ADVERTISEMENT

"DT will listen to Iowa's pitch"

It’s a board joke. There was a match thread a year or two ago and folks were posting what they were drinking and some lightweight posted he was drinking a White Claw. We made him turn in his man card.
pretender-miss-parker.gif

Also has a recruiting line straight to Pa. All of us with kids, who watched Kolat when we were kids idolized this guy. When Kolat walks into a house in Pa, people listen. Navy isn’t an easy school to recruit and Campbell just didn’t have the assets anyone else has. And he’s still been successful. Kolat also coaches with Mike Evans, who is from Pa, wrestled at Blaire Academy and for Iowa. So he has ties to 3 states. I think with a top former PSU and or Wisconsin (AWA) tie, they are perfect in Iowa. Just my opinion.
Agreed on Kolat's ability and that he could be a great fit at major programs.

But IMO it's not happening. He was perfectly happy at Campbell, and had gotten the school to invest in the program. Navy gave him proximity to his parents (4 hrs) and his in-laws (from metro Baltimore).

He seems to be much more motivated by family concerns and being a molder of men, than by national championships.

I always thought WV would try to hire Kolat.
Maybe they did try.
They probably at least tried to contact him. He was an assistant there in the early 2000s.

He probably wasn't ready to leave Campbell when Flynn got the WVU job.

He was hired at Campbell the same year Henson was hired at WVU. WVU probably contacted him then (if he had not already accepted Campbell). And Campbell is only an hour from Chapel Hill -- did he even move?

Reactions: RandyL
Don’t believe he did. I think he still lived near Chapel Hill while coaching at Campbell. Met him at the gym once. Nice guy.

They probably at least tried to contact him. He was an assistant there in the early 2000s.

He probably wasn't ready to leave Campbell when Flynn got the WVU job.

He was hired at Campbell the same year Henson was hired at WVU. WVU probably contacted him then (if he had not already accepted Campbell). And Campbell is only an hour from Chapel Hill -- did he even move?

I like TnT at Iowa. Until recently, (Caitlyn Clark), no one has been more iconic of Iowa than Dan Gable, TnT, and Hawkeye wrestling. They represent extreme toughness and a fanatical dedication to the sport and the university. One doesn’t have to be super athletic to thrive in that system. It’s more about hard work and mostly, being a fanatic. There are kids and adults nationwide that respect that and are fans of the program. If TnT go, the last really tough program will be gone. There’s got to be an elite program for wrestlers like Bull Marinelli, Brandon Sorensen, and Mike Evans.

I realize the the Iowa style isn’t keeping up with what’s happening at Penn State, but I’m ok with that. I just don’t like scrapping that unique system just to remain a distant second to PSU. Also, when Tom Brands is thriving, he’s a feisty character that makes wrestling more interesting. He also seems to have good leadership ability, in a fanatical kind of way. Please Iowa, keep TnT.

Lastly, I don’t like the idea of DT at Iowa. He’s not mean enough to fit their image. If he wants to coach, I think he’d be a better fit at Ohio St. Down the road, I think someone like Thomas Gilman could thrive as the Hawkeye HC. He’s mean, but also seems intelligent and could be a couch that can work better scrambling into the tough Iowa style.

I like TnT at Iowa. Until recently, (Caitlyn Clark), no one has been more iconic of Iowa than Dan Gable, TnT, and Hawkeye wrestling. They represent extreme toughness and a fanatical dedication to the sport and the university. One doesn’t have to be super athletic to thrive in that system. It’s more about hard work and mostly, being a fanatic. There are kids and adults nationwide that respect that and are fans of the program. If TnT go, the last really tough program will be gone. There’s got to be an elite program for wrestlers like Bull Marinelli, Brandon Sorensen, and Mike Evans.

I realize the the Iowa style isn’t keeping up with what’s happening at Penn State, but I’m ok with that. I just don’t like scrapping that unique system just to remain a distant second to PSU. Also, when Tom Brands is thriving, he’s a feisty character that makes wrestling more interesting. He also seems to have good leadership ability, in a fanatical kind of way. Please Iowa, keep TnT.

Lastly, I don’t like the idea of DT at Iowa. He’s not mean enough to fit their image. If he wants to coach, I think he’d be a better fit at Ohio St. Down the road, I think someone like Thomas Gilman could thrive as the Hawkeye HC. He’s mean, but also seems intelligent and could be a couch that can work better scrambling into the tough Iowa style.

Is this you? @johnstownsteel?

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

For right now, I’m just glad I don’t have to fear DT going to Iowa. That M2 pipeline is really paying off and I’d like it to stay.

Tonight, after a few white claws, I’ll figure out who I’m upset with for making me worry about it. :)
If you find yourself upset it will be due to the fact that you finally realized that you like white claws.

This, coming from a HVI respected and good poster @vhsalum over at GIA this morning. He states:

"Now the biggie - yes. Kyven was right. The AD has plans to talk to DT. She is dead serious about WINNING chips again. She's not particularly happy with Tom at the moment. The gambling, the ferrari situation, and this performance - she's holding Tom accountable and will be looking to do what will have us beat carl. She is VERY AWARE of the legacy of Iowa wrestling and how we're falling further behind. Like I told you earlier, she shut down AJ coming in in January - she's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.

Now how this got out? Not sure, but it likely means there are Tom loyalists who wanted it leaked. Because the plan was to wait until after the Olympics to talk to DT. So now that its out, not sure if this will accelerate talks or stop them completely."

"I've heard he'll (DT) "listen" - basically, the offer would have to be everything and more."

"canned"

Interesting rumors for the Monday morning after!
ef8415cc-8486-4dc8-b506-4c8ccf103309_text.gif

Also has a recruiting line straight to Pa. All of us with kids, who watched Kolat when we were kids idolized this guy. When Kolat walks into a house in Pa, people listen. Navy isn’t an easy school to recruit and Campbell just didn’t have the assets anyone else has. And he’s still been successful. Kolat also coaches with Mike Evans, who is from Pa, wrestled at Blaire Academy and for Iowa. So he has ties to 3 states. I think with a top former PSU and or Wisconsin (AWA) tie, they are perfect in Iowa. Just my opinion.
Admire Cary Kolat, but isn't he Brands 3.0?

Yes. And look at his guys at Navy - a whole lotta HEW
Doug Schwab with Iowa's bank account to build a staff and RTC would be very interesting to watch for me, Askren being a huge fan of him leads me to think he would stylistically offer a different perspective than Iowa if they can get those athletes also (and he should be able to at Iowa)

Reactions: NCPsuFan
And once again ....

At the very end of DT's lengthy interview from yesterday I think, he is being asked about the possibility of his future plans including coaching a college team.
He concludes by saying he cant see himself ever leaving Penn State.
From which, it can be inferred that Iowa will never return to the glory days they enjoyed when Gable was head coach.

And once again ....

At the very end of DT's lengthy interview from yesterday I think, he is being asked about the possibility of his future plans including coaching a college team.
He concludes by saying he cant see himself ever leaving Penn State.
This is not incompatible with the statement that he will "listen to Iowa's pitch". He'd be stupid not to accept the call and see what they have to say. All DT is alluding to is that it will take a whopping offer to get him actually interested and it's very unlikely to get to that point, but no one doesn't have a price at any price.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT