ADVERTISEMENT

"DT will listen to Iowa's pitch"

I suspect a hypothetical new coach would bring in new talent gradually but not overhaul immediately.

Looking at the HWC roster, it's not terrible. It's not nearly at the level of PSU or Michigan, but it's not a bad starting point. Not where it should be but far better than it was a few years ago. It does need more middle- and upper-weights.

The toughest nut to crack would be Spencer. He's obviously the best wrestler on the roster, also the wrestler with the most to lose in a regime change and the one with the most fan backing. If he doesn't buy in or doesn't feel he can win world gold there, then he has to move on. And that would cause backlash.

For that reason alone, a hypothetical new coach might consider keeping Dan Dennis around as the HWC coach for at least a year or two.
Spencer has been vocal his number 1 reason for going to Iowa is Terry Brands, he wants him as his cornerman. It's not a well kept secret they are hoping to groom him into a top HC as well, seeing how he has been vocal about coaching and Brands purposely ended his previous contract at 2029, one year after the cycle Spencer wants to end.

Hiring DT would completely napalm the coaching plans and similarly I imagine DT won't want Terry involved anymore, basically destroying the main connection of Spencer to Iowa at this point. Similarly, it would be hiring an outsider when Spencer destroyed his knees, his chance at 4 titles and Olympic Gold while at Iowa for the shcool (and I imagine part of the reason he always did that is he expects Iowa stays loyal to him, this would not be it)

Perhaps you should have been here for the 3-4 years of arrogance and denial that HR visitors would heap upon us, or maybe the 10 years of accusations that have followed and continue to this day.
I wasn't around so can't speak to any of that, but I don't doubt it at all. But I think it's important to separate the minority of nasty posters from the program itself and the majority of levelheaded fans. I have a lot of respect for the PSU program even while it stings a bit as they have established the new dynasty. I started wrestling about when Cael was starting his collegiate GOAT run, and his poster was on my bedroom wall next to Gable. I even had the good fortune to have a 2x NCAA champ from Cael's alma mater as a coach in my youth.

I don't give any credence to internet rumors about your program or ours until something approaching verification surfaces. I don't care for the accusations of cheating or doping that some level against Cael without evidence, just like I don't care for some of the unfounded junk that gets leveled at the Iowa program. Too much anonymous internet bravado and too few facts or sources.

At the end of the day, I bet most of us can agree that the most extreme message board posters don't at all reflect their teams' cultures, and I suspect most us of just love the sport of wrestling and our alma maters. You all are fans of a program at the top by a wide, wide margin, and you should enjoy it. Just remember, however, that this too shall pass.

All that said, if DT wants to come to Iowa and the farm is a concern, I have a nice little setup on ~4 acres with two barns and a machine shed with some decent fenced pasture. Might even be able to convince my neighbor to sell him 40 or so if he's looking to expand. Hell, I'll chore for him if needed. That reminds me, I actually spent my evening bucking and splitting some firewood I got from a local tree service and hauling water to the chicken house, ya posers.😉

Fair enough. Be well, my fellow wrestling fans.
Just so you know, since you seem like a normal dude: "Dream School" became a board joke when Real Woods called Iowa that after graduating from Stanford.

Brands along with just about every college coach tried to recruit him in HS. (Woods attended Montini Catholic in Illinois and trained under Izzy Martinez -- that's a two-fer for getting pipelined to Iowa or Michigan.) Woods shot them all down immediately, singularly focused on Stanford.

Not that Stanford was a bad decision by any means, just that if Iowa were truly a dream school back then, he could've listened to Brands if nothing else.

Hence the "Dream School" joke.

Spencer has been vocal his number 1 reason for going to Iowa is Terry Brands, he wants him as his cornerman. It's not a well kept secret they are hoping to groom him into a top HC as well, seeing how he has been vocal about coaching and Brands purposely ended his previous contract at 2029, one year after the cycle Spencer wants to end.

Hiring DT would completely napalm the coaching plans and similarly I imagine DT won't want Terry involved anymore, basically destroying the main connection of Spencer to Iowa at this point. Similarly, it would be hiring an outsider when Spencer destroyed his knees, his chance at 4 titles and Olympic Gold while at Iowa for the shcool (and I imagine part of the reason he always did that is he expects Iowa stays loyal to him, this would not be it)
A top HC that had to send his father out, when he was 24 years old, that he was "physically" unable to continue is not a HC material. Anyone that would get in a "foxhole"* with is a fool.

*see CStar's quote in interview.

I wasn't around so can't speak to any of that, but I don't doubt it at all. But I think it's important to separate the minority of nasty posters from the program itself and the majority of levelheaded fans. I have a lot of respect for the PSU program even while it stings a bit as they have established the new dynasty. I started wrestling about when Cael was starting his collegiate GOAT run, and his poster was on my bedroom wall next to Gable. I even had the good fortune to have a 2x NCAA champ from Cael's alma mater as a coach in my youth.

I don't give any credence to internet rumors about your program or ours until something approaching verification surfaces. I don't care for the accusations of cheating or doping that some level against Cael without evidence, just like I don't care for some of the unfounded junk that gets leveled at the Iowa program. Too much anonymous internet bravado and too few facts or sources.

At the end of the day, I bet most of us can agree that the most extreme message board posters don't at all reflect their teams' cultures, and I suspect most us of just love the sport of wrestling and our alma maters. You all are fans of a program at the top by a wide, wide margin, and you should enjoy it. Just remember, however, that this too shall pass.

All that said, if DT wants to come to Iowa and the farm is a concern, I have a nice little setup on ~4 acres with two barns and a machine shed with some decent fenced pasture. Might even be able to convince my neighbor to sell him 40 or so if he's looking to expand. Hell, I'll chore for him if needed. That reminds me, I actually spent my evening bucking and splitting some firewood I got from a local tree service and hauling water to the chicken house, ya posers.😉
Thanks for the respectful reply.

I love the excuse of the "extreme" posters, and we shouldn't judge everyone by those few. That would actually make some sense if any, and I mean any, of the (non-extreme)? posters would actually join in and shut them up, but that never happens.

I currently have 77 HR posters on ignore. I only put people on ignore when they jump on the Sandusky stuff with the pedo BS. The first time I see it I put them on ignore (except for one), and I don't recall a single, yes not a single HR poster telling anyone to stop the BS. Not one, NOT YOU. Why is that?

Yet to a tee you think Iowans are the nicest, most polite people on Earth. PSU has been hated rivals with Pitt for a long time. Rutgers hates us more than Pitt. Yet, if I had to rank the fans based on their vile spite of PSU from other schools from from worst it would be Iowa number one without any question.

Just so you know, since you seem like a normal dude: "Dream School" became a board joke when Real Woods called Iowa that after graduating from Stanford.

Brands along with just about every college coach tried to recruit him in HS. (Woods attended Montini Catholic in Illinois and trained under Izzy Martinez -- that's a two-fer for getting pipelined to Iowa or Michigan.) Woods shot them all down immediately, singularly focused on Stanford.

Not that Stanford was a bad decision by any means, just that if Iowa were truly a dream school back then, he could've listened to Brands if nothing else.

Hence the "Dream School" joke.
Thanks for the context. And hell yeah get that Stanford degree. Real is an absolute class act and smart cookie. He's got a bright future in front of him whatever he decides to do; he will be a leader of men and very successful. I loved having him here and think he made those around him better.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Thanks for the respectful reply.

I love the excuse of the "extreme" posters, and we shouldn't judge everyone by those few. That would actually make some sense if any, and I mean any, of the (non-extreme)? posters would actually join in and shut them up, but that never happens.

I currently have 77 HR posters on ignore. I only put people on ignore when they jump on the Sandusky stuff with the pedo BS. The first time I see it I put them on ignore (except for one), and I don't recall a single, yes not a single HR poster telling anyone to stop the BS. Not one, NOT YOU. Why is that?

Yet to a tee you think Iowans are the nicest, most polite people on Earth. PSU has been hated rivals with Pitt for a long time. Rutgers hates us more than Pitt. Yet, if I had to rank the fans based on their vile spite of PSU from other schools from from worst it would be Iowa number one without any question.
I can see where you're coming from to a degree, but I disagree that there is some responsibility for everyone to police all that is said on a message board. That's a damn near full time job, and beside the time distraction from one's actual job, folks have a right to speak their mind even if it's nasty drivel. And sometimes a lack of acknowledgement is the most powerful refutation.

As for the Sandusky thing, it's an unfathomably awful situation that happened in the past. Those responsible should face dire consequences, but it's asinine to hurl it as an insult to current staff who weren't anywhere near that terrible situation.

Again, I don't agree with much, maybe even most, of what gets posted on these wrestling boards. But I don't feel I have to answer for everything that an Iowa fan puts out there, as though it somehow represents the program at large. Nor should you. And I don't think Iowans overall are the nicest people on earth, although most of them I've met are hardworking and selfless to a fault. If an internet message board is your gauge, though, you're going to miss a lot about the true nature of people from any place in the world. I know well a few friends from Pennsylvania, and I would trust them with my life.

Anyway, I've lingered too long and rambled enough on the PSU board. While I hope my Hawkeyes can turn the tide sooner than later, I wish your team good health and fair competition in the future.

I can see where you're coming from to a degree, but I disagree that there is some responsibility for everyone to police all that is said on a message board. That's a damn near full time job, and beside the time distraction from one's actual job, folks have a right to speak their mind even if it's nasty drivel. And sometimes a lack of acknowledgement is the most powerful refutation.
Horse shat! No one, not one single person spoke out!

I suspect a hypothetical new coach would bring in new talent gradually but not overhaul immediately.

Looking at the HWC roster, it's not terrible. It's not nearly at the level of PSU or Michigan, but it's not a bad starting point. Not where it should be but far better than it was a few years ago. It does need more middle- and upper-weights.

The toughest nut to crack would be Spencer. He's obviously the best wrestler on the roster, also the wrestler with the most to lose in a regime change and the one with the most fan backing. If he doesn't buy in or doesn't feel he can win world gold there, then he has to move on. And that would cause backlash.

For that reason alone, a hypothetical new coach might consider keeping Dan Dennis around as the HWC coach for at least a year or two.
If there is anything to this, DT would be very wise to not just placate Spencer but increase his visibility. Spencer is potentially DT’s best existing asset there, and could go a long way for him in both recruiting and reassuring disgruntled fans/boosters/bag men. I doubt bringing in an actual Olympic gold medalist and the staff DT could entice would make Spencer think his chances of winning gold himself are any less than they are now, but if Spencer wants certain people to stay around him at HWC (whether Terry or Dennis or whoever), then keep them around.

Reactions: PotentiallyDan
Horse shat! No one, not one single person spoke out!
Actually some have over the years but not nearly enough. I'm always disappointed when really good posters are on a thread but remain silent. It doesn't help when one of their biggest donors, Slumlord Bob, gets on HR and uses pedo language as well. That guy is completely classless as his nickname implies.

This was my post, and if you had bothered to listen to the interview, that is the precise phrase DT used. If you have a problem with that, take it up with David. That said, I seriously doubt this thing has legs, this interview was seven years ago as I mentioned, and I'd be very surprised to see David at Iowa, although I don't have any inside connection either. But thanks for taking a neutral post with objectively true information and trying to use to support a narrative that all Iowa fans are nuts. I think you'd actually like most of them if you ever met one; the feeling might even be mutual.

I don't visit here nearly as often as the many PSU posters on the Iowa board, but I thought I'd check out the take on this new rumor. But seriously, the need for some on here to take everything posted on the Iowa board and spin it into some fantasy of moral and logical superiority is just bizarre. PSU could not be farther ahead of the pack, but it seems some of you are still continually threatened by Iowa wrestling's mere existence. Just enjoy being a fan of the team at the top of the mountain for a minute or two.
c041a013-3876-4fc8-8ecc-bec27d515131_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: AgSurfer
Iowa should hire Schwab. I think he’s a great coach who has done well with limited resources. Seems like his wrestlers really love him as well. Not sure that it would happen but I’d love to see what he could do with the resources that Iowa wrestling has.
This is who I’d be going after as well if I were the Iowa AD. The dude can coach and brings the Iowa lineage.

DT 1st order of business: tell Terry and Nelson Brands to beat it and take Ferrari too, I doubt he brings back Bobby Telford as head recruiter also
I've always thought that the head of a wrestling team should be the head recruiter.

DT has what, three young daughters correct? I know they are super young, but it might be a selling point to him about the Iowa Women's Wrestling team if he has visions of his daughters wrestling in the future.

I dunno, that's something that popped into my head as a dad of two young girls myself haha 🤷
My first thought was, "there is no way DT would get anywhere near the Ferraris since he and his wife have 3 young daughters".

For it all to be true… the buyout of Tom’s contract has to be funded by a booster (or boosters) which means a booster is behind it / involved and explains how it leaked (if true).

Others have pointed out the Spencer / Terry component and placating them.

One would have to think hard about taking a head coaching job that answers to more than just the AD.

Reactions: psu00 and AgSurfer
Given the magnitude of receiving some interest from one of the top programs, I'm sure David is interested in what they might have to say.

But David's goal right now is to continue training, win the Olympic Trials in a few weeks, and win a gold medal later this summer. David will continue to focus on the important things currently in his life. Until he's done competing, I wouldn't expect him to be a coach anywhere, except M2.

I doubt very much DT is sharing his inner most career thoughts to the crowd surrounding him. "I will listen to them" tells you everything you need to know in terms of possible vs impossible. I wish it were impossible.
You don’t believe he shares his thoughts with his family members closest to him? I beg to differ, but we all have our thoughts on it.

I've always thought that the head of a wrestling team should be the head recruiter.
In most sports at most schools, an assistant has that role and most of the day-to-day admin activities. Certain coaches may be assigned to certain recruits throughout the process.

But the head coach typically is the opener and closer. Which is why it was so funny that Telford made the initial contact with Knox. (Well, that and the fact that Knox didn't know who Telford was.)

Reactions: Pennstate1985
In most sports at most schools, an assistant has that role and most of the day-to-day admin activities. Certain coaches may be assigned to certain recruits throughout the process.

But the head coach typically is the opener and closer. Which is why it was so funny that Telford made the initial contact with Knox. (Well, that and the fact that Knox didn't know who Telford was.)
I've seen some positive comments posted here about Kennedy. Can anyone provide any details? Just curious.

You don’t believe he shares his thoughts with his family members closest to him? I beg to differ, but we all have our thoughts on it.
One notable exception was Cael, reversing his decision the night before he called c&c and told them the news shortly before accepting. But yeah, normally your loved ones are on the pulse.

A top HC that had to send his father out, when he was 24 years old, that he was "physically" unable to continue is not a HC material. Anyone that would get in a "foxhole"* with is a fool.

*see CStar's quote in interview.
No doubt a terrible look, however...

This is not Spencer's time to coach either. After he wins an Oly or World Gold someday (I think likely), he will be remembered as a gold medalist, 3x NCAA champ and the details of his final tourney will fade into the background.

Reactions: sweatybetty
I doubt his 'family' is spreading rumors, then to the friend of a friend, the next ring out in his circle likely doesn't know everything.

Reactions: WaffleShopper
Given the magnitude of receiving some interest from one of the top programs, I'm sure David is interested in what they might have to say.

But David's goal right now is to continue training, win the Olympic Trials in a few weeks, and win a gold medal later this summer. David will continue to focus on the important things currently in his life. Until he's done competing, I wouldn't expect him to be a coach anywhere, except M2.
Sully > you got this right. DT is focused on Gold in Paris. It is unlikely that he is going to break focus to mull the Iowa job. Hell … by the time the Olympics are over students will be back on campus for fall semester.

I remember O'Brien made a similar complaint after he took the PSU head football coach job. He was getting a lot of pressure to not change anything that JoePa did.
Beat me to it. PSU has 1 vocal big donor plus the past coach's vocal son both on the board of trustees, and often not so supportive. And that's before we get to other big donors and the general fanbase.

Those 2 are probably a big part of why Brandon Short is recruiting football alums to be BOT candidates.

One thought that keeps entering my mind here is that DT, and some of the names mentioned with him, might have better access to/relationships with brands that can deliver true NIL (not just fanboy $$) than any existing coaching staff. I’m not sure what amount that adds up to, but it could permit more flexibility and speed in roster building, and allows for some de-coupling from boosters that may want undue influence.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
It went from “dream school” to “dream job”:

“I had to go back and dig it up, but I recall listening to David Taylor several years ago on the podcast Askren and Tommy Rowlands used to have. They specifically asked him if he would want to coach at Iowa, and he said it was something he would be interested in, one of the dream job positions out there. No idea about any of the rumors here, and the podcast is hypothetical speculation from 7 years ago now, but interesting nonetheless.

The impetus for the question to DT was Askren going into his issue with Iowa's style (basically lack of focus on scrambling), and DT offers his thoughts on the matter. Interesting to listen to regardless.”

The relevant part starts around 45:40.”
keep in mind that a nightmare is also a dream

No doubt a terrible look, however...

This is not Spencer's time to coach either. After he wins an Oly or World Gold someday (I think likely), he will be remembered as a gold medalist, 3x NCAA champ and the details of his final tourney will fade into the background.
Agreed. A club wrestler at best, to attend all fund raising activities as part of his "contract".
However, most of us from non-Iowa schools will default to remember his last NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
Georgia literally did this in football and it’s working pretty well. Swallow your pride and learn the way. The only way is they have to let DT completely do it his way, no mixing in Iowa’s tradition to satisfy some boosters/fans
Not exactly. Kirby may have coached at Bama under Saban, but he played at Georgia and is a Bulldog through-and-through.

I won't believe this until Slumlord BoB confirms this is true and gives his stamp of approval. We know money talks. ;););)
With all the comments he's made about Penn State I find it unlikely he'd be in favor of it.

Didn’t someone here say Gabe Arnold’s relative said he never would have considered PSU because their family hates DT. This was when DT had no official role at PSU. Now he would be the boss in this situation lol (and I’m aware Iowa wouldn’t shy away from a big hire because what a wrestler would think)
Why in the world would they hate DT? Is there a history there?

Reactions: ccdiver

First three paragraphs, I was all in. But you know how many "aw shits" it takes to wipe out a bunch of "attaboys," right? So, GTFO. 😛

• Haha
Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
There as been a reference to an interview 7 yrs ago where DT said he would "listen to" an offer from Iowa (or I think impliedly) any of the top programs.

On the other hand I am certain I heard one interview (and I think a second occasion) more recent than that, where he specifically said he would not be interested in coaching anywhere other than Penn State.

He has so many things going on, I think it is extremely unlikely he would uproot the family to move to Iowa, or anywhere else.
I expect at some point he may join the staff of NLWC to begin a coaching career.

Btw ... didnt he and Dake just recently indicate some new venture they were beginning?

Reactions: royboy
There as been a reference to an interview 7 yrs ago where DT said he would "listen to" an offer from Iowa (or I think impliedly) any of the top programs.

On the other hand I am certain I heard one interview (and I think a second occasion) more recent than that, where he specifically said he would not be interested in coaching anywhere other than Penn State.

He has so many things going on, I think it is extremely unlikely he would uproot the family to move to Iowa, or anywhere else.
I expect at some point he may join the staff of NLWC to begin a coaching career.

Btw ... didnt he and Dake just recently indicate some new venture they were beginning?
Thanks for a good recap and explanation. I certainly have no inside information, and your account makes a lot of sense.

I'm in no rush to see Cael move on, but would love to see DT take the reins at some point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT