ADVERTISEMENT

Tics, Ticks, Pancetta and Bacon ...

^^^^^
Knockemstiff, Ohio. Surprised we got him to come here instead of Piscataway.😁

The milton River rats add to the flavor
No sh&t. If you've ever been to that plant, those tomatoes sit outside in open trailers for days. The smell is something I'll never forget. The juice just leaks from the trailers.

No sh&t. If you've ever been to that plant, those tomatoes sit outside in open trailers for days. The smell is something I'll never forget. The juice just leaks from the trailers.
I enjoy a nice cold glass of tomato juice. Home made is the best. Campbell's will do in a pinch.

I’m allergic to tomatoes since a tick bite in 2019. 😭
Then you have an Alpha-Gal allergy. Sorry to hear that. I pray I never get bit by a Lone Star tick and I'm constantly around them in NC with my land and the horses I do. I spay my boots and pant legs starting in February, every damn day.

Reactions: LOTOlion
I’m allergic to tomatoes since a tick bite in 2019. 😭

Then you have an Alpha-Gal allergy. Sorry to hear that. I pray I never get bit by a Lone Star tick and I'm constantly around them in NC with my land and the horses I do. I spay my boots and pant legs starting in February, every damn day.
giphy.gif

That’s exactly what it is. It’s pretty devastating as I love fresh garden tomatoes. Taco Bell tried to kill me last year…. I know I asked for no tomatoes.

That’s exactly what it is. It’s pretty devastating as I love fresh garden tomatoes. Taco Bell tried to kill me last year…. I know I asked for no tomatoes.
Holy sheep dip. Their tomatoes are like Chef Boyardee. They all are light pink and taste like sh&t! No matter the state, they are awful. Lol. I feel for you.

Holy sheep dip. Their tomatoes are like Chef Boyardee. They all are light pink and taste like sh&t! No matter the state, they are awful. Lol. I feel for you.
It was nothing my epipen couldn’t handle.. 😵‍💫

I deal with so much sh&t regarding horses, it's nuts. From Ivermectin to Maple poisoning. Ticks are a bad deal and they're everywhere here.

Yes sir. I anyways thought the ticks in Pa were bad.. then I moved to Missouri. I can’t go to the mailbox and not get those bastards
You'll love this story. I went back home several years ago. I'm sittin at the bar at the Forksville Inn. 2 linemen are there talking about ticks. So I pop in. What do you mean ticks. They say, you ain't from around here, they're everywhere. You're right, I just grew up here, fished every fking stream within 100 miles, hunted every mountain as well. Grew up at Shore Acres, Eder's Ice Cream, the Sportsman's Club. But wtf would I know? I also graduated from Montoursville. I have never seen a tick in these parts in my life.

They didn't believe me until a buddy popped up and said, he ain't lyin. That boy knows every inch of trout streams around here.

Now, it's the GD capital of Lyme disease.

Yes sir. I anyways thought the ticks in Pa were bad.. then I moved to Missouri. I can’t go to the mailbox and not get those bastards
Living in central Missouri, I agree. I’ve pulled 50 off of a chocolate lab that was in the woods for an hour or two. That why we adore opossums.

Living in central Missouri, I agree. I’ve pulled 50 off of a chocolate lab that was in the woods for an hour or two. That why we adore opossums.
Same in Arkansas, especially when Seed Ticks are out in full force. I feel like I pull them off the dog by the dozens everytime she goes out in the woods. And a couple deer Ticks every time she goes out to go to the bathroom. Thankfully, they don't seem to like me as much. Of course, in 21 years of living in PA, spent hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping, I never got a single tick. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Same in Arkansas, especially when Seed Ticks are out in full force. I feel like I pull them off the dog by the dozens everytime she goes out in the woods. And a couple deer Ticks every time she goes out to go to the bathroom. Thankfully, they don't seem to like me as much. Of course, in 21 years of living in PA, spent hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping, I never got a single tick. Maybe I'm just lucky!
I never had a tick in PA either. And I grew up in the woods of Elk County. My father was a Conservation Officer (PA Fish Commission) so you can imagine the time I spent in the outdoors.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I can feel a tick right away if I'm just sitting or standing. When I'm working it's another story. They usually end up around my belt line. Min of 4 or 5 a day. Use bravecto on dogs. Excellent for fleas too. They won't burrow into the skin. Quachita mountains, Arkansas

Last edited:
I had Lyme disease in the late 80s. I had an outdoors job in Chester County at the time and that was when most people, even the medical professionals, had never heard of Lyme disease. I discovered it immediately and was treated, but still had a nagging assortment of "stuff" that I blamed on Lyme. Fast forward to the late 2010s and I got it again in Potter County and this time it really kicked my ass. All of the standard stuff, but also a litany of cognitive issues and this time it wasn't easy to get rid of. I feel that I'm mostly over it now (still have a few weird issues that I'm sure are Lyme related) and now I live seasonally in South Carolina (and the rest of the year in Potter County, which is still overrun with the little bastards). Ticks suck.

Absolutely love possums for the same reason!! I can do with out the armadillos though

Yes. The seed ticks.. Man do I HATE those things! Never even heard of them till I got to Missouri

Reactions: OzarkLion
I used to pick tomatoes as a kid for the plant in Milton. No fking way would I eat that sh&t. If you only knew what happens to those tomatoes. Ever wonder why every can in the world tastes exactly the same?
I also picked tomatoes for them and Furman's. I remember the tomato festival as well good times

Absolutely love possums for the same reason!! I can do with out the armadillos though
Especially bringing bale's of hay out of a field. Hit a Dillo hole with a small tire tractor and you will end up sitting on your pearls. I keep my empty water bottles to mark them .

Reactions: LOTOlion
I also picked for the same plant. The school would bus us till one of the girls was caught on the bus with one of the migrant workers. The farm I worked for was owned by a Shetler.
Didn't realize so many on this board were from the Milton area. I grew up in Watsontown right down the road just golfed at wynding brook yesterday the old tubot hills course. Brought back memories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT