ADVERTISEMENT

Time to get real about this year.

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Last years seniors dominated the NFL rookie camp. It was awesome. To think that there would be no drop off this year was unrealistic. With the poor performance of our starting WRs, this team over achieved. All but 3-4 of our best players return next year. If Tommy is even just adequate and a good game manger, we could win the B1G. Our defense will dominate.

Last years seniors dominated the NFL rookie camp. It was awesome. To think that there would be no drop off this year was unrealistic. With the poor performance of our starting WRs, this team over achieved. All but 3-4 of our best players return next year. If Tommy is even just adequate and a good game manger, we could win the B1G. Our defense will dominate.

Overachieved? In the words of Charlie Tuna, "you are what your record says you are."

Gesicki and Apke. Barkley was a junior. Who else?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Gesicki and Apke. Barkley was a junior. Who else?
Makes no difference genius, we still lost them. The most experienced players this year, do not compare to the ones we lost. You are unrealistic to think that would not cause a problem. We played most of the season without a go to receiver on the deep routes. A huge difference from 16, and 17.

If at the beginning of the season you were told we'd handle wisky, lose by a point to osu, clobber pitt, and take care of iowa... you'd probably have taken it.

Of course, there was the mess in michigan that changed much (especially when noting that msu has totally sucked down the stretch.. aka, "after our game").

But overall, I thought the year was positive in most regards. I would like to have seen more from Slade (meaning more PT). Ditto Tommy -- and I wanted him passing and handing off more... I know he can run. I hoped for more of Brooks and Parsons but what we got seemed to work out well. I'd like to see the OL run block better, but they seemed to make progress.

The emergence of YGM is huge. Reid improved as the season wore on. I liked #26 on D and ST's and i think he'll make a strong contribution next year.

It was 'one of those years' where I thought I saw a glimmer, a spark, a reason to think we could really break out next season. We might know more with the bowl we get and how we play.

Most of the analysis I've read from long-timers speaks for itself and was pretty accurate (imo). I'm reserving judgment a bit until we play in the bowl game. If we draw a strong opponent and win, i think it's sets the table for '19. The schedule isn't favorable but it's fair (playing at the shoe in late november notwithstanding lol).

Really impressed with how the kids handled adversity this year -- they could have gone belly up after michigan but dug down deep and finished strong. Kind of a "B" season, but plenty of promise for '19 if a couple people stick around one more year.

And the roughly half dozen medical retirements incl. major losses on the dline. I would tend to agree in principle that the losses from last fall on top of the medical retirements had a greater impact on this squad than many expected. We all expected the graduation/NFL losses but not the medical losses that occurred during the off season making them less pronounced.

We ended up exactly where I predicted, unfortunately, at 9-3 with two of the losses being "shoulda/coulda/woulda wins but the final score dictates that number no matter my wants and desires. We had been given so much the two previous years that most expected more of the same and this team was not ready, prepared or matured to the place to provide that. I do believe next year will be an improvement on this year but the caveat is at QB and what develops. I'm encouraged.

WE ARE

Nine wins, good bowl coming our way and one of my favorite days right around the corner. NLI signing.
prettygood123.png

If at the beginning of the season you were told we'd handle wisky, lose by a point to osu, clobber pitt, and take care of iowa... you'd probably have taken it.

Of course, there was the mess in michigan that changed much (especially when noting that msu has totally sucked down the stretch.. aka, "after our game").

But overall, I thought the year was positive in most regards. I would like to have seen more from Slade (meaning more PT). Ditto Tommy -- and I wanted him passing and handing off more... I know he can run. I hoped for more of Brooks and Parsons but what we got seemed to work out well. I'd like to see the OL run block better, but they seemed to make progress.

The emergence of YGM is huge. Reid improved as the season wore on. I liked #26 on D and ST's and i think he'll make a strong contribution next year.

It was 'one of those years' where I thought I saw a glimmer, a spark, a reason to think we could really break out next season. We might know more with the bowl we get and how we play.

Most of the analysis I've read from long-timers speaks for itself and was pretty accurate (imo). I'm reserving judgment a bit until we play in the bowl game. If we draw a strong opponent and win, i think it's sets the table for '19. The schedule isn't favorable but it's fair (playing at the shoe in late november notwithstanding lol).

Really impressed with how the kids handled adversity this year -- they could have gone belly up after michigan but dug down deep and finished strong. Kind of a "B" season, but plenty of promise for '19 if a couple people stick around one more year.
I originally predicted 9-3, mostly because we lost 8 starters on defense. I didn't give us much of a chance vs. OSU or at Michigan and I thought we would lose another one along the way.

So why am I a bit disappointed? Wisconsin and MSU were hit with injuries and didn't turn out to be very strong opponents. We had a 2 score lead vs. OSU and blew it again. We were lucky to beat App State in OT.

It could have been much better but in the end it was still 9-3 and we could be much better next year if juniors don't leave early. Most schools would love to be in our position.

Hopefully we win a bowl game and build some momentum going into next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
Makes no difference genius, we still lost them. The most experienced players this year, do not compare to the ones we lost. You are unrealistic to think that would not cause a problem. We played most of the season without a go to receiver on the deep routes. A huge difference from 16, and 17.

Thought so.

Are you married to @Howie'81 ? ;)

You enjoy a very similar posting style.....an incessant need to be the “most positive” PSU fan while concurrently denying reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74
My wife tells me every morning that I overachieved.

Well, that brings to mind that classic unforgettable line by June Cleaver while speaking to her husband on the show "Leave it to Beaver":
"Ward, you were a little hard on the Beaver last night."

Are you married to @Howie'81 ? ;)

You enjoy a very similar posting style.....an incessant need to be the “most positive” PSU fan while concurrently denying reality.

Are you married to Peetz' ex-husband? Or is it her mother? You have an especially "incessant need" also ------ to denigrate anything related to that football program that you must hate ------- PSU's!!!! Perhaps, you are really Peetz herself and not her "pool boy"!!!

Reactions: lyndj
Are you married to Peetz' ex-husband? Or is it her mother? You have an especially "incessant need" also ------ to denigrate anything related to that football program that you must hate ------- PSU's!!!! Perhaps, you are really Peetz herself and not her "pool boy"!!!
“Perhaps” ;)

1 or 2 wins out of the 3 (Wisky, OSU, UM). That was the season prediction. There was a ceiling this year. The best teams normally have O and D peaking late in the season. Unfortunately for us, O peaked early and D peaked late in season. Appropriate love fest/allegiance to TM also handicapped our O the last 5 games. Next year, ceiling is very high and reminds me of some our greatest teams. No reliance on one specific player, maturing talent, unproven (but highly touted, athletic) QB, strong O and D lines. Ingredients for memorable year.

I think it is a measure of the PSU football program's stature (and its recovery from the Sandusky fiasco) that people regard a 9-3 season (with a pretty good bowl game and the potential of ten wins looming) as a disappointment. Perhaps a mild disappointment, but still ...

Had the Lions beat any of Michigan, MSU or tOSU, they would without doubt be playing on New Year's Day. IMO, the loss to Sparty is particularly irritating. That is a game the Lions should have won, and it would have meant a ten win regular season. I don't know why the Lions seems to have so much trouble with frickin' Sparty. I would like to see the Lions DEMOLISH Sparty next year, in addition to beating the other two teams. I think they will be have a chance of doing just that.

Nah, she just likes making excuses. This is college football. Roster turnover is part of the game.

If you would have told me we couldn’t replace the production of Hamilton and Godwin with Johnson, Thompkins, Polk, and the incoming freshman (Hamler, Hippenhammer, Shorter), I would have laughed. I thought Sanders would be less of a HR threat than Barkley, but still very, very good (and he has been, outside of his awful penchant for fumbling at the worst times). The biggest regression has been Trace, mostly because of his injury. I thought for sure in his third year as a starter, he would be *that* much better. Again, the injury, and a WR corps that forgot how to catch, made for a step back on offense. The D took a while, but finally got there. Sadly, they took their lumps against OSU and MSU (two games where they forgot how to tackle) which were two important, and completely winnable games. Add it up, and we are where we are. Lots to build on for next year. Reasons to be positive for sure, but this was a season that got away - no excuse for not putting OSU and MSU away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT