ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State to Big-10?

The Big Ten has plenty of ‘filler’ already. It’s mostly filler.

Outside of Michigan, OSU, and PSU the conference is just flippin’ horrible. It would make zero sense to add more of that with Georgia Tech, Virginia, Cal, or Stanford.

Oregon, Washington, and USC are solid additions that help.

UCLA simply has had incompetent people in charge of their athletics department for decades. Yeah they’re good in Olympic sports but no one watches them and they lose lots of money. UCLA just abandoned all effort with regard to football.
Washington State and Oregon State. Keeps the rivalries and gives the B1G or B2G six schools on the West Coast.

Reactions: psu00
The B1G wants Florida and the gators won’t let the SEC take MIA or FSU in… the B1G wants Texas, too. A&M none too happy about UT coming in… watch that situation.
Florida isn't leaving the SEC
No one is leaving the SEC

Washington State and Oregon State. Keeps the rivalries and gives the B1G or B2G six schools on the West Coast.
If they go west it wouldn't be Washington State and Oregon State. It would be 2 of the 4 that just joined the Big XII or Stanford. No one wants Wazzu or Oregon State. The ACC took SMU over building a 4 team western block.

I’d go FSU and Miami.

I know Miami has had a thready pulse in football recently but they have been great in the past. It would preserve the FSU vs Miami rivalry which is one of the all time greats. It would also solidify the conference in Florida cutting into the SEC with recruiting and exposure throughout the heavily populated state (including Miami metro region). Not to mention there are a ton of Big Ten alumni/ snowbirds down there.

If you can't get ND (and as of now the Big Ten can't), I would take FSU and UNC. Two new states, and UNC has plenty of growth potential. Miami will be under water in 50 years. And as others have noted, they don't have many fans.

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz
Link below.

The rumors are intensifying and sound credible.

It's no secret that FSU is not happy in the ACC and has explored its options. The monumental playoff snub may (or may not) be a factor in triggering a move.

Boo Corrigan, the CFP chairman, is an ACC guy and obviously played a role in the committee's decision to exclude the Noles. And with the SEC having brought its massive propaganda machine to bear, FSU is not favorably inclined in that direction. But more than anything, there's the perception that the ACC's second-tier status (to the SEC and Big-10) ultimately cost the Noles a playoff spot.

Oh, and then there's the small matter of the reported additional $40 million a year that the Noles would bring in as a Big-10 member.

Stay tuned:

The above link plus other articles regarding Maryland's leaving of the ACC signals that the GOR is a bump in the road and after the lawsuits on both sides, the issue would be negotiated down to something that is simply part of the financial decision to switch conferences. So I would say that considering all that FSU has been through the past few weeks they are definitely "in play" and the upcoming meeting at the end of January will be very important.

The above link plus other articles regarding Maryland's leaving of the ACC signals that the GOR is a bump in the road and after the lawsuits on both sides, the issue would be negotiated down to something that is simply part of the financial decision to switch conferences. So I would say that considering all that FSU has been through the past few weeks they are definitely "in play" and the upcoming meeting at the end of January will be very important.

I still do not think the GOR (which is post Maryland leaving) is a bump in the road, but let’s say it is for the example of FSU. Who is the travel buddy for FSU? Miami or GT (both seem to not have the right tv viewership.) Or is Clemson in play? Each prior addition was either in a pair with a travel partner or already in a contiguous region (Neb, Marland, Rutgres.)

There was no GOR when Maryland left the ACC. So their situation is not particularly relevant. The only relevant situation would be Texas/Oklahoma who did actually buy out a year of their GOR with the Big 12 to join the SEC a year earlier. And that still coast them tens of millions.

I still do not think the GOR (which is post Maryland leaving) is a bump in the road, but let’s say it is for the example of FSU. Who is the travel buddy for FSU? Miami or GT (both seem to not have the right tv viewership.) Or is Clemson in play? Each prior addition was either in a pair with a travel partner or already in a contiguous region (Neb, Marland, Rutgres.)
Assuming Notre Dame is not in play - though if the ACC were falling apart they might be - then I would think the Big Ten would go for UNC as the top choice. It’s tough to say beyond them who else the Big Ten would consider (Miami(FL), Clemson, Georgia Tech, UVA would be my guesses) because they all have faults.

Yeah. I know others will say they don’t bring the money but I do feel bad how those 2 just got unceremoniously dumped by their PAC brothers. Hell, they’re both better additions than Stanford, Cal who found a new home.

Utah would be good to go along with FSU if not UNC or Miami. Rapidly growing state. Good program and good tv viewership #s. AAU member.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Utah would be good to go along with FSU if not UNC or Miami. Rapidly growing state. Good program and good tv viewership #s. AAU member.
I think the whole thing is stupid. The BiG Ten is becoming the entire continental U.S. excluding the Southeast and Southwest.

I think the whole thing is stupid. The BiG Ten is becoming the entire continental U.S. excluding the Southeast and Southwest.

Yeah, the conferences are over growing any reasonable sense of continuity.

Once all these conferences go from coast to coast it will be interesting to see how long they can survive that way. I think it takes a few years until the issues regarding travel/ expense, especially for the Olympic sports, really start to be a big issue.

At that point, it’s going to be hard for conferences to kick teams out. I think then we start to see much more talk about breaking from the ncaa and becoming a super conference with more regional play returned to the game.

Now, just like us, they have a bunch of fans clamoring to get out of their conference.
We are not trying to leave the Big 10, nor should we. It would be a monumentally stupid move. A very small number of fans on the message boards hope for it, which is little more than internet chatter. We have been fortunate to be in one of the best conferences in the country for the last 30 years and one of the only two that is positioned for success going forward.

I don't see this happening unless FSU has finally figured a way out of the ACC GOR contract. Rumors are that schools and their lawyers have been looking for a way out of that contract for years, and not one program has filed anything in order to do so, leading most to believe the contract is pretty air tight. The cited Twitter account posts a lot of predictions about expansion, and he misses on many of them. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into these reports.

Reactions: psu00
Ultimately, the B1G, SEC and a few other teams will split off for a super conference and at that time the rest of the sports will reform back into regional conferences of the past.

FSU no longer need worry about the ACC being perceived as a second tier conference. Not now that my Sturdy Golden Bears have joined the ACC. :cool:

Just don’t head to Clemson, Tally, or Miami for football games in August/ September, or any basketball games in Syracuse or Boston in January or February. ;)

No one is breaking the ACC GOR for awhile even though its fun to talk about.

No one is breaking the ACC GOR for awhile even though its fun to talk about.
That is the simple truth of it. And truly only 2 to maybe 3 schools would benefit from breaking it to go to the B1G or SEC despite this talk over the summer about the seven schools wanting to explore their options. And now they’ve added Stanford, Cal, and SMU to the conference since then, and each of those schools are coming in at a reduced revenue to give additional revenue to the rest of the conference. Some of the ACC schools provide less viewership than g of 5 schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT