ADVERTISEMENT

Is this what Narduzzi was talking about this summer?

africamurphy

Apr 1, 2019
We all made fun of him for his "one word offense" comment this summer...but with this fall's offensive woes AND Yurcich's firing, it makes you wonder.

If you look at recruiting rankings over the past 10 years, we're closer to Michigan and Ohio State than we are to, let's say, even Wisconsin and Iowa and Michigan State. Of course, we know how our games with OSU and UM usually go, but we even have lost to the next tier of teams on occasion.

Franklin wins games because of his talent and DESPITE his coaching

He perhaps has an archaic, mid-80s Paterno philosophy on offense. "Don't make any mistakes on offense...keep it vanilla." The Tommy Stevens "Wild Lion," Will Levis isn't allowed to pass, the Taquon Roberson isn't equipped to hike the ball, and Beau Pribula isn't allowed to pass...is beyond head-scratching. Beau Pribula was a proficient passer in high school. Now he's suddenly no better than a RB who snaps the ball? Will Levis is an NFL starter as a rookie, but he rarely passed at Penn State. And when he did, it looked bad.

Clifford, who I often lambasted on here for being an average college QB, is actually an NFL second-teamer as a rookie. Maybe HE wasn't the problem, but the offenses Franklin put him in? I'm beginning to wonder.

It just feels like all the evidence is stacking up this year finally. Franklin=JayPa. This offense is Spread HD 3.0

Yes, Narduzzi and Pitt suck...but if he had our offensive talent, I bet he'd get more out of them than we do.

We all made fun of him for his "one word offense" comment this summer...but with this fall's offensive woes AND Yurcich's firing, it makes you wonder.

If you look at recruiting rankings over the past 10 years, we're closer to Michigan and Ohio State than we are to, let's say, even Wisconsin and Iowa and Michigan State. Of course, we know how our games with OSU and UM usually go, but we even have lost to the next tier of teams on occasion.

He perhaps has an archaic, mid-80s Paterno philosophy on offense. "Don't make any mistakes on offense...keep it vanilla." The Tommy Stevens "Wild Lion," Will Levis isn't allowed to pass, the Taquon Roberson isn't equipped to hike the ball, and Beau Pribula isn't allowed to pass...is beyond head-scratching. Beau Pribula was a proficient passer in high school. Now he's suddenly no better than a RB who snaps the ball? Will Levis is an NFL starter as a rookie, but he rarely passed at Penn State. And when he did, it looked bad.

Clifford, who I often lambasted on here for being an average college QB, is actually an NFL second-teamer as a rookie. Maybe HE wasn't the problem, but the offenses Franklin put him in? I'm beginning to wonder.

It just feels like all the evidence is stacking up this year finally. Franklin=JayPa. This offense is Spread HD 3.0

Yes, Narduzzi and Pitt suck...but if he had our offensive talent, I bet he'd get more out of them than we do.

Did you care about equal resources when Joe was coaching? How many wins do you think joe would have if everyone had equal talent? 204.5? 409/2

Joe has a losing record vs OSU and Michigan. The two schools with equal resources.

Go root for Pitt then

E-e-ee-e-ee-ee-e-e!!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24

HCPN was trying to say in his own bumbling style that learning a new offense is difficult. It's not just memorizing one page. He didn't mean that our offense was one page and his was much more complicated.

Are you serious Clark?

Reactions: joeaubie21
If offense is Franklin's thing, then he, as head coach, is the ultimate problem. The endless turnover of coaches on the offensive side directly reflects on his area of "competence". If I were more ambitious, I'd put together a list of coaching departures on that side of the ball. A few went on to greener pastures but even a couple of them were probably on the hot seat with him. I agree with Africa Murphy 100%. Forget Narduzzi. Just look for yourself.

Reactions: jbenedict

Narduzzi is a defensive coach. He doesn't get anything out of the offense because he stays out of it. With that said, Franklin was an offensive coach and not a very good one at that. As a coordinator, Narduzzi is a top five coach. If he got fired from Pitt at season's end, I would make a full court press to recruit him for our DC even if it meant firing Diaz because Diaz isn't nearly as good of a DC.

Narduzzi? Really? Wow, just wow. Upsetting a “good” team in the ACC is a little different than upsetting OSU or Michigan.

Reactions: JJTopp99

The Tommy Stevens "Wild Lion," Will Levis isn't allowed to pass, the Taquon Roberson isn't equipped to hike the ball, and Beau Pribula isn't allowed to pass...is beyond head-scratching.

I found it strange that Allar was running as much as he was. That isn't who he is. You'd think CJF would have taught him to slide if that was in the gameplan.

HCPN was trying to say in his own bumbling style that learning a new offense is difficult. It's not just memorizing one page. He didn't mean that our offense was one page and his was much more complicated.
I think he was clearly taking a shot at Penn State. He has a history of opening mouth and inserting foot.

Franklin did it a few times early on with his dominate the state and playing Pitt was the same as playing Akron comments. I get what he was saying and both were technically true meaning he needs to get the best players in region and winning/losing to Pitt counts the same as winning/losing to Akron. The media loves that crap. Thankfully, he has learned. Narduzzi has not.

I found it strange that Allar was running as much as he was. That isn't who he is. You'd think CJF would have taught him to slide if that was in the gameplan.
I saw that coming a mile away. We now have a full on return to the John Donovan offense of 14 and 15 when Franklin and company, not the sanctions, ran the team into the ground. If Kraft doesn't step in to right the ship, I think we are heading right back there next year.

I saw that coming a mile away. We now have a full on return to the John Donovan offense of 14 and 15 when Franklin and company, not the sanctions, ran the team into the ground. If Kraft doesn't step in to right the ship, I think we are heading right back there next year.
i don't know how you can say it was not the sanctions in 2014

Reactions: Strick73
And remember, Franklin screwed it all up with Christian Hackenberg. Wait, Hackenberg was a total bust who never saw the field with the New York Jets. Carry on.
Hackenberg was less developed when he left Penn State than when he arrived. That is a fact and Franklin, Donovan (worse D1 coordinator in history) and Rahne (worse D1 QB coach in history) own it.

i don't know how you can say it was not the sanctions in 2014
The defense was stocked with talent for two years (as much or more than the current team) and more than enough talent on offense to get by with with good coaching. We had the worst offensive coaching in Big Ten history in 2014 and 2015. That was the difference, not the sanctions. The sanctions provided a ceiling for the team lower than what it would have been otherwise with a new coach. But make no mistake, coaching incompetence was the problem. Nobody made Franklin bring John Donovan, Ricky Rahne, Herb Hand and Josh Gattis to Happy Valley. He did it on his own and the team paid for it.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and Ian
The defense was stocked with talent for two years (as much or more than the current team) and more than enough talent on offense to get by with with good coaching. We had the worst offensive coaching in Big Ten history in 2014 and 2015. That was the difference, not the sanctions. The sanctions provided a ceiling for the team lower than what it would have been otherwise with a new coach. But make no mistake, coaching incompetence was the problem. Nobody made Franklin bring John Donovan, Ricky Rahne, Herb Hand and Josh Gattis to Happy Valley. He did it on his own and the team paid for it.

Brump!!!!

I think he was clearly taking a shot at Penn State. He has a history of opening mouth and inserting foot.

Franklin did it a few times early on with his dominate the state and playing Pitt was the same as playing Akron comments. I get what he was saying and both were technically true meaning he needs to get the best players in region and winning/losing to Pitt counts the same as winning/losing to Akron. The media loves that crap. Thankfully, he has learned. Narduzzi has not.
That lunkhead totally has mangled Pitt’s qb situation since Pickett left. In the last two seasons, at least five qbs have started games for Pitt, including three this season. Their offense has stunk for the last two seasons; it makes PSU’s offense look great by comparison. He’s the last dope who should be criticizing other team’s offenses.

By the way, a little birdie told me last week that Narduzzi brought in Jurkovic, who only had 80% arm strength in his throwing arm. But he’s an offensive genius.

Hackenberg was less developed when he left Penn State than when he arrived. That is a fact and Franklin, Donovan (worse D1 coordinator in history) and Rahne (worse D1 QB coach in history) own it.
Did you ever watch Hack in high school? He wasn’t very impressive and had many of the same issues that he had at Penn State and the NFL.

Have you seen Narduzzi‘s offense this year? If you have, you wouldn’t take anything that he says about offense seriously.

Did you care about equal resources when Joe was coaching? How many wins do you think joe would have if everyone had equal talent? 204.5? 409/2

Joe has a losing record vs OSU and Michigan. The two schools with equal resources.
Most of those losses came when he was past 70. In his prime, no way.

I thought the same...but it was the play that was working the most....even on the dreaded 4th down strip/fumble vs UM.

Totally out of character until we do it so many times that our young star qb gets concussed for not knowing how to protect himself.

I'd put that on James too. Running Allar given all of our injury history w Clifford is a strategic decision worthy of Head Coach input. The result is what it is. Bad call.

Narduzzi is a defensive coach. He doesn't get anything out of the offense because he stays out of it. With that said, Franklin was an offensive coach and not a very good one at that. As a coordinator, Narduzzi is a top five coach. If he got fired from Pitt at season's end, I would make a full court press to recruit him for our DC even if it meant firing Diaz because Diaz isn't nearly as good of a DC.
Just stop. Narduzzi is average at best.

Most of those losses came when he was past 70. In his prime, no way.
You mean like losing to Rutgers in his prime? In the 70s and 80s he had 6 season he lost 4 or more games. For his career Paterno was a 9-3 coach yet the sky is falling now when Penn State goes 10-2.

You mean like losing to Rutgers in his prime? In the 70s and 80s he had 6 season he lost 4 or more games. For his career Paterno was a 9-3 coach yet the sky is falling now when Penn State goes 10-2.
It is tough for people to see the truth about Joe. He was a great coach and eventually won some big games. But he also lost some absolutely awful games to the greats like Alabama (losing record to them no less) and even Rutgers as you mentioned. For many of his best years he played with the luxury of an east coast independent schedule. He should never agreed to join a Midwest conference. We were never treated fairly in this conference.

Reactions: PearlandLion
Did you ever watch Hack in high school? He wasn’t very impressive and had many of the same issues that he had at Penn State and the NFL.
Hack was the poster child for 7 on 7 hero. He look great in shorts and T shirt but come game time it fell apart. He had a cannon for an arm and could make all the throws but just couldn’t handle when facing a live rush. People always made excuses for him and bought the hype. He never produced in high school, college or the NFL.

Narduzzi defenses at Pitt has been mediocre at best. The ironic part is Pitt best seasons have come when they had good offenses and bad defenses.

They lost 1 game to Rutgers since 1950. You act like it was a fairly regular occurrence. That is like saying Michigan loses to Appalachian State because it happened once.

They lost 1 game to Rutgers since 1950. You act like it was a fairly regular occurrence. That is like saying Michigan loses to Appalachian State because it happened once.
I know it was a one time event. The original poster claimed Joe would never lose to Ohio State and Michigan in the 80s. Yet in the 80s Penn State had bad teams and bad loses.

I know it was a one time event. The original poster claimed Joe would never lose to Ohio State and Michigan in the 80s. Yet in the 80s Penn State had bad teams and bad loses.
While I agree, the difference is Joe broke through. CJF has yet to do so. Until he does, there will always be negative talk about him. And to think that it is not fair, is naive (not saying you feel that way).

While I agree, the difference is Joe broke through. CJF has yet to do so. Until he does, there will always be negative talk about him. And to think that it is not fair, is naive (not saying you feel that way).
But Joe also didn’t break through while playing in a division with one of the top 3 teams in the nation in it every year and another top 3 team in it for the past three years. That makes it a bit harder to break through. Would Joe have broken through if they played in the same division as Bama and Auburn?

Dude. Give it up. Franklin is not even remotely in Joe’s league as a coach. Go back and look at some of the wins Joe has. On the Road. I personally attended two (2) wins on road (not at neutral site) against two #1s late in season/last game.

Last edited:
But Joe also didn’t break through while playing in a division with one of the top 3 teams in the nation in it every year and another top 3 team in it for the past three years. That makes it a bit harder to break through. Would Joe have broken through if they played in the same division as Bama and Auburn?
I think you read too much into my post. I am simply saying Joe gets a pass for the tough seasons and bad losses because of two national titles.

I think you read too much into my post. I am simply saying Joe gets a pass for the tough seasons and bad losses because of two national titles.
And Joe had more “uncrowned” undefeated teams than the rest of the NCAA combined!

Dude. Give it up. Franklin is not even remotely in Joe’s league as a coach. Go back and look at some of the wins Joe has. On the Road. I personally attended to wins on road (but at neutral site) against two #1s late in season/last game.
I not saying Joe didn’t have great wins or that Franklin in the same league. I am just saying people act if the Ohio State and Michigan losses never happened under Paterno. My whole point is Paterno more often than not lost 2 or more games a season. However for some reason it now unacceptable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT