ADVERTISEMENT

Vincenzo

Ja1339

Feb 5, 2016
In appreciation, I thought Joseph deserved his own thread. What an incredible match last night. What a beast.

I'll admit to thinking he was underdog last night. Don't think I'll ever underestimate him again. Incredibly, we'll have three guys going for their third title next year. Amazing.

I thought the match-up was a toss-up myself. Talked with Cowbell and others at the social, and agree with their comments. It was as if IMar was trying to prove something by going upper body most of the bout, getting away from his bread and butter. Not taking away from Cenzo’s win at all, just noting a tactical game plan that seemed risky.

I thought the match-up was a toss-up myself. Talked with Cowbell and others at the social, and agree with their comments. It was as if IMar was trying to prove something by going upper body most of the bout, getting away from his bread and butter. Not taking away from Cenzo’s win at all, just noting a tactical game plan that seemed risky.
Seems as though many others felt the same way. I was rather surprised by the continuous attacks up top as his wins v Joseph nearly ignored upper and it was successful. I doubt the coaches drew up this plan.

It really seemed to me that Imar’s ego got in the way. He was tired of 365 days of the pin being shown on highlight reels and clips....and he decided he wanted to show everyone who the real man was.

Turns out, it was Joseph after all.

It should be noted IMar graciously accepted defeat in a post match tweet congratulating Cenzo.

It was a damn good match. That’s what it was.

Hard to believe that a 2x NC as a soph is underrated, but he is. Most, when talking about PSU, have him in a tier under they dominant wrestlers that PSU has been churning out during this run.

But he is on pace to do what no other PSU wrestler has ever done. And he had to knock off IMAR twice to do it. Think about it, IMAR is 2-1 vs. Jason. IMAR was in position to become one of the very all-timers and then Cenzo came along.

He wrestles so loose it scares me. I can never understand how someone can have so much feel that they never panic in those 50/50 positions. Cenzo uses those as more of a 90/10 in his favor much like Bo. Wrestling fans everywhere are the ones blessed by getting to watch these guys. My wife always comments on his amazing smile- it is infectious.

Seems as though many others felt the same way. I was rather surprised by the continuous attacks up top as his wins v Joseph nearly ignored upper and it was successful. I doubt the coaches drew up this plan.

It really seemed to me that Imar’s ego got in the way. He was tired of 365 days of the pin being shown on highlight reels and clips....and he decided he wanted to show everyone who the real man was.

Turns out, it was Joseph after all.

It should be noted IMar graciously accepted defeat in a post match tweet congratulating Cenzo.

It was a damn good match. That’s what it was.
Martinez has an incredibly slick high crotch. Used it on Jason a few times. Did not try it once on Cenzo, even though the underhook clearly wasn't working.

Not complaining, loved the result, just a strange match by Martinez.

He wrestles so loose it scares me. I can never understand how someone can have so much feel that they never panic in those 50/50 positions. Cenzo uses those as more of a 90/10 in his favor much like Bo. Wrestling fans everywhere are the ones blessed by getting to watch these guys. My wife always comments on his amazing smile- it is infectious.
Could've sworn I saw Cenzo's face light up when Martinez let him get the double overs in the first, before he went for the trip.

Hard to believe that a 2x NC as a soph is underrated, but he is. Most, when talking about PSU, have him in a tier under they dominant wrestlers that PSU has been churning out during this run.

But he is on pace to do what no other PSU wrestler has ever done. And he had to knock off IMAR twice to do it. Think about it, IMAR is 2-1 vs. Jason. IMAR was in position to become one of the very all-timers and then Cenzo came along.
Agree 100%...that said, IMAR had a hell of a career and would’ve been a 4x champion if he didn’t have to wrestle PSU studs. He only has 3 career losses (I think) and they are from Nolf and Cenzo...

Congrats to Cenzo! He’s what you call a tournament wrestler. He may drop a match or 2 every year trying things out, going for broke, etc.

But when it comes to big dance he uses everything he learned and can adapt and score on anyone and his defense is second tonone.

Appreciate the OP starting this thread. We talk so much about the team and it’s nice to give these individuals their own thread and appreciation for the effort

Last edited:

I was gonna say something similar. I considered him the 6th or maybe 7th best wrestler at times on the team last year, and 5th best this year. Yet he’s the only guy who won titles his first two years, and like you said, beat Martinez TWICE en route. Not even Nolf did that when stakes were the highest.

It’s all pretty incredible really

IMAR did not have his usual fire. You could see it in his eyes. For whatever reason he seemed psyched out entering the ring. He was. Cenzo was as loose as always like “bring it” which is pretty much the PSU style. They spend the first minute or two probing and sometimes letting the opponent shoot first to see what he has. Then they lock in and take over from that point on. It’s a standard.

Reactions: diggerpup
Who will be Cenzo’s main competition next year?
The only one that would concern me would be Wick. AND he's got to get a lot better to do that. But guys with that length and top game are always dangerous.

Not saying Cenzo won't drop a match or two along the way, but he is a solid favorite over anyone that is in the class currently. Solid.

Reactions: Ja1339
The only one that would concern me would be Wick. AND he's got to get a lot better to do that. But guys with that length and top game are always dangerous.

Not saying Cenzo won't drop a match or two along the way, but he is a solid favorite over anyone that is in the class currently. Solid.

A healthy Massa will be dangerous too. Marinelli will not beat Joseph again.

In appreciation, I thought Joseph deserved his own thread. What an incredible match last night. What a beast.

I'll admit to thinking he was underdog last night. Don't think I'll ever underestimate him again. Incredibly, we'll have three guys going for their third title next year. Amazing.

Fully agree. I thought Imar would take it. Joseph really kept him off his game for the entire 7 minutes of the match. Well done. Great strategy.

Not sure I agree with not following his game plan. He obviously had a plan for Big10s. Work his ties and see if anything presented. Then ride hard and get out quick. He executed it to perfection.
Joesph has taken the shrug slide by away because he doesn't charge in recklessly while reaching. IMar is also always the strongest of the two wrestlers. That advantage is neutralized by Joesph and his underhook plays right into Joseph's deadliest arsenal. Joesph being Joesph neutralized almost all of IMar's tools. Then when Joesph started forcing tie-ups and making IMAR expend energy it was Joseph's match.
No matter the game plan, last night Cenzo had it covered and there was little to nothing IMAR could do to change things.
Just my opinion, but Cenzo had a plan for the entire weekend and he executed it to petfection. One of the most cerebral championships earned that I have ever witinessed.

Throughout the match, you can hear Casey yelling to Cenzo to keep his right elbow down. Cenzo did a really good job limiting IMar's ability to work his underhook.

Reactions: diggerpup
Not sure I agree with not following his game plan. He obviously had a plan for Big10s. Work his ties and see if anything presented. Then ride hard and get out quick. He executed it to perfection.
Joesph has taken the shrug slide by away because he doesn't charge in recklessly while reaching. IMar is also always the strongest of the two wrestlers. That advantage is neutralized by Joesph and his underhook plays right into Joseph's deadliest arsenal. Joesph being Joesph neutralized almost all of IMar's tools. Then when Joesph started forcing tie-ups and making IMAR expend energy it was Joseph's match.
No matter the game plan, last night Cenzo had it covered and there was little to nothing IMAR could do to change things.
Just my opinion, but Cenzo had a plan for the entire weekend and he executed it to petfection. One of the most cerebral championships earned that I have ever witinessed.
Totally agree on Cenzo. Masterful plan and it worked. The point is IMars strategy was curious at best. The shrug and slide by from IMar never even got started. He was in upper body from the whistle. Cenzo never really defended any lower work since IMar started high and ended high. On the first attempt in upper, in our row looked at each other and remarking basically “wut?” There is simply no way a coach would have crafted that plan when 3 wins were produced another way.

This completely reminded me of Q and Kilgore. Ignorance of the opponents strength or allowing them to use it. You pick. Bad strategy.

But I believe this was an ego issue, much like when IMar challenged Nolf that Nolf couldn’t handle IMars pace. That match resulted in IMar getting pinned. This year....I would put $10 that the coaches had a different plan and IMar wanted to prove something to the world. His ego got in the way once, and I’m pretty sure it did again.

But I believe this was an ego issue, much like when IMar challenged Nolf that Nolf couldn’t handle IMars pace. That match resulted in IMar getting pinned. This year....I would put $10 that the coaches had a different plan and IMar wanted to prove something to the world. His ego got in the way once, and I’m pretty sure it did again.
I could be all wet about this, wouldn't be the first time ... but I thought Martinez's quote about Nolf not matching his pace wasn't ego. (OK, not primarily ego.) I thought it was reverse psychology -- you really shouldn't do what I really don't want you to do.

Anyway, this weekend, no question that was either ego or idiocy. He said he watched last year's final countless times -- how many times do you have to watch yourself get chucked and hear the announcers exclaim "He did NOT want to go upper body with Joseph, and that's exactly what happened!"? Apparently he needed to hear that at least one more time.

Reactions: JUBAN and Ja1339
On a side note: If you watch the ESPN app of the reply... they have the camera on 'Cenzo's parents. His mom cracks me up. Most of the time she can not even watch the match :)

Reactions: T J and caelschin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT