ADVERTISEMENT

Wilkes Open

It's just @LemonPie getting a little off the rails, as he is apt to do occasionally. He's does have a name to live up to after all.

Every once in a while he throws out a take that I think even he thinks better if upon reflection. I hope.​

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I'm just glad they're getting Mat time and if I don't have a holiday commitment I can drive 1 1/2 hours and watch the new guys. It's better than watching my NY Jets.
5 years ago I went to East Stroudsburg Open to watch the new guys and happened to see a kid by the name of Nolf dominate. Also saw a raw Cassar get hammered from top by a kid from Penn. How time's have changed.
Cael said the schedule would be different for this year. Lighten up Lemon Pie.

Agree. I'm sure most of us would have preferred to have seen the team go to the Scuffle again this season.

But I also get our coaching staff accommodating guys on the team that have international free style aspirations and want to get to the US Open. This flexibility has to help in recruiting world class athletes like AB and Kerk. Perhaps this approach kept our guys from taking an Olympic shirt. If this schedule is the best way we can field a team that can make a serious run in March, and also help recruit world class talent, then I'm on board.

And say what you will about the quality of the talent at Wilkes. But for those of us who don't have Flo and can't get to Tennessee, a short ride to catch our guys at Wilkes is a great opportunity.

Last edited:
Wrestling Rules 101, thought y'all might be interested.

(Paraphrased, my words) ...
-- Teams are allowed 16 competition dates.
-- Rostered wrestlers are allowed to wrestle 16 competition dates.
-- Penn State has 15 competition dates on its schedule.
-- Do the math (16-15=??).
-- Any competition (dual or tournament) where 7 or more wrestlers are "attached", it counts as a competition date.
-- With 19 guys on the registration currently (it will change) listed as "attached", this tournament shall count as a competition date, both for the team, and for the individual wrestlers.

Missed the deadline, or told there was no room left?

I am not certain....but I did find a copy of the letter:

Dear Carl:

Thank you for your recent inquiry asking to enter the Iowa City Duals......AGAIN. However...as I have stated repeatedly in answers to all your other requests.....these Red-Headed Step Children are OURS alone.....no sharing. Please stop asking!
Sincerely,
Tom

PS: "Stand Up and Say That.....Oh.....Nevermind" Isn't funny anymore....never was.....it is really pissing off Terry.....please stop.

I believe that's Cael's job

Schedule is a joke. Bringing 3 or 4 guys to Fort Worth and dumping the rest off at a JV tournament solidifies it. If all PSU wrestlers went unseeded at NCAAs, I'd be fine with it.
Ridiculous statement! In Cael WE trust!

I may make the 2 hour trip. Do you have to purchase tickets in advance, and what is the seating like @ the venue? I was at the Hitchcock Memorial last year, and was really disappointed with the lack of seating. Hoping this is not the same deal.

Schedule is a joke. Bringing 3 or 4 guys to Fort Worth and dumping the rest off at a JV tournament solidifies it. If all PSU wrestlers went unseeded at NCAAs, I'd be fine with it.

I'm sure you'll make an exception for Cassar since he's already beaten the #4, #5 and #10 wrestlers this season.

Reactions: diggerpup

Luckily unseeded wrestlers at NCAAs doesn't exist anymore!

I may make the 2 hour trip. Do you have to purchase tickets in advance, and what is the seating like @ the venue? I was at the Hitchcock Memorial last year, and was really disappointed with the lack of seating. Hoping this is not the same deal.

expect the same..... last time I was there was when the Alton’s were redshirting, I think, but really not much seating. Tickets at the door, unless there is a big demand with us coming. I know a Wilkes asst coach, I’ll reach out to him and confirm tickets.

Reactions: hlstone
Wrestling Rules 101, thought y'all might be interested.

(Paraphrased, my words) ...
-- Teams are allowed 16 competition dates.
-- Rostered wrestlers are allowed to wrestle 16 competition dates.
-- Penn State has 15 competition dates on its schedule.
-- Do the math (16-15=??).
-- Any competition (dual or tournament) where 7 or more wrestlers are "attached", it counts as a competition date.
-- With 19 guys on the registration currently (it will change) listed as "attached", this tournament shall count as a competition date, both for the team, and for the individual wrestlers.

What are the variations of competition dates?

Two things: I can't seem to find any reference to this being broadcast (it's not listed on Flo and didn't see any thing at the Wilke's site). Does anyone know if there will be video?

And, why is this not on the PSU schedule if it's an actual competition date?

Two things: I can't seem to find any reference to this being broadcast (it's not listed on Flo and didn't see any thing at the Wilke's site). Does anyone know if there will be video?

It's unplanned. Just happened this way. Gopsusports doesn't have it listed either.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
they decided Sunday after the match who was going

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT