ADVERTISEMENT

"DT will listen to Iowa's pitch"

backdrft76

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
This, coming from a HVI respected and good poster @vhsalum over at GIA this morning. He states:

"Now the biggie - yes. Kyven was right. The AD has plans to talk to DT. She is dead serious about WINNING chips again. She's not particularly happy with Tom at the moment. The gambling, the ferrari situation, and this performance - she's holding Tom accountable and will be looking to do what will have us beat carl. She is VERY AWARE of the legacy of Iowa wrestling and how we're falling further behind. Like I told you earlier, she shut down AJ coming in in January - she's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.

Now how this got out? Not sure, but it likely means there are Tom loyalists who wanted it leaked. Because the plan was to wait until after the Olympics to talk to DT. So now that its out, not sure if this will accelerate talks or stop them completely."

"I've heard he'll (DT) "listen" - basically, the offer would have to be everything and more."

How would this work with Toms contract running through 2029? Will they both coexist or will Tom get canned for it to work?
"canned"

Interesting rumors for the Monday morning after!

I'm sure he'll "listen". Why wouldn't he? If he has any aspirations of being a D1 head coach, Iowa is as good of a landing spot as there is outside State College. The only way he wouldn't listen is if he's already decided there is no way he'd ever want to go into coaching at that level.

I would have to be a lot more respectful of Iowa if DT were the coach, though, and I have mixed feelings about that, but if it's the chance of a lifetime for him, I certainly will be rooting for his success.

I was hoping DT would be the next in line after Cael, but yeah, he's gotta figure out what is best for him. It would definitely make things interesting, especially if JB makes a step into coaching sometime soon.

I'm sure he'll "listen". Why wouldn't he? If he has any aspirations of being a D1 head coach, Iowa is as good of a landing spot as there is outside State College. The only way he wouldn't listen is if he's already decided there is no way he'd ever want to go into coaching at that level.

I would have to be a lot more respectful of Iowa if DT were the coach, though, and I have mixed feelings about that, but if it's the chance of a lifetime for him, I certainly will be rooting for his success.
Agreed, I would have to stop clowning on them as well, but I think with DT at the helm I'd feel differently.

Very doubtful that the Ferrari fiasco happens under DT and also the respect between rivals reemerges. There will be no more tin hat theories being tacitly endorsed by the HC and the asshats currently "in the circle" will be replaced or at least muzzled if they want access to continue.

This would go a long way toward making it easier for me.

Reactions: vhsalum

If he has aspirations to coach he could go just about anywhere in D1 and we’d all wish him well. However, if he goes to Iowa he’s dead to me. ;)

In all seriousness, who knows what’s really going on in Hawkeye land. From what I see scanning their board a few want Brands gone but most seem to want him to stay with maybe some assistant changes. I have no idea how forceful their AD is or if there would be significant pushback if she canned him.

Reactions: ikS
The thought of DT coaching at Iowa

200w.gif

Agreed, I would have to stop clowning on them as well, but I think with DT at the helm I'd feel differently.

Very doubtful that the Ferrari fiasco happens under DT and also the respect between rivals reemerges. There will be no more tin hat theories being tacitly endorsed by the HC and the asshats currently "in the circle" will be replaced or at least muzzled if they want access to continue.

This would go a long way toward making it easier for me.
I think there’s a good chance if this happens Angelo will stay a Hawkeye, in his interviews he cites DT as the wrestler he wants to be like. For the other two the AD is not in support so either way I can’t see them becoming Hawkeyes under Tom either.

Also - with DT at the helm, at least I can enjoy the public spectacle that ensues when the Lee entourage realizes that the coronation plan is derailed.

Expect an all out assault on Beth, with an eye on skipping the coaching step and wading right into the AD conversation.

Only kidding...kinda

Winning fixes everything. There's a new sheriff in town in Iowa City and she means business.
Sure. The same could be said for a lot of guys who come in to replace a legendary coach (and that's how it seems Hawkeye fans/insiders view Tom). Reality can be a lot different.

We're not talking about simply a HC change. It would have to be a fundamental culture change. And if the program boosters/insiders are resentful of that change or view it as unneccesary, even an uber-talented guy like DT could struggle (relatively speaking).

Tom's contract situation and how it aligns with the next Olympic cycle sets up a Spencer Lee scenario that seems way more plausible than "the new AG is going to throw a bunch of money at DT a few years after Brands signed a contract extension".

I think there’s a good chance if this happens Angelo will stay a Hawkeye, in his interviews he cites DT as the wrestler he wants to be like. For the other two the AD is not in support so either way I can’t see them becoming Hawkeyes under Tom either.
Agreed. My statement reflected my opinion that under DT, I highly doubt Anthony or AJ would have ever been in the table, unlike under the current HC.

So, it may work out perfectly for Iowa.

Sure. The same could be said for a lot of guys who come in to replace a legendary coach (and that's how it seems Hawkeye fans/insiders view Tom). Reality can be a lot different.

We're not talking about simply a HC change. It would have to be a fundamental culture change. And if the program boosters/insiders are resentful of that change or view it as unneccesary, even an uber-talented guy like DT could struggle (relatively speaking).

Tom's contract situation and how it aligns with the next Olympic cycle sets up a Spencer Lee scenario that se.ems way more plausible than "the new AG is going to throw a bunch of money at DT a few years after Brands signed a contract extension".
Extended to June 2028

I think the more fun exercise would be who would DT bring as assistant coaches. Dake?
Spencer would help win a few of the Brands supporters. Would they really bring in two pieces with zero collegiate coaching experience? They’d need a Cody-type.

If there is truth to these rumors, would expect an Iowa offer would set a new paradigm for top program collegiate wrestling coach salaries, which when compared to football and basketball is both a good and a bad thing.

No there wouldn't be parity with those other sports, but yes, absolutely week into 7 figures a year is the likely result. The twins are over the bottom threshold today I think when combined.

PSU, Ohio State, Cornell, won't have much of a problem matching, but this will put pressure on the next tier programs that are already losing money, and the whole effect will cascade downward some.

One question to the NCAA, is owning an academy compliant with recruiting age limitations? You can't separate daily interaction from recruiting. The same goes for Ben Askren. They might say you have to sell it, but I would think legal action would shoot hooked in it. I'm the end one might see the end of age limitations contact the ultimate result, a la NIL, and the Portal. It's a new age in collegiate sports.

On balance I didn't like the thought or the result of PSU/PA's arguably highest profile wrestler going to Iowa and establishing a pipeline of PAs best talent down to Iowa. I didn't like it one bit. Is it good for wrestling? Most likely. :-(

Do I think David will take the offer? Everyone has a price, and they will top his price.

Reactions: Sullivan
DT would be a fool not to listen. No matter how you feel, Iowa HC is a life changing opportunity. That being said, I’m curious of the caveats seeing how he has never coached at this level, even as an assistant. Watching Cael run his program isn’t enough, we know Cael is huge on everyone doing their job and DT’s job is not coaching. It’s risky (with high reward payout) I imagine DT will want to do things his way, no restrictions on him having to hire a Hawkeye or doing XYZ for boosters.

Similarly, I’m curious how many more years Cael plans to go and that could be a factor in DT’s decision. He’s young but he’s a very hands on coach. I always felt when he feels he can’t hang with his best guys anymore, he’ll call it, unfortunately earlier than some of us might want or hope for.

Imagine being so dead and buried that you have to hire one of the guys who started digging the hole.

The IOWA way = Penn State west
Georgia literally did this in football and it’s working pretty well. Swallow your pride and learn the way. The only way is they have to let DT completely do it his way, no mixing in Iowa’s tradition to satisfy some boosters/fans

Reactions: Sullivan
I was hoping DT would be the next in line after Cael, but yeah, he's gotta figure out what is best for him. It would definitely make things interesting, especially if JB makes a step into coaching sometime soon.
I'm thinking that MM will be next in line to coach PSU. 8 years from now after 3 NCs and an Olympic Gold and 7 World Titles he moves to Cael's staff. 3-4 years later, Cael retires and MM takes over. Being a coaches son, as well as seeming to have the Cael personality, along with 12 more years of Cael at the helm, seems to be a perfect fit. Now, if Cael wants to coach 20+ more years, no problem

Reactions: Fatmarc
Iowa would be able to fund this if the slumlord was all in. But he has been adamant that “Ped State” has no secret sauce and it’s just money for transfers.

Reactions: danoftw
If DT goes to Iowa that draws the entire M2-> State College pipeline into question and some athletes would have to make some very tough decisions. Would probably be best for overall parity but it probably won't even happen.
Exactly. Recall how quickly Cael got things rolling at PSU. It would be just as quick if DT went to Iowa.

I hope they can convince someone else. Anyone else, really.

If DT goes to Iowa I'd think his first move would be to cut all ties with Ferrari clan. They, yes the family, has a destructive culture and building the right culture should be priority one.

IIRC Years ago, DT was on Askren's old podcast w/ Tommy Rowlands, and said he'd be thrilled if given the opportunity to coach at Iowa. That was before he was so rooted here in SC, though.

Tom's contract situation and how it aligns with the next Olympic cycle sets up a Spencer Lee scenario that seems way more plausible than "the new AG is going to throw a bunch of money at DT a few years after Brands signed a contract extension".
This reads to me more like what you hope would happen than what is realistic. Boosters want to win. They would hop on the DT train pretty quick.

If there is truth to these rumors, would expect an Iowa offer would set a new paradigm for top program collegiate wrestling coach salaries, which when compared to football and basketball is both a good and a bad thing.

No there wouldn't be parity with those other sports, but yes, absolutely week into 7 figures a year is the likely result. The twins are over the bottom threshold today I think when combined.

PSU, Ohio State, Cornell, won't have much of a problem matching, but this will put pressure on the next tier programs that are already losing money, and the whole effect will cascade downward some.

One question to the NCAA, is owning an academy compliant with recruiting age limitations? You can't separate daily interaction from recruiting. The same goes for Ben Askren. They might say you have to sell it, but I would think legal action would shoot hooked in it. I'm the end one might see the end of age limitations contact the ultimate result, a la NIL, and the Portal. It's a new age in collegiate sports.

On balance I didn't like the thought or the result of PSU/PA's arguably highest profile wrestler going to Iowa and establishing a pipeline of PAs best talent down to Iowa. I didn't like it one bit. Is it good for wrestling? Most likely. :-(

Do I think David will take the offer? Everyone has a price, and they will top his price.
I’d imagine he’d have to sell or close down M2 - total conflict of interest.

He could sell M2 to Zain and Nolf

Like every other school, only football and men’s basketball make money at Iowa. Ferentz isn’t long for coaching. They are going to want the best splash hire they can get when he’s done. McCaffery isn’t cheap. Women’s hoops doesn’t make money, but Bluder just got an extension.
As much as Goetz wants to get Iowa pride back, she isn’t going to have the kind of ridiculous money to throw at Taylor that I think it would take.
Tom gets paid $600k plus a year. Iowa is a major athletic program with lots of money.

Penn St. was revived from the dead by hiring an Iowa st guy?
Iowa was sparked by hiring an Iowa st guy?
I don’t think it matters where the coach is coming from as long as he is bringing trophies home.
Clearly, Iowa should hire David Carr....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT