ADVERTISEMENT

2018 B1G Championship Session 2 Thread

I don’t care whether there was a petition with a thousand signatures. The beauty of message boards is that you can create separate threads for disparate topics. In this case, I was in a thread about wrestling and at no point was there an indication that scores of the basketball game would be included in this thread. Nobody died... I’m still going to watch the game, but there just isn’t any reasonable excuse for doing this.

IMHO, you're going overboard. I've asked in the past that folks not put a score in the subject line, for those that are planning to watch the event on DVR later. However, there isn't a general expectation that events taking place simultaneously will not be discussed. And as Chris mentioned, there was a mention very early in the thread that there would be BB game updates. So your statement that "I was in a thread about wrestling and at no point was there an indication that scores of the basketball game would be included in this thread" is inaccurate.

I don’t care whether there was a petition with a thousand signatures. The beauty of message boards is that you can create separate threads for disparate topics. In this case, I was in a thread about wrestling and at no point was there an indication that scores of the basketball game would be included in this thread. Nobody died... I’m still going to watch the game, but there just isn’t any reasonable excuse for doing this.
Did you happen to notice a thread titled "Hoops wins vs. tOSU?" In it, we discussed hoops, hockey and Saquon Barkley. Or how about one regarding the departure of a certain wrestler last summer? That on included info on vacationing in Iceland. Expecting this board to keep your idea of unwritten message board rules is simply unrealistic.

At no point was there an indication that bellyaching about trivial matters would be included in this thread ... such is the internet.

Yeah, stay of sites with random news feeds, but when on a message board you have the ability to pick which threads to view. I wouldn’t open threads mentioning Chambers or anything basketball related, because you should expect for comments about the outcome. Heck, when people, including me, post about the latest movies or TV show episodes, we use the term spoiler alert to warn people that haven’t seen the movie or tv show.
step away from the keyboard

Reactions: kevin310
Lee looked flat. I'll give Carr credit. I saw his match against Chad Red earlier this year and it was similar. Carr did what Red normally does and got to his legs first. Kind of like in boxing, an agressive fighter can be slowed by being first. Nick should never choose down again this season. He needs to do better from the bottom, but when given the choice, he should go neutral every time.

Nick is very good, but if a wrestler can neutralize his attacks and keep him from getting to the single leg, Nick can look ordinary at times. Fortunately that's not too often, but Nick needs to find a way in those situations to win a different way.

Lee's biggest issue in that match has allowing Carr to get to his legs so easily and giving up a few way-too-easy TDs.

His next biggest problem was not being able to get out from bottom.

His third biggest issue was being unable to finish on a couple good shots. He couldn't finish cleanly and Carr was able to reach around, grab ankles, and get a stalemate.

These have been recurring problems, but especially the first two. Agree that Lee should probably not choose bottom from here on out this season.

Reactions: PA Power
Someone smarter and more sober please tell me who wins given this minus bonus

Tomato 1st Kuhn done
Keener 7th Pletcher who can't find Carton still gets 2nd
McKenna 1st Lee 3rd
Zain 1st Hayes 4th
Nolf done Jordan 2nd
Cenzo 2nd Campbell done
Hall 1st Jordan 3rd
Nickal 1st Martin 2nd
Shakur 1st Moore 2nd
Snyder 1st Nevills 3rd

Iowa could end the season without a Big Ten champ.

Read that again and let it sink in.

1-3 in semis, and two of their favorite kids get stacked.

Meanwhile, Tan Tom has 7 in the finals and Michigan looks strong.

HR should stop worrying about Bael, Carl, Slush Funds and rich uncles — and start looking at themselves in the mirror.

HR should stop worrying about Bael, Carl, Slush Funds and rich uncles — and start looking at themselves in the mirror.

Funny, haven't seen the usual Hawk fans over here today. Must be busy calling compliance offices.

Yea, Kemdog getting stuck must have been a really bitter pill to swallow...

Reactions: diggerpup
Hey, some of us have DVR’d the basketball game and are trying to watch later... posting a result or score randomly in another thread is a completely bush league move.
While I agree with @Tom McAndrew point about @Ranger Dan going overboard, I do agree with @Ranger Dan that scores should be placed in a separate thread so it doesn't ruin the fun for those that relish watching the complete game.

By placing the score in a separate thread clearly identified as "Purdue vs PSU basketball game updates, you become helpful as opposed to being a spoiler prick.

Tomato 1st Kuhn done
McKenna 1st Lee 3rd
Zain 1st Hayes 4th
Nolf done Jordan 2nd
Cenzo 2nd Campbell done
Hall 1st Jordan 3rd
Nickal 1st Martin 2nd
Shakur 1st Moore 2nd
Snyder 1st Nevills 3rd
I believe tOSU by 8.5

Last edited:

Tomato 1st Kuhn done
McKenna 1st Lee 3rd
Zain 1st Hayes 4th
Nolf done Jordan 2nd
Cenzo 2nd Campbell done
Hall 1st Jordan 3rd
Nickal 1st Martin 2nd
Shakur 1st Moore 2nd
Snyder 1st Nevills 3rd

I'm not up to doing the math, but if they get 3 champs to our 4 we have no chance. We pretty much have to go perfect and they can't have more than 2 champs IMO ... even then we probably need bonus points.

While I agree with @Tom McAndrew point about @Ranger Dan going overboard, I do agree with @Ranger Dan that scores should be placed in a separate thread so it doesn't ruin the fun for those that relish watching the complete game.

By placing the score in a separate thread clearly identified as "Purdue vs PSU basketball game updates, you become helpful as opposed to being a spoiler prick.

Perhaps we need a BWI posting rulebook....I certainly don't want to be a prick ;)

They would have to face the inevitable truth that Dan Gable was the real key to Iowa's success and that Brands' three titles occurred when Dan Gable was officially or unofficially on the coaching staff. Not going to happen.

Reactions: lionlover
Through the years I’ve been burned so many times by people “spoiling” that I’ve accepted that it is MY responsibility and no one else’s. Chance nothing.....if you don’t want to know the scores then avoid ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that could possibly play spoiler.

I remember listening to Ben Askren’s podcast two years ago and Ben thought Bo Nickal’s lack of leg attacks kept him from being elite. Bo took care of that in that off-season. Nick Lee will probably do the same. He is a small 41 and that does not help his bottom game. Hope he gets a lot of work with Zain this summer and it pays dividends down the road. OSU mostly crushed it today. Let them enjoy it - PSU should be the team with the best top to bottom lineup next season. Til then there is one more opportunity to to celebrate...

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
So, as I understand the logic here, if we are recording another PSU event for later viewing, and don’t want to know the result, it is our responsibility to avoid participating in this message board conversation during the wrestling event for fear of spoilers

Seems kind of unwelcoming.

Reactions: lionlover
So, as I understand the logic here, if we are recording another PSU event for later viewing, and don’t want to know the result, it is our responsibility to avoid participating in this message board conversation during the wrestling event for fear of spoilers

Seems kind of unwelcoming.
No. What I’m saying is not having someone “spoil” an event for me is important to me...not to you or anyone else here. That being the case, I’m not going to be dumb enough (for the millionth time in my life) to trust that no one is gonna spoil a result. It’s just how I’ve trained myself to think because I’ve been burned so many times in the past. Shit, I even tell myself people get off on “spoiling” events for others just so I don’t slip up and trust that it’s not going to happen this time...

I seem to detect a hint of gloominess about PSU’s results today by some here. I for one am pretty stoked about how things went. Sure, there are a couple of weight classes where our guys could’ve done better. But this is pretty close to the result I expected. We’ve known for a long time that B1Gs would be an uphill battle this year vs tOSU. Until the positive recent developments at 141 and 197 for us, an NCAA title also looked like a long shot. That’s all changed, especially with the definitive proof today that Nolf is back in play.

As others have noted, B1Gs is a dry run to get ready for the tourney our team really cares about. It’s like the Criterium du Dauphanie in professional cycling. The most elite cycling teams use that race as a tune-up for the big dance — le Tour de France. It’s a nice little bonus if they actually win the Criterium along the way, but the real prize is Le Tour. So, if you’re feeling discouraged, go say 3 “hail Caels” and get ready for some more exciting wrestling tune-ups by our guys tomorrow.

P.S. Hats off to tOSU on wrestling a great tourney so far.

1uf27Y7.gif

Anyone have the bonus breakdown for OSU v. PSU?
My head tells me OSU may be leading, but I don't know. Just feels like OSU is closing that gap (seems like OSU got more than expected, and PSU less, imo)

Also, RE: Spilers. Some message boards actually have a spoiler feature - where you have to click on the spoiler button in the message to see the part of the message that is a spoiler.
I'm guessing this board sw doesn't have that feature, but it would be nice if it did.

I wasn't really concerned last year after the B1G tournament and I'm not concerned now. The B1G tournament is a different animal and tOSU has a really good team. tOSU guys are going to have to perform like they did yesterday at NCAAs and that's going to be tough. I doubt Micah Jordan pins a guy on Kemerer's level again. Pletcher is going to have a real tough time against better competition at 133, too.

I'm still confident PSU wins the NCAA title this year.

Anybody that thought we were the favorites to win Big 10s if Nolf didn't wrestle the entire tournament hasn't been paying attention. We all knew it was going to be tough and it's even tougher now with a few upsets both ways. Regardless, we need to keep our eye on the prize at the end of the tunnel. Bigs is just a warm-up act.

Reactions: diggerpup
133 and 141 are 2 weights where the Big Ten is relatively weak. 133 and 141 are 2 weights where the Bucks have made hay.

At 133, to reach the finals Pletcher needed only to get past one ranked wrestler (McKee #13). Reaching the semis at NCAAs will be a bigger task.

At 141, Limmex (#14) is the toughest wrestler McKenna faced on his way to the finals. He will have to wade through a much deeper field at NCAAs.

I'm not making excuses, the Buckeyes have out-wrestled us to this point. Just pointing out that the NCAAs will be a different animal. Our 5 finalists + Nolf will still stand a good chance of reaching the finals. McKenna, Pletcher and M Jordan will have a hard time getting past the quarters, IMO.

Can’t we still win the Big’s?

NATO wins 125

Pleatcher, McKenna, MJ lose in the finals.

Zain, VJ, Hall win

Bo beats Myles

Shak beats Moore

Coon beats Superman

Lee takes 3rd

Wouldn’t that win it for PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT