ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

Matt Rhule should come back to resurrect PSU Football, be even he realizes there are better professional opportunities.

PSU, as an institution, has undeniably regressed over the past 30 years. My beloved Alma Mater isn't even remotely the same institution it was under the leadership of Eric Walker, John Oswald or Bryce Jordan. The downfall of PSU began with the appointment of Joab Thomas.
Get off of my lawn!

If you go to any message board where a coach (who is wanted at that location) is rumored to be a candidate or looking at another job ...

There are always posts from the uninformed that say "but the wife and kids love it here". Football, basketball - it doesn't matter - there has never been a coach's wife who didn't absolutely love her current town - until her husband takes the other job!

I have said it before - I sure hope CJF stays here for the next 20 years. I do not believe PSU can do any better than him and if he leaves, there will be a huge step backwards. The 2020 class will disappear and the portal will be a nightmare of talent leaving. It will be a multi year rebuild.

There are those on this board that confuse their emotional attachment as a fan to PSU football with the job/career viewpoint of a coach. We are fans (fanatical) and are emotionally tied into the program as a hobby. For the coaches, it is a job and a career.

I have been in the business world for more than 30 years. I have seen people leave jobs for more money, for promotions, for a change of scenery, to get away from a boss, for lateral moves, for geographic moves, for a new challenge. etc. Sometimes those decisions look like they make sense, sometimes they don't.

I am sure CJF is emotionally tied into the PSU job, but in a different emotion than the emotions we have as fans. It his his job/career and although I would be very disappointed if he left, I would not be shocked. There are some on this board who just can't comprehend that he would leave as they have looked at these other options through their eyes - not his. They are the ones that will be shocked if he leaves.
I agree with this in the abstract, but let's look at a few of your reasons for a move:

1) to get away from a boss
I don't think there is any evidence that Sandy and James don't get along. Some ADs and coaches have very strained relationships but they seem to be fine.

2) For a new challenge.
He hasn't finished the old challenge (winning a NC) yet.

3) For a change of scenery
This would imply that he is somehow sick of PSU. After 4 years. Seems unlikely.

4) For a promotion
Not possible

5) For more money.
I mean I guess FSU (or USC) could come in with a $$ amount that PSU couldn't match (although it seems unlikely). But if the difference is let's say $1 million per year, while that is a huge amount of money to most people on this board, the difference between $5 million (what he makes now) and six million isn't (by itself) enough to make a move.

6) For geographic reasons
He has no ties (that I am aware of) to Florida or southern CA. He is from PA. He went to high school and college in PA. He's previously coached in PA.

I agree with this in the abstract, but let's look at a few of your reasons for a move:

I don't think there is any evidence that Sandy and James don't get along. Some ADs and coaches have very strained relationships but they seem to be fine.

2) For a new challenge.

4) For a promotion
Not possible

5) For more money.
I mean I guess FSU (or USC) could come in with a $$ amount that PSU couldn't match (although it seems unlikely). But if the difference is let's say $1 million per year, while that is a huge amount of money to most people on this board, the difference between $5 million (what he makes now) and six million isn't (by itself) enough to make a move.

He has no ties (that I am aware of) to Florida or southern CA. He is from PA. He went to high school and college in PA. He's previously coached in PA.

add to this is FSU a "destination job"? apparently not as the last coach quit to go to Texas A&M, unless you think that TAM is now a destination job. FSU does not have half the football tradition of Penn State.

i also agree with the poster who said that a coach looking around in stealth while employed to coach a team is no different than a player looking around in stealth while on the team. same level of loyalty = 0

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ok I don't have the link but about 15 minutes ago this just came on my phone, from Saturday Tradition, "Mutual interest between Franklin and FSU", apparently James's agent has reached out to Florida State.
edp6jb4z0n203tihx9xrort3evuqe77

2) For a new challenge.

4) For a promotion
Not possible

5) For more money.

He has a beach house in Ft Walton beach, fairly near Tallahassee, FWIW

Just read an article about the potential of Franklin going to FSU in the Star Ledger.

I’d certainly expect the North Jersey press to have their finger on the pulse of this one.
Hilarious, yeah, they dont even have a single guess outside of schiano who could be considered for their state school, but they are on the front lines of the FSU job search. SmH

All these outlets are recycling the "mutual interest" news 247 FSU broke on Tuesday. They have since reported (Wednesday night) that FSU has missed on Franklin.

Funny that the second part of that report is not being published.

All these outlets are recycling the "mutual interest" news 247 FSU broke on Tuesday. They have since reported (Wednesday night) that FSU has missed on Franklin.

Funny that the second part of that report is not being published.

Sounds about right to me. I cannot see why on earth he'd want to inherit a mess in an ultra-competitive state.

Now if USC really wants him, he is out IMO.

Sounds about right to me. I cannot see why on earth he'd want to inherit a mess in an ultra-competitive state.

Now if USC really wants him, he is out IMO.

The trending word is that USC is keeping Helton. Have to assume that for some reason there is not mutual interest between USC and Meyer. As mentioned above, the Star Ledger is passing along old news. Penn Live ran the same dated news yesterday. FSU has moved on to second tier candidates.

The trending word is that USC is keeping Helton. Have to assume that for some reason there is not mutual interest between USC and Meyer. As mentioned above, the Star Ledger is passing along old news. Penn Live ran the same dated news yesterday. FSU has moved on to second tier candidates.

If that is true then I think Meyer is done with coaching.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
All these reports about USC retaining Helton seem a little too premature to me. USC's season is not technically over until after the Utah game this weekend. If Utah loses, USC is still expected to play in the PAC championship game. Why fire Helton now if there's a chance you need a coach for the championship game? We'll see what happens Monday if Utah wins this weekend.

An FBI file obtained by The Washington Times revealed a string of threatening letters sent to the former head coach and his staff three decades ago make no mention of Jerry Sandusky or his crimes against children.

According to the report by Nathan Fenno (Link: https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/29/joe-paterno-fbi-file-reveals-threats-gambling-theo/),

the 868 page file contains the details of several anonymous letters were sent to Paterno and his staff. One FBI file dated Dec. 16, 1977 noted the letters were "very upsetting to Coach Paterno."

Fanno wrote that 44 pages of the file were not released, citing "exemptions concerning unwarranted invasion of personal privacy and revealing a confidential source."

In 1977, four letters were sent to a female staffer that said her life "was in Paterno's hands," and was postmarked from Pittsburgh, the Times reported.

Another letter, sent to an assistant coach, said: 'I could do away with Paterno with no trouble. But I want to make him suffer. I want it to be on his conscious (sic) that he was responsible for a tragic accident to you."

The Times reported that Paterno did not take the offered local police protection, according to the file, and, "at one point, urged authorities to let him sit down with the person behind the letters if he was apprehended and help him."

"The letters signed 'A Bitter Father" reference dissatisfaction over the treatment of a former Penn State player who left the university after two years. The FBI suspected gambling connections in the letters, according to the files, but interviewed one suspect who blamed his wife's death and son's alcoholism on Paterno," the Times reported.

Paterno died from complications from lung cancer on Jan. 22. He was 85.
Thanks. Never knew about this. That's something for Joe to have to carry around and be wary of.

Why so much attention on James?

Is Penn State coach James Franklin underappreciated? - Sports - The Intelligencer

By Mark Wogenrich The Morning Call
Posted Nov 27, 2019 at 4:24 PM

Now in his sixth year with the Nittany Lions, the Neshaminy graduate has been quite successful, yet draws criticism.

On his radio show earlier this season, Penn State coach James Franklin described the competing emotional states of his Sundays.

“My favorite thing about being coach at Penn State is the 107,000 fans after a win,” he said. “My least favorite thing is the 600,000 fans after a loss.”

Penn State approaches Saturday’s home finale against Rutgers with a milestone well in reach. With a victory, the Lions will complete their third 10-win regular season in four years.

That would give Penn State 39 regular-season wins from 2016-19, its best four-year stretch since the 12-game season began in 2016. Further, it would mark Penn State’s best four-year run since 1971-74, when the team won 41 games.

Penn State defense faces a big challenge
November 21, 2019
But for some, there’s still a measure of disappointment. In that context, it’s fair to ask: Is Franklin underappreciated at Penn State?

“I think he’s really underappreciated and really doesn’t get enough credit for everything he does for this university,” Penn State senior punter Blake Gillikin said.

This has been a six-year discussion regarding Franklin and Penn State, one that began in 2014 when the coach, after a win over Indiana, solicited fan advice about his offense.

“I know everybody has the answers,” Franklin said. “If you do, please email them and specifically what they are and how they work.”

He has discussed the outsized expectations on numerous occasions. The coach occasionally brings up hearing chants of “Fire Franklin!” at Beaver Stadium during the 2016 game against Minnesota. After his team’s 34-27 win over Indiana two weeks ago, Franklin delivered a pointed thank you to the “positive, loyal” fans at Beaver Stadium, a reference to the scattered boos heard that day.

On Tuesday, Franklin, a Neshaminy High graduate, offered an introspective look at how he, at age 47, deals with external criticism. He was candid in a way that might generate more criticism.

“I’m not one of these guys that can tell you that I don’t care what other people think. I do,” Franklin said. “I care deeply what other people think. But I am probably getting to a point where I’m pretty confident. If you look at what we’ve done since we’ve been here, there’s a lot to be proud of, and everybody should feel that way.”

In the second third of a six-year contract he signed in 2017, Franklin should be in line for an extension, as his history suggests.

Franklin is one of just five current FBS coaches to qualify for a bowl in his first nine seasons. He has had eight consecutive winning seasons, including all six in State College.

Penn State is one of six teams (with Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Washington) to rank in the top 12 of the final College Football Playoff rankings the past three seasons. And with a win Saturday, the Lions will secure their third undefeated home season in four years. That would be a first for Penn State in the Big Ten era.

This season, Penn State’s two losses are on the road to teams with a combined record of 21-1. Recently, ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit pronounced that “Penn State’s brand is back,” attributing much of that to Franklin.

For Franklin, the external pressures are many. His executive assistant filters his emails and letters, funneling the “kind ones” to his field of vision. After the loss to Minnesota, Franklin called his correspondence “interesting” and “colorful,” which also can be said for the messages the fly around (literally) him on gamedays.

At every Penn State home game, and at least two road games, a banner plane has circled the stadium. The messages were addressed either to Penn State or President Eric Barron and referenced Joe Paterno.

At the season opener against Idaho, the banner read, “President Barron: After 61 years, Joe Paterno deserved better than this!!” And at Ohio State on Saturday, the banner read, “Penn State why are you waiting? Honor Joe Paterno!!”

“There’s a fine line, because I don’t want to lose that aspect of my personality, because that’s what allows me to connect so much with the community and the kids,” Franklin said after the loss to Minnesota. “But that also leaves you open to wounds and scars. So it hurts more.”

Franklin’s name continues to be invoked for the vacant Florida State job and the still-filled USC position. It will continue as other vacancies open.

His buyout, should he leave for another coaching position, would be just $1 million this year. An extension would address that, along with some other long-term needs Franklin seeks to build a consistent contender.

“I don’t want my answers to ever come off like I’m satisfied, because, I can guarantee you, I am not,” Franklin said. ”... But I do think there comes a point where you look at the big picture and say, ‘Wow, there’s a lot to be proud of.’

″... And I think 96, 97 percent of our fan base feels the same way.”

Reactions: DeacsnNits
Cmon, RU31! We all know he’s going to Rutgers.
James Franklin is a great coach and a terrific recruiter who has proven track record of winning. I would love to see him stay and lead Penn State towards another National Championship. With the exception of more money, I just can’t see the attraction to Florida State. I think we can all agree that he would have a bit more latitude and authority to bring in kids that would otherwise not make the cut at Penn State. I have to believe Sandy Barbour would be open and willing to discuss money and recruiting. I know you’re kidding about Rutgers because we both know that coaching gig is earmarked for some co-assistant offensive/defensive coordinator.

Reactions: DeacsnNits
If that is true then I think Meyer is done with coaching.
Living here in Ahiya, it was explained like this to me.
USC prez and suburban never struck up a relationship. She/USC board has three AD candidates and two are familiar with suburban - possibly have worked with him.
The new AD is NOT of the two.
Speculation therefore is, suburban is not the first choice for USC.
One of the suckeye lurkers can shed some light on this.
OL

Living here in Ahiya, it was explained like this to me.
USC prez and suburban never struck up a relationship. She/USC board has three AD candidates and two are familiar with suburban - possibly have worked with him.
The new AD is NOT of the two.
Speculation therefore is, suburban is not the first choice for USC.
One of the suckeye lurkers can shed some light on this.
OL

Well. I see that he was AD at Colorado right after the Gary Barnett debacle. Maybe he has cold feet over coaches who push the envelope. (I think Urban is one.)

Coincidentally, his tenure also coincided with hiring Dan Hawkins and running CU football into the ground.

What is USC thinking?

Reactions: OhioLion
If Franklin heads to fsu, maybe he then will take the Penn State job when he leaves it open.

Franklin to Penn State.

:confused:

Reactions: marshall23
Well. I see that he was AD at Colorado right after the Gary Barnett debacle. Maybe he has cold feet over coaches who push the envelope. (I think Urban is one.)

Coincidentally, his tenure also coincided with hiring Dan Hawkins and running CU football into the ground.

What is USC thinking?
Forgot to add. Talk is also that if talk is true that Kelly would leave ND for FSU, then suburban returns to his roots and ND.

OL

If Franklin leaves we go back to 7-5

Not with the portal and the soon to be pay-for-play changes coming up. If we get a good pitchman - I'm thinking Billy Mays level - and some deep pocketed boosters, we can have the pick of the litter!!

Not with the portal and the soon to be pay-for-play changes coming up. If we get a good pitchman - I'm thinking Billy Mays level - and some deep pocketed boosters, we can have the pick of the litter!!

There are definitely some schools that would have deeper pockets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT