ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament -- Session 4 Thread – FINALS + Medal Round!!

I think people mistake analysis for poo pooing. (Almost) everybody is happy with the team in winning. But this is a message board for wrestling. We can break down a match or a situation without insinuating that someone stinks or crapping on them.

Greg rules. He’s a great wrestler and seemingly a good dude. He also has things he can improve and likely will need to improve to reach his goals.
Dogshit, cough, cough

O'Connor 2-1 after 1. Andonian went huge with a double overs throw right off the opening whistle, but no score.

O'Connor 4-3 after 2. Scored on an ankle pick converted to a low double. Nearly scored again at the end of the period on an outside trip at the edge, but Andonian hit an elevator to go out with no score.

O'Connor 6-5 final. Andonian T2 on a scramble that probably should've been O'Connor T2 on rear standing hand touch, but the refs missed it and Coleman waited 30 sec to throw the brick.

That should lock up the 1 seed for O'Connor at nationals. He's just so solid in all positions, and able to roll with anything thrown at him. Gotta be considered the favorite.

Last edited:
Strange night. PSU captures its first B1G tourney since 2019, a PSU true freshman captures a title, a PSU wrestler leads the tourney in scoring… and everyone is fighting.

Maybe I should say something really stupid again to unite everyone.

I did not. I said someone wrestled like dogshit.

There’s a big, big distinction there.

I like to cook. I’ve made some stuff that is absolutely dogshit and under my standards. I don’t think I’m a dogshit cook, but I did something poorly.
I think it’s a language deal, too. If I said someone wrestled poorly I don’t think people would be as upset.

But I also just generally have a *erm* colorful vocabulary. To me they’re all interchangeable

Dang, I stepped away for a few hours and came back to a lot of surprisingly harsh criticism of Kerk. I actually was a lot more encouraged by his performance tonight than at the Michigan dual. I feel more optimistic about his chances against Parris at Natties than before tonight's match.

FYI - not trying to change the thread but the Big 12 finals are running right now on ESPNU.

Reactions: danoftw
Copy and paste off of trackwrestling
I Dont Get It Over My Head GIF by Lil Jon

Reactions: 1AA and mcpat
We will see him again in Tulsa...this was Max's first time against him.
and he never had to go underneath Max yet! That will be an eye opening experience at Nationals. Max looked sick/tired. I am sure Cael will be rolling with him heavy the next two weeks to get him ready. Max has a great gas tank and he looked sluggish and tired? I am thinking he has the flu.

I don’t think intensity is the issue. He just doesn’t have any idea of what to do with Parris. Parris is the only guy with the mix of size and athleticism that Greg just can’t out athlete him. So he ends up taking some sloppy shots that may convert on a lesser wrestler/athlete.
Yeah but last year Greg had no problem getting to Mason's legs and pushing him around the mat? This year all of sudden he can't get to the legs? Greg has that huge wingspan and should be able to pick his ankles with ease? How could there be such a fall of from last year to this year?

Parris, who I hear is a pretty decent wrestler, had a real nice first period TD. Honestly, how many 245 lb heavies have you seen hit a clean fireman’s? It was sweet. They battled evenly the rest of the match, with Kerk forcing the stall call that tied it up and then, perhaps, running out of gas while being the clear aggressor in the 3rd period and SV. A PSU wrestler looking less than fresh at Big Tens is nothing new, folks. Put me in the camp that Kerk wins it all in two weeks.
I think Cael/Casey are playing possum with Mason. You can see that Mason is VERY LEERY of Greg because of his wingspan and strength. I think they want Mason as confident as possible that he only has to score once and then try and stay away from Greg for two periods and ride out another 3-2 match. They figured out Cassoppi last year so he is no threat to Greg anymore. I think they come out with an entirely new plan of attack that will put Mason back on his heels at Nationals and he will be shocked and Greg will be at the top of the victory stand!

I've watched Levi pick Robb up now over and over at least 10 times. I would really like to know how much he squats. The power in his hips and quads when he picked Robb up was impressive.
Levi is a huge 157! Reminds me of Zahid when he some how kept making weight at 174???? He must have had a hollow leg? He looked so much bigger than Robb! I hope he can make weight at 157 again next year. I think we are looking at Nolf levels of domination here! LEVI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerk got taken down in the first. Got him a little tired to get out. Then had to use energy again in the 2nd to get out again. IMO I think that was the match. Need energy to get a take down vs Parris. You use lots of energy at 285 when on bottom. 2 weeks hopefully a good game plan with a different story.
If getting taken down 1 time is the match then you better work on your conditioning.

If getting taken down 1 time is the match then you better work on your conditioning.
Nobody said 1 time taken down? I said after the 2nd time on bottom trying to get out. Not easy to get out from bottom with Mason on top.

Your logic it's no problem getting out. Cause I'm conditioned. The wrestlers aren't 125lbs.

Nobody said 1 time taken down? I said after the 2nd time on bottom trying to get out. Not easy to get out from bottom with Mason on top.

Your logic it's no problem getting out. Cause I'm conditioned. The wrestlers aren't 125lbs
1 takedown then starting down for the 2nd period should not be the match. If it is then he's out of shape. I dont't care if he's a Heavy or not. 1 takedown should not essentially end the match.

Last edited:
and he never had to go underneath Max yet! That will be an eye opening experience at Nationals. Max looked sick/tired. I am sure Cael will be rolling with him heavy the next two weeks to get him ready. Max has a great gas tank and he looked sluggish and tired? I am thinking he has the flu.
I do think it is the nature of the board that often when one of our wrestlers has a sluggish match that health is an issue. Occasionally that might be valid but not always. Max never dominates good long wrestlers from his feet. When he dominates a guy its from his physical ride. Unless he gets a leg, shoulder deep,he can't finish against a bigger wrestler. I saw it at the Lehigh match. For Max to win those matches he needs the match to go in a conservative pace like a chess match. Last year at Nationals he was very fortunate to win a close early match and the stars lined up correct from that point.

Last edited:
Some finals thoughts from the board's smartest poster:

125: Spencer looked good. The fact anybody thinks otherwise is a testament to how freaky he is. Coasted to an 8-2 win against a guy having an incredible season who he's seen 4 times and is being criticized for a level of dominance that RBY has every time he wrestles someone that level - and this is not a critique of RBY at all.

133: Model of consistency. Fix will be close, but I expect a 3rd title.

141: I wish the officials were as consistent as RBY. Clear nearfall. Stall call on Woods in the second was garbage. How was that different than RBY under Nagao? Officials can't figure out how they want to handle leg riding. Awful.

149: Funny to watch you guys complain about Murin being a staller when they've wrestled 21 minutes and SVN has zero offensive points and only a few committed shots. Murin is better in every position. SVN will be an AA down the road if not this year. Hope Max breaks through.

157: Robb got hosed on that call. Several on here seemed to agree at the time. Doesn't mean Haines wouldn't have still come back, but got to get that right. Big time finish in OT. Gonna be a good one. I hope he can't hold 157 after this year.

165: PK had a nice tournament. Hamiti is bettter, but I feel better about PK overall. Wrestled aggressively all tournament. Facundo's style caught up to him. He's won a lot of coinflips this year and that caught up to him. Gotta score.

174: Hammer. Nelson had a good weekend too. I'd watch Labriola-Smith wrestle every weekend.

184: Hammer. Assad was rough. Poor kid is always banged up too. Hope he can put it together.

197: Wow, Allred is on fire. Jumped levels in the last month. 197 is chaos. Warner is out of gas. Great career, but he's banged up and old and everybody knows his stuff. Similar to Marinelli. Not a hard guy to scout and it gets harder and harder every year.

285: Way too hard on Kerk here. Parris was really banged up last year. Stall calls were awful. Cass ain't touching these two. Hope he hits the buffet this summer.

is mason parris a staller?
Did Iowa wrestle a medal match where they didn’t get called for stalling?

I’m just having fun with you. I found all the stall calls on Iowa in the medal matches funny given GIA’s insistence that stalling is the PSU way. I realize you are above those posters, though.

To answer your question… I can only go by the trained experts calling the match. Two stall calls resulted in a point and forced SV. So yes.

Some finals thoughts from the board's smartest poster:

125: Spencer looked good. The fact anybody thinks otherwise is a testament to how freaky he is. Coasted to an 8-2 win against a guy having an incredible season who he's seen 4 times and is being criticized for a level of dominance that RBY has every time he wrestles someone that level - and this is not a critique of RBY at all.

133: Model of consistency. Fix will be close, but I expect a 3rd title.

141: I wish the officials were as consistent as RBY. Clear nearfall. Stall call on Woods in the second was garbage. How was that different than RBY under Nagao? Officials can't figure out how they want to handle leg riding. Awful.

149: Funny to watch you guys complain about Murin being a staller when they've wrestled 21 minutes and SVN has zero offensive points and only a few committed shots. Murin is better in every position. SVN will be an AA down the road if not this year. Hope Max breaks through.

157: Robb got hosed on that call. Several on here seemed to agree at the time. Doesn't mean Haines wouldn't have still come back, but got to get that right. Big time finish in OT. Gonna be a good one. I hope he can't hold 157 after this year.

165: PK had a nice tournament. Hamiti is bettter, but I feel better about PK overall. Wrestled aggressively all tournament. Facundo's style caught up to him. He's won a lot of coinflips this year and that caught up to him. Gotta score.

174: Hammer. Nelson had a good weekend too. I'd watch Labriola-Smith wrestle every weekend.

184: Hammer. Assad was rough. Poor kid is always banged up too. Hope he can put it together.

197: Wow, Allred is on fire. Jumped levels in the last month. 197 is chaos. Warner is out of gas. Great career, but he's banged up and old and everybody knows his stuff. Similar to Marinelli. Not a hard guy to scout and it gets harder and harder every year.

285: Way too hard on Kerk here. Parris was really banged up last year. Stall calls were awful. Cass ain't touching these two. Hope he hits the buffet this summer.
4 officiating mentions, all hurt Iowa or helped PSU, shocker.

Reactions: danoftw
Parris 3 take downs vs kerk we're explosive with purpose counters, kerk attempts were hmm let's say unsuccessful. How can kerk get better attempts, may some movement to create some angles and maybe try to let parris shoot first and counter him with some intention.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT