I bet his kids were thrilled when they saw their coach stand up to the biggest, baddest team around"??

At least someone on that team put up a fight.

Considering the history of PSU vs MD athletic competitions, I wouldn't expect to see the captains from MD offering handshakes prior to the next dual meet.

Reactions: creamery freak
I don't know. You would fully expect PSU fans to criticize Clemsen and suggest that he's a baby. You would fully expect Maryland fans and wrestlers to defend their coach (although I'm not sure I've really seen that). But, if you look at any wrestling page on any social media (I obviously only look at a few), it certainly appears that wrestling fans with no allegiance to PSU or to Maryland are universally calling out Clemsen's unrealistic expectations and his behavior. I think it's a very bad look in the long run, but probably doesn't matter anyway. I guess the question you'd have to answer is, "why would any good high school wrestler be encouraged to wrestle for Maryland if he wasn't a legacy recruit or didn't live 5 miles away?".

His comments are asinine - it's analogous to be pissed at a boxer that just KO'ed your gut and telling his manager, "your guy doesn't have to go for the knockout".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT