ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State to Big-10?

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Link below.

The rumors are intensifying and sound credible.

It's no secret that FSU is not happy in the ACC and has explored its options. The monumental playoff snub may (or may not) be a factor in triggering a move.

Boo Corrigan, the CFP chairman, is an ACC guy and obviously played a role in the committee's decision to exclude the Noles. And with the SEC having brought its massive propaganda machine to bear, FSU is not favorably inclined in that direction. But more than anything, there's the perception that the ACC's second-tier status (to the SEC and Big-10) ultimately cost the Noles a playoff spot.

Oh, and then there's the small matter of the reported additional $40 million a year that the Noles would bring in as a Big-10 member.

Stay tuned:

Link below.

The rumors are intensifying and sound credible.

It's no secret that FSU is not happy in the ACC and has explored its options. The monumental playoff snub may (or may not) be a factor in triggering a move.

Boo Corrigan, the CFP chairman, is an ACC guy and obviously played a role in the committee's decision to exclude the Noles. And with the SEC having brought its massive propaganda machine to bear, FSU is not favorably inclined in that direction. But more than anything, there's the perception that the ACC's second-tier status (to the SEC and Big-10) ultimately cost the Noles a playoff spot.

Oh, and then there's the small matter of the reported additional $40 million a year that the Noles would bring in as a Big-10 member.

Stay tuned:

Unless Clemson bests them to it.

Reactions: step.eng69
given the ACC GOR, I don’t think FSU is going anywhere anytime soon. But I do think they are more likely to go to the Big Ten than the SEC - they add more value to the B10 by bringing in Florida than they do to the SEC.

IMHO, beyond the obvious target of Notre Dame, FSU would be the main other target that would make the Big Ten being willing to expand (UNC is probably next closest; no one else out there would be worth expanding for)

Reactions: stf110 and Jerry
Need 2. I'd take FSU and UNC. 2nd choice is either of Clemson and Miami. FSU & Miami would make snowbird alumni happy.

Would be cool but also we can't just have a conference of all top schools, need some filler like UVA, Ga Tech, California, some teams along those lines, North Carolina after Mack Brown, etc.

Reactions: Jerry and LMTLION
Need 2. I'd take FSU and UNC. 2nd choice is either of Clemson and Miami. FSU & Miami would make snowbird alumni happy.
Miami has no fans. They are the Pitt of FL. 30,000 I'd a huge crowd fir teams not FSU, ND, FL, etc. Imagine Beaver Stadium with 30,000 when we play Indiana, Temple, all of the preseason funkiest.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
FSU is not an AAU school which is a prerequisite of joining the B1G…
Neither is Notre Dame. Doesn’t seem to be a factor for wanting them.

Also I’d expect FSU to get into AAU sooner or later.

Reactions: psu00
Basically, if the Big Ten expands again (with the logical assumption that no SEC would be an option), I don’t think it would happen unless they get either FSU or Notre Dame. I don’t see any other combination of teams that would bring in sufficient revenue to warrant expanding.

Reactions: psu00 and Jerry
I believe they were when they were admitted then lost it.
They were but doesn't alter that they don't need it to get in. Not all members have it and that's the "excuse" to add FSU.

Let's be real. This is all just about money

I am old enough to remember when FSU was an independent, just like us.

Then they joined a conference.

Now, just like us, they have a bunch of fans clamoring to get out of their conference.

Ironically, that would be the same conference many of our members have clamored for us to switch to for years.

A few months back, I remarked that a move by FSU was likely imminent. Sooner than this, I thought.

Lots of folks think the contract buyout is too large.

I am not hearing anybody at FSU saying that, tho.

So, imminent it remains.

Reactions: Washingtonlion
There is still the “minor matter” of the ACC Grant of Rights written agreement, which states that a member transfers its media rights "irrevocably and exclusively” until the GOR expires in 2036. Prior to 2036 a departing school would be required to transfer all of its revenue from its new conference over to the ACC. The GOR is absolute and no loophole has been found. It is literally impossible for any school to absorb those financial losses. The article is wishful thinking.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I am old enough to remember when FSU was an independent, just like us.

Then they joined a conference.

Now, just like us, they have a bunch of fans clamoring to get out of their conference.

Ironically, that would be the same conference many of our members have clamored for us to switch to for years.

A few months back, I remarked that a move by FSU was likely imminent. Sooner than this, I thought.

Lots of folks think the contract buyout is too large.

I am not hearing anybody at FSU saying that, tho.

So, imminent it remains.
There's no sane person saying Penn State needs to get out of the Big Ten. Ever.

There is still the “minor matter” of the ACC Grant of Rights written agreement, which states that a member transfers its media rights "irrevocably and exclusively” until the GOR expires in 2036. Prior to 2036 a departing school would be required to transfer all of its revenue from its new conference over to the ACC. The GOR is absolute and no loophole has been found. It is literally impossible for any school to absorb those financial losses. The article is wishful thinking.
Unless the ACC collapses. Big XII should go hard after Miami NC State Duke Virginia VTU Louisville etc to create major league knowing it essentially becomes the second level and an top-tier basketball conference

You could be right about that.

Every time this idea has been raised, nobody has offered an avenue for escaping the ACC contract.

Still, where there's a will (and the resources to back it up), there may be a way.

You could be right about that.

Every time this idea has been raised, nobody has offered an avenue for escaping the ACC contract.

Still, where there's a will (and the resources to back it up), there may be a way.

Texas and Oklahoma managed to break one year of a GOR… by paying tens of millions of dollars to buy back those rights. It would be cost prohibitive to reacquire over a decade’s worth of GOR.

You’re right. Not any more. But prior to the last round of realignment, it was everywhere. Not my preference mind you…
I understand. I'm not saying it was you. Just saying the people that wanted to go to the ACC were just being emotional. It never made sense.

Reactions: gamblepsu
Would be cool but also we can't just have a conference of all top schools, need some filler like UVA, Ga Tech, California, some teams along those lines, North Carolina after Mack Brown, etc.

The Big Ten has plenty of ‘filler’ already. It’s mostly filler.

Outside of Michigan, OSU, and PSU the conference is just flippin’ horrible. It would make zero sense to add more of that with Georgia Tech, Virginia, Cal, or Stanford.

Oregon, Washington, and USC are solid additions that help.

UCLA simply has had incompetent people in charge of their athletics department for decades. Yeah they’re good in Olympic sports but no one watches them and they lose lots of money. UCLA just abandoned all effort with regard to football.

Last edited:

I’d go FSU and Miami.

I know Miami has had a thready pulse in football recently but they have been great in the past. It would preserve the FSU vs Miami rivalry which is one of the all time greats. It would also solidify the conference in Florida cutting into the SEC with recruiting and exposure throughout the heavily populated state (including Miami metro region). Not to mention there are a ton of Big Ten alumni/ snowbirds down there.

Reactions: PSUCYCLING
I’d love to see FSU and Miami come in but no go without AAU credentials.

Last edited:
The Big Ten has plenty of ‘filler’ already. It’s mostly filler.

Outside of Michigan, OSU, and PSU the conference is just flippin’ horrible. It would make zero sense to add more of that with Georgia Tech, Virginia, Cal, or Stanford.

Oregon, Washington, and USC are solid additions that help.

UCLA simply has had incompetent people in charge of their athletics department for decades. Yeah they’re good in Olympic sports but no one watches them and they lose lots of money. UCLA just abandoned all effort with regard to football.
6 teams that can be elite with the hope of adding ND at some point. Wisconsin Michigan State and UCLA all have potential. They aren't looking to add more elite teams. Same reason the SEC doesn't want FSU or Clemson. Georgia Bama Texas Oklahoma LSU with schools capable of also being great means they need more filler teams. Obviously we have more Vanderbilt types schools than they do but you can't overstack a conference either.

They don't have to be "good at football" to add value. In fact, conferences don't want all elite teams. The SEC also allegedly wants UNC and UVa.
No, it’s not about adding teams in certain states to force cable system to add the Big 10 network. That model tied to cable is dead. It’s about broadcast fees conferences can demand based on ratings. Nobody cares about UVA or even VA Tech. FSU and Clemson draw ratings and they are extremely more valuable.

Reactions: PSUCYCLING and dmaw
No, it’s not about adding teams in certain states to force cable system to add the Big 10 network. That model tied to cable is dead. It’s about broadcast fees conferences can demand based on ratings. Nobody cares about UVA or even VA Tech. FSU and Clemson draw ratings and they are extremely more valuable.
Then why is the SEC targeting UNC and UVa?
Same reason we would.
Clemson doesn't have much value. This is comparable to people thinking Boise State should have been added to a major conference when they were winning.

I wish UVA and VT were bigger draws as they seem to be good fits for our conference and nice road trips for PSU fans. Unfortunately like you said FSU and Clemson are the only ACC schools that produce B1G level tv viewership with UNC being marginal.

Reactions: PSUCYCLING
The B1G wants Florida and the gators won’t let the SEC take MIA or FSU in… the B1G wants Texas, too. A&M none too happy about UT coming in… watch that situation.

I wish UVA and VT were bigger draws as they seem to be good fits for our conference and nice road trips for PSU fans. Unfortunately like you said FSU and Clemson are the only ACC schools that produce B1G level tv viewership with UNC being marginal.
nobody pays attention to uva football even in Virginia. VT is a bigger draw but it's still not the same thing as most current b1g schools, not the same level of interest

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT