ADVERTISEMENT

VaTech v. Rutgers 11/17/23

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
Welllllll .......

Somewhat against my better instincts, we ventured down I287 to Piscataway and Rutgers Athletic Center/Louis Brown Athletic Center/Jersey Mike's Arena to watch Rutgers host Virginia Tech.

First thing when you arrive, you get a rude welcome - parking in the lot at the RAC now costs $30, which seems like highway robbery. It's more than the price of the majority of tickets. I'll also note that Rutgers' "sell out" standard is a little fluid. They don't sell the 300 level seats for wrestling matches, so a sell out is, say, about 1/4 empty. Even with that, for the opening home match against a (theoretically - we'll see how the season works out, I'm skeptical about VT's lineup after its start) top 10 team, the crowd was a relatively light (compared to what was expected) 5100+ and not the sell out Rutgers was hoping for. Still a good (maybe even great) crowd by college wrestling standards.

Anyway, if anyone is fearing a significant change in action in D1 wrestling matches due to the changing of points for takedowns, relax. We waited until the 12th period of the meet to get our first takedown. In the first 3 weights (started at 125), there was a total of four escapes. Nine periods of wrestling and nothing other than four escapes - Peterson from Rutgers had the only point during the match and Mitch Moore duplicated that at 141. Neither guy did anything other than hold on on top, but they stalled the entire two minutes without getting dinged. Latona from VT got the first takedown of the match in overtime at 133 after a 1-1 regulation score. Henson from VT got the first takedown in regulation with a third period takedown at 149, breaking the "no offensive points" streak at 11 periods (total scoring through almost 4 matches was six escapes at that point). He won 5-1, tacking on a riding time point.

Ironically, we went to a D3 dual at our alma mater last Saturday and the rule changes seemed to work as intended - there was a lot of action and a lot of bonus point victories. Two good wrestling programs with the right aggressive philosophy will do that. Not so much last night. I'm trying to remember four matches to kick off a meet that had less scoring, but I'm drawing a blank.

Andronian came out strong at 157 against a Rutgers backup but seemed to lose the thread a bit, getting sloppy and getting taken down to jeopardize the major but he recovered enough to squeeze out a 13-5 major decision (the only bonus point of the night).

165 saw Brazilian jujitsu convert Hipolito come out like a house on fire, getting a takedown pretty much right off the opening whistle. He cut Rutgers' Anthony White immediately (apparently, according to a VT wrestler sitting next to us, he has been wrestling folkstyle for less than 5 years. He certainly didn't seem to have a clue on top) and got another takedown. Then, he too, took his foot off the gas (or got gassed). He got another takedown and then struggled the rest of the match. He got taken down to make the match close, then recovered for a late takedown to wind up on top 13-7.

174 featured Mekhi Lewis against 2022 AA Jackson Turley. Match was probably closer than VT would have liked and Lewis also seemed to forget that if you win by 8, you get a major. Up 7-2 with riding time virtually locked, he waited a little too long to cut Turley and wound up running out of time, leaving with an 8-3 victory, one takedown short of the major. That team point could have had a huge impact for the dual. Score was now 16-6 in favor of VT.

184 the dangerous 9/7 ranked Brian Soldano took the mat for Rutgers against 21/20 ranked Sam Fisher. It looked like scouting has caught up to Soldano. Fisher was patient and ready for Soldano's unusual style. The match had a good amount of action and was close. But Soldano doesn't seem to have a proactive takedown in his repetoire and lost 10-9. Definitely the most entertaining match of the night. VT was up 19-6, so the match, barring some weird stuff, was VT's to take home at the end of the night.

After a period of 197, it was clear we were looking at another 1 takedown match (and probably another at 285), so we cut out. Both 197 and 285 turned out to be exactly that with Rutgers winning both, leaving the final score 19-12, and we got out of the high-priced parking lot ahead of traffic (which is a nightmare if you are in the teeth of it) and home smoothly. Rutgers continued their drought against top 10 teams dating back to Nebraska at home in January 2016. I don't see that streak ending this season.

Looking to seeing more offense on Sunday at West Point to wash the taste of the first 4 matches last night out of our mouths.

I watched the match on BTN+. and can verify the lack of action from 125 thru 149. The 174, 197, and 285 bouts weren't much better, with a single TD each. There was nothing close to back points in the entire dual. All in all, not particularly compelling dual to watch.

The dual swung on the 165 and 184 matches. Barring an unexpected pin or tech fall, Rutgers needed to win both 165 and 184 to win the dual. On paper, Rutgers seemed to have a realistic chance to win both weights, but instead lost both.

Hipolito of VaTech at 165 has an unusual style and is probably a weird match-up for someone who has never faced him. Rutger's Anthony White seemed quite unprepared for Hipolito.

Reactions: danoftw
I watched the match on BTN+. and can verify the lack of action from 125 thru 149. The 174, 197, and 285 bouts weren't much better, with a single TD each. There was nothing close to back points in the entire dual. All in all, not particularly compelling dual to watch.

The dual swung on the 165 and 184 matches. Barring an unexpected pin or tech fall, Rutgers needed to win both 165 and 184 to win the dual. On paper, Rutgers seemed to have a realistic chance to win both weights, but instead lost both.

Hipolito of VaTech at 165 has an unusual style and is probably a weird match-up for someone who has never faced him. Rutger's Anthony White seemed quite unprepared for Hipolito.
I think Lewis had 2 takedowns at 174.

Rutgers is coming. Huge pa pickups lately and will be getting more.
Scott Hall Post GIF

LOL coming where to 6th place in the big??
Pretty sure they came in 4th in B1Gs in 2016. Of course, they haven't really come close to that finish since. Saw them today at the Black Knight. They have quite a few guys that are at the "very good backup" level. What they don't have is first tier wrestlers. Maybe Peterson at 125, but he's a redshirt senior at the lowest weight class.

Pretty sure they came in 4th in B1Gs in 2016. Of course, they haven't really come close to that finish since. Saw them today at the Black Knight. They have quite a few guys that are at the "very good backup" level. What they don't have is first tier wrestlers. Maybe Peterson at 125, but he's a redshirt senior at the lowest weight class.
Who did u spot that were “very good backup” level? Walsh won the tourney but besides him who else did u spot?? Peterson is a RS soph this year.

Who did u spot that were “very good backup” level? Walsh won the tourney but besides him who else did u spot?? Peterson is a RS soph this year.
There were a lot of guys that did decently today, including Fangaro. O'Donnell looked pretty good. Pretty much everyone who wrested today was "okay". Walsh I can't get too excited about. 174 today was probably the weakest weight class I've ever seen at a D1 college tournament. But I'm talking more about the starting lineup. They are not top tier guys. From 133-174, there is no one that has a reasonable chance to place at nationals, absent wrestling out of their head for three days. When a transfer with a losing career record steps into the starting lineup, there's a problem. Soldano has been scouted and won't get away with what he did last year. Poznanski has an outside shot at 197, but let's see how he handles 197. I'm not totally convinced about the 285 until I see how he handles B1G competition week in and week out.

Don't blame me about Peterson. I was relying on the roster listing handed out on Friday. Lol. Literally. I'll scan it if you don't believe me.

There were a lot of guys that did decently today, including Fangaro. O'Donnell looked pretty good. Pretty much everyone who wrested today was "okay". Walsh I can't get too excited about. 174 today was probably the weakest weight class I've ever seen at a D1 college tournament. But I'm talking more about the starting lineup. They are not top tier guys. From 133-174, there is no one that has a reasonable chance to place at nationals, absent wrestling out of their head for three days. When a transfer with a losing career record steps into the starting lineup, there's a problem. Soldano has been scouted and won't get away with what he did last year. Poznanski has an outside shot at 197, but let's see how he handles 197. I'm not totally convinced about the 285 until I see how he handles B1G competition week in and week out.

Don't blame me about Peterson. I was relying on the roster listing handed out on Friday. Lol. Literally. I'll scan it if you don't believe me.
Peterson is def not a sr unless I’m missing something… lol.. I do agree with most of your assessment here tho.

But they don't develop them. It happens over and over. People actually regress there for the most part over the last 7-8 years.
This is not true.. there has been a lot of unheralded recruits that came to Rutgers and “developed”.. Gravina, Theobold, Perotti to name a few… also there has been transfers that did worst at other programs and transferred to RU to do better.. Bulsak.. Mason( didn’t AA at Minnesota either but did improve at RU)

This is not true.. there has been a lot of unheralded recruits that came to Rutgers and “developed”.. Gravina, Theobold, Perotti to name a few… also there has been transfers that did worst at other programs and transferred to RU to do better.. Bulsak.. Mason( didn’t AA at Minnesota either but did improve at RU)
The guys listed above combined for a 7th and 3x 8th.

Rutgers shouldn't be pointing to that as development. They should be pointing to Suriano and Ashnault, and figuring out how to repeat that.

Rutgers shouldn't be pointing to that as development. They should be pointing to Suriano and Ashnault, and figuring out how to repeat that.
Not to mention that those guys go back more than 7-8 years.

Those guys were not top 150th overall ranked recruits… not projected to let alone start in most d1 programs so for them to AA is still an accomplishment. Yeah Ash and Suriano were top 10 class recruits something PSU gets regularly

Those guys were not top 150th overall ranked recruits… not projected to let alone start in most d1 programs so for them to AA is still an accomplishment. Yeah Ash and Suriano were top 10 class recruits something PSU gets regularly
Bulsak definitely was, but whatever. As long as Rutgers and its supporters continue to think of Suriano and Ashnault as exceptions, they will remain as such.

2016,who remembers that far back!!I can barely remember last week!!

was that in the tourney or the reg season??

Reactions: El-Jefe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT