ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Inc exceeds expectations

The difference between Brands and Cael is simple: Brands puts pressure ON the guys, Cael takes pressure OFF the guys.

You see why the results are what they are.

Reactions: Ski and PSU James
My top 5 is Nolf, Zain, Bo, DT/Ruth, and CStar/AB. Had to sneak a few more in there. Top 5 is ridiculously hard between those 7 guys

Reactions: CholleyVandine
My top list varies every time I examine it. That’s how close it is.

CStar and AB have to win their 4ths before I give them credit for it.

Zain won 93 in a row. 74% of them by fall or TF. Hard to imagine a more dominant three years than that. And the losses, as a true freshman, were to a 4x champ (that he also beat) and the tournament’s #1 seed.

Injury prob kept Ruth from winning four.

I think Bo would have won four and with only two career losses had he not gone for an unnecessary throw in the finals his freshman year. But not going for the throw wouldn’t have been who he was.

Nolf and Ruth each only lost twice without injury.

DT’s bonus rate was unreal. So was Nolf’s and yet there was separation.

DT only lost to national champs, one of them a 4xer.

The guy I had most confidence to give us the bonus we needed when we needed it was Bo.

How do you rank these guys?

Reactions: mjmirv and Ski
To me there is three in argument for first DT, ZR, JN.

I do realize I am generally alone in picking Nolf over Bo but I don't know why, % is better more pins as well. Yes I do know Bo has a hodge but.

I do have Bo at 4.

Even after 4X, if it is to happen I still have in no particular order ER, AB, CS in a toss up.

Q and A: If Nagao does end up being a NC (which in this Q doesnt really matter) can he be put in the same bracket as Zain as a punisher on top?

To me there is three in argument for first DT, ZR, JN.

I do realize I am generally alone in picking Nolf over Bo but I don't know why, % is better more pins as well. Yes I do know Bo has a hodge but.

I do have Bo at 4.

Even after 4X, if it is to happen I still have in no particular order ER, AB, CS in a toss up.

Q and A: If Nagao does end up being a NC (which in this Q doesnt really matter) can he be put in the same bracket as Zain as a punisher on top?
No hahaha, no
IMO Zain is in his own “bracket”

Last year I had the thought that Cael's real goal is to go 10 for 10 at nationals. The more I think about it the more I think he can get it done in the next five years. Lilledahl, Forrest and Bassett could all be coming to go along with the hammers they always have at the upper weights.

Three years from now this could be the lineup

Lilledahl/Davis
Nagao/Forrest
Forrest/Nagao
SVN/Bassett/Kasak
Duke/Sealey
Haines/Sealey
Mesenbrink/Facundo
Barr/Ryder
Ryder/Mirasola
Mirasola/Correa

This is doable.

Its Zain for me.

Think of it this way, who would you sooner face in a match? Who do you think you have the best chance against?

AB is 50 pounds heavier and Carter is 30 pounds heavier and I would still pick either one of those guys to wrestle over Pain Train Zain.
I would pick Dolly Parton, and would probably still lose, but enjoy it. 😉

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Its Zain for me.

Think of it this way, who would you sooner face in a match? Who do you think you have the best chance against?

AB is 50 pounds heavier and Carter is 30 pounds heavier and I would still pick either one of those guys to wrestle over Pain Train Zain.
I would want to wrestle Ed or Q. I think they would take it easy on me.

• Haha
Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
As hopeful as I was when PSU hired Cael, the success we've had is beyond my wildest dreams. There are dynasties in sports and then there are Gable level dynasties and we are blessed with one.

I remember walking into the National during Cael's first year as HC at PSU. Two older Iowa State fans noticed my Dad and I were wearing Penn State sweatshirts and we started talking about Cael. They smugly told us that Cael had underperformed at Iowa State as a coach and would never win the big one. That turned out to be a really bad take.

I hope our fans continue to stay humble and enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

As hopeful as I was when PSU hired Cael, the success we've had is beyond my wildest dreams. There are dynasties in sports and then there are Gable level dynasties and we are blessed with one.

I remember walking into the National during Cael's first year as HC at PSU. Two older Iowa State fans noticed my Dad and I were wearing Penn State sweatshirts and we started talking about Cael. They smugly told us that Cael had underperformed at Iowa State as a coach and would never win the big one. That turned out to be a really bad take.

I hope our fans continue to stay humble and enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

It’s been so long I can’t recall the exact thread but if you want historically horrific takes you should have seen the discussions surrounding Cael leaving when the news was just breaking on the Iowa State messageboard.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
CS took a redshirt; AB did not.
(One of AB’s three losses was as a true freshman.)

SIAP, but Brooks took an OTC year after high school didn't he? If so, it's technically not a redshirt but pretty much the same thing.

Reactions: mcpat

This thread is such a good read if you have some spare time. And I mean that with the utmost respect to Cyclone fans. Fascinating to look back with the benefit of Captain Hindsight (who, incidentally, wore ISU colors).

I love the post#59 that had Cael to Iowa, Tom Brands to PSU and Terry Brands to ASU.
Whew!! Glad we
dodge-evade.gif

Reactions: dicemen99

This thread is such a good read if you have some spare time. And I mean that with the utmost respect to Cyclone fans. Fascinating to look back with the benefit of Captain Hindsight (who, incidentally, wore ISU colors).

Thanks for posting that....really interesting to read that knowing how things turned out. Makes me even more grateful we got Cael. Even though it was s good move on his part, I can see it took great courage to make the move.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Josh777 had it figured out early. Just wish the thread continued after Cael was announced to PennSt.

SIAP, but Brooks took an OTC year after high school didn't he? If so, it's technically not a redshirt but pretty much the same thing.
Really? Aaron took an OTC year after HS?

He definitely went to the OTC his HS Sr season as part of the Accelerator Program.

Aaron Brooks On The Challenges Of Living At The OTC As A High ... https://www.flowrestling.org/collections/8046324-2022-2023-penn-state-coverage?playing=8149245

I didn't think he did two years there, but I guess I could be misremembering.

If the title of the thread was a question, my answer is, "Not until there are 10 undefeated 4x national champions in one year and all victories are by 1st period falls. And the NLWC had 12 (don't forget the women's program) Olympic gold medalist in one cycle as well.

But really the answer is "everyone go out there have fun and get better."

If Carter runs the table he’ll likely be 6-0 or 7-0 against other, previous NCAA champions.

He’s 3-0 against Mekhi (1-0, officially), and will hit Griffith in the dual and likely in the B1G final. He’ll likely see one of them in the NCAA final, and maybe one of them in a semi.

That is a pretty wild stat.

Reactions: mcpat
If Carter runs the table he’ll likely be 6-0 or 7-0 against other, previous NCAA champions.

He’s 3-0 against Mekhi (1-0, officially), and will hit Griffith in the dual and likely in the B1G final. He’ll likely see one of them in the NCAA final, and maybe one of them in a semi.

That is a pretty wild stat.
It seems like he'll break Griffith in half.

Reactions: dicemen99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT