ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

I have no inside info but given that in recent weeks Franklin has made comments about our fans to the media that might be what he's talking about. I can't believe the amount of heat Franklin seems to get from our fans while the team is sitting at 9-1, and is in the midst of a fantastic 3-4 year run. I can't help but think that if it were someone from the Paterno coaching tree the fans would back off a bit, but maybe I'm reading into things too much. Some people still haven't moved on. Also the situations with Sutherland and Clifford getting nasty and completely unacceptable crap from some so-called "fans" might also be weighing on him. Coaches need to have thick skin though, and not worry about fan reactions. Franklin typically is great with the media but him bringing up this stuff recently is a possible sign that he's getting tired of it. I can't say that I blame him, I am tired of hearing it too.
As one of the other posters said, with all the crazies out there, along with all the social media, it could very well have been someone who isn't even a Penn State fan who threatened Clifford.

They should just give it to that assistant who is currently the interim and pay bigger bucks for coordinators. That method has worked for OSU, OU, and LSU over the past couple of years?

none of those coordinators inherited dumpster fires or anything close to it. Rutgers should just make nunzio the hc while we’re at it cuz it worked at osu.

And actually asking kids what their favorite Thanksgiving foods are so it feels like home.

I don't see this noise for Clemson (Dabo and even his assistants are very successful and no rumors), Bama (Saban), UGA (Kirby), LSU (Ed), tOSU (Urban in the past or now the sudden star Ryan Day). If we are approaching Elite there is no where to move to in CFB that a step up.

Reactions: Kiber
I don't see this noise for Clemson (Dabo and even his assistants are very successful and no rumors), Bama (Saban), UGA (Kirby), LSU (Ed), tOSU (Urban in the past or now the sudden star Ryan Day). If we are approaching Elite there is no where to move to in CFB that a step up.

There are a lot of things you don't see.

Reactions: YorkLion
As one of the other posters said, with all the crazies out there, along with all the social media, it could very well have been someone who isn't even a Penn State fan who threatened Clifford.
Even Minnesota fans have said it was Minnesota fans because Clifford lead a taunting “we gonna F$&@ the boat” chant pregame.

Biggest game of the year and Franklin’s agent is throwing out a great distractor for the game. Ugh!
??!! The Lions are playing Rutgers, right? I would readily concede it becomes a big game if the Lions manage to lose, but the chances of that happening are so infitesimal that it is not even worth discussing.

And that wouldn’t happen if other programs didn’t want Franklin, so it’s actually a good thing.

So you think the facilities at UGA, OU, LSU .... are just perfect and guys like Smart, Riley & Orgeron feel like they are Coaching in the Utopia of college football? Why aren't these guys employing the same tactic?

Agreed re: his reacting to outside nonsense, it’s as if he’s building a story that it’s “not for him” and needs “corroborating facts.”

Well, I've heard Franklin state that he hates these rumors because it takes time for him and the staff to go back and make extra calls to all the verbal commits and all the recruits to assure them that the stories are rumor and he is staying. Franklin has stated this himself. So, does it make more sense to react to the non-sense by having to make 20-50 calls to players. recruits, commits, families.... Or, just have a 5 minute PC and kill all the rumors in 5 minutes ?? Or, how about taping out a 30 second / 180 character tweet.

Reactions: ralphster
So you think the facilities at UGA, OU, LSU .... are just perfect and guys like Smart, Riley & Orgeron feel like they are Coaching in the Utopia of college football? Why aren't these guys employing the same tactic?
You may want to google these coaches and their history.

Well, I've heard Franklin state that he hates these rumors because it takes time for him and the staff to go back and make extra calls to all the verbal commits and all the recruits to assure them that the stories are rumor and he is staying. Franklin has stated this himself. So, does it make more sense to react to the non-sense by having to make 20-50 calls to players. recruits, commits, families.... Or, just have a 5 minute PC and kill all the rumors in 5 minutes ?? Or, how about taping out a 30 second / 180 character tweet.
That would work...because no coach has ever sworn he was "staying" and then left.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Per Football Scoop, Franklin removed his name from the search.

I don't doubt you, but is there a link?

That would be good news, and would probably also suggest that Franklin has gotten from Sandy and the university what he wanted. Hopefully it's announced soon, because I don't imagine the rumors are helping our case with the Theo Johnsons of the world.

Or, it means that he's working out a deal with USC :)

I don't doubt you, but is there a link?

That would be good news, and would probably also suggest that Franklin has gotten from Sandy and the university what he wanted. Hopefully it's announced soon, because I don't imagine the rumors are helping our case with the Theo Johnsons of the world.

Or, it means that he's working out a deal with USC :)

Per article, FSU striking out on big names, including Franklin. USC may be sticking with Helton.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ell-Brian-kelly-James-Franklin-USC-138875496/

Reactions: tlbakernc
From the article:

Of course, the timing of Florida State’s impending hire is irrelevant as long as the school (and the search firm DHR International) lands the right coach, and sources told FootballScoop that the Seminoles have reached out to, and thus far come up empty, on all the big names you’d expect: James Franklin, Matt Campbell, the brothers Stoops, Matt Rhule.

Article did say that FSU wants to have their new coach hired by the end of this month.

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-at-florida-state/

Also being reported on Noles/PSU 247 sites.

*Apologies if that link needs a copy/paste, typing on mobile.
Maybe you provided a wrong link, but there is not a single word in that article about "Franklin removing his name from the search". So, do you really have a link to an article that says so, or was that simply your interpretation? Because if that is your interpretation from your linked article, you are way off the mark.

Last edited:
Yeah, that article merely restates what I posted last night — that FSU sources believe they whiffed on their top targets to include CJF. But nothing about CJF withdrawing his name.

Granted, I don’t have 247 premium access, so no telling what is being said there.

I think the silent commitment Franklin was talking about in beginning of month is AD giving him more money for assistants and facilities.

If you don’t think there’s a difference between those places and PSU in terms of attitude about football, I don’t know what to tell you. PSU got very spoiled over the years in terms of coaching and they really don’t know how to handle keeping a coach happy.

you missed the whole saban to Texas thing a few years back?

Let this sink in. The only people that want Franklin gone are a few resident psychopaths here and the fans of the teams we play. What does that tell you.

Reactions: bison13
Anybody else concerned that, just the way we're concerned and discussing the FSU possibility, the players are too? How could they be focused on the game and this too? Certainly a huge distraction.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody in the Den.

Anybody else concerned that, just the way we're concerned and discussing the FSU possibility, the players are too? How could they be focused on the game and this too? Certainly a huge distraction.
No, not concerned. I’m sure they are aware Franklin is not leaving even if the fans continue to react to every tweet and message board post by FSU fans

Maybe the players know more than we do.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Maybe the players know more than we do.
I was thinking of that. They should know more than us. And he'd have to address it to some extent with them. But whatever he told the players, I would expect something to leak out. That's puzzling.

I have no idea why anyone is worried. This is a very good job. If he chooses to leave? Matt Rhule would jump here in a heartbeat. I can't think of any other school in a more enviable position than us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT