ADVERTISEMENT

Carter final opponent strategy

kps7987

Aug 27, 2016
I enjoy the strategy and gameplanning of which it seems PSU staff is superior as per their semifinal and final results through the years. I have been hearing a lot of analyst say that Lewis, Griffith, and Welsh should have been more active to push the pace and make Carter work more form his feet due to the injury. I was wondering from those of you that wrestled is this easier said than done? Does Carter's Head/hands defense and staling prevent this? Does his positioning and strength prevent the non-committed shots due to his abilty to finish and score points? How would a Mesenbrink/Carter match look with injury and without injury?

Also what would a health Carter/Keckheisen match look like? Carter/O'Toole?

Reactions: Dogwelder
I enjoy the strategy and gameplanning of which it seems PSU staff is superior as per their semifinal and final results through the years. I have been hearing a lot of analyst say that Lewis, Griffith, and Welsh should have been more active to push the pace and make Carter work more form his feet due to the injury. I was wondering from those of you that wrestled is this easier said than done? Does Carter's Head/hands defense and staling prevent this? Does his positioning and strength prevent the non-committed shots due to his abilty to finish and score points? How would a Mesenbrink/Carter match look with injury and without injury?

Those 3 guys are not known to wrestle aggressively against a quality opponent, but yes, everything is easier said than done against Carter.

On a related note, Askren said, very strongly, on FRL that he would attack the injured leg, and not the healthy leg. (Edit: He was debunking a listener-supplied hypothesis that attacking the healthy leg would force the injured leg to do all the work.) He thinks that it is not easy to elevate a healthy leg to force the injured leg to do all the work.

Last edited:
On a related note, Askren said, very strongly, on FRL that he would attack the injured leg, and not the healthy leg. He thinks that it is not easy to elevate a healthy leg to force the injured leg to do all the work.
That was much to do about nothing on the finals broadcast. Every athlete would attack a weakness of their opponent as long as it doesn’t leave them exposed. A weakness can be due to injury, athleticism or style.

That was much to do about nothing on the finals broadcast. Every athlete would attack a weakness of their opponent as long as it doesn’t leave them exposed. A weakness can be due to injury, athleticism or style.
That was Burroughs, not Askren, on the broadcast.

Reactions: creamery freak

I loved our match strategy for all 6 finalists actually. I was not a fan of the strategy for Kasak losing to Abas: I felt like wrestling conservative would allow him to guile Tyler to a win.

It is hard to overstate what a phenomenal accomplishment it was for Carter to not only win the title on one good leg, but to shut out all of those amazing wrestlers in the process. I think his fourth title will go down as one of the greater tournament achievements in our lifetimes.

It is hard to overstate what a phenomenal accomplishment it was for Carter to not only win the title on one good leg, but to shut out all of those amazing wrestlers in the process. I think his fourth title will go down as one of the greater tournament achievements in our lifetimes.
His mental game is second to none. He had all 3 beaten before they took the mat.

I suspect we were confident Welsh couldn't take Carter down. Welsh has no offense unless he can outmuscle an opponent. He actually wrestled ten 1-TD matches and five 0-TD matches this year. He had 1 total TD in regulation at NCAAs.

I think the strategy was as much Ryan as Cael, though. We were likely thinking we could ride Welsh in the 3rd. When RW chose neutral, it was clear they were trying to play defense for 6 minutes and 30 seconds, then steal a late TD. It was the same strategy as Feldman against Kerk.

Last edited:
I suspect we were confident Welsh couldn't take Carter down. Welsh has no offense unless he can outmuscle an opponent. He actually wrestled ten 1-TD matches and five 0-TD matches this year. He had 1 total TD in regulation at NCAAs.

I think the strategy was as much Ryan as Cael, though. We were likely thinking we could ride Welsh in the 3rd. When RW chose neutral, it was clear they were trying to play defense for 6 minutes and 30 seconds, then steal a late TD. It was the same strategy as Feldman against Kerk.
All the more reason the hype train needs to slow a bit on Welsh winning multiple NCs. He had a cakewalk to the finals. Without consistent offense, he’s likely to plateau once he gets game-planned for.

All the more reason the hype train needs to slow a bit on Welsh winning multiple NCs. He had a cakewalk to the finals. Without consistent offense, he’s likely to plateau once he gets game-planned for.
Who's saying he will "win multiple NCs"? He'll likely be a contender (and an AA) for the rest of his career, but who knows if he'll actually win even one. I'll take Gabe over Rocco most of the time, I'm interested to see what Facundo looks like when he gets back to folkstyle, and it seems likely KOT will be a 174 next year, too.

Who's saying he will "win multiple NCs"? He'll likely be a contender (and an AA) for the rest of his career, but who knows if he'll actually win even one. I'll take Gabe over Rocco most of the time, I'm interested to see what Facundo looks like when he gets back to folkstyle, and it seems likely KOT will be a 174 next year, too.
Don't forget Hamiti also. Going to be a crowded field at 174, unless Carter returns. Then it's Carter and the field fighting for second.

Don't forget Hamiti also. Going to be a crowded field at 174, unless Carter returns. Then it's Carter and the field fighting for second.

I'll be surprised if Carter doesn't come back. As much as he might not like school, his passion for competing will win out. With his injury at the end of the season, I'm sure he feels he has some unfinished business at the college level.

And he will also make a few bucks in trying to become a 5-timer and a Hodge winner. For those that didn't listen to Jeff Byers during NCAA's, Blaise Alexander ran about a hundred ads with Carter as the spokesperson.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues

I think the answer to this is much like David Taylor's quote about how if you've spent your entire life winning matches 4-2, you don't just become more offensive oriented in college. If you're entire career you've been mostly a defensive/counter wrestler like at least Lewis and Welsh are then its easier said than done to start pushing the pace. In terms of Griffin, he was pretty badly injured himself so probably just wasn't able to generate offense to take advantage of Carter's injury.

bUcKeYe FaN. The hype train is real for the “Young Bucks”.

I'll be surprised if Carter doesn't come back. As much as he might not like school, his passion for competing will win out. With his injury at the end of the season, I'm sure he feels he has some unfinished business at the college level.

And he will also make a few bucks in trying to become a 5-timer and a Hodge winner. For those that didn't listen to Jeff Byers during NCAA's, Blaise Alexander ran about a hundred ads with Carter as the spokesperson.
Here is an Iowa guy who says they are ALL coming back

Reactions: bourbon n blues
They didn't take any chances, Carter went out to get his takedown, Welsh stalled, Carter got his point, and Welsh didn't want to go under.

Checkmate.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
bUcKeYe FaN. The hype train is real for the “Young Bucks”.
The "Young Bucks" do look very promising, but I'm not willing to go from there to "multiple championships" yet at all. Obviously, Mendez is in the best position since he has one, but Bouzakis, Feldman, and Rocco are at the "contender" level, and Rogotzke, Kilkeary, and eventually Davino are "potential contenders".

I think the answer to this is much like David Taylor's quote about how if you've spent your entire life winning matches 4-2, you don't just become more offensive oriented in college. If you're entire career you've been mostly a defensive/counter wrestler like at least Lewis and Welsh are then its easier said than done to start pushing the pace. In terms of Griffin, he was pretty badly injured himself so probably just wasn't able to generate offense to take advantage of Carter's injury.
Welsh was a defensive/counter wrestler this year but was not one in HS. Far from it -- he teched the entire bracket at Hershey (including Bechtold) his JR year.

Which kinda emphasizes Taylor's point. It gets a lot harder at the next level, even for the HS offensive dynamos.

Who knows, but Carter coming back could cost us a kid to the Portal, maybe Facundo. I think Carter has done more than enough in folkstyle.

I was originally enamored with the idea of the one and only 5xer ever. Now it seems more of just a covid asterisk oddity. Then there is always the chance he sits out until January and never hits his full stride or another injury screws things up. I am good with 4, but opinions are like....

Who knows, but Carter coming back could cost us a kid to the Portal, maybe Facundo. I think Carter has done more than enough in folkstyle.

I was originally enamored with the idea of the one and only 5xer ever. Now it seems more of just a covid asterisk oddity. Then there is always the chance he sits out until January and never hits his full stride or another injury screws things up. I am good with 4, but opinions are like....
I agree with you. Walk away now and the story cannot get any better. Hard to top winning #4 on one leg with 3 shutouts in a row, 2 against former champs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT