ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament -- Session 4 Thread – FINALS + Medal Round!!

I will agree that Nagao’s strategy was absolutely stalling, but I think it was still a relatively sound strategy. He was clearly outmatched and if he had gone in guns blazing I think RBY easily counters his shots, and majors him or worse. Biding his time and waiting for an opportunity on top was the clear course of action there. I’m still super excited for his potential, hope he AA’s this year and builds off his match against a legend and can maybe turn in to one himself.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Some finals thoughts from the board's smartest poster:

125: Spencer looked good. The fact anybody thinks otherwise is a testament to how freaky he is. Coasted to an 8-2 win against a guy having an incredible season who he's seen 4 times and is being criticized for a level of dominance that RBY has every time he wrestles someone that level - and this is not a critique of RBY at all.

133: Model of consistency. Fix will be close, but I expect a 3rd title.

141: I wish the officials were as consistent as RBY. Clear nearfall. Stall call on Woods in the second was garbage. How was that different than RBY under Nagao? Officials can't figure out how they want to handle leg riding. Awful.

149: Funny to watch you guys complain about Murin being a staller when they've wrestled 21 minutes and SVN has zero offensive points and only a few committed shots. Murin is better in every position. SVN will be an AA down the road if not this year. Hope Max breaks through.

157: Robb got hosed on that call. Several on here seemed to agree at the time. Doesn't mean Haines wouldn't have still come back, but got to get that right. Big time finish in OT. Gonna be a good one. I hope he can't hold 157 after this year.

165: PK had a nice tournament. Hamiti is bettter, but I feel better about PK overall. Wrestled aggressively all tournament. Facundo's style caught up to him. He's won a lot of coinflips this year and that caught up to him. Gotta score.

174: Hammer. Nelson had a good weekend too. I'd watch Labriola-Smith wrestle every weekend.

184: Hammer. Assad was rough. Poor kid is always banged up too. Hope he can put it together.

197: Wow, Allred is on fire. Jumped levels in the last month. 197 is chaos. Warner is out of gas. Great career, but he's banged up and old and everybody knows his stuff. Similar to Marinelli. Not a hard guy to scout and it gets harder and harder every year.

285: Way too hard on Kerk here. Parris was really banged up last year. Stall calls were awful. Cass ain't touching these two. Hope he hits the buffet this summer.
I read the entire post, but I saw nothing posted from a smart poster.
Just saying.

In between was a flagrant non-call IMO. Kerk got to his feet, they were close to OOB and Parris walked out pulling Kerk with him.
That was a blatant stall that wasn't called.
During the tournament there were 100s of occasions where the top guy just ran the bottom guy OOB with no call, but I saw it called twice. Once against Beau and once against Kerk.
No such thing as a bottom wrestler on his feet with hand control trying to escape deciding a new whistle start is a good choice. Everytime they run off the mat it is a top stall, call it.

That was a blatant stall that wasn't called.
During the tournament there were 100s of occasions where the top guy just ran the bottom guy OOB with no call, but I saw it called twice. Once against Beau and once against Kerk.
No such thing as a bottom wrestler on his feet with hand control trying to escape deciding a new whistle start is a good choice. Everytime they run off the mat it is a top stall, call it.
Similarly, and Max is super guilty of this, when you work up a leg then get to a 4 count then cover a hip or walk them off routinely. I don’t care that they never get to 5, it’s very clear what’s happening there.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
I read the entire post, but I saw nothing posted from a smart poster.
Just saying.
200w.gif

Similarly, and Max is super guilty of this, when you work up a leg then get to a 4 count then cover a hip or walk them off routinely. I don’t care that they never get to 5, it’s very clear what’s happening there.
Much like the trapped leg ride our guys are really good at. If the refs aren't going to call it, why not take advantage of it.

And every team does this and teaches it. And they should until they stop it. The top stalling situation is almost 100% rules caused and would be an easy fix.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
And every team does this and teaches it. And they should until they stop it. The top stalling situation is almost 100% rules caused and would be an easy fix.
Ferrari won a national title almost entirely because of his bullshit 15 second rides. At least the ankle ride is a committed ride and breakdown. Can argue the merits of it for sure but it’s better than the constant restarts.

It’s like when they put in the hard and fast rules that refs forgot that they can also call subjective stalling. Or they’re just afraid to call it.

Reactions: js8793
It looks like we have five sure-thing high AAs: RBY, Levi, Carter, Brooks and Kerk. Expect at least three champs from that group.

We have two more probable AAs: Beau and Max.

I could see SVN finishing 6-8. And even a R12 finish could mean decent points with his bonus potential.

Facundo? Anywhere from low AA to R16.

Should be plenty to win nationals.
I think Max is more probable to finish higher than Levi. He's a freshman and I know he's good but he can't have one hiccup and he's never been to Natty's before. Dean on the other hand tends to come up big on that particular stage. Hope they both do well.

everyone on the team has to wrestle like Star and Levi!all pressure all day!
I'll take everyone wrestling like brooks now that's some serious pressure. And when they back up just turn and jog to the center and make them come to you. Refs see that a couple times and the kid backing up is getting dinged.

I think Max is more probable to finish higher than Levi. He's a freshman and I know he's good but he can't have one hiccup and he's never been to Natty's before. Dean on the other hand tends to come up big on that particular stage. Hope they both do well.
Waaaaay more landmines at 197 though and I think the way Levi wrestles gives himself more margin for error. Barring an unfortunate/weird draw I struggle to see him being challenged before the quarters.

Reactions: The Kid Twist
197 is so even this year. None of the guys have been a consistent dominant force for long before taking a loss or 2. Who can get hot in 2 weeks and make a run? I wouldn't bet against Dean, but I'm not sure I'd bet on him either. My hope is that as with many PSU guys, he wrestles the best when the lights are brightest.

If Levi can be opposite of OConner, he very well could make the finals. He's so sound and nothing seems to bother him. Or he could have a freshman moment like you said. I'd be pretty shocked if he is any lower than 5th, depending on his draw. Besides OConner, Andonian and Ed Scott really worry me. Those 2 are just dangerous amd cam rack up points in a hurry.

Reactions: District four
I will agree that Nagao’s strategy was absolutely stalling, but I think it was still a relatively sound strategy. He was clearly outmatched and if he had gone in guns blazing I think RBY easily counters his shots, and majors him or worse. Biding his time and waiting for an opportunity on top was the clear course of action there. I’m still super excited for his potential, hope he AA’s this year and builds off his match against a legend and can maybe turn in to one himself.
Nagao was a little rough on RBY at the end of the match. Smacking him the head and crap. You could see that RBY was pissed and said something to him at the handshake. I'd love to see them wrestle again. I know RBY will give him the hard cross face ride!! Little punk will learn his lesson!

Reactions: Zukovski
Nagao was a little rough on RBY at the end of the match. Smacking him the head and crap. You could see that RBY was pissed and said something to him at the handshake. I'd love to see them wrestle again. I know RBY will give him the hard cross face ride!! Little punk will learn his lesson!
It’s a combat sport. Happens and RBY can handle it. I was particularly surprised by it though because I know the two have trained together in off-seasons in the past.

It’s a combat sport. Happens and RBY can handle it. I was particularly surprised by it though because I know the two have trained together in off-seasons in the past.
You could see Nagao getting frustrated with RBY turtling up and was trying to get him to move. Nothing I saw looked particularly bad from Nagao and I didn't hear any verbal warnings from the ref to back off. I'm sure RBY didn't enjoy it, but didn't seem particularly bothered by it either.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
You could see Nagao getting frustrated with RBY turtling up and was trying to get him to move. Nothing I saw looked particularly bad from Nagao and I didn't hear any verbal warnings from the ref to back off. I'm sure RBY didn't enjoy it, but didn't seem particularly bothered by it either.
That was a hard face smash to the mat and rough choke and cross face with 12 seconds to go and the match out of reach. You can see at the end Nagao puts his hand out to shake while he is sitting on the mat and RBY walks right by it and says something quickly to him that didn't look to nice. Rematch will be fun!

I see the opposite. Levi is fearless and has an uncanny ability to get out of bad situations (granted he has been tossed to his back twice lately). With the confidence gained from beating Robb, I think Levi will cruise to the semis unless he gets a bad draw. From there it's a crap shoot I give him a 20% chance of 1st, and about the same for 4th.

Max IMO has been a bit off this season. A little less aggressive and frankly less lucky. Let's be honest he had some very close calls last year, and ran the table. I would give this year's version of Max close to the same 20% chance maybe a little higher of winning it all, but IMO his ceiling oddly enough might be a little lower than Levi's.

I don't see a lot of opponents choosing down against Max in the 3rd, and unless he sets up more angles and gets aggressive he may not get the chance to bow and arrow the top 8 guys. I don't like to see one of our studs not able to deploy his best weapon.

Levi loves the deep waters, no panic at all in that situation, he's still loose and defends and scrambles as well as ever. It somewhat reminds me of Star in 2021.

Levi loves the deep waters, no panic at all in that situation, he's still loose and defends and scrambles as well as ever. It somewhat reminds me of Star in 2021.
Like Carter and Zain. Too mentally tough. If it's close, they just will themselves to win -- or do not allow themselves to lose.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Except Nagao extended a hand while sitting on the mat. RBY did not seem interested in acknowledging him until the ref had them shaking hands. I could be full of baloney, but it was like you got nothing for me during the match so you pull that at the end, you can wait.

Reactions: The Kid Twist
Yes -- and Mason Beckman had it too. Through sheer willpower only, he could make every match close and low scoring.
Say what you want about him. He has an anti PSU agenda. He was boring (and he admits it which I give him props) But Mason was a phenomenal wrestler, he was on the podium twice and R12 another time and took JC to the brink in that match.

Say what you want about him. He has an anti PSU agenda. He was boring (and he admits it which I give him props) But Mason was a phenomenal wrestler, he was on the podium twice and R12 another time and took JC to the brink in that match.
Beckman is a cautionary tale. He was a very good wrestler who could've achieved more if not for the self-imposed limitations of his chosen style. I don't think he ever would've been a national champ, but likely would've placed at least one more time, and placed higher.

Put another way, he was a more talented version of the Pepplemans.

The comparison to Conaway is fitting. Beckman was a better prospect. Conaway developed more in college.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Except Nagao extended a hand while sitting on the mat. RBY did not seem interested in acknowledging him until the ref had them shaking hands. I could be full of baloney, but it was like you got nothing for me during the match so you pull that at the end, you can wait.
I saw that as well. I took it as Nagao wanting a hand getting up. Which i believe most wrestlers would blow off.

Reactions: Agoodnap
A lot of folks here could learn from the Rutgers board. Compare Rutgers B1G performance in 2016: https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/tournament_team_score.php?id=15&type=team with its performance in 2023: https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/tournament_team_score.php?id=28&type=team.

The party line on the Rutgers board is that the program is getting BETTER. If anyone suggests it's not, they get roundly abused as being "unsupportive". I, myself, can't see a program with that big a drop as "getting better".

PSU won the B1G tourney (thanks in large part to Haines - without his points, PSU is second; honorable mention to Van Ness, who scored more points in the tournament than *8* finalists) for the first time in a while and is positioned well for another natty title. The sky is not falling. I trust Cael and crew to have the wrestlers prepared to do better in two weeks based on past performance.
Agree 100%. Cael does his best work preparing a tactical plan and getting his warriors in the proper frame of mind for their biggest tournament (nationals). He has a track record of getting his guys peaking at the right time. I’m not saying they don’t try to win BIGS, but they always perform their best at Nationals.

As an ex-competitive swim coach, you would Never try to taper for two meets two weeks apart. You chose your priority and you train hard until then. Then rest and focus can bring out your athlete’s best.

I wouldn’t be too tough on our guys. Their sights are set on loftier goals than last weekend. Let the coaches do their jobs as they see fit. This team will have their very best in Tulsa. Book it.

I see the opposite. Levi is fearless and has an uncanny ability to get out of bad situations (granted he has been tossed to his back twice lately). With the confidence gained from beating Robb, I think Levi will cruise to the semis unless he gets a bad draw. From there it's a crap shoot I give him a 20% chance of 1st, and about the same for 4th.

Max IMO has been a bit off this season. A little less aggressive and frankly less lucky. Let's be honest he had some very close calls last year, and ran the table. I would give this year's version of Max close to the same 20% chance maybe a little higher of winning it all, but IMO his ceiling oddly enough might be a little lower than Levi's.

I don't see a lot of opponents choosing down against Max in the 3rd, and unless he sets up more angles and gets aggressive he may not get the chance to bow and arrow the top 8 guys. I don't like to see one of our studs not able to deploy his best weapon.
I'm hoping you and I are sitting around on a Saturday night rewatching both win a national title. Now that would be something. Lol. Good points. I'm on the fence the more I think about it. And you are right dean just isn't himself but I do think he has an advantage at Natty's because he's been there before under those lights. Let's hope he backs up last year and proves us all wrong

Reactions: nitlion6
Agree 100%. Cael does his best work preparing a tactical plan and getting his warriors in the proper frame of mind for their biggest tournament (nationals). He has a track record of getting his guys peaking at the right time. I’m not saying they don’t try to win BIGS, but they always perform their best at Nationals.

As an ex-competitive swim coach, you would Never try to taper for two meets two weeks apart. You chose your priority and you train hard until then. Then rest and focus can bring out your athlete’s best.

I wouldn’t be too tough on our guys. Their sights are set on loftier goals than last weekend. Let the coaches do their jobs as they see fit. This team will have their very best in Tulsa. Book it.
If we walk away with six titles I'll shit myself seriously so I'm wearing a diaper Saturday night

I was thinking the same. He just didn't look up for this one. He does seem like a dude who's emotions don't spike either way. They will figure it out.
Maybe still training pretty hard, lets not forget the absolute HAMMERS pounding on Greg every day! I think he’ll show us the true Kerk in 2 weeks. He’s got this.

Levi trains with the best. He’s seen most everything in the room. That’s why he is fearless. He’s as strong as an Ox. Wait till he perfects the ankle pick…

I don’t think I’m seeing what you’re seeing. Parris didn’t shoot after scoring but why would he. Greg never came a near a leg. Did nothing to earn the second stall.
Greg didn't get near a leg because Parris played defense and quit wrestling. 38 feints but not one offensive attempt. Are you saying Brands was ok with his antics vs Starocci? That's not wrestling, hence the stalling calls and subsequent point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT