ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

the yearly rumors of OB leaving, to the yearly rumors of assistants such as Shoop & Morehead leaving, and now what seems like the yearly rumors of Franklin leaving

Welcome to big time college football without JoePa. Every other school has the same issue. Do you think LSU fans are concerned about other schools poaching Brady from them? Maybe not right now, but soon if their offense keeps producing. We were spoiled for a long time.

No. Not really. I saw Jimmy Harbaugh throttle the 'media twits' earlier this season. When Michigan was struggling, there were media reports all over about Jimmy bailing on Um and going to the NFL. Jimmy responded with a letter written to all the UM players & recruits that the reports were nothing but rumors and he was staying at Michigan. His letter instantly silenced the rumors being spewed by the media twits.

IF Franklin wanted, he could end the rumors with a 2-minute statement during his next PC. All he has to do is ask one of the beat writers that he trusts the most, to do him a favor and ask a question about the coaching rumors.... Franklin takes this pre-arranged question to go on a 2-minute rant that he is staying at PSU .... Boom. Harbaugh did it.

Harbaugh also sounded like he had a few screws loose in the process. I'm fine with Franklin not emulating Harbaugh.

If Franklin needs to use this as leverage to get Sandy off her ass and speed up his extension/raise then so be it. Harbaugh is already the 3rd highest paid coach behind Saban/Dabo, not sure he wants for anything at this point.

Harbaugh is already the 3rd highest paid coach behind Saban/Dabo, not sure he wants for anything at this point.

Why would Harbaugh walk away from a job that pays him that well to be so mediocre? He seems like he'll make them fire him before he walks away.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
No. Not really. I saw Jimmy Harbaugh throttle the 'media twits' earlier this season. When Michigan was struggling, there were media reports all over about Jimmy bailing on Um and going to the NFL. Jimmy responded with a letter written to all the UM players & recruits that the reports were nothing but rumors and he was staying at Michigan. His letter instantly silenced the rumors being spewed by the media twits.

IF Franklin wanted, he could end the rumors with a 2-minute statement during his next PC. All he has to do is ask one of the beat writers that he trusts the most, to do him a favor and ask a question about the coaching rumors.... Franklin takes this pre-arranged question to go on a 2-minute rant that he is staying at PSU .... Boom. Harbaugh did it.

CJF can address it when and how he wants to, not how us fans want him to or when we want him to.

Why would Harbaugh walk away from a job that pays him that well to be so mediocre? He seems like he'll make them fire him before he walks away.

That was the point. Harbaugh doesn't need to leverage anyone for anything at this point, freeing him to concoct denials involving dark forces conspiring against him.

Reactions: MJG-90

Harbaugh also gets everything he wants and doesn’t really need to negotiate for anything.

I like Franklin. I wish Franklin stays at Penn State until the day he retires. That being said, I am just sick and freaking tired of the seemingly non-stop "drama" that has surrounded this program since Nov. 2011. From the JS mess, to the NCAA sanctions, to the yearly rumors of OB leaving, to the yearly rumors of assistants such as Shoop & Morehead leaving, and now what seems like the yearly rumors of Franklin leaving ..... I am sick & freaking tired of the drama....

If losing Franklin and the program taking 1 or 2 steps backwards for the SHORT TERM to get a guy like Rhule, who would probably make this his "retirement job" .... then I am about to say "just leave already'. If you want to stay then great. Love you and want you here for a long time. But please, let's put an end to these yearly drama games.
Here’s the problem...let’s say Franklin signs a 10 year extension for gobs of money....then USC holds on to Helton for another year and fires him next year...guess who’s name is going to be first on the list as his replacement by all the media morons? The media does not see PSU as a destination job so Franklin’s name will keep popping up.

At this point Franklin should
Here’s the problem...let’s say Franklin signs a 10 year extension for gobs of money....then USC holds on to Helton for another year and fires him next year...guess who’s name is going to be first on the list as his replacement by all the media morons? The media does not see PSU as a destination job so Franklin’s name will keep popping up.

And then Franklin can release statements about how dark wizards or the Sith are starting these rumors to help our enemies advance their sinister agendas at our expense.

And yet Josh Gattis, who's from that neck of the woods, and is a dynamic recruiter, isn't involved in the conversation. I think he would be a good fit there, because Harbaugh is going to be in the Dallas Cowboy soon to be opening, maybe the Giants also.

Harbaugh was responding to reports from NFL insiders that ended up on the ticker of the two biggest sports networks, not a rumor that seems largely confined to said FSU fan site and this one (based apparently entirely on the "report" from the FSU site.) What's the threshold for a coach having to issue a denial? Is it that anytime any website issues a report and group of people take it as gospel?

Reactions: 81b&w

O’Brien lied to the players, fans, and families like that. It’s disingenuous to make definitive statements if they’re not true.

Harbaugh also gets everything he wants and doesn’t really need to negotiate for anything.

Wrong. Schemechler Hall is dated as all hell, he can't take JUCOs, he's got numerous Michigan admins that want to deprioritize athletics. He's miles behind PSU in many regards and miles behind OSU in all regards

He just had two assistants poached to OSU in lateral moves, one his friend Greg Mattison

The report cites the Orlando Sentinel which cites the FSU 247 website - same "source" as the original rumor. At the same time, the same FSU 247 reporter who claims Franklin is interested in the FSU job is also reporting that Franklin is going to get an extension from PSU in the near future. One other note, if you read enough of the FSU 247 stuff you will discover that one of his sources is none other than my friend and yours, Mr. David Jones from the always reliable PennLive.

Last edited:
Yes. Those murals really do it for you? It's small and shoehorned into the corner of a dated athletic campus
Harbaugh seems to like it . But I guess your opinion is more important than his or the recruits

We had a great opportunity to see the progress of the renovation to Schembechler Hall yesterday...like our weight room, these updates will make a huge impact on our program. Finishing February 2019 but take a look now #TheMichiganDifference #LeadersAndBest #GoBlue

Harbaugh seems to like it . But I guess your opinion is more important than his or the recruits

We had a great opportunity to see the progress of the renovation to Schembechler Hall yesterday...like our weight room, these updates will make a huge impact on our program. Finishing February 2019 but take a look now #TheMichiganDifference #LeadersAndBest #GoBlue

And Franklin said he's never leaving and Saban said he's not gonna be the Alabama coach, what's your point here?

Do you guys seriously take people at their word this readily? Would love to do business with you

And Franklin said he's never leaving and Saban said he's not gonna be the Alabama coach, what's your point here?

Do you guys seriously take people at their word this readily? Would love to do business with you
That Michigan has better facilities than PSU i probablt do. PSU needs updated facilities if you want to compete for Top recruits and national championships as that is what kids are looking for.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...cilities-rankings-2019-134061740/#134061740_1

How about you leave, dickwad?

Reactions: 81b&w
The report cites the Orlando Sentinel which cites the FSU 247 website - same "source" as the original rumor. At the same time, the same FSU 247 reporter who claims Franklin is interested in the FSU job is also reporting that Franklin is going to get an extension from PSU in the near future. One other note, if you read enough of the FSU 247 stuff you will discover that one of his sources is none other than my friend and yours, Mr. David Jones from the always reliable PennLive.

:mad::mad::mad:

That Michigan has better facilities than PSU i probablt do. PSU needs updated facilities if you want to compete for Top recruits and national championships as that is what kids are looking for.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...cilities-rankings-2019-134061740/#134061740_1

So he has middle-of-the-road facilities, isn't allowed to recruit JUCOs, and has a staff budget that's amenable to his assistants being poached by his biggest rival.

How does this equate to, "Harbaugh doesn't have to negotiate for anything and gets whatever he asks for"?

Hard to believe Franklin would have all the players and their parents over for Thanksgiving if he was leaving for Tallahassee next week.

I like Franklin. I wish Franklin stays at Penn State until the day he retires. That being said, I am just sick and freaking tired of the seemingly non-stop "drama" that has surrounded this program since Nov. 2011. From the JS mess, to the NCAA sanctions, to the yearly rumors of OB leaving, to the yearly rumors of assistants such as Shoop & Morehead leaving, and now what seems like the yearly rumors of Franklin leaving ..... I am sick & freaking tired of the drama....

If losing Franklin and the program taking 1 or 2 steps backwards for the SHORT TERM to get a guy like Rhule, who would probably make this his "retirement job" .... then I am about to say "just leave already'. If you want to stay then great. Love you and want you here for a long time. But please, let's put an end to these yearly drama games.
Better quit watching CFB then...that is the norm...JoePa was the anomaly.

It’s not Franklin’s fault that the media thinks PSU is a stepping stone to other programs. They are the ones pushing the narrative not Franklin

Last edited:
Welcome to big time college football without JoePa. Every other school has the same issue. Do you think LSU fans are concerned about other schools poaching Brady from them? Maybe not right now, but soon if their offense keeps producing. We were spoiled for a long time.

No. I live in Atlanta and I do not hear that about Kirby Smart

It’s not Franklin’s fault that the media thinks PSU is a stepping stone to other programs. Their the ones pushing the narrative not Franklin

I agree. But IMO it's like being accused of a crime. let's say you were accused of a crime. There is nothing you could do about it. You can not control what other people say about you, or accuse you of..... But, if you were accused of a crime that had absolutely no truth or merit what would you do.... Would you remain silent, shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, nothing I can do about it". Or, would you scream and cry from the highest pulpit that the accusations were not true???

So he has middle-of-the-road facilities, isn't allowed to recruit JUCOs, and has a staff budget that's amenable to his assistants being poached by his biggest rival.

How does this equate to, "Harbaugh doesn't have to negotiate for anything and gets whatever he asks for"?
So have the 12 rated facilities out of 120 teams is middle of the road.

He has 3 assistants making more than $1M so it doesn't seem like he doesn't have enough money to pay his staff. Maybe they moved to better opportunities

Not sure juco transfers are big on the list of priorities for most of the top programs. Harbaugh seems to do pretty well getting transfers in from other programs.

What else are you going to use as excuses for Harbaugh and Michigan winning a championship since he's been there
Https://www.crainsdetroit.com/sports/michigan-near-top-million-dollar-assistant-coaches

Better quit watching CFB then...that is the norm...JoePa was the anomaly.

Well, let's take account to the program we'd like to compare ourselves to:

What NCAA jobs were Lincoln Riley connected to the last few seasons?
What NCAA jobs were Kirby Smart connected to the last few seasons?
Ed Orgeron & Ryan Day are the hot brilliant coaches, are they being tied to any other jobs?
Outside of Bama (because he went to Bama) what other jobs has Dabo been rumored for?

I must have missed all of these. Outside of Lincoln Riley POSSIBLY being the target of Jerry Jones should he ever fire Jason Garret, there is never much yearly talk about any of these guys.

This thread gives hope to all Nigerian Princes who need a one time payment to unlock their family's fortune

I agree. But IMO it's like being accused of a crime. let's say you were accused of a crime. There is nothing you could do about it. You can not control what other people say about you, or accuse you of..... But, if you were accused of a crime that had absolutely no truth or merit what would you do.... Would you remain silent, shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, nothing I can do about it". Or, would you scream and cry from the highest pulpit that the accusations were not true???
For the last time, he is using this for leverage....if he comes out and says he’s not going, his leverage is gone. Is it really that hard to follow?

Reactions: grinagrin
This thread gives hope to all Nigerian Princes who need a one time payment to unlock their family's fortune
Yes, because Franklin is so untrustworthy...much like a Nigerian prince...dumbass.

O’Brien lied to the players, fans, and families like that. It’s disingenuous to make definitive statements if they’re not true.

But If they are true then you have nothing to worry about. Jimmy Booger Picker went as far as writing a freaking letter. He put it down on ink & paper. He'd look like a total slim to leave UM now.... But if he is 1,000% certain he is not leaving UM, then he has nothing to worry about.

I'm sure OB had ideas in his head that if he were offered the right NFL job he'd leave... OB made the decision to lie to the players, fans, family .... That was on him. But OB would not have been a liar if he was 1,000% certain he was not leaving.

.......... I get these guys SHOULD always leave an out. I even believe when asked similar type fo questions, JoePa himself gave himself a back-door out by saying "how do I know, I may not even be alive tomorrow...".

Franklin isn’t going anywhere and if his agent is starting rumors to maximize his deal then he is doing a good job. That’s what they get paid to do. The press uses the “news” as click bait. People need to lighten up.

Reactions: OaktonDave
For the last time, he is using this for leverage....if he comes out and says he’s not going, his leverage is gone. Is it really that hard to follow?

You are probably right. I never stated his strategy... If you read my original post, I simply stated I am getting sick & tired of these yearly coaching rumors. It seems like every freaking year since 2012 we are subjected to rumors/stories about our coaches leaving. From OB to Shoot to Morehead to Franklin .... It is getting old.

If Franklin does not like our facilities then he and Sandy need to lock themselves in a room, take off the gloves and either come to an agreement about getting more $$$ for what Franklin wants. Or, agree that at PSU it's not possible and agree to part ways.

You are probably right. I never stated his strategy... If you read my original post, I simply stated I am getting sick & tired of these yearly coaching rumors. It seems like every freaking year since 2012 we are subjected to rumors/stories about our coaches leaving. From OB to Shoot to Morehead to Franklin .... It is getting old.

If Franklin does not like our facilities then he and Sandy need to lock themselves in a room, take off the gloves and either come to an agreement about getting more $$$ for what Franklin wants. Or, agree that at PSU it's not possible and agree to part ways.
Or he could continue to push the envelope on facilities and still stay loyal to PSU. I prefer that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT