ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
"Noles247 confirmed on Wednesday that representatives for FSU and Penn State coach James Franklin have talked at this point in the process. Franklin was believed to be a candidate, and now we know he is a target that FSU has vetted."

This is all a possibility, especially with Franklin's incredibly low buyout. I wonder if Franklin is best suited to be a culture driver and he can come in and turn this place around. Whether he and his staff are tacticians enough to win championships long term, I have my doubts. I wouldn't begrudge Franklin for leaving really.

"Noles247 confirmed on Wednesday that representatives for FSU and Penn State coach James Franklin have talked at this point in the process. Franklin was believed to be a candidate, and now we know he is a target that FSU has vetted."

Already reported in the USC thread; bigger fish to fry this weekend.

tenor.gif

If I have learned one thing about these coaching rumors, it's that eventually they become true and a coach leaves. That is if it is even rumored to begin with. Not right away, the coach may stay for a few more years, but eventually, they leave and this has been rumored for Franklin the last few years. The coaches that stay at their schools long term, you just don't hear them rumored as much. I don't see Ryan Day or Dabo rumored to other jobs really. Maybe this is a ploy from Franklin to get all he wants from the administration, but I hate the approach, but understand it.

Very nice of CJF's agent to float this out there (I am assuming he is the one that let it slip out, though maybe not) (The very nice part is Sarcasm).
Here is the leap of logic that I can't reconcile... If schools like FSU and USC are "steps up" for a mediocre (as some on this board would say) coach like Franklin, then how in the heck would we ever land a "premier" coach? All of these alleged slots are "better landing spots"? Why then would a premier coach come to PSU if so many better spots available? Or are we relegated to getting coaches that someone like FSU can't? Color me confused...

Reactions: NittanyTerp
It's funny to read the thread on the liar board on how pleased they are with the rumor. Amazing how their opinion of him changes.

Why? If they continued to play us they would still lose and they are still not going to get any recruits we want or transfers. They never learn. They truly are idiots.

Reactions: JJTopp99
I get franklin is the hottest coach in the country right now, I guess because he is available(?), but if he gets his teeth kicked in this weekend is he still teflon to nole nation?

Reactions: odshowtime
Biggest game of the year and Franklin’s agent is throwing out a great distractor for the game. Ugh!
If it were just his agent and CJF didn't want this out there....his agent would be fired. PSU knows what they have to do to fix this....this isn't some secret. LSU and Bama have staffs that are crazy big and they pay their coordinators like they are HC's. You are either in the game or you aren't.....sucks that is how this business is run, but that is the simple reality of the matter.

I get franklin is the hottest coach in the country right now, I guess because he is available(?), but if he gets his teeth kicked in this weekend is he still teflon to nole nation?
Yes....other people aren't as fickle and dumb as some of our fans. They see the big picture and realize he would turn them around as well. Hopefully PSU is locking things up long term which is hopefully going on behind the scenes. Even though we have dumb fans....most know we have a great HC and want him here for a while.

Hey you found a silver lining in the storm that's brewing tomorrow!

I guess I just don't get it. First of all, I am a huge Franklin guy and wish he was at PSU forever! But here is what I don't get:

"If they want to keep JFF they are going to have to pay him and do it now."
"JFF is a used car salesman and needs to go"
"Big time programs pay their assistant coaches big time"
"Fire Rhane and Pry"

?????????

I guess I just don't get it. First of all, I am a huge Franklin guy and wish he was at PSU forever! But here is what I don't get:

"If they want to keep JFF they are going to have to pay him and do it now."
"JFF is a used car salesman and needs to go"
"Big time programs pay their assistant coaches big time"
"Fire Rhane and Pry"

?????????
Fans are fickle...dumb ones tend to be the loudest following any bump in the road. Hope that helps.

Yes....other people aren't as fickle and dumb as some of our fans. They see the big picture and realize he would turn them around as well. Hopefully PSU is locking things up long term which is hopefully going on behind the scenes. Even though we have dumb fans....most know we have a great HC and want him here for a while.

So you're hanging your argument on the intelligence and big picture thinking of Florida State Football fans - the same ones who drove Jimbo Fisher to leave for the #4 school in the SEC West. About par for the course with you.

If Franklin wants to go he should just go. Starting to become obvious he doesn't view himself as a fit for Penn State. We'll survive.

Here is the leap of logic that I can't reconcile... If schools like FSU and USC are "steps up" for a mediocre (as some on this board would say) coach like Franklin, then how in the heck would we ever land a "premier" coach? All of these alleged slots are "better landing spots"? Why then would a premier coach come to PSU if so many better spots available? Or are we relegated to getting coaches that someone like FSU can't? Color me confused...

How did thsane premier coach land st Vsnderbult before PSU?

It’s the same process.

If Franklin wants to go he should just go. Starting to become obvious he doesn't view himself as a fit for Penn State. We'll survive.

I would contend that it isn't that he doesn't want to be here, but rather he wants everything he wants here to compete with OSU, Bama, Clemson. He knows it is an arms race and perhaps he feels this is the only way to get what he wants because the threat of him leaving makes Sandy and team give him more.

I would contend that it isn't that he doesn't want to be here, but rather he wants everything he wants here to compete with OSU, Bama, Clemson. He knows it is an arms race and perhaps he feels this is the only way to get what he wants because the threat of him leaving makes Sandy and team give him more.
Exactly and if they don't do it....FSU or USC will after the last few years. Your foot is either on the gas in college football or you are going in reverse.

I think CJF is a good fit for Penn State and seems to be getting the job done the right way. Do I think he needs some of his assistants to step up....yes (Rahne). But I am not enough of a football expert to understand if some of the issues we see are with play calling or errors with execution and/or just young men learning on the job. While I don't think CJF is looking to leave for the greener pastures of Florida State or USC, his low buy out has to be the reason that is name is brought up for every job in the country that is rumored to be open. What's next.....he will be going to Pitt when Narduzze heads to Michigan State?

How did thsane premier coach land st Vsnderbult before PSU?

It’s the same process.
It's the same process if you believe that PSU is just another step towards a premier job like USC or FSU... And if that's the case then we should never expect a premier coach to come here... I guess that's my point. Premier coaches go to premier schools. And if USC/FSU > PSU then maybe we should be happy with the coach we have?

Then FSU is a stupid school to be using for leverage, their facilities are a joke compared to top dogs. We at least have an indoor practice field. Part of the reason Jimbo left.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Then FSU is a stupid school to be using for leverage, their facilities are a joke compared to top dogs. We at least have an indoor practice field. Part of the reason Jimbo left.

A&M has some of the best football facilities in college football, stadium basically brand new as it was rebuilt section by section in place, they redid their football center, built a second indoor facility, their fans are crazy passionate, and they threw oil barrels full of $$$ at him. That being said, I think he is going to actually take A&M down a few notches because he will leave the place a mess like he did FSU.

I think FSU and the area are a shithole. Been there and I was not impressed. You are giving Sandy too much credit if you think she knows exactly what FSU may or may not have.

Reactions: Nittanylion930
A&M has some of the best football facilities in college football, stadium basically brand new as it was rebuilt section by section in place, they redid their football center, built a second indoor facility, their fans are crazy passionate, and they threw oil barrels full of $$$ at him. That being said, I think he is going to actually take A&M down a few notches because he will leave the place a mess like he did FSU.

And Florida State is nearly two years away from having a standalone football operations building whose total cost is less than that of the Lasch renovations, what's the point here relative to Franklin using FSU as leverage?

And Florida State is nearly two years away from having a standalone football operations building whose total cost is less than that of the Lasch renovations, what's the point here relative to Franklin using FSU as leverage?

Because it is not like Sandy is going to send someone down to FSU to do an examination of what FSU has and doesn't have and then try to call agent's bluff. Agent would just tell Sandy all the things FSU is willing to do and going to offer CJF. Whether it is true or not does not matter. It is poker and both sides are going to bluff to some degree.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Penn State Head Coach job is a great job because of fans. Every coach has few nuts who hate the coach for no reason. CJF is a great HC for Penn State. Pay him a competitive compensation package to put an end to rumors. Saban was offered a very large package as reported in the rumor mill, 10 millions a year. Ridiculous! Penn State should match any reasonable offer to keep CJF by adding a large severance amount.

Upfront, I am a big CJF fan and love our team win or lose!

Because it is not like Sandy is going to send someone down to FSU to do an examination of what FSU has and doesn't have and then try to call agent's bluff. Agent would just tell Sandy all the things FSU is willing to do and going to offer CJF. Whether it is true or not does not matter. It is poker and both sides are going to bluff to some degree.

I haven't visited FSU either but I have the ability to Google FSU's football facilities and the reasons behind Jimbo's departure.

I totally understand putting pressure on the administration to get fully behind football and I like it to an extent.

But at some point, Penn State has to protect itself and not allow a coach to hold it hostage every time another school comes calling. The same way Franklin doesn't let recruits like RJ Adams string him along, Penn State has to respect itself.

If I have learned one thing about these coaching rumors, it's that eventually they become true and a coach leaves. That is if it is even rumored to begin with. Not right away, the coach may stay for a few more years, but eventually, they leave and this has been rumored for Franklin the last few years. The coaches that stay at their schools long term, you just don't hear them rumored as much. I don't see Ryan Day or Dabo rumored to other jobs really. Maybe this is a ploy from Franklin to get all he wants from the administration, but I hate the approach, but understand it.
It’s because the media folks don’t see PSU as a top level job....that doesn’t mean CJF doesn’t see it that way.

Reactions: ram2020
Really? You know this a fact? Did some media type say those words specifically?
Do they ever say anything specifically? I’m not sure what else can be taken from the fact that they report Franklin is involved in job openings for Texas A&M, FSU, USC....and who knows what other openings when coaches like Dabo, Saban, Harbaugh, Urban/Day, Riley are never mentioned. So why is that if they think PSU is a top level job?

Actually this is not accurate. While sandy doesn’t send people out to look I sat through a meeting with sandy last year that included Franklins agent Trace Armstrong discussing facilitates around the country. They had a complete PowerPoint presentation that included pictures, square footage, cost, amenities, for several schools football buildings. I know most of you think she is an idiot but she was well prepared for the discussion and there was an open and frank discussion.

As for James leaving, I just don’t know. I think there are some things that have happened this year that may drive him away more than him running to something. I hope it doesn’t happen. I really like the guy and the kids really like him. We will go backwards for a while if he leaves.

Do they ever say anything specifically? I’m not sure what else can be taken from the fact that they report Franklin is involved in job openings for Texas A&M, FSU, USC....and who knows what other openings when coaches like Dabo, Saban, Harbaugh, Urban/Day, Riley are never mentioned. So why is that if they think PSU is a top level job?

Oh they are mentioned (maybe not Day or Saban)

The reason they look at Franklin is because he has done an amazing job at PSU He could do the same thing at USC or FSU. Plus he has a small buyout unlike other coaches. Plus-he us arguably the most successful minority’s head coach in D-1 football (Shaw at Stanford has more wins in the same timeframe).

Just yesterday I heard theee different reports that said if Franklin leaves then PSU trumps all other programs that would have job openings.

It’s a premier job because the last three head coaches have made it so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT