ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session III

PSU has more wrestlers in the semifinals (7) than any other team but tOSU (1 SF, 6 Cons Four) has left in the tournament. If they come anywhere close to duplicating this round in the next one, then it may be the greatest day of wrestling that any team has ever put together and subjectively I am including the day of 5 individual champions. Simply amazing clutch performers.

Cael is not only the GOAT as a wrestler, but he will also be the GOAT of coaches before he turns over the job to RBY. :D
Solid analysis but I’m thinking that your last point is a bit off as I see Cael someday turning the program over to AB. But that is many moons and many more titles down the road!

Snapshot of current top individual scores.

Spencer Lee (Iowa)13.5
Chris Foca (Cornell)13
Wyatt Hendrickson (Air Force)13
Aaron Brooks (Penn State)12
Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State)12
Pat Glory (Princeton)12
Peyton Robb (Nebraska)12
Keegan Otoole (Missouri)11.5
Trent Hidlay (North Carolina State)11.5
Andrew Alirez (Northern Colorado)11
Cameron Amine (Michigan)11
Carter Starocci (Penn State)11
Daton Fix (Oklahoma State)11
David Carr (Iowa State)11
Levi Haines (Penn State)11
Mason Parris (Michigan)11
Real Woods (Iowa)11
Shayne Van Ness (Penn State)11
Tony Cassioppi (Iowa)11
Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell)11
Austin Oconnor (North Carolina)10
Brock Hardy (Nebraska)10
Kyle Parco (Arizona State)10
Michael McGee (Arizona State)10
Nino Bonaccorsi (Pittsburgh)10
Parker Keckeisen (Northern Iowa)10
Quincy Monday (Princeton)10
Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State)10
Sammy Sasso (Ohio State)10
Vito Arujau (Cornell)10
Beau Bartlett (Penn State)9

PSU Bonus = 13.0
I love that guy! PSU Bonus is one of my all-time favorite wrestlers on this team.

In case anybody needed a good example, O'Reilly continuously pulling himself and Carter off the mat there at the end of the first period is a text book edge stall call that the dimwits don't call.

I don't understand how these Refs are allowing wrestler after wrestler to wrestle the edge with both of their feet OB and their opponent fully In-Bounds.... and making no effort to put themselves back in-bounds - just continue to wrestle with both feet OB as if it were no big deal. This is not legal and absurd that Folk-Style Ref after Folk-Style Ref is allowing it.

Once a wrestler goes fully OB while their opponent is fully in-bounds, they need to show an effort to return in-bounds (the only way it is not Stalling is if they are engaged with opponent and the opponent is preventing them from returning. Just ridiculous that Ref after Ref allowed wrestlers to just hangout OB while being completely unengaged with their opponent and their opponent fully in-bounds. That is Stalling (refusing to wrestle and refusing to re-enter the in-bounds circle) and should not be encouraged which is what Refs do when they refuse to call blatant stalling like that. I think I saw one Ref call it a "Stalemate" which is an utter joke as it isn't a "stalemate" - only 1 wrestler is refusing to wrestle and obey the rules.

I don't understand how these Refs are allowing wrestler after wrestler to wrestle the edge with both of their feet OB and their opponent fully In-Bounds.... and making no effort to put themselves back in-bounds - just continue to wrestle with both feet OB as if it were no big deal. This is not legal and absurd that Folk-Style Ref after Folk-Style Ref is allowing it.

Once a wrestler goes fully OB while their opponent is fully in-bounds, they need to show an effort to return in-bounds (the only way it is not Stalling is if they are engaged with opponent and the opponent is preventing them from returning. Just ridiculous that Ref after Ref allowed wrestlers to just hangout OB while being completely unengaged with their opponent and their opponent fully in-bounds. That is Stalling (refusing to wrestle and refusing to re-enter the in-bounds circle) and should not be encouraged which is what Refs do when they refuse to call blatant stalling like that. I think I saw one Ref call it a "Stalemate" which is an utter joke as it isn't a "stalemate" - only 1 wrestler is refusing to wrestle and obey the rules.
Refs are ruining the world my man. They hate you.

last year after session 3....

Team Standings (Top 3)
1: PENN STATE – 73.0
2: Michigan – 62.5
3: Arizona State – 53.0

2023 results after session 3

Team Standings (Top 3 after session 3)
1: PENN STATE – 78.0
2: Iowa – 48.0
3: Cornell – 45.5

It doesn’t get much better than a 9-0 session. I’ll remember the dubs at 141, 149 and 157 for a long time.
Especially SVN & Levi coming back from way down. SVN, Mr. Third Period, has had to do that twice now. He can’t afford to get behind Yianni like that, though.

Reactions: mcpat
Obviously it's moot now, but I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about Mathews' behavior in the rideout periods. First he threw the leg in and just hung on when Beau stood in the first rideout (and hung there for probably a good 10 seconds with no attempt to return to the mat. Still no stalemate or stall call from the ref). Then in the second rideout, he hung right on the edge of the mat with Beau in a front headlock with absolutely no intention of trying to improve his position. Not illegal of course and probably not something that would draw a stall call in any other match, but wouldn't you think in a rideout period that the refs would be quick to call a stalemate to at least allow the more active wrestler a chance to score? Maybe just sour grapes (even though my guy won ultimately), but it really is disheartening to see some guys wrestle that way and get away with it (and yeah, I've seen him wrestle before and it's not even a tiny bit surprising to me).

Reactions: creamery freak
Sorry this is so long but I missed this morning’s round so these are my thoughts about it all.

I’m so pissed that I had to work this morning and missed quite possibly the best round of wrestling in a long time! Reading through this thread though has been comedic gold!! Everyone went from about to jump off a building in all of BB, SVN, and Levi’s matches to absolute ecstasy in just a matter of minutes!! We should all learn to not post until the match is over! Thankfully ESPN + has the round archived already so I’m watching it now. SVN can get sloppy and give up some bad points but his pace really is a weapon. He just does it differently than most with so much pressure on his opponents head and by the 3rd period most guys are in deep water. I’m not sure how many of you guys have ever felt completely 100% spent where your body just won’t do what you tell it to do but it’s a horrible feeling and SVN pushes his opponents there often. This should do wonders for his confidence and he is going to be a huge problem the next 3 years. Levi Haines is the ****ing man!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a true freshman as calm and collected in huge moments as he is. Ice water in his veins. Going down 6-0 to a kid as good as Andonian and showing no panic is pretty crazy. Going back to his high school days I’ve been one of his biggest cheerleaders and said I saw greatness in his future but even I am a bit surprised at just how good he is. His baseline defense and his leg attacks were really impressive against Andonian even in the position he gave up 6. He finishes that shot against 99% of people other than Bryce. He actually did a masterful job of staying out of Andonian’s strong positions and made him wrestle in ties that Levi liked plus Levi lived on his legs especially in the 2nd period on. PSU has dominated in the semifinals recently and I’m betting they do again but there are some really really tough matchups that could go either way even with our big guns. AB will be in a close match with Hidlay for sure and as great as Starocci is Foca is wrestling lights out and in my eyes will be a tougher match than whoever he sees in the finals. RBY is the biggest favorite in my mind. McGee is super quick which is how he usually wins but RBY is the one guy in the country who is quicker and just better in pretty much every position. I had picked Alirez to win the whole tournament but BB matches up ok with him. Alirez isn’t great on the mat so Bartlett should have a slight advantage there. Alirez is incredible on his feet but Beau has such good defense I think he neutralizes most of Alirez is good at. I see another 1 td match that can go either way. Yianni is a horrible matchup for SVN but Shayne is playing with house $ at this point so he should just push the pace and go for broke. He’s been the comeback kid this tournament so let’s see him pull it off one more time. I really like Robb and wish he and Levi were wrestling in the finals but it will be a super fun semi instead. Another coin flip match but I also think Levi will win. Getting his hands on Robb at Big 10’s was important and I think Cael and company will have a good game plan in place. Kerk should get pushed by Hendrickson but I feel like Kerk is just a bit better in almost all positions. He needs to be careful because Wyatt is dangerous as they come but Kerk should win by a td or so. I’m pissed I missed the quarters but the semis are the best round in wrestling and I can’t ****ing wait!!!

Sorry this is so long but I missed this morning’s round so these are my thoughts about it all.

I’m so pissed that I had to work this morning and missed quite possibly the best round of wrestling in a long time! Reading through this thread though has been comedic gold!! Everyone went from about to jump off a building in all of BB, SVN, and Levi’s matches to absolute ecstasy in just a matter of minutes!! We should all learn to not post until the match is over! Thankfully ESPN + has the round archived already so I’m watching it now. SVN can get sloppy and give up some bad points but his pace really is a weapon. He just does it differently than most with so much pressure on his opponents head and by the 3rd period most guys are in deep water. I’m not sure how many of you guys have ever felt completely 100% spent where your body just won’t do what you tell it to do but it’s a horrible feeling and SVN pushes his opponents there often. This should do wonders for his confidence and he is going to be a huge problem the next 3 years. Levi Haines is the ****ing man!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a true freshman as calm and collected in huge moments as he is. Ice water in his veins. Going down 6-0 to a kid as good as Andonian and showing no panic is pretty crazy. Going back to his high school days I’ve been one of his biggest cheerleaders and said I saw greatness in his future but even I am a bit surprised at just how good he is. His baseline defense and his leg attacks were really impressive against Andonian even in the position he gave up 6. He finishes that shot against 99% of people other than Bryce. He actually did a masterful job of staying out of Andonian’s strong positions and made him wrestle in ties that Levi liked plus Levi lived on his legs especially in the 2nd period on. PSU has dominated in the semifinals recently and I’m betting they do again but there are some really really tough matchups that could go either way even with our big guns. AB will be in a close match with Hidlay for sure and as great as Starocci is Foca is wrestling lights out and in my eyes will be a tougher match than whoever he sees in the finals. RBY is the biggest favorite in my mind. McGee is super quick which is how he usually wins but RBY is the one guy in the country who is quicker and just better in pretty much every position. I had picked Alirez to win the whole tournament but BB matches up ok with him. Alirez isn’t great on the mat so Bartlett should have a slight advantage there. Alirez is incredible on his feet but Beau has such good defense I think he neutralizes most of Alirez is good at. I see another 1 td match that can go either way. Yianni is a horrible matchup for SVN but Shayne is playing with house $ at this point so he should just push the pace and go for broke. He’s been the comeback kid this tournament so let’s see him pull it off one more time. I really like Robb and wish he and Levi were wrestling in the finals but it will be a super fun semi instead. Another coin flip match but I also think Levi will win. Getting his hands on Robb at Big 10’s was important and I think Cael and company will have a good game plan in place. Kerk should get pushed by Hendrickson but I feel like Kerk is just a bit better in almost all positions. He needs to be careful because Wyatt is dangerous as they come but Kerk should win by a td or so. I’m pissed I missed the quarters but the semis are the best round in wrestling and I can’t ****ing wait!!!

This is a solid AA level post. It would be a championship contender if there were paragraph breaks.

Obviously it's moot now, but I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about Mathews' behavior in the rideout periods. First he threw the leg in and just hung on when Beau stood in the first rideout (and hung there for probably a good 10 seconds with no attempt to return to the mat. Still no stalemate or stall call from the ref). Then in the second rideout, he hung right on the edge of the mat with Beau in a front headlock with absolutely no intention of trying to improve his position. Not illegal of course and probably not something that would draw a stall call in any other match, but wouldn't you think in a rideout period that the refs would be quick to call a stalemate to at least allow the more active wrestler a chance to score? Maybe just sour grapes (even though my guy won ultimately), but it really is disheartening to see some guys wrestle that way and get away with it (and yeah, I've seen him wrestle before and it's not even a tiny bit surprising to me).

Then the same Ref was determined to not give the takedown after all that bullshit. He finally called the takedown well after it should have been awarded (resulting in the silly Challenge Brick from the ASWP bench - it was a beyond obvious takedown and should have been called long before the very delayed call made by the Ref).

Refs are ruining the world my man.

Some very tough matches in the semi's,is know surprise. Really only see one mismatch and that's at 149. But murin took some piss &vinegar out of yani so you never know.

Reactions: mcpat

I think Kerk wins, but as someone else pointed out Hendrickson training at a mile and a half elevation has a freaking freakish huge gas tank. Get'er done early, don't let it go too late 3rd or OT.

Is it 7:00 yet? This will be the longest 2 hours of my life. Can't wait for the fireworks tonight. In particular, can't wait to see our freshmen. SVN gets a shot at a historic upset. I'm sure Yianni will be sweating a little if he's up by less than 10 going into the third, LOL. Then Haines vs Robb. That was the best final of the B1Gs and easily could be the best match of the semis as well. The next gen has arrived!

Is it 7:00 yet? This will be the longest 2 hours of my life. Can't wait for the fireworks tonight. In particular, can't wait to see our freshmen. SVN gets a shot at a historic upset. I'm sure Yianni will be sweating a little if he's up by less than 10 going into the third, LOL. Then Haines vs Robb. That was the best final of the B1Gs and easily could be the best match of the semis as well. The next gen has arrived!

You're really going to be bummed as the Semi's start at 8pm tonight.

Nice win MAx. Nice win Kerk

I'm firmly convinced there's something about the individuality of wrestling, where at any time it's just you and the opponent; nobody to back you up if you miss a tackle, a shot or throw a big fat hanging curve and the relentlessness required for the sport that produces great guys or complete a-holes.

Robb's behavior was a nice change from the headlines about a certain former 665 pound deadlifter.
Yeah, where is Bourbon n blues

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Kind of surprisingly, Warner seems to have found his "I give a shit". Wonder if removing the pressure of winning a title was what he needed.

I am sure he enjoyed his time in college, but it is shame he seems to not have enjoyed his wrestling career as much as he could/should have.
gee whiz!! where does he wrestle again and who are his coaches???

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel

Paragraphs my man.

Reactions: diggerpup
Unfortunately Kennedy reminds me of another Maranelli except not quite as good. He will have great regular seasons and then underperform at nationals. That brute style don’t work at nationals
LOL Maranelli was good??not in the tourney!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT