ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session I

Yes, I can properly evaluate wrestlers.
Lies No GIF

the only thing i can think of to explain it is they’re having technical issues getting the vid pulled up. all of the reviews are taking forever.
I’m not sure I heard wrong but during one of the opening matches it sounded like Shane was bragging on it taking under a minute to review a call. If he was, it certainly went downhill from there.. lol

Reactions: mcpat
I thought it happened in 2014…But I admittedly do not track such stats.

EDIT: Not 2014, duh…2016?
Sorry, @dunkej01 , I think my memory is faltering. I think PSU did it as recently as 2019. Based on the press releases, PSU appeared to lead after (or near the conclusion of) every session:

Session I: PSU 21.0, OhSt 15.5
Session II*: PSU 32.5, OhSt 25.0
Session III: PSU 80.0, OhSt 66.5
Session IV: PSU 120.5, OhSt 88.5
Session V*^: PSU 123.5, OhSt 95.5
Session VI: PSU 137.5, OhSt 96.5

* “Near the end of session”
^ PSU clinched title as of the writing

So much winning, much to lose track of. 😁

Overall great session. Got some bonus and good wins. I need to watch that SVN match again but this time with Byers on the call.
I was streaming Byers, talking to my daughter on the phone saying how Van Ness was in big trouble,when all of sudden I hear the Byers Bellow "He's got him on his back". From there he went into pandemonium mode. It was awesome.

Last edited:
I was streaming Byers talking to my daughter how Van Ness was in big trouble,when all of sudden I hear the Byers Bellow He's got him on his back". From there he went into pandemonium mode. It was awesome.
Is there a replay somewhere on here for that match

well time for Facundo to make a decision,is he going to go out and wrestle or keep screwing around some guys are just waiting to take his place may an ex high shool teammate!

• Haha
Reactions: JimNazium
well these replays are a joke you look at the video and make a decision!what am I missing?10 minutes later

I witnessed Stutzman up close at last year's MAC tournament and he's even more intense and high-strung than Brands. You can see Brands realized he'd ventured a bit too far.
I couldn’t figure out what his issue was?

Gavin Hoffman has had a strange career. Never really got any better. I know he AA’ed last year but it was from the 21 seed and this year he comes in as the 26 seed. Just didn’t develop at all at Ohio State
“Not how we would have handled it”.
-Tan Tom Ryan

R1 for PSU: 8-1 with 3 Falls and 2 Major Decisions.

Next matches:

1 RBY vs 17 Palmer
6 Bartlett vs 11 Carlson
12 Van Ness vs 5 Johnson
2 Haines vs 15 Wright
13 Facundo vs 4 Ramirez (wrestleback)
1 Starocci vs 17 Washington
3 Brooks vs 14 Feldkamp
9 Dean vs 8 Allred
3 Kervliet vs 14 Nevills

Any Chance to do it for Iowa This is great

125 Lee vs Medley (Michigan)
133 Teske vs Brown (Missouri) consi
141 Woods vs D’Emilio (Ohio St)
149 Murin vs Abas (Stanford)
157 Siebrecht vs winner of Lukez (Army) or Hill (Oklahoma) consi
165 Kennedy vs Amine (Michigan)
174 Brands vs Smith (Ohio St)
184 Assad vs Coleman (Iowa St)
197 Warner vs Elam (Missouri)
285 Cassioppi vs Gordon (UNI)

He should have just tagged you, the "Mad" signal

• Haha
Reactions: jmadden1998
I am not sure I saw Brands do anything wrong in that video? He clapped when the Buffalo's kid back was turned and I can't even hear what he said. Looked like something to Assad if anything. But idk, whatever happened maybe before the clip, it got the Buffalo coach heated.

Forgot to mention this in the morning. Hawkeye super fan Adam Felchers was on Willie's preview show and made the comment that D.Washington should antagonize Carter into throwing a punch so he gets dq'd...then goes on Stalemates live show this morning and says "people are saying" that same thing. It is him that appears to be spreading the rumor. He really is a d-bag.

Wouldn't mind Assad knocking off Coleman

125: 1 Lee vs 16 Medley
133: 23 Teske vs 26 Brown (wrestleback)
141: 1 Woods vs 17 D’Emilio
149: 8 Murin vs 9 Abas
157: 14 Siebrecht vs winner of 33 Lukez and 30 Hill (wrestleback)
165; 6 Kennedy vs 11 Amine
174: 11 Brands vs 6 Smith
184: 12 Assad vs 5 Coleman
197: 14 Warner vs 3 Elam
285: 4 Cassioppi vs 13 Gordon

• Love
Reactions: 5q
Does this mean Rutgers is no longer a top 10 team? cc: @matter7172
They did get 3 points, Iol. I looked back at Rutgers performances at B1Gs and realized I was sadly mistaken about their program. Here's what they have from 2016 on (year, place, points):

2016, 5, 106.5
2017, 8, 67.5
2018, 11, 42.5
2019, 8, 53.5
2020, 12, 28.5
2021, 10, 52
2022, 9, 41
2023, 11, 32

So clearly this is a program zooming to the top, despite what I may believe. How could I be so stupid not to recognize all the great strides Rutgers has made over the last 8 years.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
People may say they're good for the sport but the act has grown old.

They haven't chirped in Cael's direction since Tommy nearly had his bug and windshield moment at the 2010 Big10s. Not that there are many Buffalo Iowa match ups at nationals, but the boys probably won't be chirping towards Buffalo much. Their bullshyt does stop when other coaches tell them to knock it off.

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
All I hear is the Buffalo coach yelling at Brands. I guess you have better hearing than me if you heard Brands say something to instigate
He was first to tell The Buffalo Coach "What are you going to do about it?" The Buffalo Coach wasn't having any of that tough guy routine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT