ADVERTISEMENT

Wilkes Open

But what if we take our eyes off the prize? What bad thing would happen? ;)

xVxYi80.gif

Welp, every attached wrestler is now showing up as "TBD." Yeah, they ain't showing. Either Cael read my post and decided to scrap it or it was a registration miscommunication to begin with. More than likely the former.

Welp, every attached wrestler is now showing up as "TBD." Yeah, they ain't showing. Either Cael read my post and decided to scrap it or it was a registration miscommunication to begin with. More than likely the former.
I noticed that this afternoon and posted about TBD

Roar mentioned in another thread about some of the wrestlers going to the Wilkes Open. I figured that this news deserves a thread of its own. Here's the list of who is currently registered for Penn State (attached/unattached is last column):

1 125 Brandon Meredith Penn State Yes
125 Devin Schnupp Penn State Yes
125 Baylor Shunk Penn State No
125 Brody Teske Penn State Yes
133 Roman Bravo-Young Penn State Yes
133 Austin Clabaugh Penn State Yes
141 Joey Blumer Penn State Yes
141 Dom Giannangeli Penn State Yes
149 Terrell Barraclough Penn State No
149 Luke Gardner Penn State Yes
149 Scott Obendorfer Penn State Yes
149 Jarod Verkleeren Penn State Yes
157 Brady Berge Penn State Yes
157 Paul Feite Penn State Yes
157 Bo Pipher Penn State Yes
165 Konner Kraeszig Penn State Yes
165 Joe Lee Penn State No
174 Mark Hall II Penn State Yes
174 Carter Starocci Penn State No
184 Donovon Ball Penn State No
184 Creighton Edsell Penn State Yes
184 Shakur Rasheed Penn State Yes
197 Kyle Conel Penn State Yes
197 Austin Hoopes Penn State Yes
197 Joe Kurtz Penn State No
285 Seth Nevills Penn State No

Reference here:
http://register.gimpsoftware.com/Reports/teamCollege21.htm
Why no bear claw at 149

Reactions: Dogwelder
PSU list revised, now:
125 Shunk
149 Bearclaw
165 Lee
174 Starocci
184 Ball
197 Kurtz
285 Snacks

No starters listed.

PSU list revised, now:
125 Shunk
149 Bearclaw
165 Lee
174 Starocci
184 Ball
197 Kurtz
285 Snacks

No starters listed.
Not using up there last date either, wonder if the scuffle comes into play for guys not wrestling at the senior nationals .

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I’m really curious what changed. Cael was pretty candid about sending everyone not going to Texas. and now it looks like Joe Lee isn’t going to the scuffle?

Roar mentioned in another thread about some of the wrestlers going to the Wilkes Open. I figured that this news deserves a thread of its own. Here's the list of who is currently registered for Penn State (attached/unattached is last column):

1 125 Brandon Meredith Penn State Yes
125 Devin Schnupp Penn State Yes
125 Baylor Shunk Penn State No
125 Brody Teske Penn State Yes
133 Roman Bravo-Young Penn State Yes
133 Austin Clabaugh Penn State Yes
141 Joey Blumer Penn State Yes
141 Dom Giannangeli Penn State Yes
149 Terrell Barraclough Penn State No
149 Luke Gardner Penn State Yes
149 Scott Obendorfer Penn State Yes
149 Jarod Verkleeren Penn State Yes
157 Brady Berge Penn State Yes
157 Paul Feite Penn State Yes
157 Bo Pipher Penn State Yes
165 Konner Kraeszig Penn State Yes
165 Joe Lee Penn State No
174 Mark Hall II Penn State Yes
174 Carter Starocci Penn State No
184 Donovon Ball Penn State No
184 Creighton Edsell Penn State Yes
184 Shakur Rasheed Penn State Yes
197 Kyle Conel Penn State Yes
197 Austin Hoopes Penn State Yes
197 Joe Kurtz Penn State No
285 Seth Nevills Penn State No

Reference here:
http://register.gimpsoftware.com/Reports/teamCollege21.htm
Brooks ????

Beard being the "only healthy" 197 lb do you think he maybe wrestling for that spot at the scuffle ?
I don't think that's why he's going to the Scuffle. I think the plan is for Shak to be our 197, assuming he stays healthy. I think only if Shak gets hurt again, would they consider pulling Beard's shirt. I'm counting on Shak not getting hurt again!

Makes sense, if not, why not just go to Wilkes with the rest of the team?

Edit to include “ only if shak CANT go at 197”

Last edited:
So RBY, Berge, Conel and Hall are not registered for any events over the holiday, correct?

Last edited:
Makes sense, if not, why not just go to Wilkes with the rest of the team?

Edit to include “ only if shak CANT go at 197”
Also per coaches show , shack may be ready by mid. Jan. Now is mid Jan. The 10/12 Or the following week. Also has not been cleared to wrestle, so there's that.

Hmmm, might still be worth the 3 1/2 hour drive if I tie in a trip to the self proclaimed Pizza capital of the world (Old Forge).
Self-proclaimed and deserved. If you do go to one of the more popular places (Arcaro's, Ghigarelli's etc) you may want to reserve your pizza in advance. Last time I tried to do this last minute, there was a 4 hour wait...

Reactions: breno14 and TangSoo
better competition I assume

He could have seven or eight of the top 25 ranked 197s in his bracket in Chattanooga. His toughest competition at Wilkes would be a two-time D3 All American. That might be enough of a challenge for a certain Iowa 133 pounder, but I think Beard needs to be pushed a little harder.

He could have seven or eight of the top 25 ranked 197s in his bracket in Chattanooga. His toughest competition at Wilkes would be a two-time D3 All American. That might be enough of a challenge for a certain Iowa 133 pounder, but I think Beard needs to be pushed a little harder.
That's a good 197 bracket at the Scuffle. Geer and Traxler are both very likely AAs this year. Adams looks good. Laird and Pagano are solid.

It's unplanned. Just happened this way. Gopsusports doesn't have it listed either.
Wrestling Rules 101, thought y'all might be interested.

(Paraphrased, my words) ...
-- Teams are allowed 16 competition dates.
-- Rostered wrestlers are allowed to wrestle 16 competition dates.
-- Penn State has 15 competition dates on its schedule.
-- Do the math (16-15=??).
-- Any competition (dual or tournament) where 7 or more wrestlers are "attached", it counts as a competition date.
-- With 19 guys on the registration currently (it will change) listed as "attached", this tournament shall count as a competition date, both for the team, and for the individual wrestlers.

How does the covering of expenses work in this case?
-If more than [6?] rostered guys go to an event w/expenses paid, then it counts as a comp date [I think?].
-Originally many were going to go to Wilkes, but apparently not now.
-Since the Wilkes Open wasn't listed on the original sched, could PSU still have covered expenses (after the fact) since they have 1 more date to play with?.
-Maybe they could not cover $$ for some reason and that's why a bunch bailed?
-Is this a technicality of some sort?
-Just curious

Overall, I get why PSU started w/only 15 dates [Oly yr, flexibility for individuals over the break, etc]. But something about the news of many going to Wilkes turning to just a handful seems weird. What up?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT