ADVERTISEMENT

Time to give Iowa credit where credit is due?

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
In short, I say yes!

Putting aside the self imposed distractions, destruction and dysfunction, when viewed from a different perspective, as a fan of the craft itself, I am starting to get amazed at how they are performing this season.

Inarguably that program has gone through the most difficult 12 month period of any in history by a long shot. What the Hawks and their fans have endured in one year makes the Surriano spectacle look like a casual walk at sunrise through a spring meadow with butterflies dancing about

I won't catch them all but just a sample:

The somewhat humiliating loss of their legend before his coronation as one of the all timer 4x champions and the spectical of the meme in the stands.

The loss of top recruit superstar Nate Jesuroga to of all things, burnout and the idea of becoming a navy seal.

The gain of a top recruit only to lose yet another hammer Cody Chittum as a consequence.

The blockbuster story of gambling and potential suspensions of what for months was only known as several significant starters. Only to have the program emotions toyed with as the NCAA redefined the punishments, introducing a glimmer of hope. Names were named, and ultimately the punishments came down more severe than most had thought things were trending. Final appeals created anothet sliver of hope only to be dashed as well. Now some are hanging on to investigator malfeasance as if these kids might still get another chance. Colorful press conferences and constant banter excusing the offenses with claims everyone is doing it, Iowa is being singled out unfairly, and that noone is asking the right questions.

Then there is the fast car package deal. Could all three result in a couple of national champions, with one aimed at Aaron Brooks and fielding a lineup that can take on the juggernaut that is Penn State? AJ has the charges dropped and rumors fly for months that the big three are a done deal.

On to the soldier salute and where the program's new savior former 197 National champion will have his coming out party, and demonstrate that the cobwebs of 2 years off are non existent. That expose' could not have gone more poorly. Not only was the performance on the mat lack luster, clarifying that getting AJ back to champion form would say the very least be a work in progress, but AJ did AJ things, far exceeding his worst detectors expectations. Lost in all of this was AJs first introduction to his home fans. He delivered the now infamous FU to the home crowd and a meme that will last no doubt for at least a decade in the spotlight. The dream of the three saviors turns into the spectacle of the three stooges overnight. Down but not out AJ may still come back, but the Iowa faithful now seem firmly split down the middle of not mostly against such an unwise decision.

It was exhausting to write above, but I can say through all of this unrelenting torment, one thing has happened:

The hawks are actually a very damned good patchwork fabrick, bailingwire and duct tape team. In the midst of the constant tornado of what was this off season, I have to give real credit to TnT and what they have accomplished.

They held their own and pulled in some hammers from the Portal. Iowa was arguably the third most successful harvester this year behind PSU and Mich, while far ahead of most other programs. Granted bags of money didn't land several they targeted.

They just landed an awesome new hammer in Deluca.

TnT absolutely have schooled two top coaches strategically jockeying the lineup to pull victory from what could have been defeat in key duals. In particular somewhat embarrassing their #2 most hated enemy in Iowa State. Those wins lay squarely at the feet of Tom Brands.

And, yes it does appear that Iowa can develop wrestlers. PK may have found a home up a weight.
Drake is looking like a potential finalist.

Glazier is one of the bestest stories in the country. His achievements are two-fold. First, he is just a hard worker who is on an upward trajectory, anyone who thinks this kid can't AA is kidding himself right now. Secondly, he may have single handedly given the program the best gift possible. His tenacity and fight exposed AJ for what he really is infront of the whole world and in so doing just might have saved the program from even bigger embarrassment. We will just have to see starting next fall. He showed AJ's game needs work, and he was able to provoke out the narcissistic beast that is AJ Ferrari. AJ delivered in spades, doing honestly what I thought as the unthinkable to a home crowd during essentially what was a combination employment interview/coronation. A classic for the ages.

All in all, I feel for the hard core Iowa fans, the team of dedicated kids sweating it out every day, the staff, and what they have had to deal with.

If you peer through the fog of war that has been 2023 for that program there is a hell of a lot to acknowledge and look upon with a sense of amazement.

You may not hear it from me again anytime soon, but as coaches of these specific kids, on that roster, at this time, I have to raise my glass and toast the Brands for a job well done!

Last edited:
In short, I say yes!

Putting aside the self imposed distractions, destruction and dysfunction, when viewed from a different perspective, as a fan of the craft itself, I am starting to get amazed at how they are performing this season.

Inarguably that program has gone through the most difficult 12 month period of any in history by a long shot. What the Hawks and their fans have endured in one year makes the Surriano spectacle look like a casual walk at sunrise through a spring meadow with butterflies dancing about

The somewhat humiliating loss of their legend before his coronation as one of the all timer 4x champions and the spectical of the meme in the stands.

The loss of top recruit superstar Nate Jesuroga to of all things, burnout and the idea of becoming a navy seal.

The gain of a top recruit only to lose yet another hammer Cody Chittum as a consequence.

The blockbuster story of gambling and potential suspensions of what for months was only known as several significant starters. Only to have the program emotions toyed with as the NCAA redefined the punishments, introducing a glimmer of hope. Names were named, and ultimately the punishments came down more severe than most had thought things were trending. Final appeals created anothet sliver of hope only to be dashed as well. Now some are hanging on to investigator malfeasance as if these kids might still get another chance. Colorful press conferences and constant banter excusing the offenses with claims everyone is doing it, Iowa is being singled out unfairly, and that noone is asking the right questions.

Then there is the fast car package deal. Could all three result in a couple of national champions, with one aimed at Aaron Brooks and fielding a lineup that can take on the juggernaut that is Penn State? AJ has the charges dropped and rumors fly for months that the big three are a done deal.

On to the soldier salute and where the program's new savior former 197 National champion will have his coming out party, and demonstrate that the cobwebs of 2 years off are non existent. That expose' could not have gone more poorly. Not only was the performance on the mat lack luster, clarifying that getting AJ back to champion form would say the very least be a work in progress, but AJ did AJ things, far exceeding his worst detectors expectations. Lost in all of this was AJs first introduction to his home fans. He delivered the now infamous FU to the home crowd and a meme that will last no doubt for at least a decade in the spotlight. The dream of the three saviors turns into the spectacle of the three stooges overnight. Down but not out AJ may still come back, but the Iowa faithful now seem firmly split down the middle of not mostly against such an unwise decision.

It was exhausting to write above, but I can say through all of this unrelenting torment, one thing has happened:

The hawks are actually a very damned good patchwork fabrick, bailingwire and duct tape team. In the midst of the constant tornado of what was this off season, I have to give real credit to TnT and what they have accomplished.

They held their own and pulled in some hammers from the Portal. Iowa was arguably the third most successful harvester this year behind PSU and Mich, while far ahead of most other programs.

TnT absolutely have schooled two top coaches strategically jockeying the lineup to pull victory from what could have been defeat in key duals. In particular somewhat embarrassing their #2 most hated enemy in Iowa State. Those wins lay squarely at the feet of Tom Brands.

And, yes it does appear that Iowa can develop wrestlers. PK may have found a home up a weight.

Glazier is one of the bestest stories in the country. His achievements are two-fold. First, he is just a hard worker who is on an upward trajectory, anyone who thinks this kid can't AA is kidding himself right now. Secondly, he may have single handedly given the program the best gift possible. His tenacity and fight exposed AJ for what he really is infront of the whole world and in so doing just might have saved the program from even bigger embarrassment. We will just have to see starting next fall. He showed AJ's game needs work, and he was able to provoke out the narcissistic beast that is AJ Ferrari. AJ delivered in spades, doing honestly what I thought as the unthinkable to a home crowd during essentially what was a combination employment interview/coronation. A classic for the ages.

All in all, I feel for the hard core Iowa fans, the team of dedicated kids sweating it out every day, the staff, and what they have had to deal with.

If you peer through the fog of war that has been 2023 for that program there is a hell of a lot to acknowledge and look upon with a sense of amazement.

You may not hear it from me again anytime soon, but as coaches of these specific kids, on that roster, at this time, I have to raise my glass and toast the Brands for a job well done!
nobody-cares-nobody-gives-a-fck.gif

I agree. It is actually truly amazing that they are as good as they are right now considering all that has happened, and they deserve credit for that. In fact, I'd say I much prefer Iowa's portal additions to Michigan's. Michigan added the typical 6th/7th year bag seekers who are all predictably underachieving (or hurt in Cannon's case). Davison is probably the only one that will deliver what he was supposed to deliver. Iowa, OTOH, got Franek to fill a hole from the gambling fallout AND added a long term hammer in Caliendo.

In short, I say yes!

They held their own and pulled in some hammers from the Portal. Iowa was arguably the third most successful harvester this year behind PSU and Mich, while far ahead of most other programs.

6000 words too many. o_O

Iowa is still the number 2 program behind PSU. The thing that has really changed is the distance between number 1 and number 2. It is weird to think that number 9 is closer to number 2 than number 2 is to number 1. That all realized Iowa is still Iowa and very hard to beat for anyone who isn't PSU. I would love to see Iowa fail to get a team trophy, but deep down I know they will.

Reactions: Sullivan
I agree. It is actually truly amazing that they are as good as they are right now considering all that has happened, and they deserve credit for that. In fact, I'd say I much prefer Iowa's portal additions to Michigan's. Michigan added the typical 6th/7th year bag seekers who are all predictably underachieving (or hurt in Cannon's case). Davison is probably the only one that will deliver what he was supposed to deliver. Iowa, OTOH, got Franek to fill a hole from the gambling fallout AND added a long term hammer in Caliendo.
Michigan's transfers will outscore Iowa's this year. And then they'll be out of the way for all of the shirting recruits.

The advantage for Iowa is that Caliendo is only a SO. Then again,Michigan has a lot of talent training this year to compete for the next 3-4 years.

Iowa is still the number 2 program behind PSU. The thing that has really changed is the distance between number 1 and number 2. It is weird to think that number 9 is closer to number 2 than number 2 is to number 1. That all realized Iowa is still Iowa and very hard to beat for anyone who isn't PSU. I would love to see Iowa fail to get a team trophy, but deep down I know they will.
27c02174-dc14-4d17-9792-781ec5066025_text.gif

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Michigan's transfers will outscore Iowa's this year. And then they'll be out of the way for all of the shirting recruits.

The advantage for Iowa is that Caliendo is only a SO. Then again,Michigan has a lot of talent training this year to compete for the next 3-4 years.
Michigan's will (probably) outscore Iowa's because there are 5 vs 2. They won't add much, though. Cannon is already a zero. DeAug looks like maybe a R12 or R16 and Griffith a low AA at best. Davison is a solid AA and Gomez is still a question.

In short, I say yes!

And I thought "I" was wordy. Kidding, good stuff.

Michigan's will (probably) outscore Iowa's because there are 5 vs 2. They won't add much, though. Cannon is already a zero. DeAug looks like maybe a R12 or R16 and Griffith a low AA at best. Davison is a solid AA and Gomez is still a question.
5 with Voinovich, Fredo, and Teske.

Again, Michigan is getting long-term benefit. Iowa is plugging recruiting deficiencies.

5 with Voinovich, Fredo, and Teske.

Again, Michigan is getting long-term benefit. Iowa is plugging recruiting deficiencies.
Oh yeah, 3 with VV, who will add little to their nationals score. Anthony didn't portal and the Ferraris are a different topic entirely. I'm not counting Teske because he came in last year. If you want to count prior years' portals, then Woods counts, too, which would tilt the score way towards Iowa.

In short, I say yes!

I’ve got a bunch of Iowa friends and they know that I never root for their teams. Just the same, your message rings true. Out of an incredible mess, TnT have pulled out a serviceable team that could and should reach the podium in March. I said it before in another place that Tom looks a little chagrined this year. From where I sit he seems to be contemplating his future. Will he duck out or stay to fight. On the master scale he has enjoyed a tremendous career. Can he lift himself and his program up to a higher level to better compete with PSU? I doubt it.

In short, I say yes!

They held their own and pulled in some hammers from the Portal. Iowa was arguably the third most successful harvester this year behind PSU and Mich, while far ahead of most other programs. Granted bags of money didn't land several they targeted.

@backdrft76

POTTY nomination.

TLDR: Iowa had a very bad few months from Spencer losing in the semis until Soldier Salute (anyone on this board should know what the incidents are) but are still a very good team with a few slam dunk AAs and a few guys that can make finals/win!

LOL iowa can develop wrestlers,you must mean they teach them to stall they are very good at that not to mention very good at edge wrestling or just plain doing nothing to score points!

Reactions: tlbakernc
Iowa is the exact same program today that they were 15 years ago. They have neither improved, nor regressed. The only difference is PSU, and it's gonna stay that way for a while because of the leadership chasm between the two programs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT