ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

You are probably right. I never stated his strategy... If you read my original post, I simply stated I am getting sick & tired of these yearly coaching rumors. It seems like every freaking year since 2012 we are subjected to rumors/stories about our coaches leaving. From OB to Shoot to Morehead to Franklin .... It is getting old.

If Franklin does not like our facilities then he and Sandy need to lock themselves in a room, take off the gloves and either come to an agreement about getting more $$$ for what Franklin wants. Or, agree that at PSU it's not possible and agree to part ways.
And that wouldn’t happen if other programs didn’t want Franklin, so it’s actually a good thing.

But If they are true then you have nothing to worry about. Jimmy Booger Picker went as far as writing a freaking letter. He put it down on ink & paper. He'd look like a total slim to leave UM now.... But if he is 1,000% certain he is not leaving UM, then he has nothing to worry about.

I'm sure OB had ideas in his head that if he were offered the right NFL job he'd leave... OB made the decision to lie to the players, fans, family .... That was on him. But OB would not have been a liar if he was 1,000% certain he was not leaving.

.......... I get these guys SHOULD always leave an out. I even believe when asked similar type fo questions, JoePa himself gave himself a back-door out by saying "how do I know, I may not even be alive tomorrow...".

Harbaugh is lying to everybody. Another subpar (not exactly sure what that would be for Michigan these days as 3rd place in the Big10 seems to be par for that program) and he’s gone to the NFL if he gets an offer. Possibly even this year. Putting pen to paper means nothing. Making a definitive statement means nothing. If he leaves Michigan he has nothing to worry about. He just to people and his life moves on. These coaches don’t really seem to care.

It’s not Franklin’s fault that the media thinks PSU is a stepping stone to other programs. They are the ones pushing the narrative not Franklin
The media and reports are a self-fulfilling circle jerk. One writer publishes a story about "top candidates" for a job which is based strictly on how in demand that coach is, their job performance, and their buyout being feasible for a team to overcome. The initial story isn't based on rumors that the school is interested in the coach or vice-versa. The die hard fans find the story and start to react online. Other media outlets then find the story either from the source or via the fan reactions and circulate it everywhere on the internet in order to get people to click on their own re-publishing of a story that they know people are interested in, to get those clicks and that precious ad revenue. Next the story progresses from one reporter's brainstormed list of possible job candidates in one paper to an internet wide rumor that the school wants to hire so and so as coach. The media with access to both programs endlessly ask questions of people in the programs so they can write new stories about their responses, only furthering the same rumors and pushing it farther and wider (and again more of that sweet, sweet ad revenue). Once that snowball is rolling there's no stopping it. I really hate the 24/7 news cycle sometimes.

Reactions: bplionfan
Franklin isn’t going anywhere and if his agent is starting rumors to maximize his deal then he is doing a good job. That’s what they get paid to do. The press uses the “news” as click bait. People need to lighten up.

I think that's probably what's happening here.

But, I also don't think it's inconceivable for Franklin to jump unexpectedly to a USC or even FSU (or Texas, if that were to open next year, for example). He has made it clear that he wants to win a title and wants the resources to get it done. Even if he gets an extension and some concessions on facilities/salaries during this go-around, it's hard to say whether this administration is willing to go the distance and match what the Ohio States and LSUs and Texas's are doing. And if that commitment isn't there.......well, programs that are willing to go the distance may look more attractive.

Not sure how much the social media negativity truly impacts him. And I'm not sure how much the dreadlocks incident, the death threats to Clifford, the Davey Jones second-guessing, etc. gets to him. That kind of shit is going to happen at any major program -- at least the negativity and second-guessing. But he's a human being, and no telling how he has internalized that stuff. If he has a feeling that he's not truly wanted here, then I wouldn't blame him for leaving. And nobody here truly knows where his mind is at on that.

I think that's probably what's happening here.

But, I also don't think it's inconceivable for Franklin to jump unexpectedly to a USC or even FSU (or Texas, if that were to open next year, for example). He has made it clear that he wants to win a title and wants the resources to get it done. Even if he gets an extension and some concessions on facilities/salaries during this go-around, it's hard to say whether this administration is willing to go the distance and match what the Ohio States and LSUs and Texas's are doing. And if that commitment isn't there.......well, programs that are willing to go the distance may look more attractive.

Not sure how much the social media negativity truly impacts him. And I'm not sure how much the dreadlocks incident, the death threats to Clifford, the Davey Jones second-guessing, etc. gets to him. That kind of shit is going to happen at any major program -- at least the negativity and second-guessing. But he's a human being, and no telling how he has internalized that stuff. If he has a feeling that he's not truly wanted here, then I wouldn't blame him for leaving. And nobody here truly knows where his mind is at on that.

Latest FL St booster rumor: Franklin to FSU to be announced next week. I have no idea if true. Just passing along. I do feel something is awry.

Every time the rumors swirl they seem to hit home vs Penn St. Leave it to Sandy B to botch this

Last edited:
Latest FL St booster rumor: Franklin to FSU to be announced next week. I have no idea if true. Just passing along. I do feel something is awry.

Every time the rumors swirl they seem to hit home vs Penn St.

Yeah, who knows.

But the certainty with which some people here proclaim that he's not going anywhere doesn't really convince me. I think he's probably trying to leverage a deal for assistants and facilities here.......but we probably need to come to grips with the fact that him leaving (whether this year or beyond) is a very real possibility if he feels that this isn't the right environment for him.

A shame that dipshits on social media and elsewhere can create a false perception that he's not wanted here. Franklin is smart enough to know that you can't extrapolate based on the douchebaggery of a vocal minority. But no telling what he's hearing behind closed doors from boosters and others.

It just seems like he's been reacting to distracting events more so than usual. One just gets the sense that he's frustrated.

Every time the rumors swirl they seem to hit home vs Penn St. Leave it to Sandy B to botch this

Where did you get this?

Link???????

Yeah, who knows.

But the certainty with which some people here proclaim that he's not going anywhere doesn't really convince me. I think he's probably trying to leverage a deal for assistants and facilities here.......but we probably need to come to grips with the fact that him leaving (whether this year or beyond) is a very real possibility if he feels that this isn't the right environment for him.

A shame that dipshits on social media and elsewhere can create a false perception that he's not wanted here. Franklin is smart enough to know that you can't extrapolate based on the douchebaggery of a vocal minority. But no telling what he's hearing behind closed doors from boosters and others.

It just seems like he's been reacting to distracting events more so than usual. One just gets the sense that he's frustrated.
Agreed re: his reacting to outside nonsense, it’s as if he’s building a story that it’s “not for him” and needs “corroborating facts.”

Agreed re: his reacting to outside nonsense, it’s as if he’s building a story that it’s “not for him” and needs “corroborating facts.”

On the one hand, it may be calculated to give the impression that he's genuinely looking to leave as a way to strengthen his hand with Sandy.

On the other.....maybe he's just THAT beaten down for whatever reason.

We have absolutely no idea.

Many are assuming he's waging some Sun Tzu psychological strategy to gain leverage, particularly given his psych background. But that might be overthinking it. Time will tell.

If this is all genuine and he's really tired of it all, he better buckle up. Because it won't get any easier at FSU.

Reactions: psu00
He’s not going to FSU. He claims he is about the student athlete and appears sincere. Their facilities aren’t any better and their fan support is much worse. I don’t buy the argument that he is tired of facing OSU.

Seems like the above poster made up the booster claim. More info from Noles 247:

“Per the report, FSU is expected to 'come up empty' on some of the bigger names in the search, including Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Penn State's James Franklin, Iowa State's Matt Campbell, Kentucky'sMark Stoops, and Baylor's Matt Rhule.

FootballScoop did mention Brian Kelly of Notre Dame as a candidate who has "consistently hovered around the process."

Where did you get this?

As I said, it’s a rumor heard from a big FL St booster. No idea on validity. Seems serious. I hope not true. Also seems like there’s a lot of weird stuff being played out into the public forum, and JF radio silence on the matter of late. (I couldn’t believe no one asked him re: matter in latest presser!). We always end up eating these rumors turn to truth over the last 8 years. I am mentally preparing myself for bad news; would be nice to be wrong

As I said, it’s a rumor heard from a big FL St booster. No idea on validity. Seems serious. I hope not true. Also seems like there’s a lot of weird stuff being played out into the public forum, and JF radio silence on the matter of late. (I couldn’t believe no one asked him re: matter in latest presser!). We always end up eating these rumors turn to truth over the last 8 years. I am mentally preparing myself for bad news; would be nice to be wrong
Really always. He has been rumored for other jobs since he got here and he is in his 6th year

And how did you of all people get a hold of this info from a huge FSU booster?

We're all boosters, and we're all idiots.

And there’s just as many rumors that Matt Campbell is set to interview with FSU on Sunday. Doesn’t sound like a done deal to me

Seems like the above poster made up the booster claim. More info from Noles 247:

“Per the report, FSU is expected to 'come up empty' on some of the bigger names in the search, including Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Penn State's James Franklin, Iowa State's Matt Campbell, Kentucky'sMark Stoops, and Baylor's Matt Rhule.

FootballScoop did mention Brian Kelly of Notre Dame as a candidate who has "consistently hovered around the process."

The Mark Stoops one raises my eyebrows the most its not like Kentucky is a football factory but maybe he is looking at it he can win 7/8 games a year have alot of job security. Stoops also coached at FSU before so he would know how AD operates he is not impressed.

The Mark Stoops one raises my eyebrows the most its not like Kentucky is a football factory but maybe he is looking at it he can win 7/8 games a year have alot of job security. Stoops also coached at FSU before so he would know how AD operates he is not impressed.

Story that has been reported down here in FL is that Stoops was a secondary candidate, and he didn't want to be a backup plan, so he publicly withdrew his name from consideration.

Reactions: TheWizardofCamelot
Hard to believe Franklin would have all the players and their parents over for Thanksgiving if he was leaving for Tallahassee next week.
So, you find it hard to believe that he is going to continue to act like he is the coach at PSU up until the minute he is not, whether that be next week, next year, or 10 years from now?

They should just give it to that assistant who is currently the interim and pay bigger bucks for coordinators. That method has worked for OSU, OU, and LSU over the past couple of years?

And how did you of all people get a hold of this info from a huge FSU booster?

Easy man. I know a lot of people from all over. Just passing along what I heard directly. AGAIN, no idea if true. Just words out in the ether. Take with a grain of salt, but I for one feel that something is awry. Hope that Sandy is talking more $ into current program : coaching, and also talking to potential new coaches in the event JF bolts. Same color jerseys here, relax.

For the last time, he is using this for leverage....if he comes out and says he’s not going, his leverage is gone. Is it really that hard to follow?
I find your statement completely plausible from a business perspective and I would not be the least be surprised to see this situation play out in that manner.

On the other hand, I also find it completely possible that CJF will make a decision to leave PSU and go elsewhere for some reasons that he may make public and for other reasons we will never know.

Do you accept that second possibility or are you "all in (100%)" on your version?

I LOVE JFF. I want him to stay at PSU for life. However, at some time, and I know he is playing the negotiating game, he needs to come out and say no to some of this shit. I believe another poster said.....him not saying anything is the equivalent of a player putting his name In the portal.

I LOVE JFF. I want him to stay at PSU for life. However, at some time, and I know he is playing the negotiating game, he needs to come out and say no to some of this shit. I believe another poster said.....him not saying anything is the equivalent of a player putting his name In the portal.

I could be wrong but I remember him saying 2 weeks ago maybe after the Minnesota game that hes in a good place...psu is where he wants to be etc...

No it isn’t.

It most definitely isn’t close to the same.

No you're the only one dumb enough to say that

I find your statement completely plausible from a business perspective and I would not be the least be surprised to see this situation play out in that manner.

On the other hand, I also find it completely possible that CJF will make a decision to leave PSU and go elsewhere for some reasons that he may make public and for other reasons we will never know.

Do you accept that second possibility or are you "all in (100%)" on your version?
I’m 100% in on my version. There’s no reason to believe he’s going anywhere. I’m tired of all the sports “experts” tying Franklin to every open job that comes around (and even some that aren’t open) yet he’s still here.

This entire thread reeks of BS to me!
Just so I have this right.......
The coach who continually, constantly iterates1-0, 1-0, 1-0 on a daily basis is actively interviewing for a new gig, while the season is still going on?
I’m sorry, but I buy nothing in this entire thread!

This is all a diversion, so no one see CJF going to the real FSU, Fresno State University. ;)

Franklin isn’t going anywhere and if his agent is starting rumors to maximize his deal then he is doing a good job. That’s what they get paid to do. The press uses the “news” as click bait. People need to lighten up.

He is gone. You can thank the joebots

FSU fans are now expecting it to be Bob Stoops. Claiming Franklin is not a candidate.

Was looking at some of the posts on their premium board so I can't link them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT