ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

Franklin was the big name FSU had our there the last days and ND’s Kelly is the name today. They both have the same agent. I must admit that their agent is very good at his job.

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
Maybe because we would rather have Franklin than Rhule.

Yep.

I'm intrigued by the idea of Rhule as our coach. And I think that he *could* even prove to be the better long-term option.

But that's no guarantee. And unless we fall into a perennial Alamo Bowl type of status, it would be incredibly foolish to mess with a good thing we already have going.

It's good to know that Rhule would probably be our guy if Franklin left. But actually hoping for Franklin to leave? Very foolish.

Franklin was the big name FSU had our there the last days and ND’s Kelly is the name today. They both have the same agent. I must admit that their agent is very good at his job.

Who is Tom Allen's agent? :)

Not like he has any chance of getting the job at FSU, but interesting to see Allen being vetted for the job.

A bit wacky on the sidelines, and he hasn't exactly set the recruiting world on fire (though recruiting football players to IU isn't terribly easy). But he seems like a pretty fundamentally solid coach. I cannot imagine him at a program like FSU, though. He seems like the guy right out of central casting for a job like Iowa or Kansas State. Maybe Arkansas would take a look if Fuente doesn't pan out?

As one of the other posters said, with all the crazies out there, along with all the social media, it could very well have been someone who isn't even a Penn State fan who threatened Clifford.

An FBI file obtained by The Washington Times revealed a string of threatening letters sent to the former head coach and his staff three decades ago make no mention of Jerry Sandusky or his crimes against children.

According to the report by Nathan Fenno (Link: https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/29/joe-paterno-fbi-file-reveals-threats-gambling-theo/),

the 868 page file contains the details of several anonymous letters were sent to Paterno and his staff. One FBI file dated Dec. 16, 1977 noted the letters were "very upsetting to Coach Paterno."

Fanno wrote that 44 pages of the file were not released, citing "exemptions concerning unwarranted invasion of personal privacy and revealing a confidential source."

In 1977, four letters were sent to a female staffer that said her life "was in Paterno's hands," and was postmarked from Pittsburgh, the Times reported.

Another letter, sent to an assistant coach, said: 'I could do away with Paterno with no trouble. But I want to make him suffer. I want it to be on his conscious (sic) that he was responsible for a tragic accident to you."

The Times reported that Paterno did not take the offered local police protection, according to the file, and, "at one point, urged authorities to let him sit down with the person behind the letters if he was apprehended and help him."

"The letters signed 'A Bitter Father" reference dissatisfaction over the treatment of a former Penn State player who left the university after two years. The FBI suspected gambling connections in the letters, according to the files, but interviewed one suspect who blamed his wife's death and son's alcoholism on Paterno," the Times reported.

Paterno died from complications from lung cancer on Jan. 22. He was 85.

I don’t get the whole path to the playoff argument for leaving. If you look back over last 4 seasons, including this year, it hasn’t been losses to the buckeyes that have kept franklin from getting there. 2016 he’s in if he beats Pitt or Michigan. 2017 if he beats msu and this year if he beats Minnesota they’re probably in.

Would winning against osu help? Yes, but it’s not like there aren’t schools of Minnesota’s or MSUs or Pitts caliber in every other conference most seasons and if he can’t figure out how to stop dropping one of those every year he isn’t going to get over the hump.

I don’t get the whole path to the playoff argument for leaving. If you look back over last 4 seasons, including this year, it hasn’t been losses to the buckeyes that have kept franklin from getting there. 2016 he’s in if he beats Pitt or Michigan. 2017 if he beats msu and this year if he beats Minnesota they’re probably in.

Would winning against osu help? Yes, but it’s not like there aren’t schools of Minnesota’s or MSUs or Pitts caliber in every other conference most seasons and if he can’t figure out how to stop dropping one of those every year he isn’t going to get over the hump.
The only people putting forward that argument are on this board. I’m sure Franklin isn’t make career decisions based on other teams in the conference. It’s chasing fools gold. Who knows what teams will be a powerhouse in s couple years. OSU could take a step back as soon as he leaves for whatever reason

Does anyone want to bet money that Franklin leaves for FSU? I would be on the betting end that he stays. Serious.

Reactions: TheGLOV
That would work...because no coach has ever sworn he was "staying" and then left.

I answered this exact thing already. There is 1 person on the face of the Earth who knows if he is truly interested or not... and that is the coach himself. Someone stated that Harbaugh would look like a fool if he leaves after writing that letter a few weeks back proclaiming he is staying. Well, if Jimmy knows for 1,000 % certainty that he is staying at Michigan, than he has 1,000% of NOT looking like a fool for writing that letter. If Franklin is 100% committed to staying at Penn State, than he'd run 0% risk of looking bad by proclaiming that he has no interest in FSU, USC or any other college job.

Right now there are probably 3 people on the face of the Earth who truly know if Franklin has any interest in FSU (or USC). Those would be Franklin, Franklin's wife and Franklin's agent. The powers at FSU probably do not even know because they could be getting "played" by Franklin (IF he is talking to them). So being 1 of 3 people on the face of the Earth who truly knows the answer to whether or not he has any interest in FSU's job, he really has zero risk of stating publicly that he is not interested in the job.

I answered this exact thing already. There is 1 person on the face of the Earth who knows if he is truly interested or not... and that is the coach himself. Someone stated that Harbaugh would look like a fool if he leaves after writing that letter a few weeks back proclaiming he is staying. Well, if Jimmy knows for 1,000 % certainty that he is staying at Michigan, than he has 1,000% of NOT looking like a fool for writing that letter. If Franklin is 100% committed to staying at Penn State, than he'd run 0% risk of looking bad by proclaiming that he has no interest in FSU, USC or any other college job.

Right now there are probably 3 people on the face of the Earth who truly know if Franklin has any interest in FSU (or USC). Those would be Franklin, Franklin's wife and Franklin's agent. The powers at FSU probably do not even know because they could be getting "played" by Franklin (IF he is talking to them). So being 1 of 3 people on the face of the Earth who truly knows the answer to whether or not he has any interest in FSU's job, he really has zero risk of stating publicly that he is not interested in the job.
Harbaugh has never had a problem with looking like a fool.

I have no idea why anyone is worried. This is a very good job. If he chooses to leave? Matt Rhule would jump here in a heartbeat. I can't think of any other school in a more enviable position than us.
Matt Rhule isn't coming back to PSU.

I've been told that he desires to leverage his Baylor turnaround into an NFL head coaching stint, provided he has control over team composition.

Matt Rhule isn't coming back to PSU.

I've been told that he desires to leverage his Baylor turnaround into an NFL head coaching stint, provided he has control over team composition.

Then I guess I’m confused as to why you’re jerking off to the idea of dumping Franklin and hiring Rhule.

Reactions: jmorovich
Then I guess I’m confused as to why you’re jerking off to the idea of dumping Franklin and hiring Rhule.
Matt Rhule should come back to resurrect PSU Football, be even he realizes there are better professional opportunities.

PSU, as an institution, has undeniably regressed over the past 30 years. My beloved Alma Mater isn't even remotely the same institution it was under the leadership of Eric Walker, John Oswald or Bryce Jordan. The downfall of PSU began with the appointment of Joab Thomas.

Matt Rhule should come back to resurrect PSU Football, be even he realizes there are better professional opportunities.

PSU, as an institution, has undeniably regressed over the past 30 years. My beloved Alma Mater isn't even remotely the same institution it was under the leadership of Eric Walker, John Oswald or Bryce Jordan. The downfall of PSU began with the appointment of Joab Thomas.
That is for certain...and I have a daughter that is proudly attending.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy

Franklin already resurrected Penn State Football.

I hate these people that somehow think just because Rhule played at PSU he better suited to be our coach - so small minded and living in the past mentality - IF JF leaves and I don’t think he will I want someone with zero PSU ties - just to piss off the idiotS who have that as their first and only criteria. Al Golden is looking for a job why don’t we hire him he played as PSU.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
It doesn't surprise me that you get confused.

It's easy to get confused when attempting to discern the logic in your nonsensical inconsistencies.

"Hire Rhule now!"

"Rhule isn't coming here!"

"Dump Franklin and get Rhule!"

"No way Rhule is coming, he's NFL bound".

Many more disciplined and respectable posters have done what I should have done a long time ago, and that's refrain from even attempting to dialogue with the intellectual equivalent of an attention-whoring yo-yo.

Reactions: acg116
Ok I don't have the link but about 15 minutes ago this just came on my phone, from Saturday Tradition, "Mutual interest between Franklin and FSU", apparently James's agent has reached out to Florida State.

Ok I don't have the link but about 15 minutes ago this just came on my phone, from Saturday Tradition, "Mutual interest between Franklin and FSU", apparently James's agent has reached out to Florida State.

The Thanksgiving meal food must have sucked.

I read that CJF cut Shorter loose because he was looking around. Something to the effect that if the player is looking around the staff is going to do the same thing.

So what should PSU be doing right now if CJF is talking to FSU?

Reactions: zubrus1
I read that CJF cut Shorter loose because he was looking around. Something to the effect that if the player is looking around the staff is going to do the same thing.

Too bad there isn't a coaches portal. That would be great media fodder.

Shorter pretty much quit on the team when he or someone made it known he had submitted his name into the portal. Don’t think CJF has made it known he doesn’t want to be here.

I don’t think your first paragraph is entirely accurate.

I don’t think your first paragraph is entirely accurate.
He summarized that approach with one statement.

"If you're looking, we're looking," Franklin said.

"You can't be on the team, be looking around and shopping around, and now we're stuck," he continued. "So if you enter the portal and you're looking around, we're gonna cancel your aid at the end of the semester. That doesn't mean that you can't come back and join the team, but now that's our choice if we're gonna bring you back. We're gonna operate as if you're no longer with us."

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...horter-not-on-Nittany-Lions-roster-139312565/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT