ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting match ups tonight

Austin Gomez only beats Graham Rooks 3-2. Kasak teched Rooks in the dual. Gomez didn’t look good last week against Ridge and this isn’t a convincing win. I wonder what’s going on with him
Guys been around the block a few times. Plenty of injuries. Hell … I remember seeing him down at the Southern Scuffle against RBY when he still had his shirt on. He’s gotta be tired.

NC State vs Cornell

Coaches rankings used.

125 #23 Camacho vs #15 Ungar
133 #5 Orine vs #3 Arujau
141 #4 Jack vs #11 Cornella
149 #4 Arrington vs #20 Fernandez
157 #14 Scott vs #7 Shapiro
165 #14 Fields vs #3 Ramirez
174 #31 Faison vs UR Baker
184 #8 Fishback vs #6 Foca
197 #2 Hidlay vs #7 Cardenas
285 #12 Trephan vs #16 Fernandes

Minnesota vs Wisconsin

125 #12 McKee vs #3 Barnett
149 #18 Roberts vs #14 Zargo
184 #5 Salazar vs #16 Liegel

Maryland vs Rutgers

133 #19 Brown vs #8 Shawver
141 #21 Miller vs #19 Moore
197 #5 Smith vs #18 Poznanski (if he goes, been in concussion protocol)
285 #10 Slavikouski vs #27 Nevills

Michigan vs Indiana

141 #10 Lemley vs #23 Fongaro
149 UR Gomez vs #15 Rooks
157 #13 Lewan vs UR Brayton Lee (if he goes this could be a match where no one shoots until SV)
165 #10 Amine vs #23 Lillard
174 #3 Griffith vs #15 Washington

Harvard vs Columbia

174 #5 Canigliaro vs #18 Wolak

Virginia Tech vs Pitt

133 #11 Latona vs #22 Santaniello
141 #13 Crook vs #16 Matthews
165 #21 Brady vs #17 Heller
174 #2 Lewis vs #16 Augustine
197 #25 Smith vs #16 Stout

Ohio St vs Michigan St

141 #2 Mendez vs #27 Hamdan
165 #15 Hepner vs #9 Fish
184 #28 Ry. Rogotzke vs #18 Malczewski (if this doesn’t end in a fall I will be shocked)
I grew up in Boston in the seventies and watching the Red Sox. I still know most of the names of the line ups from that era. The 1978 Yankees too (they might have been the most entertaining team I ever saw until the Cael era at PSU). There was a player from that time called Tony Conigliaro. An outfielder from the Boston area. He had the kind of name an elementary age kid loved to say. His career was cut short by getting hit by a pitch and would die young but he was really loved. Whenever I see that there is a Conigliaro wrestling at Harvard I hope he is part of that family and that they are having a new chapter in a new sport.

Lunatic is right. He does things you were taught in middle school not to do…and they somehow work. As a true freshman he has 15 wins and 13 of those wins are by pin!
As I commented before, a pinner is a pinner. They are willing to take risk. Always scary in tournaments.

Reactions: District four
NC State vs Cornell

Coaches rankings used.

125 #23 Camacho vs #15 Ungar
133 #5 Orine vs #3 Arujau
141 #4 Jack vs #11 Cornella
149 #4 Arrington vs #20 Fernandez
157 #14 Scott vs #7 Shapiro
165 #14 Fields vs #3 Ramirez
174 #31 Faison vs UR Baker
184 #8 Fishback vs #6 Foca
197 #2 Hidlay vs #7 Cardenas
285 #12 Trephan vs #16 Fernandes

Minnesota vs Wisconsin

125 #12 McKee vs #3 Barnett
149 #18 Roberts vs #14 Zargo
184 #5 Salazar vs #16 Liegel

Maryland vs Rutgers

133 #19 Brown vs #8 Shawver
141 #21 Miller vs #19 Moore
197 #5 Smith vs #18 Poznanski (if he goes, been in concussion protocol)
285 #10 Slavikouski vs #27 Nevills

Michigan vs Indiana

141 #10 Lemley vs #23 Fongaro
149 UR Gomez vs #15 Rooks
157 #13 Lewan vs UR Brayton Lee (if he goes this could be a match where no one shoots until SV)
165 #10 Amine vs #23 Lillard
174 #3 Griffith vs #15 Washington

Harvard vs Columbia

174 #5 Canigliaro vs #18 Wolak

Virginia Tech vs Pitt

133 #11 Latona vs #22 Santaniello
141 #13 Crook vs #16 Matthews
165 #21 Brady vs #17 Heller
174 #2 Lewis vs #16 Augustine
197 #25 Smith vs #16 Stout

Ohio St vs Michigan St

141 #2 Mendez vs #27 Hamdan
165 #15 Hepner vs #9 Fish
184 #28 Ry. Rogotzke vs #18 Malczewski (if this doesn’t end in a fall I will be shocked)
Re: Sergio Lemley (UM) bio states "Uncle, Angel Escobedo, is head coach of the Indiana wrestling program" Interesting.

Lewan has wrestled 25 overtime matches (19-6) ... this doesn't count the 4 he wrestled as an RS Fr.

He's wrestled 39 matches where the winning score was 3 pts or less and 53 with a winning score of 4 pts or less.

There must be some records in there somewhere.
Mesenbrink would have him DQ’d for stalling in the first period. LOL.

Reactions: creamery freak
Josh Saunders going at 141 for Cornell. What happened to him. He was a big time recruit in high school but hasn’t really done anything in college. He is beating #4 Jack 4-2 right now though. Would be a pretty big upset

Jack with a late td and near fall to pull it out and win 7-4. Got the winning td with :20 remaining
Was behind Yanni and then got jerked around by Cornell admin. Hoping he has a good freestyle career in the near future, but otherwise wrestling got him an Ivy degree so hard to complain about that.

Reactions: zzs006
Oh come on, we're talking about Lewan here. There is no amount of points that would entice him to take a shot.

Make a takedown 25 points and thus an immediate tech fall? He's still not shooting until OT, if then.
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Watched the Cornell vs NC State video tonight after it was posted on YouTube. NC State has a very good dual meet team that would match up well against Penn State. Would have been a good one if they were on this year’s schedule.

Watched the Cornell vs NC State video tonight after it was posted on YouTube. NC State has a very good dual meet team that would match up well against Penn State. Would have been a good one if they were on this year’s schedule.
Do they have any outright favorites over PSU? 133 with the way Aaron has looked this year. Aaron beat him last year despite losing the TD battle. TDs being 3 now wouldn't help his cause especially since he hasn't looked his best. Maybe 184? I still think that is a tossup.

I grew up in Boston in the seventies and watching the Red Sox. I still know most of the names of the line ups from that era. The 1978 Yankees too (they might have been the most entertaining team I ever saw until the Cael era at PSU). There was a player from that time called Tony Conigliaro. An outfielder from the Boston area. He had the kind of name an elementary age kid loved to say. His career was cut short by getting hit by a pitch and would die young but he was really loved. Whenever I see that there is a Conigliaro wrestling at Harvard I hope he is part of that family and that they are having a new chapter in a new sport.
yea back in the day Reds Bosox great great series!

Do they have any outright favorites over PSU? 133 with the way Aaron has looked this year. Aaron beat him last year despite losing the TD battle. TDs being 3 now wouldn't help his cause especially since he hasn't looked his best. Maybe 184? I still think that is a tossup.
I’m not saying that NC State could beat Penn State in a dual. It’s just that they have good wrestlers at a lot of our best weights. We wouldn’t be getting bonus points where we would normally expect to see them.

Eric Barnett v Joey Cruz
Cruz wrestled hard but Barnett just the better wrestler. 8-0 Barnett

Nicolar Rivera v Brody Teske
Teske with some quick backs on Rivera early in the 1st.
Teske definitely looking for a fall today.
Teske with the TF in the 2nd.

Felix Lettini v Real Woods.
Lettini has nothing for Woods.
Woods with the fall in the 2nd

Last edited:
Reactions: WildTurk
19 Joseph Zargo v 8 Caleb Rathjen
Rathjen up 4-0 in the 3rd and hurt his knee. Zargo about to get 3 when Rathjen Desanto'd it.

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
Austin Gomez only beats Graham Rooks 3-2. Kasak teched Rooks in the dual. Gomez didn’t look good last week against Ridge and this isn’t a convincing win. I wonder what’s going on with him
wasn’t rooks the one who beat him at big tens last year? might be a particularly tough match up, but gomez definitely isn’t firing on all cylinders right now.

also I said at the time of the Kasak match, there aren’t many guys more volatile than rooks. i highly doubt that’s a tech fall if they wrestle again and rooks winning would surprise, but not shock me.

Luke Mechler v Jared Franek
Believe it or not, Franek shooting and scoring.
Franek wins by MD 17-5

Reactions: danoftw
you know zargo would have still been losing after that?
He'd have been down 4-3 and on top against a guy who was gassing. He cried to get a stoppage which preserved his 4-0 lead and let him catch his breath against a guy who was pressing the action. That stoppage has a MASSIVE effect on the outcome.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT