ADVERTISEMENT

Too funny - here is the "play-by-play" entry on cheating b1g Officials fabricated Iowa 1st Down

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
"3rd & 1 at PSU 34
(2:37 - 4th) Nate Stanley run for 1 yd to the PnSt 33 Nate Stanley fumbled, recovered by Iowa Nate Stanley for a 1ST down"

Hysterical - the official transcript shows that the Officials acknowledge that the snap was fumbled by Stanley (video clearly confirms that Stanley never had possession of ball and it was a loose ball, fumbled snap from the get go. Not only that, but video clearly shows ball rolling backwards through Stanley's legs away from the LOS as Stanley dives head first into scrum in the diametric opposite direction ball is rolling loose on the ground.). Yet the b1g refs claim in their Official Transcript that Stanley recovered the ball and advanced it for a 1st Down! What a bunch of laughable bullshit as the video undeniably confirms. Video shows the ball clearly loose from the moment it's snapped and Stanley never has possession of it at any point during the play. The video also shows the ball rolling straight backwards through Stanley's legs (on a play that started 3rd-&-1) and is recovered by a W
Iowa OL while lying on ground (i.e., ball dead immediately). That should have been at least 4th-&-2, but the cheating b1g officials fabricated, conplete bullshit 1st Down (and their official accounting of the play) prove beyond any doubt how corrupt this league and its officials are. How about the Video Officials not stopping play and reviewing the spot despite video unquestionably showing the call and spot on the field were complete horseshit and off by at least 2 yards giving Iowa a totally unearned new series of downs and negating a negative defensive stop by PSU.

Last edited:
I was just reviewing that exact play! Even when they spot the ball it's short by at least a foot while they signal first down. Next play was Iowa's TD wherein the ball shifts while it contacts the ground. Replay calls it a TD yet replay of Freiermuth's TD inexplicably reversed. That's a 11 point shift directly resulting from dubious officiating.

I was just reviewing that exact play! Even when they spot the ball it's short by at least a foot while they signal first down. Next play was Iowa's TD wherein the ball shifts while it contacts the ground. Replay calls it a TD yet replay of Freiermuth's TD inexplicably reversed. That's a 11 point shift directly resulting from dubious officiating.
I'd have to see the replays. I think Iowa's TD was legit. There's no explanation for Friermuth's TD to be overturned unless they had a different camera angle. PSU's two subsequent holding penalties looked legit. I disagree with posters who wanted a facemask penalty when Clifford got poked in the eye. I'd like to see the 3rd down holding penalty on Reid when Iowa was backed up on their own 5. ABC didn't show it.

P.S. I guess by now we know that PSU will never use a fullback or have Clifford take a snap under center and keep it. I don't understand why we refuse to do this in certain situations like 2nd and goal from the half yard line. It seems to me that the chance for a holding penalty is much lower on a quick snap.

P.S.S. Good thing Cain was able to break a couple of tackles on 3rd and short to end the game.

Last edited:
Another thing. Since the officials ruled this to be a first down, the clock was stopped while they untangled all the players and respotted the ball. If the play had been correctly ruled as not a first down, Iowa would have been forced to use a timeout to stop the clock or probably would have lost 20 seconds or more on the game clock late in the 4th quarter when time was at a premium for Iowa.

I'd have to see the replays. I think Iowa's TD was legit. There's no explanation for Friermuth's TD to be overturned unless they had a different camera angle. PSU's two subsequent holding penalties looked legit. I disagree with posters who wanted a facemask penalty when Clifford got poked in the eye. I'd like to see the 3rd down holding penalty on Reid when Iowa was backed up on their own 5. ABC didn't show it.
I've watched the replays. Freiermuth's TD is confirmed clearly with the pylon camera shots. Regardless, to reverse the call they would need evidence to the contrary, which they do not. I'd agree the subsequent holding calls were legit though those plays shouldn't have existed given the TD. I'd also point out that holding could be called quite often, it's perplexing when it's called selectively.
As for Iowa's TD, I'm under the impression that if the ball shifts during contact with the ground during a reception that it's considered lack of control and thus not a reception. It's subtle, but it's there.
What we have are 3-4 calls, all late in the game, with the game on the line, all favoring Iowa. Bad calls happen. Bad calls consistently going against one team is another matter. Let's not forget that Big Ten officiating does have a rather spotty history either.

Last edited:
Me too. The interference on Reid we did see and it was just not there. They basically flagged Reid for the Iowa receiver turning around awkwardly for the ball. Rule for officiating is -- don't call something if you don't actually see it. Don't call based on an assumption.

But this crew was clearly out to throw the game. This was like something out of the 1990s and early 2000s.

You can tell a biased crew not because they throw flags but WHEN They throw the flags. This crew threw flags all game long on third down when they knew it would extend Iowa drives, and similarly on PSU plays to call back TDs and first downs.

And then they throw makeup flags on the other team at innocuous times. The only time they called holding on Iowa, it was a play that PSU had already blown up and they knew PSU would decline the penalty.

It's just too much to be coincidence. Franklin put it really well -- this is one of the least penalized teams in the country and all of a sudden -- playing for a crew that has had a lot of issues with PSU before -- all of a sudden they get around 100 yards in penalties to Iowa's 5 yards, and the PSU penalties were almost all called on really key plays.

This crew was absolutely trying to throw the game. To believe otherwise, it would take an awful lot of coincidence. I really thought Big Ten officiating had finally cleaned up its act but this makes you wonder.

I'd like to see the 3rd down holding penalty on Reid when Iowa was backed up on their own 5. ABC didn't show it.

Me too. The interference on Reid we did see and it was just not there. They basically flagged Reid for the Iowa receiver turning around awkwardly for the ball. Rule for officiating is -- don't call something if you don't actually see it. Don't call based on an assumption.

But this crew was clearly out to throw the game. This was like something out of the 1990s and early 2000s.

You can tell a biased crew not because they throw flags but WHEN They throw the flags. This crew threw flags all game long on third down when they knew it would extend Iowa drives, and similarly on PSU plays to call back TDs and first downs.

And then they throw makeup flags on the other team at innocuous times. The only time they called holding on Iowa, it was a play that PSU had already blown up and they knew PSU would decline the penalty.

It's just too much to be coincidence. Franklin put it really well -- this is one of the least penalized teams in the country and all of a sudden -- playing for a crew that has had a lot of issues with PSU before -- all of a sudden they get around 100 yards in penalties to Iowa's 5 yards, and the PSU penalties were almost all called on really key plays.

This crew was absolutely trying to throw the game. To believe otherwise, it would take an awful lot of coincidence. I really thought Big Ten officiating had finally cleaned up its act but this makes you wonder.
Damn straight tboyer, damn straight!

And what’s really humorous is I just read an article by Heather Dinich where she’s talking about playoff contenders and stated Penn State has to eliminate dumb penalties if they want to compete....really? Other than last night, we don’t usually get penalized very much.

Reactions: denniskembala
And what’s really humorous is I just read an article by Heather Dinich where she’s talking about playoff contenders and stated Penn State has to eliminate dumb penalties if they want to compete....really? Other than last night, we don’t usually get penalized very much.
We could easily eliminate dumb penalties . Join a conference that is not very visibly biased against us. And Heather knows that very well - she has covered us. It’s a running joke!

Not sure if it's the entire crew or just O'Neill. I thought it odd that one of the originals called PSUs fumble recovery a TD yet O'Neill overrules his own official to call it an incomplete pass without even reviewing it (forcing Franklin to burn a TO to request a review)

Not sure if it's the entire crew or just O'Neill. I thought it odd that one of the originals called PSUs fumble recovery a TD yet O'Neill overrules his own official to call it an incomplete pass without even reviewing it (forcing Franklin to burn a TO to request a review)
It’s the Conference...O’Neil and his crew are just the bag men!

Reactions: 91Joe95 and psuno1

P.S. I guess by now we know that PSU will never use a fullback or have Clifford take a snap under center and keep it. I don't understand why we refuse to do this in certain situations like 2nd and goal from the half yard line. It seems to me that the chance for a holding penalty is much lower on a quick snap.

P.S.S. Good thing Cain was able to break a couple of tackles on 3rd and short to end the game.

The Iowa TD was unquestionably pass interference.

Last edited:
"3rd & 1 at PSU 34
(2:37 - 4th) Nate Stanley run for 1 yd to the PnSt 33 Nate Stanley fumbled, recovered by Iowa Nate Stanley for a 1ST down"

Hysterical - the official transcript shows that the Officials acknowledge that the snap was fumbled by Stanley (video clearly confirms that Stanley never had possession of ball and it was a loose ball, fumbled snap from the get go. Not only that, but video clearly shows ball rolling backwards through Stanley's legs away from the LOS as Stanley dives head first into scrum in the diametric opposite direction ball is rolling loose on the ground.). Yet the b1g refs claim in their Official Transcript that Stanley recovered the ball and advanced it for a 1st Down! What a bunch of laughable bullshit as the video undeniably confirms. Video shows the ball clearly loose from the moment it's snapped and Stanley never has possession of it at any point during the play. The video also shows the ball rolling straight backwards through Stanley's legs (on a play that started 3rd-&-1) and is recovered by a Wisconsin OL while lying on ground (i.e., ball dead immediately). That should have been at least 4th-&-2, but the cheating b1g officials fabricated, conplete bullshit 1st Down (and their official accounting of the play) prove beyond any doubt how corrupt this league and its officials are. How about the Video Officials not stopping play and reviewing the spot despite video unquestionably showing the call and spot on the field were complete horseshit and off by at least 2 yards giving Iowa a totally unearned new series of downs and negating a negative defensive stop by PSU.

Just a question about the true definition of pass interference. It's often been said that when the ball is in the air, both receiver and defender have every right to go get it as long as they don't interfere with each other. So on Iowa's TD, if that WR is instead a DB, and did what he did to our guy who is a WR, wouldn't that be pass interference? He pushed our guy down and climbed on his back to catch the pass.

Another thing. Since the officials ruled this to be a first down, the clock was stopped while they untangled all the players and respotted the ball. If the play had been correctly ruled as not a first down, Iowa would have been forced to use a timeout to stop the clock or probably would have lost 20 seconds or more on the game clock late in the 4th quarter when time was at a premium for Iowa.

There was also a play, I think towards the end of the 1st half, when the clock stopped for an Iowa 1st down but never restarted after the chains were moved.

Reactions: acg116 and 91Joe95

The issue with those holding calls, is that the second one on Clifford's TD could be called every play.

LdN

Not permitted to have hands to the face. Well unless you are Iowa.

Reactions: 91Joe95
The Iowa TD was unquestionably pass interference.
I'm not a rules expert but I think it would have been offense pass interference if the receiver gained advantage by pushing off with his hands. Just leaping and making contact with his body isn't likely to be called. JMO.

The live and post game announcers were openly critical of the Friermuth call. None were critical of Iowa's TD catch.

Neither commented on Reid's holding penalty because there was no replay for them to see.

I'm not a rules expert but I think it would have been offense pass interference if the receiver gained advantage by pushing off with his hands. Just leaping and making contact with his body isn't likely to be called. JMO.

The live and post game announcers were openly critical of the Friermuth call. None were critical of Iowa's TD catch.

Neither commented on Reid's holding penalty because there was no replay for them to see.
I saw the WR pull Reid towards the end zone so that he had a better play on the ball. It wasn't just that he jumped on his back. Still a judgment call but I think there was a strong case for OPI. I also think there was a case for it being ruled incomplete based on how much the ball moved when it hit the ground. I felt the WR nearly completely lost possession when contacting the ground, then double-clutched and re-established possession. The incomplete thing was close though, and I never fully understand the damn rules on what is a catch anymore. Regardless, I don't think either of those possible missed calls were as blatant as Freiermuth's screw job.

LET'S NOT FORGET THE PLAY Where the Iowa RB fumbled & we recovered the ball, only to have an illegal-procedure penalty (against Iowa) nullify the fumble and give the ball back to Iowa.

Just my humble opinion:
— The Iowa TD pass was legit. Yes, there was some jersey tugging not easily seen without replay. Kid made a helluva play and possessed the football. Ball may have slid some as his hands moved, but he never lost possession.
— Reid had good position on the play. Looked to me like he was playing for an interception. An arm up there deflects the ball away.
— The fumble/bad spot is also tough to see without the benefit of replay. Sideline officials make the spot. I’ll bet every penny in my pocket they didn’t see the ball come loose. The key here is the dumb challenge on the play in the end zone. That was never going to be overturned and PSU wasted its challenge. I believe PSU wins a challenge on the fourth down keeper/fumble, but didn’t have that card to play. Could have burned a TO in hopes the extra time would have given replay some time to look.
— The PSU TD that got overturned was awful and PSU should demand an explanation from the B1G office. Freiermuth’s free hand came down maybe a few blades of grass shy on the goal line. The football was clearly ahead of the free hand when the knee hit. There was never any view shown that would clearly show the TD call was incorrect.

I am not big on whining about officiating but last night was a JOKE!

The overturn on Friermuth TD was blatant incompetence and the hold on Reid to bail out Iowa was inexcusable. All those holding calls? Seriously, how often are 2 successive holding calls made to negate TD's? These are the only refs who decide to call holding all the time when you can do it but never is it done. Finally, give me a break, Iowa is so freaking good and disciplined that they basically never held or committed any penalties. 80 yards to 5 yards on penalties, a complete and utter embarrassment to this sad sack conference.

PSU needs to lodge a formal complaint and investigation. This is horse sh## that needs to he addressed. Heads need to roll and we need to see accountability for this piss poor effort. Freaking conference is a bunch of clowns out to screw PSU.

These officials wanted so desperately for Iowa to win. I was stunned they reversed the targeting.

I can just hear the private conversation they had after the game. Why did you reverse the targeting that was a momentum shifter? Well, I didn't want it to be too obvious we are crooked as hell!

I am not big on whining about officiating but last night was a JOKE!

The overturn on Friermuth TD was blatant incompetence and the hold on Reid to bail out Iowa was inexcusable. All those holding calls? Seriously, how often are 2 successive holding calls made to negate TD's? These are the only refs who decide to call holding all the time when you can do it but never is it done. Finally, give me a break, Iowa is so freaking good and disciplined that they basically never held or committed any penalties. 80 yards to 5 yards on penalties, a complete and utter embarrassment to this sad sack conference.

PSU needs to lodge a formal complaint and investigation. This is horse sh## that needs to he addressed. Heads need to roll and we need to see accountability for this piss poor effort. Freaking conference is a bunch of clowns out to screw PSU.

These officials wanted so desperately for Iowa to win. I was stunned they reversed the targeting.

I can just hear the private conversation they had after the game. Why did you reverse the targeting that was a momentum shifter? Well, I didn't want it to be too obvious we are crooked as hell!
Let there be no doubt, behind closed doors the Big10 is laughing at us! They must be amazed how passively we accept this garbage!

The PSU TD that got overturned was awful and PSU should demand an explanation from the B1G office. Freiermuth’s free hand came down maybe a few blades of grass shy on the goal line. The football was clearly ahead of the free hand when the knee hit. There was never any view shown that would clearly show the TD call was incorrect.

This was the whole thing for me. His right hand is down, a centimeter from the line. The ball hand is clearly forward of that hand before the knee hits. The call on the field is TD. Was it close? Yeah, it was close. Was there irrefutable evidence that he was down? No.

How Toney wasn't ejected I don't know. I figured for sure he was gone.

I disagree completely on the Iowa TD. That was without a doubt pass interference.

I disagree completely on the Iowa TD. That was without a doubt pass interference.

He's also full of it about the ridiculous 1st Down the Cheating Officials fabricated on Iowa's last drive - it was quite clearly a fumbled snap (and Staney NEVER possessed the ball at any point during the play contrary to the b1g's ridiculous official transcript) and it was quite obvious as the replay they showed on the telecast immediately following the play. BTW, every play is supposed to be being reviewed - especially one as critical as that at the end of the game. Of course, no stopage for review despite it being beyond blatantly obvious on the replay they showed right after play on telecast before the next play was snapped - again, no replay despite a ridiculous mis-mark (by at least 2 yards) that fraudulently gave Iowa a fresh set of downs, go figure.

This was the whole thing for me. His right hand is down, a centimeter from the line. The ball hand is clearly forward of that hand before the knee hits. The call on the field is TD. Was it close? Yeah, it was close. Was there irrefutable evidence that he was down? No.

How Toney wasn't ejected I don't know. I figured for sure he was gone.

When I saw it live, I thought it was a helmet to helms hit and thus targeting, but when they showed a replay from a different angle, I felt Toney hit him shoulder to shoulder first, then the helmets collided. Given the way the rest of the calls went, I thought for sure targeting would be upheld in the review, but I honestly think they got it right reversing the call.

To add to what everyone else has said one of my biggest issues is the type of penalties called. Iowa had one penalty, an illegal shift, or false start, I forget specifically. The point is it was not a "judgment call". It was a call everyone sees and the flag has to be thrown. But holding, PI, etc. are judgment calls. So when one team has multiple judgment calls against them and another doesn't it is a clear bias particularly when those holding calls could be called every play if you look for it. There were clear holds on our DL getting to Stanley and not one single flag.

Reactions: TangSoo and TheGLOV
To add to what everyone else has said one of my biggest issues is the type of penalties called. Iowa had one penalty, an illegal shift, or false start, I forget specifically. The point is it was not a "judgment call". It was a call everyone sees and the flag has to be thrown. But holding, PI, etc. are judgment calls. So when one team has multiple judgment calls against them and another doesn't it is a clear bias particularly when those holding calls could be called every play if you look for it. There were clear holds on our DL getting to Stanley and not one single flag.

Exactly, it's the inconsistency of how they call something like holding or PI when one team has the ball versus the othed as well as the timing of the call that tell you everything you need to know. PSU was called for holding 6 different times in the game and was called for PI twice. Iowa passed the ball nearly twice as much as PSU and PSU leads the nation in sacks but somehow these same officials never saw Iowa OL holding despite beyond blatant holding happening all over the place (including PSU rushers being dragged down from behind as they had an open path to Stanley. How many times was Iowa given a 1st Down via penalty after being stopped cold by PSU (or by fraudulent spotting of the ball)??? How many of the officials calls bailed out PSU on 3rd or 4th down???

Reactions: TheGLOV
I've watched the replays. Freiermuth's TD is confirmed clearly with the pylon camera shots. Regardless, to reverse the call they would need evidence to the contrary, which they do not. I'd agree the subsequent holding calls were legit though those plays shouldn't have existed given the TD. I'd also point out that holding could be called quite often, it's perplexing when it's called selectively.
As for Iowa's TD, I'm under the impression that if the ball shifts during contact with the ground during a reception that it's considered lack of control and thus not a reception. It's subtle, but it's there.
What we have are 3-4 calls, all late in the game, with the game on the line, all favoring Iowa. Bad calls happen. Bad calls consistently going against one team is another matter. Let's not forget that Big Ten officiating DOES HAVE a rather spotty history!

Fixed it for ya!!

Reactions: Nittany_93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT