ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Maryland Dual Discussion/PBP

What Carter did was bad form, and I would prefer if he showed more restraint posting. In no way do his posts affect his Hodge standing. My point was Carter is showing the world his abilities on the mat, and going for a pin against a kid way out of his depth is perfectly fine. To win the Hodge you 'should' take no prisoners. Him posting on social media about some other coach is unwise.

Bad form, maybe. But Cael can call him in and remind him it's the coach's job to defend him, not the other way around. In the grand scheme of things, I wish that was the extent of the stupid stuff I did in my early 20's.

How is he standing up for his guys when he's apparently asking the opposition to go easy?
Starocci was making the kid look bad. Yes, you could say the Maryland kid was making himself look bad. But if you are the Maryland coach, you can’t say “my guy should be embarrassed.” So the coach chose to do something for his team and say something to the opposing coach.

I view it like a baseball manager getting tossed for his pitcher, even if he knows the pitch wasn’t a strike. Sometimes you just raise a little hell for your players.

What Carter did was bad form, and I would prefer if he showed more restraint posting. In no way do his posts affect his Hodge standing. My point was Carter is showing the world his abilities on the mat, and going for a pin against a kid way out of his depth is perfectly fine. To win the Hodge you 'should' take no prisoners. Him posting on social media about some other coach is unwise.

I agree. I didn't even mind the part about what he believes his coach would do to him as much, but, his adding that he would have had to have thrown a punch was unnecessary.

He should have instructed the kid to take neutral to start the third.
THIS^^.

It was the second period, but yes, that was the ticket.

Starroci obviously could have teched the Terp in the first period, but likely decided, "Hell, if you're not gonna even try, I might as will pin your ass."

Reactions: goldenanimal
THIS^^.

It was the second period, but yes, that was the ticket.

Starroci obviously could have teched the Terp in the first period, but likely decided, "Hell, if you're not gonna even try, I might as will pin your ass."

I have zero problem with what Carter did on the mat. I think it was weak of Clemsen to whine about it. I think it was immature of Carter to tweet about it.

Starocci was making the kid look bad. Yes, you could say the Maryland kid was making himself look bad. But if you are the Maryland coach, you can’t say “my guy should be embarrassed.” So the coach chose to do something for his team and say something to the opposing coach.

I view it like a baseball manager getting tossed for his pitcher, even if he knows the pitch wasn’t a strike. Sometimes you just raise a little hell for your players.

Not by diminishing them.

It's not that Maryland was outwrestled. They were thoroughly unprepared.

Terp 174 pounder to Starocci, prior to the handshake:
"Hey, I have no business being on the same mat as you, and my coach is a douche, so I'm just gonna let you tech me in the first period."

Starocci: "Uh, okay, I guess."

Terp: "Just be kind and don't make it hurt."

Starocci: "WTF?"

Terp near end of 1st period, after giving up six easy TDs: "It's almost over! I'm right here, on my hands and knees. Come get the takedown!"

Starocci: Eff this shit. I'm gonna pin your sorry ass."

Terp: "Well, okay, just don't make it hurt."

Starocci: "Since you're not gonna even try, I'm gonna fold your ass like an accordion."

I agree. I didn't even mind the part about what he believes his coach would do to him as much, but, his adding that he would have had to have thrown a punch was unnecessary.
Agree. The first part of the tweet was just funny (blow bag, accordion, etc). Just didn't need the last sentence.

Still, in the big scheme, not exactly a first order problem.

Trying to split hairs sort of says it all. That said, I never said an Iowa wrestler did that. I just said Iowa fans would have been ok with that and, well, we all know why.
touche-well-played-mark-wahlberg.gif

Maryland's Clemson has a career Big 10 conference coaching record of 2-36. Rather than trash talking with the Penn State staff, he should focus his attention on coaching his guys.

Last edited:
Rewatched brooks match at with just over 1 minute left in 3rd you can hear him talking after he was slapped a few times.
says ”what’s the score” several times then also says “shoot, shoot”

Rewatched brooks match at with just over 1 minute left in 3rd you can hear him talking after he was slapped a few times.
says ”what’s the score” several times then also says “shoot, shoot”

And he was perfectly justified in doing it. Aside from the fact that Smith was arguably stalling for much/most of the match, the chippy sh** while he was getting his ass beat is just low. I feel mostly the same way about Smith's clubbing as I felt about Clemsen's whining. If you don't want to be beaten badly, then stand up and fight. This isn't synchronized swimming, it's wrestling (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Reactions: goldenanimal

I'd prefer our sport not stoop to that level. Stay classy.

Reactions: billrag
And he was perfectly justified in doing it. Aside from the fact that Smith was arguably stalling for much/most of the match, the chippy sh** while he was getting his ass beat is just low. I feel mostly the same way about Smith's clubbing as I felt about Clemsen's whining. If you don't want to be beaten badly, then stand up and fight. This isn't synchronized swimming, it's wrestling (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Maryland’s bench was obviously wound up (and hopefully a little embarrassed about the lack of effort…) after Starocci’s match, so I’m not surprised Smith was acting a little chippy. The ref did a good job allowing a little bit not letting it get out of control.

Maryland’s bench was obviously wound up (and hopefully a little embarrassed about the lack of effort…) after Starocci’s match, so I’m not surprised Smith was acting a little chippy. The ref did a good job allowing a little bit not letting it get out of control.

I'm not critical of the ref, seems like he was trying to do his job, but he could have called stalling, could have called the clubbing and definitely could have called the hand to Brooks' nose a dozen different times. I heard him telling Smith "be careful" or "keep it on top of the head" half a dozen times, but Smith just kept pushing Brooks back with a palm to the middle of his face. Probably not that big of a deal and Smith got just what he deserved, which was a loss by bonus.

For what it's worth, the ref also said, "keep it clean" quite a few times and he did get right up in Smith's grill one time to warn him to calm down, but at what point do you say, "OK, I've warned him plenty, that's a point"?

I'm not critical of the ref, seems like he was trying to do his job, but he could have called stalling, could have called the clubbing and definitely could have called the hand to Brooks' nose a dozen different times. I heard him telling Smith "be careful" or "keep it on top of the head" half a dozen times, but Smith just kept pushing Brooks back with a palm to the middle of his face. Probably not that big of a deal and Smith got just what he deserved, which was a loss by bonus.
After the clubbing, he stopped the match, brought them back to the center, and looked at Smith and said “that’s enough” loud enough to be heard on BTN.

He could have called stalling some, but that’s different than controlling the chippiness.

After the clubbing, he stopped the match, brought them back to the center, and looked at Smith and said “that’s enough” loud enough to be heard on BTN.

He could have called stalling some, but that’s different than controlling the chippiness.
Yup.

And maybe Smith draws Brooks on March 8 and Brooks will be more intense. That would be fun.

Just watched the 141 match (hadn't seen it previously, just listened to Byers). The scramble in the first period went forever (Clemson whined about it), but in fairness, they were never in a true stalemate position, Beau continued to work to improve and score the takedown. Admittedly, I'm biased, but I have no problem with the ref letting them wrestle through that. It was a nice win for Beau over someone that beat Mathews by major decision this year.
I thought it went on for way too long at first. As it went on I thought making them wrestle out of it was proving a point, you can sit hear all day or you can wrestle, and he was making them wrestle.

That being said, the stalemate that was quickly called late in the third and the take down 3 seconds after the whistle is why you call stalemate. It definitely went on for way to long.

I thought it went on for way too long at first. As it went on I thought making them wrestle out of it was proving a point, you can sit hear all day or you can wrestle, and he was making them wrestle.

That being said, the stalemate that was quickly called late in the third and the take down 3 seconds after the whistle is why you call stalemate. It definitely went on for way to long.
That scramble might be the most interesting part of the entire dual. I’m glad they didn’t stop it.

Maryland's Clemson has a career Big 10 conference coaching record of 2-36. Rather than trashing talking with the Penn State staff, he should focus his attention on coaching his guys.
You have to remember that when a match is over, everyone's adrenalin is still elevated. The Maryland coach was still a little pumped up when he confronted Casey.

And same goes for Casey, he might have just shrugged off what he heard if he was more relaxed.

However, Casey did have an alternative. If the Maryland wrestler's self-esteem was totally destroyed by Carter, Casey could have offered to let the Maryland wrestler go against Nico in the Penn State room. Everyone who does that comes out a winner!

That scramble might be the most interesting part of the entire dual. I’m glad they didn’t stop it.
I see it both ways, not arguing either point really. Just stating I thought stalemate, 5 seconds later Amine said about it, but I do understand that that was not a "stalemate position", that there was opportunity to score, and that's why the ref let it go for so long.

The lack of improvement is what did it for me 1:30 basically in the same position neither wrestler was really looking to change position, not necessarily boring but very very uneventful, until they realized the rwf was gonna let it go till the end of the period.

You have to remember that when a match is over, everyone's adrenalin is still elevated. The Maryland coach was still a little pumped up when he confronted Casey.

And same goes for Casey, he might have just shrugged off what he heard if he was more relaxed.
does anyone know for sure what, if anything, Casey said back to him?

I seriously doubt it was anything derogatory or even arguementative.

I don't know what Casey said but it sounds like Hayden went down with a potentially serious injury earlier in the day so I'll give Casey a little more slack if he was out of line.

Overall I think its one of those situations that gives us something to talk about but will be pretty meaningless in a few days.

Edit: Hayden not Asher

Last edited:
Please explain, I see it alot, I think I know what it is about but, I probably do not hence me not getting it.
Just a long running joke about any of our lightweights being at the level to beat Nico behind closed doors.
And I think Clemson was going to chirp to anyone who would listen.
I wouldnt be upset at the score but more the lack of effort..
Other teams are getting beat like this but they are doing everything they can to make it difficult.

Didn’t this really start earlier in the match around 141 or so?

psumacw

Well-Known Member​

Anybody catch the start of the back and forth between clemsen and Casey after the bow and arrow? All I heard was clemsen go "it doesn't matter" and Casey reply "it does"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT