ADVERTISEMENT

Ferrari commits to Iowa

I believe it will be either Zack Ryder and Josh Barr manning 174/184. Not sure who will go where.

Ryder is in the same class as Anthony and will be spending his senior year at NLWC/M2. He's very, very good.

Josh Barr will be a FR at Penn State this year. Less high on him; see a lot of Facundo's tendencies there. They were HS/club teammates and best friends, so that makes sense.
We've got to stop this "less high on Josh Barr" nonsense. The kid is a stud. Yes, he's had some difficulty pulling the trigger on offense against top talent recently, But we're now setting the "Barr" so high that anything less than perfection is disappointing. And while I'll save my defense of Alex for another day, I don't think that the coaching or that there's something in the water in Davison, Michigan that's hindering these guys on offense. It ain't easy, and they'll figure it out.

Absolutely is necessary to win a national championship on an individual level. I’m not sure how you could think otherwise.
“Necessary”
D2rzeh2X4AAJMDN.jpg

Anybody interested in talking about his wrestling ability? Or just the future crimes he hasn't committed yet?

Who does he match up with after Brooks is gone at 184? Looks like it will be Gabe Arnold at 174 for Iowa
I watched a few of his matches, good defense, gets to his undertook easy and has multiple attacks. He is sloppy on top, but can ride people. Plus he got off bottom. Good get for Iowa.

Reactions: WildTurk
We've got to stop this "less high on Josh Barr" nonsense. The kid is a stud. Yes, he's had some difficulty pulling the trigger on offense against top talent recently, But we're now setting the "Barr" so high that anything less than perfection is disappointing. And while I'll save my defense of Alex for another day, I don't think that the coaching or that there's something in the water in Davison, Michigan that's hindering these guys on offense. It ain't easy, and they'll figure it out.

I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that Zack Ryder is a more dynamic offensive wrestler. I also don't think it's unfair to point out that people (wrestlers, soccer players, chess players, etc.) are a product of their training/coaching environment. Brazilian soccer players play a very different looking game than, say, their German counterparts. Kasparov and Carlsen play(ed) a very different game of chess.

I think both Barr and Ryder can be very good; I just think that Ryder's more varied attacks and setups lend itself to an easier transition to the D1/B1G level.

Last edited:
I’ll be very very surprised if it goes to trial. I’m guessing the victim ends up with a nice lump sum of money. Instead of NIL money, Bob can pay off the victim.

Brands won’t say no, he’s desperate and already in bed with two of them. The school saying no is very possible though. We also have lots of time for more trouble to happen with the brothers. School hasn’t even started for them at Iowa, and we already have one of them showing his ass, literally. The ride has just begun, buckle up…

Maybe Bob can be the new AD.

Off subject, Angelo's instagram welcome has the entire Iowa team support, from Spencer to Marinelli to Woods, etc.

Anthony's not even close to as many. AJ, none courting him ever (though team might be instructed not to)

Though I did notice, someone commented they were disappointed in Angelo's decision, that kid was Anthony Knox. @El-Jefe said he wears Iowa stuff at school all the time? Did they just give it to him for free so he's like eh why not?

Reactions: NCHawk55
Arnold/Ferrari vs Barr/Ryder for the next 5 years should be fun! All 4 are top 10 overall in their respective classes with Arnold at #5 and Barr at #7 for 2023 and Ferrari at #1 with Ryder at #6 for the 2024 class.

I’m interested to see which weight each kid ends up at. On the Iowa side I think it has to be Arnold at 174 and Ferrari at 184. Arnold is way too short to be super effective at 184 in my opinion but he slots in perfect at 174. I don’t know how big Ferrari is now but it looks like he will need to put on some weight to be a solid 184 which shouldn’t be a problem considering his family and genes. These 2 kids really solidify the middle weights for Iowa. They just desperately need a 197 and if they are smart it’s not AJ.

The PSU side seems to be more open on where Ryder and Barr slot in the lineup. Barr definitely has the frame and length to be at 184 but he has weighed in lighter this year than I expected and seems like 174 is much more likely at least in the beginning. Ryder doesn’t have the length of Barr but he is super strong. Does anyone know what his walk around weight is? I think Barr wrestles at 174 this coming season which he redshirts but will still get his 5 matches or whatever it is. Longer term I think it’s probably best for PSU if Barr is at 184 and Ryder is at 174 but who knows if Ryder can hold that weight for any length of time. The other question is if Facundo moves up to 174 with either Haines or Mesenbrink coming up to 165. No matter how it shakes out I think PSU will be just fine

A few thoughts:

1) the hat thing was great
2) as of right now, Iowa has two top 5 recruits from the class of 2023 and a top 5 (some say #1) from class of 2024
3) Iowa won a national championship just 3 years ago
4) I’m not going to dismiss their chances to challenge PSU in the coming years

I get a “mob mentality” vibe reading about the Ferrari men, as if they can’t function as individuals without blood-tie reinforcement. I’m either old, old school, or both. Family support is terrific, but a cloying need for parents or adult relatives to relocate to a child’s college town strikes me as parasitic. Visit often to attend a child’s events, sure. But hovering like an umbilical cloud over a young adult’s life only darkens it and stunts maturation (see Spencer). The great collegiate wrestlers of the past never needed NILs or an entourage to excel. If young Angelo is able to move away from his family’s shadow and build a life of self-made decisions he can be proud of, I’ll root for him, too . . against every non-PSU opponent.

A few thoughts:

2) as of right now, Iowa has two top 5 recruits from the class of 2023 and a top 5 (some say #1) from class of 2024
Drawing a blank on the second top 5 in 2023. Arnold and ?

Off subject, Angelo's instagram welcome has the entire Iowa team support, from Spencer to Marinelli to Woods, etc.

Anthony's not even close to as many. AJ, none courting him ever (though team might be instructed not to)

Though I did notice, someone commented they were disappointed in Angelo's decision, that kid was Anthony Knox. @El-Jefe said he wears Iowa stuff at school all the time? Did they just give it to him for free so he's like eh why not?
That wasn't me.

Exactly. I don't think the two brothers going to separate schools was ever a serious possibility.

I also don't think AJ's charges will go to trial. He could be in Black and Yellow by New years if not Thanksgiving.

Think about this. AJ clears his hurdles with charges dropped or even a slap on the wrist plea bargain. He comes to Brands and says he wants to wrestle. Maybe a couple month suspension is in play. Do you see any chance in hell Brands says no to AJ? Not with the rest of the family staring him down.

I see only 2 possibilities keeping AJ off that team.

1). AJ himself chooses to move on and eye MMA or Freestyle.
2). It goes to trial and he is found guilty of a significant offense.

I don't put a lot of weight in #2.
omg, you forgot the obvious 3rd possibility, He screws up yet again and away he goes, lol

A few thoughts:

Nothing beats a guy who verbaled to Florida and brought a baby alligator to unveil when he made his selection

Nothing beats a guy who verbaled to Florida and brought a baby alligator to unveil when he made his selection
I'm partial to Kerkvliet's ultimate troll move of going so far as actually signing with the Buckeyes and getting their hopes sky high before committing to Penn State and then whipping their HWT in OSU's arena in front of them. Savage!

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
... If young Angelo is able to move away from his family’s shadow and build a life of self-made decisions he can be proud of, ...
I think there is little chance of that with two of them in the program.

No chance with three of them there. Even if he doesn't wrestle again, word has it AJ will not be far away.

I think that is the point of all of the caution & criticism. The older two have a track record dating back to three highschools, one collegiate program, shooting up a house, a car crash, horribly inappropriate messaging, potential criminal activity, massive egos, fights, ....

Angelo being the youngest has a pretty clean slate to date. Is it because he is younger, maybe. Is it because he is actually different and has his shit together, maybe.

In either case IMO Iowa would be best served by Angelo on the team alone. 2-3 will take over the culture of that squad.

Reactions: Ski
I think there is little chance of that with two of them in the program.

No chance with three of them there. Even if he doesn't wrestle again, word has it AJ will not be far away.

I think that is the point of all of the caution & criticism. The older two have a track record dating back to three highschools, one collegiate program, shooting up a house, a car crash, horribly inappropriate messaging, potential criminal activity, massive egos, fights, ....

Angelo being the youngest has a pretty clean slate to date. Is it because he is younger, maybe. Is it because he is actually different and has his shit together, maybe.

In either case IMO Iowa would be best served by Angelo on the team alone. 2-3 will take over the culture of that squad.
They already have 2 lunatic brothers on that team.

A few thoughts:

#2. Iowa has one Top 5 recruit in 2023 I think? Kueter and who knows with him. He obviously intends to wrestle and maybe he chooses it full time (I have my doubts on that) but he hasn't started football practice yet even so it's easy to say right now. Gabe Arnold has a very high floor. Iffy on his ceiling but he will definitely be a 4x AA level guy. They lost Chittum and Jesuroga.

As for #4, that requires something that has under a 1 percent chance of happening IMO
1. AJ makes his way on the team and actually decides to wrestle for much longer. He already is dabbling in MMA mostly, is he going to wrestle out 3 years (while staying out of trouble) I can't imagine it would sit well with anyone if AJ is allowed to just be in the room whenever he feels like it while going to UFC Vegas especially with how hard Iowa practices notoriously are.
2. Anthony gets in, stays out of trouble and is as good as his brothers. Then yes, the brothers combined can be like 60-70 points a year, that's significant. That being said ....
3. Iowa's entire team stays healthy going forward, that doesn't seem like something they ever will fix. Haven't even learned their lesson with Drake Ayala.
4. PSU's incoming guys are all busts lol. Even after next year, we still retain Nagao, Bartlett, Van Ness, Haines, Kerkvliet which is already a huge handful of points (by 2024-2025, they're all potential preseason #1s and they're all constantly improving). I truthfully wouldn't rule out Carter going for #5 in Philadelphia also if his Olympic cycle isn't successful. Pyles already dropped hints it's something he thinks Carter will reconsider. So expecting Lilledahl, Mesenbrink, Sealey, Barr, Ryder, Kasak, both Gibsons, both Mirasolas to all be busts might be a bit of wishful thinking.

I can't believe Brands did this. This has potential to break up your regime and hurt the program. The risk vs. reward is far too great.
I am in disbelief. How is this not the end of Tom Brands being taken seriously by the parents of future recruits?

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk55
I’m being unfair here you’re right but I said it’s more a sign Angelo is slowly enjoying the attention of being a star, which is fine but it could lead to the wrong path. I’m not trying to imply he will commit a crime so that was definitely wrong on my end but I’m not sure he’s the angel some has made him out to be at this point. I thought he would be the drop an edit and thank you note to the schools who recruited him kind of kid. As of last night, he became a superstar at Iowa one year before he even starts school for that gag and he’ll be at the campus.

I truthfully think AJ was doing okay in HS. IIRC, Cael openly pursued him (he was invited to an OV and has multiple pictures with Cael there) so I can’t imagine there was a ton of red flags from HS. Maybe immaturity but not anything super bad. I think Anthony was the one getting them kicked out constantly. AJ’s recklessness started in college when he was a star IMO
Angelo will likely be Iowas next Spencer, in that he will be the upfront face of the program. And given the family history, it will likely crash and burn.

If Angelo wants to stay clean, he should probably demand his family move to Antarctica.

Could this offseason get any better?!?!?

this may be the end of the TnT tenure in IC. Thank goodness, its cheap to live in Iowa and TnT got huge bags in recent contract extensions.

Its only a matter of time until Lord Spencer takes out TnT and takes his rightful place at the top.
But we DON’T want TNT to ever leave! We all know Cael is in their head and is essentially their Daddy. They simply can’t compete with Cael with the exception being the year single season every ten years. Hope the NEVER leave!

Reactions: PSU621
Amazing how Penn State (heretofore known as "The Dynasty") is so "in the heads" of Iowa wrestlers and fans. Just like with Spencer, I'm sure the PSU rivalry hate thing will take precedence over actually becoming better wrestlers. Awesome!

Contrary to what's said on GIA, the mecca of wrestling moved eastward quite some time ago. I have no issues with Iowa recruits/wrestlers hating on the big dog.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT