ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament -- Session 3 Thread

PSUbluTX

Feb 7, 2018
Setting up this thread early for tomorrow morning’s Session 3 since my morning schedule is a bit unclear. Links are updated below for the B1G+ mat streams that will be live tomorrow.

Great output by the team today! Nine of our studs looking to podium -- 6 wrestling for 1st, 2 wrestling for 3rd, and 1 who can take 7th. Great to see Kerk and Max solidify their separation from Cass and Warner. I was also impressed with Levi being able to hold off Kendall Coleman, who looks like he has legit grown-man strength.

Here are the team standings for the teams that still have a mathematical shot at winning according to the Penn State Wrestling Club (linked further below):

Team Standings
Team
Score​
# F​
# Consi
Semi​
# 3rd-4th​
# 5th-6th​
# 7th-8th​
Max
Possible​
Penn State
120​
6​
2​
1​
176​
Iowa
105.5​
3​
4​
3​
166.5​
Nebraska
98.5​
5​
2​
145.5​
Ohio State
77​
2​
5​
131.5​
Northwestern
64​
7​
123.5​

What: Consi Semifinals + 7th Place Matches
When: Sunday March 5 at 1:00 PM (Eastern)
Where: Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, Mich

Live Video Streaming:

Live Audio Streaming (Jeff Byers scheduled to start broadcasting at 12:40 PM):
*Mat Assignments link (scroll down to 2023 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, choose Mat Assignments then Mat Schedule – ignore the message that you have to be a Flo Pro subscriber)
*Penn State Wrestling official Twitter link
*Penn State Wrestling Club link (for team scores and more)

Last edited:
Setting up this thread early for tomorrow morning’s Session 3 since my morning schedule is a bit unclear. Links are updated below for the B1G+ mat streams that will be live tomorrow.

Great output by the team today! Nine of our studs looking to podium -- 6 wrestling for 1st, 2 wrestling for 3rd, and 1 who can take 7th. Great to see Kerk and Max solidify their separation from Cass and Warner. I was also impressed with Levi being able to hold off Kendall Coleman, who looks like he has legit grown-man strength.

Here are the team standings for the teams that still have a mathematical shot at winning according to the Penn State Wrestling Club (linked further below):

Team Standings
Team
Score​
# F​
# Consi
Semi​
# 3rd-4th​
# 5th-6th​
# 7th-8th​
Max
Possible​
Penn State
120​
6​
2​
1​
176​
Iowa
105.5​
3​
4​
3​
166.5​
Nebraska
98.5​
5​
2​
145.5​
Ohio State
77​
2​
5​
131.5​
Northwestern
64​
7​
123.5​

Live Video Streaming:

*Mat Assignments link (go to page 2, scroll down to 2023 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, choose Mat Assignments then Mat Schedule – ignore the message that you have to be a Flo Pro subscriber)
Consi Semis and 7th place matches are only on BTN+ tomorrow. BTN will be showing Men’s Basketball. 12pm Maryland at Penn St, 2pm Nebraska at Iowa, 4:30pm Big 10 Wrestling Finals, 3rd and 5th place matches streaming on BTN+

It’s 120 to 108.5 currently (including Assad’s MFF win in the 7th place match.)

I have PSU winning comfortably 145-149 to 128:

125: Lee +5.5. 4 additional placement points when he takes 1st and I’ll give him a TF in doing so.

133: RBY +4. 4 additional placement points when he takes 1st.

Teske 0. He’s the lower seed in the 7th place match.

141: Woods +4. 4 additional placement points when he takes 1st (although not a guaranteed win).

Beau +4.5. 0.5 advancement points and an additional 4 placement points for taking 3rd.

149: Van Ness +3.5. 0.5 advancement points (he draws 7 Rooks) and 3 additional placement points for taking 4th.

Murin +1. Loses to higher seed Thomas and then wins 5th place match.

157: Haines 0. As much as I want to see him beat Robb, I’m not predicting it.

Siebrecht +1 I’ll give him a win over 10 Gilcher for 7th.

165: Kennedy 0. I’m not predicting a win over Hamiti.

Facundo +1. Wins 7th over 8 Braunagel.

174: Starocci +4. 4 additional placement points for taking 1st.

Brands 0. He’s the lowest remaining seed wrestling for 3rd-6th.

184: Brooks +4. 4 additional placement points for taking 1st.

Assad 0. Assad already has his 7th place points (MFF win).

197: Dean +4. 4 additional placement points for taking 1st.

Warner +3.5. He’ll make the 3rd place bout but then lose there, which aligns with the remaining seeds.

285: Kerk: +0 or +4. Toss-up with Parris.

Cassioppi +4.5. He’ll take 3rd.

Last edited:
It’s 120 to 108.5 currently (including Assad’s MFF win in the 7th place match.)

I have PSU winning comfortably 145-149 to 129:

125: Lee +5.5. 4 additional placement points when he takes 1st and I’ll give him a TF in doing so.

133: RBY +4. 4 additional placement points when he takes 1st.

Teske 0. He’s the lower seed in the 7th place match.

141: Woods +4. 4 additional placement points when he takes 1st (although not a guaranteed win).

Beau +4.5. 0.5 advancement points and an additional 4 placement points for taking 3rd.

149: Van Ness +3.5. 0.5 advancement points (he draws 7 Rooks) and 3 additional placement points for taking 4th.

Murin +1. Loses to higher seed Thomas and then wins 5th place match.

157: Haines 0. As much as I want to see him beat Robb, I’m not predicting it.

Siebrecht +2. He wrestles 10 Gilcher for 7th. I’ll give him a MD in that match.

165: Kennedy 0. I’m not predicting a win over Hamiti.

Facundo +1. Wins 7th over 8 Braunagel.

174: Starocci +4. 4 additional placement points for taking 1st

Brands 0. He’s the lowest remaining seed wrestling for 3rd-6th.

184: Brooks +4. 4 additional placement points for taking 1st,

Assad 0. Assad already has his 7th place points (MFF win).

197: Dean +4. 4 additional placement points for taking 1st.

Warner +3.5. He’ll make the 3rd place bout but then lose there, which aligns with the remaining seeds.

285: Kerk: +0 or +4. Toss-up with Parris.

Cassioppi +4.5. He’ll take 3rd.
I don’t think Siebrecht beats Gilcher the way they’re both wrestling and especially not with bonus. But with his upper body stuff, who knows.

I don’t think Siebrecht beats Gilcher the way they’re both wrestling and especially not with bonus. But with his upper body stuff, who knows.
You’re right; I’m taking away the bonus point. I’ll leave the dub.

That upper body stuff is pretty much gone w/ the shoulder injury. I think I’ve seen but one “attempt” (50% commitment) at a throw since he got hurt. He could funk-roll for backs, though. From neutral, it’s been all about holding position, low leg shots, and funk defense (and for him, his defense is a pretty effective offense against middle to lower tier guys).

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU

Team Standings
Team
Score​
# F​
# Consi
Semi​
# 3rd-4th​
# 5th-6th​
# 7th-8th​
Max
Possible​
Penn State
120​
6​
2​
1​
176​
Iowa
105.5​
3​
4​
3​
166.5​
Nebraska
98.5​
5​
2​
145.5​
Ohio State
77​
2​
5​
131.5​
Northwestern
64​
7​
123.5​

Live Video Streaming:

*Mat Assignments link (go to page 2, scroll down to 2023 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, choose Mat Assignments then Mat Schedule – ignore the message that you have to be a Flo Pro subscriber)
Anyone else notice that the producer of the BTN coverage seems to have instructed the full broadcast crew to focus on and “talk up” the non-PSU wrestlers. I suppose this helps encourage the fans of other schools who are facing yet another epic tsunami of aggregate talent from our Nits. For those somewhat annoyed by the lack of PSU interviews and “mentions”, …. worry not because Tulsa is coming.

Anyone else notice that the producer of the BTN coverage seems to have instructed the full broadcast crew to focus on and “talk up” the non-PSU wrestlers. I suppose this helps encourage the fans of other schools who are facing yet another epic tsunami of aggregate talent from our Nits. For those somewhat annoyed by the lack of PSU interviews and “mentions”, …. worry not because Tulsa is coming.
I hope PSU wins 6 of the 10 matches and when they try to grab the champ for the interview afterwards, our athletes keep walking. Let them interview the loser.

As an Iowa fan, I could care less if they interviewed or “mentioned” any of my teams wrestlers, coaches, families, etc… if I won all the time. I don’t get the complaints that “other teams” get more coverage. It’s not like it’s hurting recruiting for Penn St. Seems like something trivial and doesn’t deserve a lot of attention but I see by some comments on this board it’s very upsetting to a portion of this fanbase.

As an Iowa fan, I could care less if they interviewed or “mentioned” any of my teams wrestlers, coaches, families, etc… if I won all the time. I don’t get the complaints that “other teams” get more coverage. It’s not like it’s hurting recruiting for Penn St. Seems like something trivial and doesn’t deserve a lot of attention but I see by some comments on this board it’s very upsetting to a portion of this fanbase.
I don't care. I hope PSU cleans house today and they dont give one interview.

I see how the previous post
has upset you ...

Now, could you just elaborate a little more?

Reactions: danoftw
Anyone else notice that the producer of the BTN coverage seems to have instructed the full broadcast crew to focus on and “talk up” the non-PSU wrestlers.
Bottom line up front - This seems to be an assumption, which I think is a bad one.

College athletes cannot be forced to do interviews, because they aren't employees and they have earned the rights to their name, image and likeness.

The BTN Producers can only interview willing participants.

I suspect as a team that knows the real goal is the NCAA championship (after the B1G championship finals), no PSU wrestler wanted to be interviewed after a semifinal win. Really, what's the point?

And as a viewer, interviews during live wrestling takes away deserved focus on the other wrestlers actively competing. Not being interviewed during live competition is a sign of respect. There's a reason NCAA interviews are taken between the breaks between weight classes.

I expect to see more athletes limit "free" interviews in the age of NIL. Now, if they're allowed to wear a sponsors' shirt (like Kerk did during his his recent press day appearance), well then ... but I doubt BTN allows it.

Last edited:
It's Big Ten wrestling, what fan bases do you imagine make up the majority of viewers?
All the Michigan fans were there, so if Iowa or Penn State are wrestling..... Put it on damn it.
Isn't that what pip was made for?
I don't need a 5 second clip of a guy getting his hand raised.

This, and I suspect it is just as likely driven by the team rather than btn. What happens after finals will give you your answer

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I can see the team score being a lot closer after session 3. Iowa has 7 wrestlers going to our 3.

At the same time, our margin in the MAX possible column will grow. Each time they step on the mat, they lose at least 2 points off their max unless they win by bonus ... if they lose, even more comes off.

Reactions: mcpat
It's Big Ten wrestling, what fan bases do you imagine make up the majority of viewers?
All the Michigan fans were there, so if Iowa or Penn State are wrestling..... Put it on damn it.
The more annoying thing is the parent interview full screen when action is happening. In particular, Larry "I'm gonna recruit your wrestlers" Lee and the ever annoying and arrogant Amine family.

At least after the finals the action is paused and the wrestler actually won something.

I hope that they interview Lee again during the final and Spencer gets thrown and decked in the middle of it. That would be TV gold worthy of a new 3 inch binder.

You’re kidding, right? HR exploded about all the love PSU got in the 2021 finals despite Iowa winning the tournament.

PSU will be on display in 60% of the finals matches. Going by seeds, BTN could have reasonably anticipated that number being 70%, as we had 7 guys seeded #1 or #2.

Michigan is the host team and the defending tournament champion. Let’s shine a light on that.

Minnesota outperformed in the first 2 rounds. Let’s shine a light on it. And now they have a #6-seed in Nagao making the finals. [EDIT — make that two #6-seeds, as I missed Blockhus upsetting Yahya]

Nebraska put more guys in the finals than Iowa. The semis were the appropriate time to shine a light on that.

Lee (along w/ Diakomihalis) is the first guy knocking on the door of NC Title #4 in 8 years. It’s going to get some light. And we know Lar loves to be in the mix. So be it.

It’s okay if PSU isn’t the center of attention 24-7. There is more than one story to promote the sport and build viewership. We should be commending BTN for actively seeking ways to make the Big Ten Championships about more than one team. How else would it engage and tap additional fan bases?

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to one of our 1 seeds losing today and 823 telling us what a shitty job Cael and his athletes do because they failed to perform to seed.
Besides, this gives you a good opportunity for some high intensity trolling on HR when the Hawk fans start squawking! 😈

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
Trackwrestling dashboard shows the 9th place tournament matches are set to begin, but it doesn’t look to me like BTN+ is carrying them.

The more annoying thing is the parent interview full screen when action is happening. In particular, Larry "I'm gonna recruit your wrestlers" Lee and the ever annoying and arrogant Amine family.

Without a doubt, the most dangerous place in America is between an Amine and a television camera.

Reactions: LHavenlion
Reactions: mcpat
Any predictions on RBY/Nagao score today? I think RBY beats him handily and will show AN the level he will need to be at to become a champion. Maybe even show him he should transfer to PSU to help him on his journey. :)
I predict RBY don’t take bottom! That kid is a BEAST ontop..I see a controlled take down and release match. I’m sure Negao will take topwhen he has choice

Last edited:
PSU will be on display in 60% of the finals matches. Going by seeds, BTN could have reasonably anticipated that number being 70%, as we had 7 guys seeded #1 or #2.

Michigan is the host team and the defending tournament champion. Let’s shine a light on that.

Minnesota outperformed in the first 2 rounds. Let’s shine a light on it. And now they have a #6-seed in Nagao making the finals. [EDIT — make that two #6-seeds, as I missed Blockhus upsetting Yahya]

Nebraska put more guys in the finals than Iowa. The semis were the appropriate time to shine a light on that.

Lee (along w/ Diakomihalis) is the first guy knocking on the door of NC Title #4 in 8 years. It’s going to get some light. And we know Lar loves to be in the mix. So be it.

It’s okay if PSU isn’t the center of attention 24-7. There is more than one story to promote the sport and build viewership. We should be commending BTN for actively seeking ways to make the Big Ten Championships about more than one team. How else would it engage and tap additional fan bases?
I'm for all those things. ALSO, for my 78 year old father to be able to watch the matches he tunes in to see.
As usual, as a wrestling fan you have to mimic The Minority Report just to catch one of the few opening round matches we had.
I can do it, many others as well, not everyone possesses the skills or the passion needed to watch I guess.

Any predictions on RBY/Nagao score today? I think RBY beats him handily and will show AN the level he will need to be at to become a champion. Maybe even show him he should transfer to PSU to help him on his journey. :)
6-2
I know it’s somewhere on the forum but anyone with link where I can see the bonus points for each PSU wrestler so far
From the event menu on track wrestling, click on teams and then the points for Penn State. I don’t think it lets me send a link, but I’ll try: https://www.trackwrestling.com/pred...2149&twSessionId=zhkfzjezsg&teamId=1912922143

sure let them interview the 2nd place team,will they ask how it feels to take 2nd??LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT