ADVERTISEMENT

Wilkes Open

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
Roar mentioned in another thread about some of the wrestlers going to the Wilkes Open. I figured that this news deserves a thread of its own. Here's the list of who is currently registered for Penn State (attached/unattached is last column):

1 125 Brandon Meredith Penn State Yes
125 Devin Schnupp Penn State Yes
125 Baylor Shunk Penn State No
125 Brody Teske Penn State Yes
133 Roman Bravo-Young Penn State Yes
133 Austin Clabaugh Penn State Yes
141 Joey Blumer Penn State Yes
141 Dom Giannangeli Penn State Yes
149 Terrell Barraclough Penn State No
149 Luke Gardner Penn State Yes
149 Scott Obendorfer Penn State Yes
149 Jarod Verkleeren Penn State Yes
157 Brady Berge Penn State Yes
157 Paul Feite Penn State Yes
157 Bo Pipher Penn State Yes
165 Konner Kraeszig Penn State Yes
165 Joe Lee Penn State No
174 Mark Hall II Penn State Yes
174 Carter Starocci Penn State No
184 Donovon Ball Penn State No
184 Creighton Edsell Penn State Yes
184 Shakur Rasheed Penn State Yes
197 Kyle Conel Penn State Yes
197 Austin Hoopes Penn State Yes
197 Joe Kurtz Penn State No
285 Seth Nevills Penn State No

Reference here:
http://register.gimpsoftware.com/Reports/teamCollege21.htm

Roar mentioned in another thread about some of the wrestlers going to the Wilkes Open. I figured that this news deserves a thread of its own. Here's the list of who is currently registered for Penn State (attached/unattached is last column):

1 125 Brandon Meredith Penn State Yes
125 Devin Schnupp Penn State Yes
125 Baylor Shunk Penn State No
125 Brody Teske Penn State Yes
133 Roman Bravo-Young Penn State Yes
133 Austin Clabaugh Penn State Yes
141 Joey Blumer Penn State Yes
141 Dom Giannangeli Penn State Yes
149 Terrell Barraclough Penn State No
149 Luke Gardner Penn State Yes
149 Scott Obendorfer Penn State Yes
149 Jarod Verkleeren Penn State Yes
157 Brady Berge Penn State Yes
157 Paul Feite Penn State Yes
157 Bo Pipher Penn State Yes
165 Konner Kraeszig Penn State Yes
165 Joe Lee Penn State No
174 Mark Hall II Penn State Yes
174 Carter Starocci Penn State No
184 Donovon Ball Penn State No
184 Creighton Edsell Penn State Yes
184 Shakur Rasheed Penn State Yes
197 Kyle Conel Penn State Yes
197 Austin Hoopes Penn State Yes
197 Joe Kurtz Penn State No
285 Seth Nevills Penn State No

Reference here:
http://register.gimpsoftware.com/Reports/teamCollege21.htm
Wow. That's quite the long list of guys going. Nice to see Sugar on there.

Reactions: breno14
If he's moving up to 197, less nice to see him weighing in at 184

No Nick Lee, Cenzo, Brooks, or Cassar ... at least not yet.

Busiello also going -- under Unrostered.

Reactions: Ski

Cenzo, Brooks, and Cassar are probably going to Senior Nationals in TX, I assume. I didn't remember hearing about Nick Lee's Olympic hopes so I thought he might be at Wilkes.

Reactions: diggerpup
Cenzo, Brooks, and Cassar are probably going to Senior Nationals in TX, I assume. I didn't remember hearing about Nick Lee's Olympic hopes so I thought he might be at Wilkes.

What the flip is Hall doing at Wilkes the weekend of senior nationals?
giphy.gif

Agreed, though I'm kinda surprised to see RBY and Hall go -- unless they don't want to do a midseason cut.

And Busiello at 149 is interesting. Do you happen to know if he ever actually enrolled at Arizona State? I was wondering if this could be a gray shirt year for him.

The wife and I may actually go to this. We went to the Keystone last year and had a blast... anyone been to Wilkes before and have a comparison?

Hmmm Busiello At 149
Can he wrestle in 2nd semester this year or no ? Curious how he would do against our co-starters

Agreed, though I'm kinda surprised to see RBY and Hall go -- unless they don't want to do a midseason cut.
Right now, the plan is for Lee to go to Ft. Worth. Mark's focus is on the college wrestling season (can't find it, but he said as much), though he could change his mind.

These guys will be in Texas

Wish I could go! Wrestled in it three times in college. A great tournament that used to be a lot stronger than it is today. Glad so many PSU wrestlers are going once again.

Jesus. Open tournament competition in the PA area is just pathetic.
Find another D3 school hosting a tournament 4 days before Christmas with a stacked field. I am just glad they are wrestling something rather than an entire month off. Also, pretty cool that this number of the guys would stay and wrestle locally when it would be easy to head home for the holidays instead.

Perhaps Shak hasn't started the rotisserie chicken meal plan yet or perhaps he feels there's better competition at 184?

Both Mark and RBY said at Media Day they'll be focusing on folk. Beard could well be heading to Texas with Shak heading up a weight. Also don't be surprised if Shak wrestles 197. Isn't locked in at 184 or anything. Not sure what the word is on Lee, but the way he's wrestling they may just not have felt the need to send him.

Jesus. Open tournament competition in the PA area is just pathetic.

Maybe you should enter, go on the mat and call these hard working kids “pathetic” to their faces.

You really should filter the first thought that jumps into your tiny brain.

Reactions: ccdiver
I suspect that the registration was done before last weekend. I can't see any reason for Shak to wrestle at 184 any more. And, I find it highly doubtful that Conel will be able to go then.

Find another D3 school hosting a tournament 4 days before Christmas with a stacked field.

I believe that's Cael's job

Schedule is a joke. Bringing 3 or 4 guys to Fort Worth and dumping the rest off at a JV tournament solidifies it. If all PSU wrestlers went unseeded at NCAAs, I'd be fine with it.

Reactions: MVPFAN

Schedule is a joke. Bringing 3 or 4 guys to Fort Worth and dumping the rest off at a JV tournament solidifies it. If all PSU wrestlers went unseeded at NCAAs, I'd be fine with it.

Since ALL wrestlers that qualify for NCAAs are now seeded, I am assuming you mean you would be quite happy with NO PSU wrestlers qualifying for NCAAs as punishment for Cael not doing his job up to your expectations, correct? :p

Where is another Pre-Christmas tournament near State College that would meet your criteria? Are you not a solution guy? Criticism with more positive alternative options is called constructive criticism. Novel concept I know but ….surprisingly....most people react well to it.

Reactions: dbldoofus
I'm just glad they're getting Mat time and if I don't have a holiday commitment I can drive 1 1/2 hours and watch the new guys. It's better than watching my NY Jets.
5 years ago I went to East Stroudsburg Open to watch the new guys and happened to see a kid by the name of Nolf dominate. Also saw a raw Cassar get hammered from top by a kid from Penn. How time's have changed.
Cael said the schedule would be different for this year. Lighten up Lemon Pie.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT