ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone else think ND got screwed a bit at the end by the b1g Zebra's clock instructions?

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
duhO$U had to use their last TO to avoid a clock runoff on the Intentional Grounding. On the pass down to the ND 1 yard line, the clock is supposed to stop after the 1st Down inside 2 minutes until the chains are moved and ball is set for play (the clock was stopped with 3 seconds after tackle as the moved chains after 1st Down. But the b1g Officials kept the clock stopped and didn't instruct them to start game clock for an inordinate amount of time after the ball was reset for play.). In fact, the ball was set for play and duhO$U was lined up for several seconds trying to figure out what play they wanted to run (lot of communication with sideline) while the Official stood behind Center and kept Game Clock off - the Official literally waited until duhO$U said they were ready to snap the ball before the Official blew his whistle and wound his arm to start the clock.

The rules say the Game Clock should have been started much sooner and duhO$U should have scrambled far more to get that snap off and shouldn't have had time to call a play while the b1g Homer's specifically instructed the Game Clock to stay off and kept it off for an insanely inordinate amount of time - well beyond what the rulebook says for a reset after a 1st Down.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
The only thing that screwed the Irish was having only 10 men on the field on that last play - just inexcusable and on our a-hole coaching staff. There were bad calls all around and if you go to the Suckeye boards they're screaming about their Prima Donna WRs being held all night.

With that said, that's going to be a heck of a PSU - OSU game in a few weeks. I will say this though.....I was really impressed with the OSU defense who's been known to always crap the bed in years past on the big stage. They gave Sam Hartmann fits all night and ND might have the best OL in the country. I'm going with PSU 31 - OSU 30. Your OL will have to be rock solid against OSU. You heard it here first.

They needed to force OSU to use that last TO when they had the chance. Have to take that away from them once they were backed up there was no need to pass when both Defs were playing so well. Zero TOs makes their situation much more difficult. It was a rough last few series for the ND coaching staff

duhO$U had to use their last TO to avoid a clock runoff on the Intentional Grounding. On the pass down to the ND 1 yard line, the clock is supposed to stop after the 1st Down inside 2 minutes until the chains are moved and ball is set for play (the clock was stopped with 3 seconds after tackle as the moved chains after 1st Down. But the b1g Officials kept the clock stopped and didn't instruct them to start game clock for an inordinate amount of time after the ball was reset for play.). In fact, the ball was set for play and duhO$U was lined up for several seconds trying to figure out what play they wanted to run (lot of communication with sideline) while the Official stood behind Center and kept Game Clock off - the Official literally waited until duhO$U said they were ready to snap the ball before the Official blew his whistle and wound his arm to start the clock.

The rules say the Game Clock should have been started much sooner and duhO$U should have scrambled far more to get that snap off and shouldn't have had time to call a play while the b1g Homer's specifically instructed the Game Clock to stay off and kept it off for an insanely inordinate amount of time - well beyond what the rulebook says for a reset after a 1st Down.
Yikes

O$U defense did look outstanding last night. It will be a defensive struggle for sure. The Buckeye offense is not what it normally is. Rather pedestrian compared to previous years which is shocking. Take away Hendersons long run and the running game was not good. Heck, even on the winning TD the RB barely made it into the end zone vs. two guys. Day going off afterwards was classic Dennis Green crap…. “I’ve got to catch my breath”. Hilarious.

Reactions: Jerry
O$U defense did look outstanding last night. It will be a defensive struggle for sure. The Buckeye offense is not what it normally is. Rather pedestrian compared to previous years which is shocking. Take away Hendersons long run and the running game was not good. Heck, even on the winning TD the RB barely made it into the end zone vs. two guys. Day going off afterwards was classic Dennis Green crap…. “I’ve got to catch my breath”. Hilarious.
Agree about their defense but - keep in mind - the OSU OL is still a work in progress with 3 new starters. They did a nice job of protecting McCord for the most part. McCord was impressive as Freeman said after the game that ND tried everything to rattle him. That was a huge win for OSU on the road as that ND team is really good and will not be surprised to see ND run the table - if they beat USC which should be another great game to watch

Last edited:
The only thing that screwed the Irish was having only 10 men on the field on that last play - just inexcusable and on our a-hole coaching staff. There were bad calls all around and if you go to the Suckeye boards they're screaming about their Prima Donna WRs being held all night.

With that said, that's going to be a heck of a PSU - OSU game in a few weeks. I will say this though.....I was really impressed with the OSU defense who's been known to always crap the bed in years past on the big stage. They gave Sam Hartmann fits all night and ND might have the best OL in the country. I'm going with PSU 31 - OSU 30. Your OL will have to be rock solid against OSU. You heard it here first.
If that was PSU with 10 on the field for two plays we would be in an absolute uproar. I simply cannot believe that happened at the college level.

Reactions: 91Joe95

Personally.. I think once again there is too much hype around Notre Dame..they will very likely have three losses this year ( besides USC bet they are upset next week against DUKE).. and they had a weak early schedule before the Ohio State game..kudos for Ohio State winning.. because we want both teams undefeated going into the game in Columbus.. frankly the same as Michigan.. ND lost at HOME… and Day had some questionable play calling as well…and the “ Ohio State vs The World”? Really ? .. since when…the media loves Ohio State..

Reactions: psuno1
Personally.. I think once again there is too much hype around Notre Dame..they will very likely have three losses this year ( besides USC bet they are upset next week against DUKE).. and they had a weak early schedule before the Ohio State game..kudos for Ohio State winning.. because we want both teams undefeated going into the game in Columbus.. frankly the same as Michigan.. ND lost at HOME… and Day had some questionable play calling as well…and the “ Ohio State vs The World”? Really ? .. since when…the media loves Ohio State..
ND will get beat by Duke this week, they still had OSU on the hook and let them off just like PSU has done so many times.

Reactions: Bob2022
I thought that if anybody got screwed by the clock at the end it was OSU. If anyone on this board can remember a running play other than taking a knee that used less than 3 seconds on the clock I would like to hear about. if you look at the play in slow motion the clock didn't start until the play was well under way.

Reactions: YeOldeCup
I watched the final 2 drives of the game. ND had gained 2 first downs and seemed prime to run out the clock. Then JT "wreck a game" Tuimolauo did what he did to us: TFL on 1st down. Time out Buckeyes. ND calls a screen, JT deflects the pass, falls incomplete. Saves em a time out. Then a 3rd down run before the punt. JT might have even made this tackle, but I don't remember.

Trying to stop the Buckeyes weapons for 4 straight downs with the game on the line is tough. ND did a good job on MHJ, playing tight man on him, but when they went zone he and Egbuka found soft spots and got first downs.

Watching the final sequence, I don't remember anything out of the ordinary occurring. Tackle occurred with 10 or 11 seconds left. Clock stopped at 9. Buckeyes spiked the ball at 7. Incomplete pass on 1st and goal. 3 seconds left. Trayanum scores on 2nd down. He did a good job stretching and not letting his knees touch until the ball crossed the goal line.

ND probably felt like they got kicked in the nuts. Playing with 10 on the field will haunt them. The guy missing probably lines up where the run went too.

Reactions: 43214
whatever else happened, forgetting to put the 11th defender on the field is pretty hard to ignore. you could say that mistake was the main cause for letting osu score. that doesn't seem like a mistake that would even be made in high school.

what's up with day after the game? sounded like a pro wrestling interview, going on about 86-year old lou holtz who had merely stated the teams that had wins against him.

Reactions: Jerry
I put this on TOS as well but OSU did the P5 a huge favor last night. An undefeated ND team would have definitely taken a playoff spot away from a PS conference champion like they did in 2018. It could still happen with a 1 loss ND team but without a CCG it is much less likely.

I put this on TOS as well but OSU did the P5 a huge favor last night. An undefeated ND team would have definitely taken a playoff spot away from a PS conference champion like they did in 2018. It could still happen with a 1 loss ND team but without a CCG it is much less likely.
i liked it for the sole reason that it is now extremely likely (i'd say more than 95%) that both psu and osu are undefeated when they meet and it is a top 5 matchup

whatever else happened, forgetting to put the 11th defender on the field is pretty hard to ignore. you could say that mistake was the main cause for letting osu score. that doesn't seem like a mistake that would even be made in high school.

what's up with day after the game? sounded like a pro wrestling interview, going on about 86-year old lou holtz who had merely stated the teams that had wins against him.
I didn’t think that what Lou said was far off. When OSU has lost recently, it’s typically that they have been overpowered, not “out-athleted”.

I didn’t think that what Lou said was far off. When OSU has lost recently, it’s typically that they have been overpowered, not “out-athleted”.
I think all he said was here are some teams that have wins against osu, and they were more physical. and he is an 86-year old man who said this on the podcast of Pat McAfee, who is literally a pro wrestling announcer. lol at day

Reactions: KCLion
I thought that if anybody got screwed by the clock at the end it was OSU. If anyone on this board can remember a running play other than taking a knee that used less than 3 seconds on the clock I would like to hear about. if you look at the play in slow motion the clock didn't start until the play was well under way.

Huh??? The clock was supposed to be started as soon as the ball was set for play. How on earth did the clock not starting until well after it was supposed to (it's supposed to start as soon as ball is set for play after a 1st Down inside 2 minutes) hurt duhO$U??? duhO$U should have struggled to get that play off at all as there was only 3 seconds after pass to 1 - the line has to be set for a full second before the snap. The reality is that the b1g cheaters held the clock off well after the ball was set for play - duhO$U sat at the LOS for several seconds while the ball had been set for play but the Officials did not start the game clock as they are supposed to once it is set for play.

There's been some bad blood between OSU and ND for 2 years now and it all started with Marcus Freeman saying he made a mistake by going to OSU instead of ND out of high school. He later tried to soften his comment but the damage had already been done.

And then Holtz naming Day - by name - and his weak and soft team efforts in big games. You just don't do that. Expect backlash when it backfires.

And "soft teams" like Holtz' OSU don't drive the ball 65 yards in the last 1:30 to score the winning TD including a 3rd and 19 conversion. That OSU QB (McCord) - was bigtime as I read he converted 10 of 12 third down conversions - and 155 yards - in the pressure packed game including directing the final drive. Him and that new OL grew up in this game.

Huh??? The clock was supposed to be started as soon as the ball was set for play. How on earth did the clock not starting until well after it was supposed to (it's supposed to start as soon as ball is set for play after a 1st Down inside 2 minutes) hurt duhO$U??? duhO$U should have struggled to get that play off at all as there was only 3 seconds after pass to 1 - the line has to be set for a full second before the snap. The reality is that the b1g cheaters held the clock off well after the ball was set for play - duhO$U sat at the LOS for several seconds while the ball had been set for play but the Officials did not start the game clock as they are supposed to once it is set for play.
There were more than 3 seconds after the pass to the 1. The play they ran with 3 seconds was on 3rd down.

Reactions: gogolion and 43214

Just rewatched the sequence, and everything about this post is incorrect. Ohio St ran to the line and spiked the ball immediately when the ref let them go (and the refs set the ball pretty quickly).

duhO$U should have struggled to get that play off at all as there was only 3 seconds after pass to 1 - the line has to be set for a full second before the snap.

There was 11 seconds on the clock when they caught the ball at the one. Watch the above clip. Read my previous post somewhere on this board. More than 3. Heck, they ran 2 plays.

Just rewatched the sequence, and everything about this post is incorrect. Ohio St ran to the line and spiked the ball immediately when the ref let them go (and the refs set the ball pretty quickly).
It’s his thing. Just sit back and enjoy it. It’s entertaining. Bushwood has actually been a little calmer so far this year.

There was 11 seconds on the clock when they caught the ball at the one. Watch the above clip. Read my previous post somewhere on this board. More than 3. Heck, they ran 2 plays.

Went and looked at the play-by-play.... You're absolutely right. I was flipping back-&-forth between PSU game and ND game (ND game had less time) during commercials. I flipped several times to see if PSU was back on. In between flipping, I must have completely missed duhO$U spiking ball to stop clock. I saw pass... flipped.... flipped back... and saw ref setting ball for play, but not winding clock.

Totally did not realize I missed plays until you just pointed it out. Made no sense how clock couldn't have been running when set for play..... but you solved the mystery.

Went and looked at the play-by-play.... You're absolutely right. I was flipping back-&-forth between PSU game and ND game (ND game had less time) during commercials. I flipped several times to see if PSU was back on. In between flipping, I must have completely missed duhO$U spiking ball to stop clock. I saw pass... flipped.... flipped back... and saw ref setting ball for play, but not winding clock.

Totally did not realize I missed plays until you just pointed it out.

I had OSU vs ND on my phone while State closed out Iowa. I watched it live, but didn't remember it verbatim until checking the clip this morning.

The worst part of it all is nobody in NDs booth counted only 10 men on the field for those 2 goal line plays. The first is one thing; missing it twice? And if you look, the missing player probably lines up where they ran the ball and scored. I don't know how ND remotely almost stopped that play with such an imbalance.

Reactions: LandoComando
Sorry, but Day looked like an idiot (IMHO) responding to an octogenarian former coach that has had health issues.
He did. He was out of control and acting like a guy that's fighting to keep his job. Not a good look.

as soon as i saw him do that, i felt like our chances of winning the osu game this year were significantly higher than anyone previously realized.
Yupp--I thought that as well. I don't mind emotion from a coach at times but he lost control there--you can't lose control.

I can't believe Lou Holtz would make such idiotic statements if that happened to us , I would expect JF to do the same thing. I would so love seeing us pullout a win against the Bucks on a late bad call .Just so they'd know how we have often felt.

I can't believe Lou Holtz would make such idiotic statements if that happened to us , I would expect JF to do the same thing. I would so love seeing us pullout a win against the Bucks on a late bad call .Just so they'd know how we have often felt.
I am pretty sure that talking heads say things about psu's flaws all the time and Franklin, like 99.9% of other coaches A) does not have time to even know they said it, B) does not give a s***, and C) would not respond to it if asked to

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT