ADVERTISEMENT

Is this what Narduzzi was talking about this summer?

Because of the incredibly weak schedule Penn state played for years.
Here we go again. At least beginning from the mid 70s through 1992, was PSU's traditional Eastern and independent schedule weaker than OSU's and Michigan's Big 10 schedule or OU's or Nebraska's Big 8 schedule? My answer is no, and IMO PSU's schedule during that time was much tougher.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
We all made fun of him for his "one word offense" comment this summer...but with this fall's offensive woes AND Yurcich's firing, it makes you wonder.

If you look at recruiting rankings over the past 10 years, we're closer to Michigan and Ohio State than we are to, let's say, even Wisconsin and Iowa and Michigan State. Of course, we know how our games with OSU and UM usually go, but we even have lost to the next tier of teams on occasion.

Franklin wins games because of his talent and DESPITE his coaching

He perhaps has an archaic, mid-80s Paterno philosophy on offense. "Don't make any mistakes on offense...keep it vanilla." The Tommy Stevens "Wild Lion," Will Levis isn't allowed to pass, the Taquon Roberson isn't equipped to hike the ball, and Beau Pribula isn't allowed to pass...is beyond head-scratching. Beau Pribula was a proficient passer in high school. Now he's suddenly no better than a RB who snaps the ball? Will Levis is an NFL starter as a rookie, but he rarely passed at Penn State. And when he did, it looked bad.

Clifford, who I often lambasted on here for being an average college QB, is actually an NFL second-teamer as a rookie. Maybe HE wasn't the problem, but the offenses Franklin put him in? I'm beginning to wonder.

It just feels like all the evidence is stacking up this year finally. Franklin=JayPa. This offense is Spread HD 3.0

Yes, Narduzzi and Pitt suck...but if he had our offensive talent, I bet he'd get more out of them than we do.
Interesting post... What I see is Franklin seems to be set in what he wants his offense to look like but his recruiting is often misaligned to run the style he is trying to play. I really don't get the put the hand cuffs on kids like he has done with Levis and now Pribula - let them play! But when it comes down to it Joel Klatt nailed it this week in his podcast, Franklin rarely allows his OC to put his players in a position to max out their skills.

Narduzzi is a defensive coach. He doesn't get anything out of the offense because he stays out of it. With that said, Franklin was an offensive coach and not a very good one at that. As a coordinator, Narduzzi is a top five coach. If he got fired from Pitt at season's end, I would make a full court press to recruit him for our DC even if it meant firing Diaz because Diaz isn't nearly as good of a DC.
Diaz isn’t nearly as good of a DC as Narduzzi. That must be some good stuff you’re smoking.

Interesting post... What I see is Franklin seems to be set in what he wants his offense to look like but his recruiting is often misaligned to run the style he is trying to play. I really don't get the put the hand cuffs on kids like he has done with Levis and now Pribula - let them play! But when it comes down to it Joel Klatt nailed it this week in his podcast, Franklin rarely allows his OC to put his players in a position to max out their skills.
Yeah and Klatt knows that Franklin was restricting Yurcich how?

Did you actually watch any of his defenses at Michigan State? I am going to guess not because this really isn't debatable.
You use the strength of the Big 10 now to bash Franklin, but you’re going to pump up Narduzzi based on his performance at MSU during a time when the Big was much weaker and MSU wasn’t in a division with the two best teams in the conference. Unbelievable how far you will stretch things to trash all things James Franklin and his staff.

Here we go again. At least beginning from the mid 70s through 1992, was PSU's traditional Eastern and independent schedule weaker than OSU's and Michigan's Big 10 schedule or OU's or Nebraska's Big 8 schedule? My answer is no, and IMO PSU's schedule during that time was much tougher.
it is revisionist history. some of those schedules were loaded with difficult opponents. the fact that pitt, syracuse or bc might have been some of the games doesn't negate the rest of it. look at the 1990 schedule for example:

@USC, @Alabama, @ND, vs Texas

even if the rest of it was mediocre eastern teams, that is a very hard schedule and more difficult than our recent ones

it is revisionist history. some of those schedules were loaded with difficult opponents. the fact that pitt, syracuse or bc might have been some of the games doesn't negate the rest of it. look at the 1990 schedule for example:

even if the rest of it was mediocre eastern teams, that is a very hard schedule and more difficult than our recent ones
Speaking of revisionist history, USC, Bama and ND were not that strong that year. Bama was 7-5, USC was 8-3-1, and ND was 9-3.

It is 100% true. Diaz couldn't hold Narduzzi's jock. It isn't close. If he wanted to come to state college, we fire Diaz yesterday.
Which statement is more true - PSU would fire Diaz if they could hire Narduzzi as DC OR Pitt would fire Narduzzi if they could hire Diaz as HC?

Why does he have 3 wins?
Pitt’s very well coached defense under that defensive mastermind just gave up 30 points to a five loss Duke team playing with a frosh qb. Yeah, I guess you can say that Narduzzi is just a much better coach than Diaz. What a joke

Yeah, the master defense genius just blew another game to a weak Duke team to finish a grand 3-9.

Per Narducci, "we have to score touchdowns instead of FG's". In others words it's "their fault NOT me. A great man.

USC finished 8-4-1 ranked 20th
Texas finished 10-2 ranked 12th
Alabama finished 7-5 and unranked
ND finished 9-3 ranked 6th.

is it really more difficult then

Michigan 12-0 ranked 2nd
Ohio State 11-1 ranked 6th
Iowa 10-2 ranked 18th
WVU 8-4 and unranked

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT