ADVERTISEMENT

Game grades and predictions

bdgan

May 29, 2008
QB A-
I was very impressed with Allar. He has amazing arm strength and I like the way he buys time stepping up in the pocket. The only negative is he had a couple of passes that could have been intercepted but overall better than expected. Let's see how he does when throwing into tighter windows.

OL B-
The expectation was that this would be one of PSU's best OLs and it was going up against a weak WVa defense. Allar faced plenty of pressure and often had to use his mobility to escape trouble. The running game was solid but not spectacular. I might be too critical here but I was looking for a more dominant performance against a presumably weak defense.

RB B+
Singleton & Allen both averaged > 5 yds per carry. I liked the inside screen to Carter for 15 yds. A couple of 5 yard runs looked like they could have gone a long way if not tripped up.

TE ?
A lot of us expected more passing to the TEs given the uncertainty at WR. I think Warren was targeted twice with one catch. I don't think Johnson wasn't targeted. Maybe somebody else can comment on their blocking.

WR A-
This was a question going into the game and the WRs were very good. Smith and Wallace were both solid and Clifford/McClain were pleasant surprises. I think McClain in particular is going to have a good year for PSU. My only question is how they'll do against better defenses. WVa DBs played 10 yds deep and our guys and they couldn't keep up athletically. Will they be able to get better separation against better defenses that use press man coverage?

DL B-
WVa is supposed to have a great OL and a weak passing game. Giving up 146 rushing yards isn't horrible but I think our guys got bullied a bit. We didn't put up much of a challenge on 3rd and 4th and short.
P.S. IMO the play where WVa had 2 QBs on the field was the worst play call of the day, partly because PSU hadn't shown the ability to stop 2-3 yd carries up the middle.

LB C+
Jacobs was very good. Carter took some bad angles and missed his gap responsibility a few times. Some of that might be caused by Diaz' scheme where he prioritizes moving Carter around in pursuit of explosive plays. Deluca & Elsdon struggled. Kobe King was OK.

DB A
I'm not sure how much was due to WVa's poor passing attack but our DBs looked solid. Jaylen Reed looked very good which is important with Jayir Brown gone.

Special teams D
One kick return for 19 yds. One punt return for -2 yds. 1-3 on FGs. Thompson had a 29 yd punt but his second punt was better at 46 yds.
P.S. Sahaydak put a good strike on both missed FGs which tells me he wasn't afraid of the environment. Nothing against Felkins but I hope he gets another chance.

Predictions:
OSU only scored 23 at Indiana. I assume they'll get better but so will PSU. I think we have a 50/50 chance of beating them on the road this year.

I saw nothing in our DL and at MLB that makes me think we can stop Michigan's power running game. I hope I'm wrong.

I've always thought Illinois, Iowa, and Maryland could all sneak up and beat PSU this year but we should feel better about our chances after yesterday. Illinois barely got past Toledo and they lost in total yards, 1st downs, and time of possession. I expected Iowa to have a good defense and an improved offense with McNamara but Utah State played them even after a tough first quarter. Maryland played Towson so there was nothing to learn from that game.

I'll stick with 10-2 but not necessarily a loss to OSU. 11-1 remains a possibility but DT & MLB play will have to improve. Maybe Izzard & Vanover can help.

Overall I agree. I think the WR grade is generous. Some catchable balls hit the ground.

Overall I agree. I think the WR grade is generous. Some catchable balls hit the ground.

I think the A- was more for the expectations being exceeded than purely performance, but I'm just making an assumption.

I'd probably go B- because Allar did put 3 catchable balls out there and 2 of the 3 could have been TDs. The KLS drop should have been a 1st down, but had Allar led him that could have been a TD.

Reactions: paradox1984
I think the A- was more for the expectations being exceeded than purely performance, but I'm just making an assumption.

I'd probably go B- because Allar did put 3 catchable balls out there and 2 of the 3 could have been TDs. The KLS drop should have been a 1st down, but had Allar led him that could have been a TD.
Fair enough...with the drops an A of any kind seems too high for me.

Reactions: lazydave841
Pretty close to what I saw except:

I thought our DBs missed a few assignments even if it only burned the team once. I’m slightly concerned there.

No way I give special teams anything but an F. There was another punt that I’m still not sure how WVU missed blocking it. Several bad decisions in fair catches too. All correctable, but it wasn’t a passing grade to me.

I would have liked to have seen more downfield passes to go with the sideline throws, but I understand starting safely and not wanting to show the playbook.

I thought Singleton and Allen ran with power and purpose. They earned an A from me. Passing got the reps, which was a smart move by the coaching staff for the games to be played later this season.

WR shined.

Reactions: lazydave841
Pretty close to what I saw except I thought our DBs missed a few assignments even if it only burned the team once. I’m slightly concerned there.

No way I give special teams anything but an F. There was another punt that I’m still not sure how WVU missed blocking it. Several bad decisions in fair catches too. All correctable, but it wasn’t a passing grade to me.

I would have liked to have seen more downfield passes to go with the sideline throws, but I understand starting safely and not wanting to show the playbook.

I thought Singleton and
I think the pass play where we got burned was a LB assignment.

As far as the special teams grade... Iowa only returned 1 kick for 20 yds and 1 punt for 4 yds. PSU's long snapper looked good. We were 5-5 on XPs. For me that was good enough to avoid an F. ;)

Reactions: bison13 and mcpat
QB A-
I was very impressed with Allar. He has amazing arm strength and I like the way he buys time stepping up in the pocket. The only negative is he had a couple of passes that could have been intercepted but overall better than expected. Let's see how he does when throwing into tighter windows.

OL B-
The expectation was that this would be one of PSU's best OLs and it was going up against a weak WVa defense. Allar faced plenty of pressure and often had to use his mobility to escape trouble. The running game was solid but not spectacular. I might be too critical here but I was looking for a more dominant performance against a presumably weak defense.

RB B+
Singleton & Allen both averaged > 5 yds per carry. I liked the inside screen to Carter for 15 yds. A couple of 5 yard runs looked like they could have gone a long way if not tripped up.

TE ?
A lot of us expected more passing to the TEs given the uncertainty at WR. I think Warren was targeted twice with one catch. I don't think Johnson wasn't targeted. Maybe somebody else can comment on their blocking.

WR A-
This was a question going into the game and the WRs were very good. Smith and Wallace were both solid and Clifford/McClain were pleasant surprises. I think McClain in particular is going to have a good year for PSU. My only question is how they'll do against better defenses. WVa DBs played 10 yds deep and our guys and they couldn't keep up athletically. Will they be able to get better separation against better defenses that use press man coverage?

DL B-
WVa is supposed to have a great OL and a weak passing game. Giving up 146 rushing yards isn't horrible but I think our guys got bullied a bit. We didn't put up much of a challenge on 3rd and 4th and short.
P.S. IMO the play where WVa had 2 QBs on the field was the worst play call of the day, partly because PSU hadn't shown the ability to stop 2-3 yd carries up the middle.

LB C+
Jacobs was very good. Carter took some bad angles and missed his gap responsibility a few times. Some of that might be caused by Diaz' scheme where he prioritizes moving Carter around in pursuit of explosive plays. Deluca & Elsdon struggled. Kobe King was OK.

DB A
I'm not sure how much was due to WVa's poor passing attack but our DBs looked solid. Jaylen Reed looked very good which is important with Jayir Brown gone.

Special teams D
One kick return for 19 yds. One punt return for -2 yds. 1-3 on FGs. Thompson had a 29 yd punt but his second punt was better at 46 yds.
P.S. Sahaydak put a good strike on both missed FGs which tells me he wasn't afraid of the environment. Nothing against Felkins but I hope he gets another chance.

Predictions:
OSU only scored 23 at Indiana. I assume they'll get better but so will PSU. I think we have a 50/50 chance of beating them on the road this year.

I saw nothing in our DL and at MLB that makes me think we can stop Michigan's power running game. I hope I'm wrong.

I've always thought Illinois, Iowa, and Maryland could all sneak up and beat PSU this year but we should feel better about our chances after yesterday. Illinois barely got past Toledo and they lost in total yards, 1st downs, and time of possession. I expected Iowa to have a good defense and an improved offense with McNamara but Utah State played them even after a tough first quarter. Maryland played Towson so there was nothing to learn from that game.

I'll stick with 10-2 but not necessarily a loss to OSU. 11-1 remains a possibility but DT & MLB play will have to improve. Maybe Izzard & Vanover can help.

The MLB position has been and continues to be the weakest link on defense. I can’t be too critical of DeLuca, Elsdon and King at MLB.

We knew before the season began that they were limited athletically, not very good in pass coverage, and in one case a terrible tackler.

Why would any fan expect these guys to perform beyond their capabilities?

Our best bet is for Tony Rojas to develop quickly and Manny Diaz to scheme his way around this obvious weakness.

As far as the special teams grade... Iowa only returned 1 kick for 20 yds and 1 punt for 4 yds. PSU's long snapper looked good. We were 5-5 on XPs. For me that was good enough to avoid an F. ;)

It was not a LB assignment - the receiver who caught ball was lined up split all the way out on the right sideline. The Corner on that side took the inside receiver because the Corner on the other side was blitzing. The Safety was supposed to move over and pick up the WR who caught ball running a simple Fly Pattern. The WR who caught ball on play should have been picked up by a deep Defensive Back - the coverage was blown by the Secondary who had a Corner-Blitz on the other side of LOS and missed their "Assignments"/"Shifts".

Reactions: rcy4499

If so it was a lousy defensive scheme.

WV was well coached with a number of solid players. Their QB played an excellent game and one TD was scored on our first tean D. The most glaring weakness was our play in the middle of the defensive line and at defensive end/ linebacker that allowed their QB to go wide. Our first game with time to improve. Perfection is a goal that is rarely achieved but with solid play I expect the D to be excellent. I expect many teams will blitz our OL until we show we can handle it. I note it is difficult to place blame on a LB or DE until we actually know their assignments.

I predict that two weeks from today West Virginia will be 2 - 1.
So they beat Duquesne....and Pitt. That somehow makes Brown a good coach and Greene a good QB.
It's okay to acknowledge WVU is a bad team. We beat them just the way we're supposed to beat bad teams.
This is like last year when people wanted to believe Auburn was good.

So they beat Duquesne....and Pitt. That somehow makes Brown a good coach and Greene a good QB.
It's okay to acknowledge WVU is a bad team. We beat them just the way we're supposed to beat bad teams.
This is like last year when people wanted to believe Auburn was good.
I'm not saying WVU is an elite team. I just think they are better than the pitters.

I'm not saying WVU is an elite team. I just think they are better than the pitters.
We'll obviously find out. Pitt hasn't been tested yet but WVU isn't impressive. Pitt is also far from great so either team can win but Pitt is definitely going to be favored. It benefits us if WVU wins but what are you basing them being better than Pitt on? Certainly not what we saw Saturday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT