ADVERTISEMENT

Willie's Crystal Ball Predictions

Zerban has beaten no one other than Cardenas. he could certainly win Big 12's but there's chittum, mauller, teague travis, ryder downey (who beat peyton robb) and cael swensen who are all Top 16.

as it stands now, it grinds my gears that he's ranked #2 and would be the 2nd seed.
He also beat Saldate but point taken, his quality wins are thin until he gets into B12s.

Only thing that really stands out to me is Davis at 4th. I think he's more likely to go 1-2 than take 4th. However, with the parity at 125, he could also make the finals! I'm just not sold on him.
I don't disagree with your analysis honestly but I think a big part of everyone's doubts with Davis is where he was ranked out of HS. It's just human nature. Replace his name with Luke Lilledahl and I guarantee you people think differently right now, even if Luke lost to Kilkeary.

I believe you. Just would like to read it. Can you post a link?
jmadden1998 said:
Mike McCormick, the National Coordinator of Wrestling Officials, sent out the following announcement following this weekend's NCAA wrestling action.
Officials and Coaches:

"As a reminder, the only rule change this season regarding reaction time in takedown situations applies to the rear standing position / hand touch takedown, which has been eliminated. In all other takedown situations, reaction time still exists.

"During the last two weeks of wrestling competition, there were several scramble situations from the neutral position where takedowns were or were not awarded. In one of these situations, a takedown should have been awarded as control was established beyond reaction time. In another situation, a takedown was awarded and then withdrawn after video review and conference with the assistant official. To be clear, reaction time should not have been the determining factor in the awarding of a takedown in either situation.

All officials strive to apply the wrestling rules fairly and consistently. Week after week, hundreds of excellent calls are made. Unfortunately, officials are not infallible and on occasion, erroneous calls may occur. This presents an opportunity for all officials to learn and work to improve and collectively, we remain committed to excellence in officiating."

Lol, if you didn't watch the replay of the end of the 125 match and think it was a TD, an official statement isn't changing your mind. It couldn't have been more obvious.

yes, i live here. got kicked out of easton.

haven't made it up to sandpoint yet.
Head here for a drink if you do.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/09/a4/38/8a/eichardt-s-pub.jpg

By the way, the loop drive up to Bonner’s Ferry, across to Libby Mt, and making your way back to CdA or Sandpoint is amazing. And any drive up to Canada on the main route is great. In the spring when the snow banks start melting along that road = carnage. The logging trucks do not stop and plow into so many animals. They get frozen into the snow banks. When the melt comes, all the coyotes, wolves and such come to feast. It’s crazy - every 50 yards there’s a carcass sticking out.

By the way, the loop drive up to Bonner’s Ferry, across to Libby Mt, and making your way back to CdA or Sandpoint is amazing. And any drive up to Canada on the main route is great. In the spring when the snow banks start melting along that road = carnage. The logging trucks do not stop and plow into so many animals. They get frozen into the snow banks. When the melt comes, all the coyotes, wolves and such come to feast. It’s crazy - every 50 yards there’s a carcass sticking out.

The first time I saw the Northern Lights was not far outside of Sandpoint.

Reactions: danoftw
Real good chance that's how the seeds line up: 1 Levi, 2 Zerban, 3 Teemer, 4 Shapiro.

The big caveat is that Shapiro lost to Cardenas earlier this year and would have to beat him at EIWAs.

Also, if those are the top 4 seeds, the 5 seed is completely up for grabs. And the 13 seed could be somebody dangerous like, say, Chittum.
Cardenas is in the Pac-12 not EIWAs. Looking at who Shapiro would have the rest of the way: the match to circle is against Ed Scott on 2-16, I think he cruises through everything else until NCAA's. So assuming Shapiro ends the year 24-2 what do people think he would get seeded (with no way of knowing how the rest of the landscape is gonna shake out)

We just bought a cabin and property on Priest River up by the lake that's an hour north of Cd'A. The logging trucks are still what powers the area. You are right about that drive its gorgeous. The panhandle is amazing. Anyone lucky enough to live up here knows this.

I watched the "old" True Grit two nights ago.
Lucky Ned Pepper and the outlaw Tom Chaney @HikeNatParks 😆
Original is one of my favorites, though the newer one’s pretty good, too. Mattie Ross rocks a million one-liners in it. Tech fall bonus points for film locations in Colorado’s gorgeous San Juan Mts and its quaking aspen groves. My son and I got a taste of high-country aspens two autumns ago in a hike to Colorado’s Lone Eagle Peak. Damn, Sett, now you got ME wanting to watch it again!

yes, i live here. got kicked out of easton.

haven't made it up to sandpoint yet.
Can’t miss a trip over to Glacier Natl Park (5 hrs away). If not to hike or spot grizzlies and moose, just to drive Going-to-the-Sun Road. Wait till mid-Sept weekdays to avoid crowds. Dare to try but a few miles of Highline Trail from Logan Pass, and you’ll be hooked on hiking, not wrestling. :)

Can’t miss a trip over to Glacier Natl Park (5 hrs away). If not to hike or spot grizzlies and moose, just to drive Going-to-the-Sun Road. Wait till mid-Sept weekdays to avoid crowds. Dare to try but a few miles of Highline Trail from Logan Pass, and you’ll be hooked on hiking, not wrestling. :)
two years ago when we arrived at Logan pass shortly after dawn, and I looked around me, the words of job 38 came rushing into my head. Unforgettable.

Cardenas is in the Pac-12 not EIWAs. Looking at who Shapiro would have the rest of the way: the match to circle is against Ed Scott on 2-16, I think he cruises through everything else until NCAA's. So assuming Shapiro ends the year 24-2 what do people think he would get seeded (with no way of knowing how the rest of the landscape is gonna shake out)
Good catch on Cardenas. My extra strength idiot pills worked.

he beat former AA DeAugustino, who beat Drake. he also beat former AA Kaylor by a wide margin.
yes i know he beat two former AAs who have been up and down the past two years. i want to see more before i believe a non-elite recruit made this big a jump right away.

we’ve seen blips like this before. abe assad came out and had a great midlands, then beat venz. we all thought he’d be a perennial top 8 guy after that, but he came down to earth.

For example, the NCAA head of officials put out a statement saying he should have lost to Kilkeary and Kilkeary would not be ranked if he were the starter. He has several ugly losses.
@mcpat asked you to post a link. You'd think such news would be all over the internet yet I haven't found it anywhere and would like to read the details. Could you please post a link.

@mcpat asked you to post a link. You'd think such news would be all over the internet yet I haven't found it anywhere and would like to read the details. Could you please post a link.
It’s above in the thread. Post #44. Not a link but the actual statement the official put out

yes i know he beat two former AAs who have been up and down the past two years. i want to see more before i believe a non-elite recruit made this big a jump right away.

we’ve seen blips like this before. abe assad came out and had a great midlands, then beat venz. we all thought he’d be a perennial top 8 guy after that, but he came down to earth.

It's obviously not true what we are seeing from Davis. There is a really long thread from an Iowa fan who has told us that our head coach is a complete failure (the great Krailure) and can't develop anyone and only wins because he illegally pays all of the top 3 pound for pound talents. He seems like a very trusted source, who knows a lot about power lifting and our cheating ways. I'm sure you are aware of what I'm referring to, as it's the best thread up in dis bitch!

that's fair if you were talking about any other weight in any other year.

who at 125 hasn't been up and down?

who at 125 do you feel confident in taking Top 5?

when doing projections/picks you have to put someone top 4 or 5 and Davis, at the moment, has as good a case as any.

when doing projections/picks you have to put someone top 4 or 5 and Davis, at the moment, has as good a case as any.
I’m most confident in Ramos. Finalist last year and he hasn’t lost since Cliff Keen on Dec 1. He has beaten 4 ranked guys since then, Ayala, Barnett, Peterson and Molton.

Throw Lilledahl in there and I truly think those 3 would AA this year with a decent chance of one of them winning it all. Crazy talk? Individually I don’t think so considering their wins this year but having all 3 AA and one of them winning it all is maybe a bit crazy
He mentioned those two because they have both beaten the #1 ranked 125 at the time in tournaments, although in Forrest's case, the #1 was Stanich, who is likely redshirting, so that was more of a hot take than a serious #1.

Lol, if you didn't watch the replay of the end of the 125 match and think it was a TD, an official statement isn't changing your mind. It couldn't have been more obvious.
yea it was a td I thought Davis had the leg but didn't he should have lost but we will take it!

He mentioned those two because they have both beaten the #1 ranked 125 at the time in tournaments, although in Forrest's case, the #1 was Stanich, who is likely redshirting, so that was more of a hot take than a serious #1.
I’m aware. I put Lilledahl in because he beat Jax this season plus I thought the idea of 3 high school kids AA would be something else

Reactions: SlipperyPete12

I think we agree here. I said he could make the finals with how crazy the weight is. My only contention would be if I had to pick people to place top 4 at this point, I'd lean on guys with larger track records and/or have done it before.

If in the next few weeks, he sweeps Ayala, Peterson, and Smith that changes my perspective considerably. Maybe even if he only goes 2-1, honestly.

Could also be recency bias. I've never been high on Kilkeary and the fact he (should have) lost that match tells me he hasn't made the enormous jump from where he was a year ago when you had him ranked as a good, not great recruit.

Reactions: mcpat
Throw Lilledahl in there and I truly think those 3 would AA this year with a decent chance of one of them winning it all. Crazy talk? Individually I don’t think so considering their wins this year but having all 3 AA and one of them winning it all is maybe a bit crazy
It's such a crazy weight because there are tons of guys with skins on the wall, but none of them look as good as they did earlier in their careers. Might say something about holding 125 for 5-6 years.

Reactions: zzs006
I think we agree here. I said he could make the finals with how crazy the weight is. My only contention would be if I had to pick people to place top 4 at this point, I'd lean on guys with larger track records and/or have done it before.

If in the next few weeks, he sweeps Ayala, Peterson, and Smith that changes my perspective considerably. Maybe even if he only goes 2-1, honestly.

Could also be recency bias. I've never been high on Kilkeary and the fact he (should have) lost that match tells me he hasn't made the enormous jump from where he was a year ago when you had him ranked as a good, not great recruit.
The Kaylor match is the one where he really showed off his potential. He jumped from the opening whistle and got two TDs and a turn in the first minute and a half, and then sort of had a moment of "WTF is happening, it can't be this easy" and went into a defensive shell until Kaylor mounted a little comeback. Then he flipped the switch again and got the match-sealing TD at-will. If he can bottle the aggressive moments he had in that match and wrestle like that for 7 full minutes, he will be very dangerous. He was much more tentative against Kilkeary for the whole match. He also lost twice to Kilkeary in HS, so he may have had a little mental block going in against him, too.

Tomorrow's match against Ayala is a major milestone for him.

It's obviously not true what we are seeing from Davis. There is a really long thread from an Iowa fan who has told us that our head coach is a complete failure (the great Krailure) and can't develop anyone and only wins because he illegally pays all of the top 3 pound for pound talents. He seems like a very trusted source, who knows a lot about power lifting and our cheating ways. I'm sure you are aware of what I'm referring to, as it's the best thread up in dis bitch!
colin jost snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I'm curious where you would put Ayala in March.

I don't disagree with your analysis honestly but I think a big part of everyone's doubts with Davis is where he was ranked out of HS. It's just human nature. Replace his name with Luke Lilledahl and I guarantee you people think differently right now, even if Luke lost to Kilkeary.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts basically. I get if you have a better history, you get more benefit of the doubt but nobody would have picked Davis to be beating AA level guys as a HS senior.

I am not sold on all 3 being definitive AA’s because of Blaze’s loss to Brayden Palmer where he got rode hard. All three are more than talented enough in neutral to beat anyone in NCAA and Jax can get plenty of turns against NQ types but I am not confident that they would be able to consistently get out against the veteran 125s.

Reactions: zzs006
two years ago when we arrived at Logan pass shortly after dawn, and I looked around me, the words of job 38 came rushing into my head. Unforgettable.
I’m with you. Partial to the eastern side of the park (Many Glacier, Two Medicine), but Logan Pass (and getting to it) is special. Apologies to others for taking the thread “off-trail” (ha).
30 some hours till two more of contorted body English on the edge of a chair, and a leap or two after a particularly satisfying win. Will watch in the basement to limit damage to furnishings.

Agreed. The transitives mean nothing and the loss to unranked Kilkeary happened. Still high as ever on the kid, but Ayala is the telling mid-term exam. For me, Braedon doesn’t have to win the match to pass the test.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT