ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament -- Session 4 Thread – FINALS + Medal Round!!

PSUbluTX

Feb 7, 2018
Here we go! We’re down to our last 8 PSU matches of the tourney -- 6 going for 1st and 2 aiming for 3rd. Here’s what the Penn State Wrestling Club shows as the team standings for the 3 that still have a mathematical shot at winning:

Team Standings
Team
Score​
# F​
# Consi
Semi​
# 3rd-4th​
# 5th-6th​
# 7th-8th​
Max
Possible​
Penn State
129​
6​
2​
2​
1​
171​
Iowa
119.5​
3​
4​
2​
2​
3​
149.5​
Nebraska
98.5​
5​
2​
2​
134.5​

What: Finals (1st through 6th Place Matches)
When: Sunday March 5 at 4:30 PM (Eastern)
Where: Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, Mich

Live Video Streaming:

Live Audio Streaming (Jeff Byers scheduled to start broadcasting at 4:10 PM):

Mat Assignments link (scroll down to 2023 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, choose Mat Assignments then Mat Schedule – ignore the message that you have to be a Flo Pro subscriber)
Penn State Wrestling official Twitter link
Penn State Wrestling Club link (for team scores and more)

I believe that Iowa actually has 122.5 pts. A little closer that listed above.

I believe that Iowa actually has 122.5 pts. A little closer that listed above.
This is correct. Warner gets 2 for the MFF and 1 for finishing 7th instead of 8th since Caffey is not wrestling. The closest we will get is after Spencer wins at 125. If he pins Cronin it will be 6 points and put us at 128.5. After that, you guys pull away.

Anybody have the math for the pathway to a team title?
Reposting from Session 3 thread:
So running the math, Iowa is at 119.5 to our 129
Iowa has Murin, Warner, Nelson, Cassioppi. Warner is expected to receive a MFF so that brings them to 122.5.
Let's say Murin and Nelson wins by decision and Cassioppi pins (he's done it twice) They're at 127.5. This is assuming no more medical forfeits.

Let's say worse case scenario for our 3/4, Bartlett loses as well and obviously Van Ness does if I gave Murin the win. We stay at 129.

Spencer let's obviously give him a pin. That pin puts them ahead by .5 before considering champ points (+4). So basically if him and Woods win (Woods by decision), we need 3 finalists out of 6 to win assuming Kennedy loses. If Kennedy wins, we need a 4th.

So team race not totally over but yeah ... looks pretty good. Also, if Bartlett just wins against D'Emilio (or obviously if Van Ness wins), we'll finish ahead of Iowa with 2 champs to their 2. Once again, I'm giving Cass a pin.

Can someone run Nebraska's numbers? they are at 98.5, so they don't seem to be a factor to win BUT they face us in 3 finals and are Iowa's best friends right now.

Reactions: We Are . . .
If you take out injury defaults and MFFs:

Iowa has 23 wins of which 9 were by bonus. PSU has 20 wins, of which 8 were by bonus.

Iowa’s 9 bonus wins produced 13 bonus points. PSU’s 8 bonus wins produced 8.5 bonus points. (Translation: Iowa’s bonus wins include more falls and tech falls than PSU.)

Iowa has collected an additional 8 bonus points by Inj Def and MFF. PSU has collected 2 additional bonus points that way.

Reactions: We Are . . .
If you take out injury defaults and MFFs:

Iowa has 23 wins of which 9 were by bonus. PSU has 20 wins, of which 8 were by bonus.

Iowa’s 9 bonus wins produced 13 bonus points. PSU’s 8 bonus wins produced 8.5 bonus points. (Translation: Iowa’s bonus wins include more falls and tech falls than PSU.)

Iowa has collected an additional 8 bonus points by Inj Def and MFF. PSU has collected 2 additional bonus points that way.
Little different from PSU since Shayne was up 13-4 and on his way to a tech but it was a net one at best.

The way Assad has been wrestling, I doubt he beats Layne, let alone by pin. Warner wouldn't have pinned Caffey, Murin wouldn't have pinned Yahya (I think he beats him though), I'll give that he could have pinned Peyton Omania though since he's done that before.

It's been a net 6 free points for Iowa, 7 once you count the win for Assad as well.

Rare footage of Spencer Lee in the third period. He definitely gets a bit wobbly when the match goes that deep. Cronin is solid but not talented enough to capitalize on it. Still very unlikely, but if anyone can beat him at NCAAs, it'll be because they caught him gassed in the third.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Spencer didn’t look right in the third. Maybe he was gassed since he never has to wrestle three periods, but I really hope he’s not hurt again.

Lee’s condition can’t be that bad. He didn’t have to keep catching his wind in the interview.

Nice job Cronin. Spencer is a different animal if you can get him deep into the third. That said I don’t see anybody really capable of doing that at Nationals. 125 is just so ridiculously thin.

What’s wrong with the 3rd place match cam on big ten plus?

Seems fixed. It had been showing all three mats from a distance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT