ADVERTISEMENT

Kerkvliet?

After some thought, I think things might play out this way for Kerk.

Greg gets the #7 seed
He goes through the #10 seed no problem to advance against #2 Paris
He then takes a MFF (Steps on the mat and forfeits) to Paris

It would have been much better to get the #6 and take out Cassi with his second match.

Now what is the opinion of the collective before we discuss whats next....?

Does this satisfy his 4 for Nationals (2 Maryland, 1 Bigs, and 1 MFF Bigs), and give him enough to get in via an at-large slot?

If yes, then I say he is then done for the tourney without wasting his time against Cassi, Paris or Gable. If not could he then go one more bout on the loser bracket side before he would need to face Cassi after Paris takes him out.

If however he really does need to finish in the top 7 to secure one of the Big 10 allocation slots then I think Paris will probably beat him in this early short prep match, and Greg takes out whomever then Cassi on the back side then another to secure the slot.

No matter the outcome at Bigs for any matches against the top 3, I don't know that we see his best in this tourney ether intentionally or prep-wise.

Noone seems to know definitively what was his injury. I suspect meniscus given the rumors of knee surgery, but he didn't have any limp or brace which is encouraging. I have even wondered Covid and maybe his lung capacity took a while to recover?

In any case I don't think Cael cares too much about a Big 10 trophy. He wants all 10 to make it to the big dance healthy.

Goggles, in this weird year, I think you have to wrestle enough to guarantee each wrestler gets an automatic qualifier by placing high enough. You cannot take a chance getting an at large slot to get to nationals.

Greg gets the #7 seed

It would have been much better to get the #6 and take out Cassi with his second match.

Does this satisfy his 4 for Nationals (2 Maryland, 1 Bigs, and 1 MFF Bigs), and give him enough to get in via an at-large slot?

If yes, then I say he is then done for the tourney without wasting his time against Cassi, Paris or Gable. If not could he then go one more bout on the loser bracket side before he would need to face Cassi after Paris takes him out.

If however he really does need to finish in the top 7 to secure one of the Big 10 allocation slots then I think Paris will probably beat him in this early short prep match, and Greg takes out whomever then Cassi on the back side then another to secure the slot.

No matter the outcome at Bigs for any matches against the top 3, I don't know that we see his best in this tourney ether intentionally or prep-wise.

Noone seems to know definitively what was his injury. I suspect meniscus given the rumors of knee surgery, but he didn't have any limp or brace which is encouraging. I have even wondered Covid and maybe his lung capacity took a while to recover?

In any case I don't think Cael cares too much about a Big 10 trophy. He wants all 10 to make it to the big dance healthy.
That would qualify him for an at-large. Think Cael wants to put Kerk's postseason fate in the hands of an NCAA committee?

To secure the auto-qualifier spot, he'd need to win a consi match. Which means this proposed path would be virtually identical to Tan Tom forcing Jake Ryan to forfeit to get a better matchup in consis.

Not how we would've handled it.

Yes, I do. I consider Steveson a prohibitive favorite right now. Parris is good enough that he could win in an upset, so Steveson's not a mortal lock like Spencer where a loss would be an all-time shocker, but a clear favorite and a level above everyone else, yes.

I'm with you on this one. I think it's Steveson, then Parris and Kerk (could go either way), and then Cass (I think Parris' and Kerk's speed and reach will be a bit too much, but hoping I'm wrong), and then every one else.

Didn't both Nolf and Kemmerer MFF in Big Tens one year instead of wrestling each other?

Reactions: Dogwelder
They both took MFF at B10s in 2018. Nolf against Tyler Berger; Kem against Crone.
Close -- the brackets say Kemerer took an injury default loss to Crone, and Nolf MFF to Berger. (I have no idea why Kemerer's match would be decided that way, just that's what the brackets say.)

Then they took a double forfeit against each other in what would've been the 5th/6th place match (it's Match 243 in the bracket).

IIRC both teams got points for a 6th place finish, since the double forfeit meant neither of them won 5th.

Close -- the brackets say Kemerer took an injury default loss to Crone, and Nolf MFF to Berger. (I have no idea why Kemerer's match would be decided that way, just that's what the brackets say.)

Then they took a double forfeit against each other in what would've been the 5th/6th place match (it's Match 243 in the bracket).

IIRC both teams got points for a 6th place finish, since the double forfeit meant neither of them won 5th.

FloArena shows it as Kemerer MFF’ing to Crone (after getting pinned by Jordan in semis), and Nolf also MFF’ing to Pantaleo in semis.

Has anyone ever MFF’d in the winner’s bracket then wrestled on the backside? I feel like every time I see someone MFF they MFF completely out of the tournament.

FloArena shows it as Kemerer MFF’ing to Crone (after getting pinned by Jordan in semis), and Nolf also MFF’ing to Pantaleo in semis.

Has anyone ever MFF’d in the winner’s bracket then wrestled on the backside? I feel like every time I see someone MFF they MFF completely out of the tournament.
Yes, TanTom's son.

Once you MFF your done you can't MFF and go to the backside and compete. Although at a open last year somewhere I saw a bracket where it did happen. But those matches didn't end up counting it was a error

Reactions: 1032004

I have a downloaded copy of the official BIg Ten brackets. I'll take that over Flo.

I'm unaware of your scenario with MFFs -- but the Tan Tom joke is based on the 2017 Big Ten Tournament. His son Jake was the 11 seed at 157, took an opening round 0:02 injury default loss to Michigan's 6 seed Brian Murphy, then in consis (< 2 hrs later) beat NW's 14 seed Ben Sullivan who was 4-19 on the year.

"When two wrestlers are paired together in a placing round and both wrestlers forfeit or medical forfeit the match, each wrestler will share the lowest place and split the total available team points in that round."

Since Nolf and Kemerer had already earned the points for 6th place, in the scenario described above, they would split the 1 placement point available for finishing 5th. Both wrestlers should have received .5 points.

Once you MFF your done you can't MFF and go to the backside and compete. Although at a open last year somewhere I saw a bracket where it did happen. But those matches didn't end up counting it was a error

Thought that was the case but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Reactions: west2east
I have a downloaded copy of the official BIg Ten brackets. I'll take that over Flo.

I'm unaware of your scenario with MFFs -- but the Tan Tom joke is based on the 2017 Big Ten Tournament. His son Jake was the 11 seed at 157, took an opening round 0:02 injury default loss to Michigan's 6 seed Brian Murphy, then in consis (< 2 hrs later) beat NW's 14 seed Ben Sullivan who was 4-19 on the year.

It says "Inj. 0:00" which I'm pretty sure is impossible as whenever that happens it's usually 0:01 or 0:02.

Wrestlestat and the Iowa media guide have him as 27-3 that year with the only losses to Nolf, Berger and Jordan.

Also if it was an Injury default and MFF's mean you can't compete any more than he should have been able to accept 5th place against Nolf.

Pretty sure it was a MFF to Crone and the bracket had a typo...

I was looking for the rule on this and couldn't find it. Thought that maybe an injury such as a stinger or even suspected concussion could result in a match forfeit but a return to the tourney later - nothing.

What Is did find was the rule they don't call every frigging match. Fleeing the mat especial when or guy has a single leg elevated. We saw this 3-4 times last match alone.

"5.9.2.2 -Going out of the wrestling area or forcing an opponent out of the wrestling area is a technical violation and follows disqualification sequence of penalties. However, no penalty points are awarded for intentionally going out of the wrestling area to prevent a pin where near-fall points are earned.
Near edge of wrestling area, a wrestler shall not leave the wrestling area unless it is to sprawl from an opponent’s takedown attempt or when interlocked in wrestling including in near fall
situations.
5.9.2.3 Kicking out from a lower leg hold when this action results in the defending wrestler going out of the wrestling area is stalling"

I was looking for the rule on this and couldn't find it. Thought that maybe an injury such as a stinger or even suspected concussion could result in a match forfeit but a return to the tourney later - nothing.
Losses Due to Illness or Injury. In a tournament, matches started and then lost due to injury default by illness or injury do not eliminate a competitor from further competition, except when a medical forfeit has been granted.

Losses Due to Illness or Injury. In a tournament, matches started and then lost due to injury default by illness or injury do not eliminate a competitor from further competition, except when a medical forfeit has been granted.
Correct MFF and your done

I found a clip from when he heard the news...
giphy.gif
That is some funny sh*t!! :)

Greg gets the #7 seed

If you don't believe Kerkvliet can win 2 matches at Big 10's.........I think you either need to up or eliminate your dosage. In either case......send me some :).

Last edited:
Where do we think Kerkvliet will/can be seeded for B1Gs?

If he's 4, 5, or 6, he'll have a relatively easy route to the semis. If he's 7 or lower, he'll see Mason or Gable in the quarters.

Based on reality, he's no lower than 4th, and really, 3rd.

But, if they go by actual records, and some petty coaches get their way, he could be way, way down.
This was discussed in a different thread about B1G seeding. But I can't see Kerk any higher than 6, and it's very possible he could be 7. The #6 seed is probably between Kerk and Hilger (Wisconsin).

What Is did find was the rule they don't call every frigging match. Fleeing the mat especial when or guy has a single leg elevated. We saw this 3-4 times last match alone.

"5.9.2.2 -Going out of the wrestling area or forcing an opponent out of the wrestling area is a technical violation and follows disqualification sequence of penalties. However, no penalty points are awarded for intentionally going out of the wrestling area to prevent a pin where near-fall points are earned.
Near edge of wrestling area, a wrestler shall not leave the wrestling area unless it is to sprawl from an opponent’s takedown attempt or when interlocked in wrestling including in near fall
situations.
5.9.2.3 Kicking out from a lower leg hold when this action results in the defending wrestler going out of the wrestling area is stalling"

You need to update your rule book as you are quoting rules from at least 4 years ago. Here is a link to the current rules.

Reactions: ClarencButthorn
His weight is mentioned above. I do not know his height but I do know in some areas of iowa, oh hell Iowa City, he will be soon known as the Giant Killer or Finalist.

Looks leaner than Cassar so he must be taller. 6'2-6'3 range I would guess.

Seems odd to me he was down about 10 pounds from what he was wrestling at last year. Either he's been working out hard and burned it off or he was sick ( Covid ?) and lost some weight.

Seems odd to me he was down about 10 pounds from what he was wrestling at last year. Either he's been working out hard and burned it off or he was sick ( Covid ?) and lost some weight.
Perhaps losing the weight helped in the injury recovery process, less weight on the knee ?

Reactions: The_Intimidator69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT