ADVERTISEMENT

Ferrari commits to Iowa

I th
A few thoughts:

1) the hat thing was great
2) as of right now, Iowa has two top 5 recruits from the class of 2023 and a top 5 (some say #1) from class of 2024
3) Iowa won a national championship just 3 years ago
4) I’m not going to dismiss their chances to challenge PSU in the coming years
i think ohio st is the team that’s gonna push us a little more in the coming years….they are young but their stable is full

I wasn’t aware that Cael ever recruited the kid, so the hat dance was just for show. But, his words say much more about the entire family than his silly gestures ever could. This is a family with a martyr complex that needs to have a villain to blame for their condition. Same cloth as TNT. When the bad guys call you their #1 enemy, you must be doing something right.

Says that he can't wait to dominate Penn State...

This was a great move by Iowa. It has created a positive buzz in their fan base. (if the tables were turned, we'd all be excited as they are, and I actually thought his hat show was cute).
But let's see what happens when he trots out onto the mat against C.S., Truax or A.B. next season. Then, lets see what happens when he toes the line the following years with Sealey et al.
Dont get me wrong, I think this kid has amazing talent and could light it up early, but lets see what happens when the big spot lights come on and he's against one of PSU's finest.

This was a great move by Iowa. It has created a positive buzz in their fan base. (if the tables were turned, we'd all be excited as they are, and I actually thought his hat show was cute).
But let's see what happens when he trots out onto the mat against C.S., Truax or A.B. next season. Then, lets see what happens when he toes the line the following years with Sealey et al.
Dont get me wrong, I think this kid has amazing talent and could light it up early, but lets see what happens when the big spot lights come on and he's against one of PSU's finest.
He's a 2024 recruit and a high school senior next year.

Absolutely is necessary to win a national championship on an individual level. I’m not sure how you could think otherwise.
"Attitude" is a stupid word to use. More specifically, there is a pretty massive difference between being self-confident and being a jerk.

I'm embarrassed for you Iowa people. You should know better. Your state produced John Wayne, the paragon of a self-confident but humble man. I'd say the same for the great Dan Gable. Now the state's premier wrestling program (for now) has got the Ferrari's.

We usually see eye to eye on most things, but good lord is that a stretch and unfair to Angelo. The fake hat commitment is a gag that's been around for decades. College football recruits do it all the time. Let the 18 year old be goofy.

Also not correct to say AJ's path started when he became a celebrity at OSU. He and Anthony got kicked out of 2 high schools for disciplinary reasons. They were rotten eggs before they were famous.

Angelo has zero public disciplinary issues. Could he be an issue like his brothers? Sure, that family is insane. Not fair to convict him yet though.

You know who is consistently disrespectful on social media? Carter Starocci. Doesn't mean he's a troublemaker.
The fake commitment works much better when the team you are trying to diss is in your final announced top 3 and would actually accept you if you wanted to go there. When they wouldn't touch you or your family with a 10 foot pole it is just a pathetic "look at me" moment. Iowa deserves the Ferrari family. The only fans happier than Iowa fans after this announcement are Penn State and Iowa State fans.

"Attitude" is a stupid word to use. More specifically, there is a pretty massive difference between being self-confident and being a jerk.

I'm embarrassed for you Iowa people. You should know better. Your state produced John Wayne, the paragon of a self-confident but humble man. I'd say the same for the great Dan Gable. Now the state's premier wrestling program (for now) has got the Ferrari's.
Was he mean or something? Did the same stunt I see 100 times a year by football recruits. Your fan base may just be a bit soft.

A few thoughts:

2) as of right now, Iowa has two top 5 recruits from the class of 2023 and a top 5 (some say #1) from class of 2024
I’m not afraid to say it…they’re dismissed.

Was he mean or something? Did the same stunt I see 100 times a year by football recruits. Your fan base may just be a bit soft.
I've said before here that I have had some friends who are lifelong Hawk fans, but if you're in the position of defending "attitude," man, have you got some problems out there.

1) Mean? No, he was insecure. That hat stunt, the posturing, all of that is the sign of an insecure wrestler.
2) Not every college football kid petulantly throws a college's hat away so that's just a total fabrication on your part.
3) As long as Penn State continues to recruit good kids, and basically continues to be Penn State, I can say this: Penn State wrestling, unlike Iowa right now, will NEVER be "soft." Enjoy watching our taillights stay well ahead of you.

A few thoughts:

I'm not "offended" by throwing our hat, because I don't want this little tool or his clan anywhere near Penn State, unless it's to get pinned on our mat. But it is something you would do when you're insecure and/or a jerk.

Watching Iowa fans defend these cartoonish Ferrari's is great. Like watching someone defend the villain Biff from Back to the Future.

Reactions: Ski and SUPERTODD
I'm not "offended" by throwing our hat, because I don't want this little tool or his clan anywhere near Penn State, unless it's to get pinned on our mat. But it is something you would do when you're insecure and/or a jerk.

Watching Iowa fans defend these cartoonish Ferrari's is great. Like watching someone defend the villain Biff from Back to the Future.
Actually, it's smart self-marketing in the NIL era. Some sucker will pony up for him, maybe even discount his rent.

Did you all listen to this interview?! He’s already saying that him and his brother are leaders at Iowa and that they are bringing in a different energy which will change the culture. He thinks they can win 4 team titles with him there. Confidence is good but reality needs to filter in a bit as well. If him and his brother are the leaders of the Iowa team I think they are in bigger trouble than I thought

Great 80’s reference…but they remind me more of these guys.

Reactions: ChinWhip
I've said before here that I have had some friends who are lifelong Hawk fans, but if you're in the position of defending "attitude," man, have you got some problems out there.

1) Mean? No, he was insecure. That hat stunt, the posturing, all of that is the sign of an insecure wrestler.
2) Not every college football kid petulantly throws a college's hat away so that's just a total fabrication on your part.
3) As long as Penn State continues to recruit good kids, and basically continues to be Penn State, I can say this: Penn State wrestling, unlike Iowa right now, will NEVER be "soft." Enjoy watching our taillights stay well ahead of you.

I'm not sure what it had to do with insecurity. To me, he looked like a kid playing to the crowd. It's the type of thing that Iowa fans would love (as we have already seen from a couple Hawk posters). Anyway, it will just make it that much more fun when our guy beats him.

Did you all listen to this interview?! He’s already saying that him and his brother are leaders at Iowa and that they are bringing in a different energy which will change the culture. He thinks they can win 4 team titles with him there. Confidence is good but reality needs to filter in a bit as well. If him and his brother are the leaders of the Iowa team I think they are in bigger trouble than I thought
Next up: Ron Powlus wins 4 Heisman's at ND just like Beano Cook says

I'm not sure what it had to do with insecurity. To me, he looked like a kid playing to the crowd. It's the type of thing that Iowa fans would love (as we have already seen from a couple Hawk posters). Anyway, it will just make it that much more fun when our guy beats him.
Insecurity in the sense of he knows he isn't ever going to be wrestling for the best program.

However, just being a complete meathead is probably a better explanation now that I think about it. Plenty of meatheads are not insecure but just straight up dumb.

Those guys grew up and one is a great coach now.
Indeed….Might take 30 years, but there’s still hope for the Ferrari clan!

However, they will have to suffer some humbling losses in their college careers in order for that growth to occur. PSU wrestlers will be more than happy to help them out!

Reactions: nitlion6
Insecurity in the sense of he knows he isn't ever going to be wrestling for the best program.

However, just being a complete meathead is probably a better explanation now that I think about it. Plenty of meatheads are not insecure but just straight up dumb.
Insecurity requires at least a hint of self-awareness.

Ferraris as Iowa culture leaders is more than we could've ever hoped for.

Poor Mike Kemerer ...

e658e6bc-018d-4d31-9c1f-593c25b994eb_text.gif

I think we may have fueled the fire for them on this forum. Regardless who cares. Some recruits do well others don't. Who knows and who cares. We'll see.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
I think there is little chance of that with two of them in the program.

No chance with three of them there. Even if he doesn't wrestle again, word has it AJ will not be far away.

I think that is the point of all of the caution & criticism. The older two have a track record dating back to three highschools, one collegiate program, shooting up a house, a car crash, horribly inappropriate messaging, potential criminal activity, massive egos, fights, ....

Angelo being the youngest has a pretty clean slate to date. Is it because he is younger, maybe. Is it because he is actually different and has his shit together, maybe.

In either case IMO Iowa would be best served by Angelo on the team alone. 2-3 will take over the culture of that squad.
All Iowa wrestling needs right now is more guys with bad trigger discipline. It was just recently one of their AAs got shot by an idiotic teammate - I mean, that is ****ing bizarre, but somehow just got forgotten.

Watching AJ shoot his AR blindly into a field at night and play with it in his dorm room had all but the weirdest gun fetishists shaking their heads. Then there’s the idiotic middle brother with his gun play.

The goobers out there will eat that shit up, but something could go terribly wrong.

The hat toss is meaningless. Probably just another brilliant PR idea from Terry.

Winning on the mat will be what matters.

Well, that and keeping his brothers’ genitalia (and products therefrom) off of social media.

Brands knows for a fact that somebody is paying wrestling fans to laugh at the hawks.
We should be very concerned about this.
Like when he emphasized, “. . . and now we know” in reference to negative recruiting circa 2017.

So much has changed since then with that knowledge.

Knowing is half the battle. Unfortunately, there remains a whole other half to be discovered and acted upon . . . 6 years and a contract extension later.

Reactions: danoftw
Exactly. I don't think the two brothers going to separate schools was ever a serious possibility.

I also don't think AJ's charges will go to trial. He could be in Black and Yellow by New years if not Thanksgiving.

Think about this. AJ clears his hurdles with charges dropped or even a slap on the wrist plea bargain. He comes to Brands and says he wants to wrestle. Maybe a couple month suspension is in play. Do you see any chance in hell Brands says no to AJ? Not with the rest of the family staring him down.

I see only 2 possibilities keeping AJ off that team.

1). AJ himself chooses to move on and eye MMA or Freestyle.
2). It goes to trial and he is found guilty of a significant offense.

I don't put a lot of weight in #2.
AJ’s case goes to trial September 26th. I don’t see any coach touching him unless he gets a favorable verdict. Just my opinion but I think he’s done with college wrestling.

AJ’s case goes to trial September 26th. I don’t see any coach touching him unless he gets a favorable verdict. Just my opinion but I think he’s done with college wrestling.
I mean Iowa already committed to him. It's just not up to them yet without a resolution. They seem to think a positive resolution is coming, so who knows what's going on behind the scenes, maybe a payoff is coming, that's likely their best bet seeing how it's clear the DA isn't budging on a favorable plea (which would assume full cooperation of the victim right now)

Ferraris seem way more optimistic about the situation than is reality. Their sister thought it was a good plan to name drop and slut shame the victim. AJ is going on without a care in the world, some posters on HR implied charges were being dropped before the Ferraris requested trial. Maybe their lawyer is positive he can cross examine and destroy the victims credibility at trial.

Then assuming that all goes well, the school has to admit him, which is a separate process overall as the school will 100% consider the potential for a lawsuit if something similar happens at Iowa after they admitted him knowing he had previous charges. No matter how much Iowa loves wrestling, there are things much bigger than that. I believe Jaydin Eierman had issues getting in due to his Missouri credits (an Evan Wick) but Brands was able to get that resolved but still it shows how different the admission process is for athletics (and obviously there is leiniency to athletes). If the school doesn't want to take the risk (since he will be a student), I don't think Brands will change any minds here.

Then finally, AJ's instagram is basically all MMA already. He's going to put that career on hold 3 years to wrestle?

I mean Iowa already committed to him. It's just not up to them yet without a resolution. They seem to think a positive resolution is coming, so who knows what's going on behind the scenes, maybe a payoff is coming, that's likely their best bet seeing how it's clear the DA isn't budging on a favorable plea (which would assume full cooperation of the victim right now)

Ferraris seem way more optimistic about the situation than is reality. Their sister thought it was a good plan to name drop and slut shame the victim. AJ is going on without a care in the world, some posters on HR implied charges were being dropped before the Ferraris requested trial. Maybe their lawyer is positive he can cross examine and destroy the victims credibility at trial.

Then assuming that all goes well, the school has to admit him, which is a separate process overall as the school will 100% consider the potential for a lawsuit if something similar happens at Iowa after they admitted him knowing he had previous charges. No matter how much Iowa loves wrestling, there are things much bigger than that. I believe Jaydin Eierman had issues getting in due to his Missouri credits (an Evan Wick) but Brands was able to get that resolved but still it shows how different the admission process is for athletics (and obviously there is leiniency to athletes). If the school doesn't want to take the risk (since he will be a student), I don't think Brands will change any minds here.

Then finally, AJ's instagram is basically all MMA already. He's going to put that career on hold 3 years to wrestle?
It looks like there’s a criminal case vs the state as well as a civil vs the victim. Not sure how he could pay his way out of it.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT