ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Inc exceeds expectations

I love Starocci as much as any PSU fan, but he is 100% arrogant. That’s his whole MMA persona. I think it’s awesome that he has adopted this sort of villain approach. It’s nice to see a little personality in college wrestling.
Respectfully disagree. The Oxford Dictionary definition of arrogant is “having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.”

In order to be arrogant, Carter would have to overestimate his abilities, when, in fact, at least in college wrestling thus far he has lived up to everything he’s said he’d ever do and is already an all-time great. So his estimation of his abilities is spot on accurate, therefore no arrogance.

I'd agree with you. Carters personality sticks out like a sore thumb on this team. It may cross the line for some. But I like that Cael doesn't force him to tow the humble approach line that many of Caels greats have had.
I like this too. Carter is Carter. He seems to like playing that semi Villan roll. He put on a crazy butt kicking over the #2.

PSU showed everyone last night, you all are wrestling for second again

What I learned is that the state of Iowa wrestling is pretty poor. It was an all-star meet and the greatest wrestling program in history only had one wrestler participating and it was a girl!

No offense to Marlynne Deede, she won and wrestled well.

Then there was the 157 match which looked like both guys watched some Iowa instructional videos and basically spent 12 minutes hand fighting.

That match is the epitome of what is wrong with folk style wrestling. 12 minutes of wrestling that had 2 escapes, a reversal, 2 attempted takedowns and zero stalling calls. Ugh!
As an Iowan and a diehard Hawk fan you are definitely correct. I hated when fellow coaches preached on hand fighting and snap downs more than offense. Hand fighting and snap downs have there place for sure, but use them quicker and as a setup and not to just think you’re wearing someone down for a last second takedown. It’s boring and it’s a bad philosophy. Cael’s philosophy is more akin to Bruce Lee’s philosophy with Jeet Kune do. Look it up, it’s the definition of the difference. I love Iowa, but we are wrestling like it’s the 80’s and coaches want you to wrestle from a place of hate. That’s not fun and it has to tire an athlete’s mind that is already pushing limits that most never will.

Why would you assume that. I'm religious and I cringed at Brooks' interview at Nationals. Being religious is fine but putting down somebody else's religion isn't very Christian imo.

Unless you're putting down Scientology because that's a joke.
Why put down anyone's beliefs? This world does not need any more judges, just more Love.

Reactions: RB-Old and hlstone
Why would you assume that. I'm religious and I cringed at Brooks' interview at Nationals. Being religious is fine but putting down somebody else's religion isn't very Christian imo.

Unless you're putting down Scientology because that's a joke.

That's not true - all religions are not the same. Catholicism, the original Christianity, is absolutely a sect of Judaism (obviously not Orthodox, but clearly a branch of Judaism, as in Jews who believe Christ was the God-Sent Messiah as prophesied in the Book of Isaiah and Daniel. After all 100% of the original Christians were Jewish by both faith and blood - Paul, the Great Converter of Gentiles [i.e., Saul of Taursus], founded "Synagogues".... and Christians were considered, and termed "Jews" by the Romans until Constantine came along in the 4th Century AD - the Romans only considered it a religion and put people to death for celebrating this religion within the City-State of Rome). My point is that Judeo-Christianity worship the same fundamental cannon (Moses Covenant with God and the Ten Commandments) - within those religious laws, there is a strict prohibition against worshipping Mohammed (and Jihad) as Muslims do - it is not the same "God".

Christians are not required to deny their own faith and praise blasphemy - nor is it considered "anti-Christian" to identify such blasphemy which is an affront to God. The notion that Moses' God ever told anyone that it is okay to kill innocents as long as it is done in the name of "Jihad", let alone that they will be given 10 virgins in heaven, is beyond ridiculous. The only time killing is justified is when it is out of "self defense" when being attacked.

Last edited:
Even if Brooks wins his 4th in the same tournament?
Brooks takes the occasional unnecessary loss. I know that Carter lost to Washington as a freshman but he’s going to go three (and possibly four) straight years without a loss.

Brooks takes the occasional unnecessary loss. I know that Carter lost to Washington as a freshman but he’s going to go three (and possibly four) straight years without a loss.
Just to compare since it’s fun to do:

AB is 73-3.
CS is 66-2.

CS took a redshirt; AB did not.
(One of AB’s three losses was as a true freshman.)

46 of AB’s 73 wins (63%) have been by bonus.
37 of CS’s 66 wins (56%) have been by bonus.

AB has three B1G championships in 4 seasons (his freshman season had no NCAA)

CS has two B1G championships in 3 seasons.

About as even as it gets.

Cat Kitten GIF

A few unsolicited thoughts on this:

AB’s faith leads him to believe God’s plan is for him to spread God’s word through AB. Wrestling is the means for AB to spread God’s word.

Some don’t like that; I get it. But AB isn’t going to stop doing it even knowing it offends some people. He believes God has called him to do it.

His one-time comment post-match about another religion wasn’t my cup of tea either but I’ve only heard him go there that one time.

No matter what the subject, athletes using their platform to influence others on non-athletic matters is going to make people uncomfortable.

A few unsolicited thoughts on this:

AB’s faith leads him to believe God’s plan is for him to spread God’s word through AB. Wrestling is the means for AB to spread God’s word.

Some don’t like that; I get it. But AB isn’t going to stop doing it even knowing it offends some people. He believes God has called him to do it.

His one-time comment post-match about another religion wasn’t my cup of tea either but I’ve only heard him go there that one time.

No matter what the subject, athletes using their platform to influence others on non-athletic matters is going to make people uncomfortable.
Here’s a thought.. if you see someone win and think they may something that will make you uncomfortable when the stick the mic in his face, simply leave the room or turn down the volume. This aint hard folks.

As much as I love Bo Nickal, he should’ve never lost to Martin his freshman year. I love Zain as well, but his freshman year he beat a guy, and then lost to him twice. Starocci lost to a guy his freshman year and then came back and beat him in the finals. Brooks unfortunately took that loss last year, so three undefeated seasons top two undefeated seasons.

My order… Starocci, Brooks, Zain, Bo, Nolf, Ruth, Taylor
There is a massive difference between "the guy" Zain beat and "the guy" Carter beat.

One was a 4x NCAA champ and SR world champ. The other was a 1x NCAA finalist.

Also, if that's the reason to put Carter ahead of Zain today, then Ed needs to be much higher for avenging his loss to 2x champ Gabe Dean.

That's not true - all religions are not the same. Catholicism, the original Christianity, is absolutely a sect of Judaism (obviously not Orthodox, but clearly a branch of Judaism, as in Jews who believe Christ was the God-Sent Messiah as prophesied in the Book of Isaiah and Daniel. After all 100% of the original Christians were Jewish by both faith and blood - Paul, the Great Converter of Gentiles [i.e., Saul of Taursus], founded "Synagogues".... and Christians were considered, and termed "Jews" by the Romans until Constantine came along in the 4th Century AD - the Romans only considered it a religion and put people to death for celebrating this religion within the City-State of Rome). My point is that Judeo-Christianity worship the same fundamental cannon (Moses Covenant with God and the Ten Commandments) - within those religious laws, there is a strict prohibition against worshipping Mohammed (and Jihad) as Muslims do - it is not the same "God".

Christians are not required to deny their own faith and praise blasphemy - nor is it considered "anti-Christian" to identify such blasphemy which is an affront to God. The notion that Moses' God ever told anyone that it is okay to kill innocents as long as it is done in the name of "Jihad", let alone that they will be given 10 virgins in heaven, is beyond ridiculous. The only time killing is justified is when it is out of "self defense" when being attacked.
Joe>>save it for church.

Reactions: dbldoofus
There is a massive difference between "the guy" Zain beat and "the guy" Carter beat.

Also, if that's the reason to put Carter ahead of Zain today, then Ed needs to be much higher for avenging his loss to 2x champ Gabe Dean.
Its Zain for me.

Think of it this way, who would you sooner face in a match? Who do you think you have the best chance against?

AB is 50 pounds heavier and Carter is 30 pounds heavier and I would still pick either one of those guys to wrestle over Pain Train Zain.

Its Zain for me.

Think of it this way, who would you sooner face in a match? Who do you think you have the best chance against?

AB is 50 pounds heavier and Carter is 30 pounds heavier and I would still pick either one of those guys to wrestle over Pain Train Zain.
I can't look at it this way. I think that anyone, except for Carter, would realize how silly it is for me to be on the mat, and therefore take it easy on me. Carter, on the other hand, would take it as a personal affront that this old head dared step on the mat. Whenever Carter isn't wrestling, I avoid making eye contact with him from the stands.

But, I don't weigh all of that for GOAT status. Just don't tell him that.

I can't look at it this way. I think that anyone, except for Carter, would realize how silly it is for me to be on the mat, and therefore take it easy on me. Carter, on the other hand, would take it as a personal affront that this old head dared step on the mat. Whenever Carter isn't wrestling, I avoid making eye contact with him from the stands.

But, I don't weigh all of that for GOAT status. Just don't tell him that.
If Carter told you to jump from your treestand, would you?

Its Zain for me.

Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, and Roger Clemens would throw at heads with no remorse. Greg Maddux was known as a "comfortable out."

Aaron is the comfortable out. Zain and Carter have no remorse for what they do. Either way, you're out.

As an Iowan and a diehard Hawk fan you are definitely correct. I hated when fellow coaches preached on hand fighting and snap downs more than offense. Hand fighting and snap downs have there place for sure, but use them quicker and as a setup and not to just think you’re wearing someone down for a last second takedown. It’s boring and it’s a bad philosophy. Cael’s philosophy is more akin to Bruce Lee’s philosophy with Jeet Kune do. Look it up, it’s the definition of the difference. I love Iowa, but we are wrestling like it’s the 80’s and coaches want you to wrestle from a place of hate. That’s not fun and it has to tire an athlete’s mind that is already pushing limits that most never will.
LOL you have a ways to go to catch OK ST as the greatest,and this all star match just shows how far your program has fallen!!

We’re definitely splitting hairs, but it’s a fun discussion.

I don’t have Carter ahead of Zain today. I was using the hypothetical the previous poster made if Carter and Brooks both win their fourth. I currently have Zain as the number one Penn State wrestler as far as college career goes.

My order as of today… Zain, Bo, Nolf, Ruth, Starocci, Brooks, Taylor

My order if both get #4 … Starocci, Brooks, Zain, Bo, Nolf, Ruth, Taylor

My argument about Zain and Carter’s freshman opponents was more about improvement through their freshman season. It’s hard to ignore that Zain beat Steiber and then lost to him twice. Plus he lost to another guy in the wrestlebacks. Carter had to run the gauntlet of like five seniors in the top eight that year. I don’t think that’s the best argument clearly, but to me, it was a factor.

Ultimately, I put Zain at the top of the three time champions because his three year run was complete dominance from start to finish. The other five 3 timers all have a case to be in front of each other.

Reactions: PSU James
Carter has the rest of this year, and I expect him to be a man on a bonus mission, especially with the 3 point TD.

That said Carter is currently 19th on the career bonus % list. 19th! While you are out there check out the career pin % list as well, he ain't even on that list at all.

Sorry to say but even with 4x, which is admittedly maybe the biggest measure, there are number of other categories when there are a host of our 3xers not to mention DT with more than a solid argument to come out ahead of a 4x Carter for the question is who is our best ever.

Sorry, but neither Carter nor Aaron will be on my top 3 list at the end of the year if they run the table.

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT