ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session III

Unfortunately Kennedy reminds me of another Maranelli except not quite as good. He will have great regular seasons and then underperform at nationals. That brute style don’t work at nationals
Hey, it is pretty well know by now. If you want to be a champion find a way into the PSU room. If you want to go someplace that has a helluva wrestling history Iowa is the place for you.

ohhhh the freshman... holy cow, what a show!
RBY - under control. No issues with taking bottom. Seasoned vet. So glad to have been able to watch him since his first defensive flip against Lehigh!
Beau - yea boring and lucky but you make your own luck. He was the better wrestler based on action. Great job
SVN - thought he would be more prepared based on Md match yesterday. Makes me think his Knee(s) are sore since he can't scramble. Great come back. Indy coaches thought he was OB when he dove for the takedown. backpoints were true. But a pretty manly ride after that!
Levi - can't call it a pin when the ref is right there. But Adonian died, that is for sure - Levi looked pretty fresh.
Star - seemed to take it easy after the 1st... again - has to wrestle on the line
AB - allowed to be pushed to the edge and then hang there..... awful
Kerk -
Dean - I think he can bear Nico (pitt)... just bad match up with the Nebbie kid.
AF - everyone knows 165 is killer. What are the odds all PSU kids wrestle up to and over par? He just has to much action on the edges. Alex is fine.

Other thoughts
Lee - if you're strong enough to break his grip and he can't tilt you - you'll be in the match in the 3rd.
Murin - always a scrapper (can't take the Pa out of him)

Hey, it is pretty well know by now. If you want to be a champion find a way into the PSU room. If you want to go someplace that has a helluva wrestling history Iowa is the place for you.

I would think Okie State if you're looking for history... - they have way more titles than Iowa.

Next year get ESPN+ if you can. Never miss a Penn State match. Best to have laptop and tv with espn app

The only way. Big plus you don't have to listen to announcers and watch commercials.
The problem is, I'm in the middle of dressage, eventing, jumping, and reenactment season with horses. That doesn't count vet work I do. I also have Rolex and Devon coming up, as well as European shows. Spring is a bitch. Why I rarely get home to fly fish.

It is way more ancient than even Iowa's.
What's really the difference between Oklahoma State's and Iowa's though? The elite recruits who are deciding these days weren't are too long to probably even remember the 2008-2010 run.

I’m guessing this might put me in the minority here, but I’ll say it after reading earlier comments about him. I’ll be rooting for Murin to AA. He seems like a good kid and I hate the idea of someone putting in as much as he has and always getting to the blood round and never finding a W…good luck to him, I hope he breaks through!

9 Dean vs 18 Harvey
R16

Harvey in on a single. Gets the finish. Quick escape. 2-1 Harvey. Dean with a shot. Harvey reshoots. In deep. Dean gains upper hand. Dean finishes! 3-2 Dean. Stopped for PD. Restart. Harvey to his feet. Dean working hard to ride. Another PD stoppage. Dean gets out of position trying to hold on to not give up escape from his butt and gives up reversal. 4-3 Harvey. Escape makes it 4-4. Period ends.

Dean takes bottom. Quick escape. 5-4 Dean. Dean low shot. Finishes. 7-4 Dean. Stalling for holding on to leg. Almost got in trouble on his back. Dean uses every trick in the book to finish period on top. 7-4 after two, 46 secs RT.

Harvey chooses bottom. Really struggling to stay with him, OOB, 1:34 to go. RT over a minute. Finally flattens him. Finally able to get heavy on top. RT over 2 mins. Locked. Has to give escape with 30 secs to go. 7-5 but riding is locked. Late desperation TD countered by Dean. Dean wins 10-5. On to the blood round!

Last edited:
I’m guessing this might put me in the minority here, but I’ll say it after reading earlier comments about him. I’ll be rooting for Murin to AA. He seems like a good kid and I hate the idea of someone putting in as much as he has and always getting to the blood round and never finding a W…good luck to him, I hope he breaks through!
Phillippi too, just made his 4th blood round. Can't imagine 4x finishing R12.

What's really the difference between Oklahoma State's and Iowa's though? The elite recruits who are deciding these days weren't are too long to probably even remember the 2008-2010 run.
Difference is talking shyt on Okie State is no where nearly as satisfying as talking shyt on the Hawks.

Great match by Dean. Solid 10-5 win. Harvey looked huge and had some funky moves on bottom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT